Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

VBS2 coverage on BBC website

I have to say i'm glad of a peek into the way this stuff is being used. I get the impression that they aren't dismounting much, mainly using it as a convoy/IED trainer.

Hi Pathy

The UK MoD is about at the same stage as the USMC was about 5 or 6 years back with VBS1. They are feeling it out and training the trainers. That takes time. There is the whole VV&A process to go through. It is also being used for research and that research will influence future use both of VBS and other simulators.

As to dismounted use, this is just the convoy trainer function of VBS; it is used for dismounted training in a convoy environment too, if your vehicle gets roadblocked or disabled you dismount. You saw Major Tom Mouat get out the vehicle to tell the Press Man to move. The RMC will be using it for Urban training, The testing is due soon. It has become as the de facto default simulation environment for NATO so expect use to increase exponentially from now.

Kind Regards Walker

Well, i'm not going to lie. Yeah, we kept it low key, as we'd seen the precedent for other mod teams, who got accused of "selling out" when they did similar stuff. But with screenshots on our website, and screenshots of the VBS2 UK kit readily available, it's pretty obvious that they're the same models and textures. So theres little point denying it anymore.

Everything shown in screenshots on our website we intend to release (when finished), by the way, before someone says we've been leading the community on (Something we've already been accused of). Anyway, less about us, more about the BBC news article wink_o.gif

You've been dying to say haven't you tounge2.gif Damn good work! I don't see how it could be "selling-out"; I doubt I know any modders who would say no to such an offer, unless they're highly pacifistic, and it's doubtful a fan of ArmA is that.

Since it's also getting released for ArmA or Arma2, I think it's only a good thing. Hope you got paid royally for it wink_o.gif

I hope the financial gain (?) and interest will keep the mod plodding along well smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]
Well, i'm not going to lie. Yeah, we kept it low key, as we'd seen the precedent for other mod teams, who got accused of "selling out" when they did similar stuff. But with screenshots on our website, and screenshots of the VBS2 UK kit readily available, it's pretty obvious that they're the same models and textures. So theres little point denying it anymore.

Everything shown in screenshots on our website we intend to release (when finished), by the way, before someone says we've been leading the community on (Something we've already been accused of). Anyway, less about us, more about the BBC news article wink_o.gif

Quite an interesting article, you guys must be fair pleased to see your stuff put to that use.

Did you include Lilt cans on the Land Rover's?

tounge2.gif

I'm curious. Do you work for Lasershot?

No, he doesn't. I'm not sure where LaserShot is coming into this discussion to begin with, though...

Guest RKSL-Rock

No, he doesn't. I'm not sure where LaserShot is coming into this discussion to begin with, though...

I would suggest that the question arises, from the appearance of Walker's 'knowledge' of the UK MoD's intent with VBS2.  Therefore its logical to assume some involvement with the project.  Since he doesn’t work for BIS or BIA, isn’t (that we know of) a MoD employee either that leaves other involved organizations: Which leaves Lasershot or Calytrix.

Yeah, what Rock said. I was just interested where his knowledge was coming from, as I don't know anyone who can legitimately state the MoDs intentions without being part of the 'inside loop', so to speak. It's common knowledge that lasershot are running the training end of things, so I figured maybe thats how he could state with such certainty what is going on with VBS2 and the UK MoD, training usage wise.

I am still immensely curious to see it all in action, though biggrin_o.gif

More at the MoD website:

http://www.mod.uk/Defence....ons.htm

Quote[/b] ]

Quite an interesting article, you guys must be fair pleased to see your stuff put to that use.

Did you include Lilt cans on the Land Rover's?

tounge2.gif

nope, apparently I had to be professional about it, so the lads mags and lilt cans are for you lot only tounge2.gif

Wish they'd show more of the kit, but then again I guess we can do that too. Good article. Have printed it off for my 'geeky times' scrapbook.

Quote[/b] ]Everything shown in screenshots on our website we intend to release (when finished), by the way

Quoting myself from the other (VTK) thread. So yes, UKF for ArmA!

Oh wait, thought it was the past tense, as in, intended, not intend. Most awsome.

Wait wait, so no UKF for ArmA?

read propley old boy,i dont think we need to panic

what pathy said.

Quote: Well, i'm not going to lie. Yeah, we kept it low key, as we'd seen the precedent for other mod teams, who got accused of "selling out" when they did similar stuff. But with screenshots on our website, and screenshots of the VBS2 UK kit readily available, it's pretty obvious that they're the same models and textures. So theres little point denying it anymore.

Hi Pathy

I did contract marketing work for BIA as well as working for AGG LLC.

If you want to know more speak to one of the long term and senior members of the UK forces mod I presume you belong to, I took them to their first meeting with clients and introduced them to BIA.

Kind Regards walker

I presume you refer to Jonnos VBS1 project, before my time in UKF, that never took off. Only one member of that group returned to UKF, most left the community completely after it broke down. As far as I was aware, part of the reason the project failed is that it was an independant setup, and in no way officially linked to BIA. The UKF of today is far from the same one that you met with back in...2004?

What we've been doing is something completely unrelated, so I can't see how any of that is relevant to this current press release?

Edit: I'm not a BIA employee, i've not said I am...have I?

Hi pathy

At that time when Jonno was involved BIA did not employ many people directly (only 2 at first) most people subcontracted to BIA. That said I was not aware you were an employee of BIA.

quoting pathy from the above post as he replied there.

Quote[/b] ]Edit: I'm not a BIA employee, i've not said I am...have I?

Edit: and in that vein I'm not a Lasershot employee, I've not said I am...have I?  wink_o.gif

Now shall we stop dancing? icon_rolleyes.gif

I presume we are both interested in seeing VBS succeed.

Kind regards walker

Depends, do you wish to stop publically implying that you know more than you actually do?

Of course we're both interested in the same thing, and I personally don't want to litter this topic. However, you're giving me very little choice if you keep posting, implying your knowledge extends further than it does.

Guest RKSL-Rock
I presume we are both interested in seeing VBS succeed.

Kind regards walker

I think the original question was more along the lines of, "How do you know what the MoD are planning to do with VBS".

I dont think its a case of anyone wanting to discredit VBS?  More obvious curiosity.

Hi RockofSL

Asked and answered.

Kind regards walker

Yes, but that was back in 2004 (?) with a completely unrelated (and failed) project. As much as you'd like to imply it, what you have knowledge of is in no way, shape, or form, linked to the VBS2 UK module - unless there is something you're not disclosing.

Like Rock said, its not a case of trying to discredit VBS, I was, and genuinely am, interested in how its being used for training. However, I have asked you to qualify what you posted and i'm not satisfied with the answer. I've no intention of pursuing it any further however, this is a topic about VBS2 in use by the British Army, i'd be happy to get back onto topic.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Hi RockofSL

Asked and answered.

Kind regards walker

Yeah but that hardly current is it.  Considering how often MoD policy changes "if you've not been in the loop in the last 6 months you know nothing".  Direct quote from my last interview at MoD PE.