Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

No-Island issue

I think it was once stated, that the tracks are just there ... nothing more.

But it shouldn't stop modders from making the engines. Though I can tell you, that Dschulles solution (AEF) for OFP was pretty intelligent, but didn't work that good with AI ... (And I can't think of anything else)

Without BIS doing some hardcode stuff for this kind of movement I don't expect it being better.

So theres room for an addon smile_o.gif

I guess on north to west side it could be endless open flat terrain and east to south endless open ocean. My concern is how good the AI can handle this terrain... will we get the next AI killing hills & mountains? Will they find a way or get stucked and shouting "Oh no cant get there!" ?

Why would a procedurally generated heightmap or ground texture be any more buggy than a user generated one? Do the AI in ArmA go nuts when they get to the edges of Schmallfelden?

If it's endless land beyond Chernarus' borders (which seem to me to be defined by mountains) I hope some of it is at least usable. It'd be nice to place a Russian air force base or two located outside Chernarus for use in missions. smile_o.gif

And if the original map will be editable in Visitor or something similar, I imagine you could always add some extra features outside I guess.

I would really like a enhacement to mission editor to select a area with a lasso tool ala photoshop and right click and choose increase or decrease height, maybe a box with some numbers..

Or just 2 extra buttons in the main mission editor interface, would been sweet to edot the terrain very little if you wanted to. But ofcourse its a crazy idea whistle.gif people would have to actually download the new terrain data somehow, and Im not sure if there is even support for a feature in the engine like this biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

My guess as to how BIS will solve to border problem is to simply have a large wall/fence on the nothern and western borders with Russia. It really can be that simple, and it would be a nice touch to see checkpoint guards from time to time patrolling the border areas.

Somehow I think that making the terrain collapse into a flat, endless expanse is far beneath BIS's talents.

RE: lack of rivers.

According to Mr. g-c's post here, and judging by the google earth image, the coast in the Arma 2 island is actually the Elbe river in the actual terrain. The east bank was simply changed into an ocean and the west changed to include beaches.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=77348

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4494/arma2areaeq3.jpg

So, the only real river in the general area was turned into the coastline, somewhat explaining the lack of rivers in the rest of the terrain.

A fence is somehow more creative than procedural land?  And what about aircraft?

its a tall fence.

About rivers:

Look at the map area Here. There is a river in the South Zagoria area we are getting. I also think I saw something on another map that had water there or a very low elevation. It might not end up being a river but there is a possibility.

RE: lack of rivers.

According to Mr. g-c's post here, and judging by the google earth image, the coast in the Arma 2 island is actually the Elbe river in the actual terrain. The east bank was simply changed into an ocean and the west changed to include beaches.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=77348

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/4494/arma2areaeq3.jpg

So, the only real river in the general area was turned into the coastline, somewhat explaining the lack of rivers in the rest of the terrain.

But there is going to be lakes!

A fence is somehow more creative than procedural land?  And what about aircraft?

It's not neccessarily more creative, but it is a simple solution. I'm sure the problem of aircraft could be solved with anti-aircraft fire from Russia in a scripted event that downs the aircraft in question, but then again, that would take some of the fun out of it wouldn't it? To be honest I don't know how it will be solved, but I am sure the people at BIS have some creative solutions.

comparisonkc5.gif

*IF you guys are worried about how big the map is when ArmA2 is out, don't worry, I've got one plenty big for ya  wink_o.gif

Here is the ArmA1 & ArmA2 maps overlayed onto the Normandy map I am working on for the WW2 mod:

norm2.jpg

Don't believe the size?  No problem, here are the mission icons off a Warfare North & South Sahrani map pasted onto the Normandy map to give you an idea...

norm1.jpg

But that's not the entire map.  Here's something to give you the full gravity of the situation...

norm6.jpg

pistols.gif   Who says size doesn't matter!

Yes the size of that map is immense. I flew with a jet in it, full speed, and even then going anywhere took much time.

Its an impressive demonstration of what Arma is capable of, though was a bit empty and desert like in the last release long time ago.

I see you have been hard at work and are adding more stuff in it though smile_o.gif

*IF you guys are worried about how big the map is when ArmA2 is out, don't worry, I've got one plenty big for ya  wink_o.gif

Holy crap wow_o.gif

How many years until that is finished? crazy_o.gif

I wonder what the scale is on it VS real life RIP?

It's half scale wow_o.gif

I've spent about 4 months total on it.

I wonder what the scale is on it VS real life RIP?

It's half scale  wow_o.gif

I've spent about 4 months total on it.

How much detail are you going to go into?

A lot  smile_o.gif

Right now as you can see the landscape is pretty bare, there isn't any foilage and there are no buildings.   wink_o.gif

example1.jpg

There is a chance that chernarus could be fully integrated into the game. But who really thinks BIS got the time to ad villages, forests etc to a tenfold bigger map than sahrani? I doubt it.

To the borders discussion: I think there could be a kind of a generator creating more and more mountains. But this would be only cool, if it is determined. So you can go on different ways and there will be the same structure of terrain...

I remember back in the days, the pc gamers of the tv show 'giga games' spent several days exploring the generated terrain of a game... and it wouldn't end biggrin_o.gif

So would could be done?

Just blocking the player via deadzone?

Would not be nextgeneration. Would even destroy the feeling of a wide and open world.

A huge fence only Chuck Norris can climb up

Mep! Failure biggrin_o.gif

Anti Air Defense Missiles by russia

Would be great idea. Maybe it would fit into the story. But what about the national border of south zagoria to the rest of chernarus? Don't think it would make any sense... and what about user generated missions?

Terraingenerator

First a Generator, creating many different mountains etc... something like untouched nature. But it would be cool if there would be an algorithm also creating streets, villages etc from a datapool....

So what do you think?

Quote[/b] ]There is a chance that chernarus could be fully integrated into the game. But who really thinks BIS got the time to ad villages, forests etc to a tenfold bigger map than sahrani? I doubt it.

Did Marek said that at GC 08?

I hope they will model the rest of chernarus (west part) with some expansion-packs. Even if its 1-2 years after Arma2 release....

I would pay each year for a almost full-price upgrade if there will other constant improvements. biggrin_o.gif

A dream..... inlove.gif

arma2hg4.th.jpg

Alright, but will there be bridges?

Well are there any rivers on the maps posted above, no.

So probably no bridges.

Building the rest of Chernarus could always be a fan-project? smile_o.gif

By the looks of it I reckon the rest of Cherarus would fit inside RIP's 150km map!

But if not a unifed map, even a smaller map depicting the bit around Novigrad, for example, would be cool - a big urban area we could use for probably quite a few scenarios. smile_o.gif

To be honest I don't believe BIS biggest terrain for ArmA2 will only have the size we see in that picture.

Opteryx i really have to disagree with that specific scale, not that i have contrary informations, but its just a feeling.

We all know Sahrani is a 2048x2048 terrain grid size. I really doubt ArmA2 biggest Original terrain, shown in ArmA2 videos, will be restricted only to a 4098x4098 terrain grid size.

If so it would mean if we set VD to max, we would be able to see all map at once.

From what was told, i believe the improved engine can handle more, much more.

Maybe its a surprise for the end wink_o.gif

Alright, but will there be bridges?

Well are there any rivers on the maps posted above, no.

So probably no bridges.

I have some rivers on my map, but it was a huge hassel since in Arma water doesn't flow down hill.  Pretty much made the rivers extensions of the sea - very narrow extensions. A lot of bridges you can imagine with rail road crossings.