Sign in to follow this  
1in1class

GBUs

I dont know why the GBUs on the jets dont lock on to target? Is there an way of locking on to target with the GBUs Bombs with out an unit lasering them? Plz just would like to use them GBUs with an lock on to the target.

A GBU is a laserguided weapon. So no way to make them lock without a laser painting a target...

GBU - Guided Bomb Unit: all kind of guidance systems

LGB - Laser Guided Bomb: ground troops with laser guidance system will mark the target.

"to lase them from the plane" would be too difficult and dangerous for one pilot during combat with air and ground threats. Look at development of JDAM/JSOW - imho would be better if default AI will fire such bombs from standoff range (without scripting it). Lets see if new AI in ArmA2 has some kind of subskills. smile_o.gif

Thx guys so there is no other way around it but to have an unit laser the target?

Thx guys so there is no other way around it but to have an unit laser the target?

That is correct.

I imagine there should be a way for someone to write a script and have the SF recon unit attached to one of hard points under the aircraft. Just be easy on the G's so you don't make him pass out. nener.gif

It is the plane who lases target in almost all cases.

So not being able to do so in Arma and in OFP is a stupid limitation and has nothing realistic.

GBU - Guided Bomb Unit: all kind of guidance systems

LGB - Laser Guided Bomb: ground troops with laser guidance system will mark the target.

"to lase them from the plane" would be too difficult and dangerous for one pilot during combat with air and ground threats. Look at development of JDAM/JSOW - imho would be better if default AI will fire such bombs from standoff range (without scripting it). Lets see if new AI in ArmA2 has some kind of subskills.  smile_o.gif

Totally incorrect LGBs are normally guided by the aircraft carrying them. They can also be buddy lased by another aircraft/wingman which is most of the time. LGBs are normally released at high altitude especially in areas where there is AAA and low level SAMs. The only times in which they are designated from the ground is if you have SF people in the vicinty of the tgt whose mission is to lase the tgt. You simply cannot expect SF people to be everywhere at once take a look at the Gulf war LGB footage for example you can't expect SF people to have lased all those tgts. The simplicity involved in lasing them from the launch aircraft is quite easy the aircraft carrys a pod with an IR camera in it. The steerpoint is in the tgt vicinty and the IR camera and radar are both slaved to the tgt steerpoint. From there the pilot switches to the TGT pod(or sniper pod) view and hes already looking in the tgt vicinty all he has to do is ground stabilise/zoom and lock then pickle the weapon. BTW the LGB only follows the laser in the last 10 or so few seconds of flight and that can be setup in the ICP as can the codes for the LGB in cases where you are buddy lasing.

Nope I meant IRL and I assumed that was what you meant since JDAMs are not modeled in Arma and you mentioned those as well.

What, you want to hit Tab, get a lock on, fire, and laugh? How boring.

If you want to talk REALISM, how about having to do it like in real life... dealing with every minute mind-numbing detail, needing to coordinate with others to eliminate any SAM threats that would dearly love for you to fly in a straight line while bombing, etc etc etc.

IMHO, when all helicopters have to do is hit Tab and fire [without having to do any actual radar work and determining friend from foe from all the metal hulks everywhere] the gameplay is RUINED.

Having someone mark a laser target requires TEAMWORK and it should stay that way. Game gets boring fast when all we are are lone rambos running around.

What, you want to hit Tab, get a lock on, fire, and laugh?  How boring.

If you want to talk REALISM, how about having to do it like in real life... dealing with every minute mind-numbing detail, needing to coordinate with others to eliminate any SAM threats that would dearly love for you to fly in a straight line while bombing, etc etc etc.

We do this all the time with F4AF.

np, I am testing new fighters with JDAM/JSOW from Project RACS Team  wink_o.gif

Would be nice if one day simgames could be a jack-of-all-trades simulating land, air and naval combat.

Theres a couple of sims heading that way FO and DCS, already in DCS Black Shark you can actually get out and walk around. After the 1st DCS addon you'll have the 1st fully modeled Helicopter sim with a Fully modeled jet sim if they added an FPS weapons mod then it would be even closer to that type of sim. The ultimate would be if BIS teamed up with either ED or XSi.

Considering both aviation related addons were created by them, DCS and LOMAC I doubt we'll be seeing a first person integration.

Of course this has its vantages and disadvantages, one being the amount of time it takes to get these things integrated, precision modelling, precision (high res) textures, tons of research, tons of coding and testing, and thats just the basic.

I know I'm gonna love DCS when it comes out for the reasons of its complexity but I can't fault Arma on everything in this manner, sure it may not be the most realistic but because its not as complex its far more modable.  

But then when you think about it, Arma can be far more complex then most people think..you just have to unlock its secrets which in some cases will drive you mad (and in some cases unconventional) ..but it's possible. However I won't go too far into that as my post is already becomming Off topic.

the problem for ARMA is that turrent on fixed wing aircraft are not supported, making stuffs like LANTIRN impossible/ heavily scripted