Sign in to follow this  
quicksand

Operation Flashpoint references in Arma2?

Hi all.As we are all growing in anticipation of Arma 2 impending release,I think like me most of us breathed a sigh of relief when we discovered the developers want to bring a true sequel to OF,are working hard to bring to the table a well rounded immersive storyline something Armed Assault clearly missed.

What I'm wondering is...Can we expect any passing mentions to Operation Flashpoint story back in 1985 like references to the "incident" that almost started WW3 and how they want to avoid that now or maybe explaining what happend to Armstrong OR even seeing him in the game in his 40s...

BIS is , judging by the trailers,suggesting they are making the much awaited sequel to OF  and not codies and that they have all the rights to music,story etc. except for the name at a time when Codemasters is using some dubious to say the least marketing schemes.

Well the question is if anyone else even cares about this and is it worth seeing in Arma2 or not..I personally think that many fans who are not even on this forums would get a smile hearkening back to their much loved game they played 8 years ago from their sp campaign if so...

Just gimme the flashpoint-atmosphere and music and I'll be happy.

OFP was a remarkable game and one of the greatest experiences I've had as a gamer. That said, I think OFP characters should be left in peace. I think BI is a creative bunch and they can come up with new characters that are as believable and lovable as David Armstrong, James Gastowski and Robert Hammer smile_o.gif. I don't mind having a few remixed tracks from OFP returning with ArmA2, having new renditions of Main Theme, Frost, The Fallen or Heroes, that would save some time converting old OFP music for my missions smile_o.gif.

ArmA Camapaign Spoiler Below

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

Didn't Armstrong die in that mission where you blow up the bridges in Dolores? I mean I guess it could've been another Armstrong but I always had the impression it was mean't to be the same one.

Besides being the wrong service (army vs Marines) IF Armstrong were still in the service, he should be at least a Lt. Col, but would most likely be either a Full Bird, or 1-star. Not someone you would probably see in game as anything other than a walk-on cameo.

What Jakerod said is correct. If X makes an appearance in ArmA 2, I'll simultaneously eat this table and be quite pissed at BIS.

What Jakerod said is correct. If X makes an appearance in ArmA 2, I'll simultaneously eat this table and be quite pissed at BIS.

I haven't played the ArmA campaign in some time so I don't remember Armstrong dying, does he in fact die?

Yeah, you get a radio message saying something along the lines of...

Quote[/b] ]...we've taken heavy casualties, including Captain Armstrong...

Note that this isn't an exact quote.

I suppose this isn't a "he's dead" message, but given the context of when the message is received (i.e. everyone getting the piss beaten out of them) I would think so.

The more I think of it, however, the more the possibility arises that he isn't perhaps dead.

I don't think it's even worth caring about events in the ArmA campaign when talking about OFP/A2. It's wasn't exactly BIS's best work whistle.gif

Well a walk-in cameo was all I was asking in the first place, a passing mention but for now I will seat back and consider replaying Arma campaign because I'm ashamed to admit I've had no idea Armstrong appeared in there,I've found the campaign so horrid when I've tried it that I've abandoned it swearing never to touch it again...

But Placebo's whistle.gif all but guarantees references will be there,that is if I'm not erring in interpreting his  whistle.gif   wink_o.gif

The more I think of it, however, the more the possibility arises that he isn't perhaps dead.

Yeah they could always pull a "That wasn't Armstrong it was his younger brother or some other guy named Armstrong." I always thought of it as him.

I think he would've been higher than Captain in real life too, assuming that he stayed in the military because he was a Lieutenant during CWC so that is only 1 more rank, 2 at the best.

The only character they could really bring back if the Army doesn't make an appearance is Sam Nichols. He flew an A-10 which is Air Force, granted he also flew a Blackhawk, AH-1 and Apache all of which are Army. I guess Gastovski could come back too although he would be kind of old. Perhaps his old friend could make a return too and be haunting the countryside.

EDIT: And also.... Come on Tasmanian Devil! I always wanted BIS to tell us who he was or show his fate or something. Would've been cool to have a hidden mission where you play as him.

EDIT: And also.... Come on Tasmanian Devil! I always wanted BIS to tell us who he was or show his fate or something.

I was totally going to say this.

At the end of that HD ArmA 2 trailer, where you're apparently being held captive by the rebels, it sounds like just before the screen goes black, one of the guys says:

"Sorry to leave you so soon, Aleksi. I thought we were becoming friends."

Well, Guba's full title was General Aleksi Vasilli Guba. wink_o.gif

Though I may be hearing it wrong.

At the end of that HD ArmA 2 trailer, where you're apparently being held captive by the rebels, it sounds like just before the screen goes black, one of the guys says:

"Sorry to leave you so soon, Aleksi. I thought we were becoming friends."

Well, Guba's full title was General Aleksi Vasilli Guba. wink_o.gif

Though I may be hearing it wrong.

He says "Sorry to leave you so soon Razor team, I thought we were becoming friends..."

And regarding Armstrong - wasn't he serving in the Army?

Armstrong in ArmA is african-american, lol. I think we should leave OFP behind us and its good that they didnt show who tasmanian devil was. It would ruin it. He dies anyway.

This is new war on new island with new armies/factions. OFP was kinda fake either, becouse there wasnt any armed conflict between some Soviet union general and America. Even SLA is maybe more belivable if you look it this way. You could interprete them as some terrors. RACS have similiar flag to izrael, most blufor units have desert camo... Although campaign was lame. Honestly, some of you guys need to get over OFP. It was great becouse it was something complitely new. Becouse you were fighting the reds and you were up against some heavy shit, like hinds and T80s. Impersination of characters was great... Now its all over. I dont think you will ever get that same feeling again. For starters, becouse you were just a kid back then. As BIS said, they want to get close to wars that did happen in past, not so long ago. Like on balcans or georgian conflict. Although there warent any USMC interfering. There needs to be some stretch. This is the way to go now. There is no point of living on old trophies.

I won't! Pretending the ARMA1 campaign never happened or existed would be a good thing! whistle.gif

I guess Gastovski could come back too although he would be kind of old. Perhaps his old friend could make a return too and be haunting the countryside.

Was thinking the same myself. I liked him the best out of all the OFP characters. He could be callled out of retirement again whistle.gif

OFP was kinda fake either, becouse there wasnt any armed conflict between some Soviet union general and America.

There wasn't an armed conflict between the Soviet Union and America in OFP either. Guba wasn't representing the Soviet Union when he invaded the islands.

OFP was kinda fake either, becouse there wasnt any armed conflict between some Soviet union general and America.

There wasn't an armed conflict between the Soviet Union and America in OFP either.  Guba wasn't representing the Soviet Union when he invaded the islands.

I know, Guba on his own. There wasnt any Guba if you want it that way. Picking a straw in a bush.

aw man gastowski for the win smile_o.gif

another one bites the dust, am I good or am I good? biggrin_o.gif

but tasmanian devil and the resistance guy who i forgot what his name was would been cool biggrin_o.gif

Oh all this talk makes me wanna make some ofp res styled arma missions biggrin_o.gif

Any1 remember the epic sad ending in Ofp resistance?