Sign in to follow this  
Spokesperson

No-Island issue

What happens if you "exit" the map to the north? In ArmA/OFP there was a never ending sea. What about here?

+ There are railroads. I hope there are engines.

+ There are no seas? A small forest lake wouldn't be too bad.

+ Mountains, so we need streams. (Some games have managed this in a good way).

The community made ArmA1 maps that are not surrounded with sea have empty infinite land past the edges.

Here's what the terrain looks like

chernarus.jpg

High-res

I am very curious how the north and west map boarders will be solved, ArmA's solution wasn't very good. Maybe a seamless height map and a tiled generic satellite texture?

i think its like maddmatt said, lets all hope its not going to be an invisible wall^^

The map looks a little bit small too. Like a big park, walking distances.

The total map size in ArmA1 was 400sqkm, the total map size for chenarus is around 225sqkm. Considering that the map in arma1 was mostly water and the new map is mostly land, the actual playable landmass in ArmA2 is actualy larger. Thats why I believe the scale is much more realistic in ArmA2.

The map looks a little bit small too. Like a big park, walking distances.

The total map size in ArmA1 was 400sqkm,...

The area of the land mass was less than 200sqkm. ArmA2's map was advertised as 225sqkm in the pdf document on arma2.com if I remember correctly, that's quite a bit bigger than Sahrani which would make it the largest map we've had from BIS so far.

That is not the correct scale opteryx, the water extends out a great deal, far past rahmadi

Yeah man, you are right. I grabbed the first image I saw on Google and scaled it relative to Chernarus, didn't think about rahmadi.....

I've fixed it.

BI were putting a lot of thought into how to handle the edge of the map. Rest assured there will be no invisible wall or artificial barrier.

Can hope they use procedural land generation on the edges.

Battlefield repeats the map although I think strips away all the players, objects, textures etc.

Lockon has flat infinite land.

I don't expect too much.

Also, if it's plus or minus 50 sq km doesn't matter much imo. Sahrani was plenty big. The usability of the provided land is what matters. A lot of the land on sahrani was virtually unusable; massive unclimbable hills, big areas with nothing on it, no trees, no rocks, nothing. Things like that reduces the actual playable map quickly.

Here's what the terrain looks like

img]http://ohio3a.bay.livefilestore.com/y1pF35ubRV8yBI9ggvnQLmgrqSxj4n75KxB4JMXBS7tEDOixK_Lakmwc6RN6c3RpuFCmGjpsp-k3cE/chernarus.jpg[/img]

High-res

I am very curious how the north and west map boarders will be solved, ArmA's solution wasn't very good. Maybe a seamless height map and a tiled generic satellite texture?

Lol That Airport seems to look bigger than any village or city (fail)

On that map can anyone see a railroad? Also, there doesn't seem to be very many small towns and villages, everything on the left side of the map seems to centre on the airfield with one big defilation leading to it.

Yes it's a large area of land, but yet again there seems to be a large amount of it unusable. All the west and north mountain area will be unusable and the south east area looks quite mountainous also.

Alright, but will there be bridges?

It wouldnt be Arma without bridges smile_o.gif

On that map can anyone see a railroad?

Hm, I think it's a railroad on leading east from the lowermost city to the left?

On that map can anyone see a railroad?

Hm, I think it's a railroad on leading east from the lowermost city to the left?

I think your right, it looks like it ends at a railway station on the eastern coast and just before it gets to it there appears to be a sort of run-off where trains can sit to let other trains through.

Wild theory: Perhaps this isn't the whole map?

Yeah ... I mean look at that airport , it's the size of a city

Im glad it will be a peninsula this time, the west-north sections of the map can tile seamlessly just like the sea, thats not a concern.

Im more concerned about the map textures (loading) since the land mass is much bigger than Sara.

Im also curious to know if the wild animals will be editor placed units or part of the environment like the seagulls are in Arma, that would rock smile_o.gif .

One thing I noticed that looks geographically odd is the lack of rivers. I know this has always been a problem for the OFP engine, it would have been nice if it was sorted for Arma II. However, the map does look interesting and the fact we are not on an island for the first time will be good, although I too wonder about borders. Unless its done very well, I feel it might spoil the atmosphere and make it feel more like a set piece for the campaign rather than an open free play area like the Islands of Arma and OFP. If you get what I mean smile_o.gif