Sign in to follow this  
desertjedi

Playing ArmA co-op with only two people

I've had ArmA for about 5 weeks and am still learning... a lot. As much as I'd like to play with many other people, I know, in the end, I will be playing mostly with one good buddy - who has ArmA but hasn't gotten it loaded yet.

To learn ArmA, I'm doing MP co-op missions by myself with AI backup. I'm playing mostly the CoopPack Multi-Purpose Training where I get a fireteam of 3 AI. As such, much of the combat ends in vicious defeat. But it's a blast and it teaches me.

I'm also going through an extensive Beginner's Tutorial on editing at another ArmA site. I'm using the mission as a sandbox to try different things and again, am learning a lot.

But I'm wondering how best to play ArmA with only one other guy. I'm thinking of things like editing existing missions and adding more ammo boxes and mini-hospitals and adding AI medics to squads and even expanding the number of AI in a fireteam to much higher than 4.

Is this the best way (or only way) to help make ArmA more playable for just 2 co-op players? I just don't want my gaming buddy to get discouraged when he or we get our butts handed to us. He doesn't know how amazing ArmA can be - except for all the movies I make and send him.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the game "easier" (don't like that word) for just two guys? Heck, I'd appreciate some links to missions that are like that.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to make the game "easier" (don't like that word) for just two guys? Heck, I'd appreciate some links to missions that are like that.

Open your my documents/ArmA folder, open the username.ArmAprofile file and lower both of the enemyprecisionsettings. tounge2.gif

Me and some other guy also prefer to play 'sniper team' missions which is basically random DAC patrols + a simple objective combined with the gillie suit addon and then we need to take a stealthy approach. Loads of fun. smile_o.gif

that is exactly how i spent my first 500 hours on arma. making maps playing them then changing it up and making them better. as long as you have fun, that is how you are supposed to play arma

coop is a good way to explore arma. it is not the only way because sometimes pvp is fun and solo is fun.

there is a big learning curve to this game. (personally when people complain about the ai being too accurate with the ak, i think they are wrong.)  icon_rolleyes.gif  keep trying because every mission is beatable, unless it is obviously impossible.

don't stunt your fun by only playing as blufor, try independent and opfor. (try opfor you can get some accurate kills with the ak74 (not the 47) both the m4 and ak74 are about the same accuracy.)

the bigist think i can tell you is that sandbox is fun. (even tho it is time consuming) try not to discriminate against other forms of combat, make and play missions of every type.

Quote[/b] ]Evolution is quite good as 2 player coop.
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that.
Quote[/b] ]Slowly and keep your ass low ;-)
Always the best advice in any combat game.  biggrin_o.gif
Quote[/b] ]keep trying because every mission is beatable, unless it is obviously impossible.
Well, the missions I'm playing say "eliminate all opfor in this area". Well, I can see (directly) or from some weird deathcam script that kicks in sometimes that are WAY TOO MANY Opfor in that area for 1 guy and 3 AI to handle. tounge2.gif So, if I can survive the first engagement, I feel good about it. The missions I'm playing desperately need medkits and ammo boxes with M136 rockets. My AT-man blows his only 2 rockets on vehicles that are usually too far away to hit. After that, we all have to run like little schoolgirls when we encounter a BMP or tank.  
Quote[/b] ]don't stunt your fun by only playing as blufor, try independent and opfor.
Wow - never even thought about it - thanks!

As somebody else said, playing Warfare is not a bad idea. Evolution is possible, but I think with only 2 human players becomes a bit of a chore.

Warfare is a sure winner for beginners smile_o.gif

i SECOND THAT with force !  smile_o.gif

simple ! each player manage their own group , say 8 units, and choose same town as objective !

Work together and learn tactic ! this game IS a tactic warfar simulation.

choose saralite warfar , not much AI , 6 or 7 ai teamleader per side , and take part in side of your choice .

To learn ArmA, I'm doing MP co-op missions by myself with AI backup. I'm playing mostly the CoopPack Multi-Purpose Training where I get a fireteam of 3 AI. As such, much of the combat ends in vicious defeat. But it's a blast and it teaches me.

I'm also going through an extensive Beginner's Tutorial on editing at another ArmA site. I'm using the mission as a sandbox to try different things and again, am learning a lot.

But I'm wondering how best to play ArmA with only one other guy. I'm thinking of things like editing existing missions and adding more ammo boxes and mini-hospitals and adding AI medics to squads and even expanding the number of AI in a fireteam to much higher than 4.

Is this the best way (or only way) to help make ArmA more playable for just 2 co-op players? I just don't want my gaming buddy to get discouraged when he or we get our butts handed to us. He doesn't know how amazing ArmA can be - except for all the movies I make and send him.

what you describe here as wish is ... warfar mission.

multiple objective, respawn , large group management possible (18 units per group max i think ) , outpost with hardware , support tent, artillery feature called via radio etc ...

As you play and grab city with your side (ai or real player) , you earn money. wich can be used for by better unit. Main battle tank , attack chopper , entire specops airborn squad and so .

The only requirement is a dedicated server. you can run it on a dual core computer of course , along with game client.

For one, that's what i'm doing right now , and it works perfectly as far as we aren't many on server. maybe 6 7 player max on 600kbit/s upload bandwith ADSL

A soundmod and Armaeffects to drastically increase immersion doesn't hurt either.

Regarding Warfare...just a note but my co-op buddy and I are currently playing Vegas 2 while learning ArmA. TBH, I doubt Warfare would appeal to either of us. Does it make the game an RTS? Do you get to shoot a gun or are you the "general"?

Quote[/b] ]A soundmod and Armaeffects to drastically increase immersion doesn't hurt either.

My current mod list:

HiFi Sound Effects

ArmA Effects

Aimpoint Desert Weapons

Vegetation Fix

Hi-Res Sky (tho I never see a cloud - LOL)

Regarding Warfare...just a note but my co-op buddy and I are currently playing Vegas 2 while learning ArmA. TBH, I doubt Warfare would appeal to either of us. Does it make the game an RTS? Do you get to shoot a gun or are you the "general"?

In my oppinion its like evo but with bells and whistles on-and much much more  smile_o.gif

And i couldnt stand Evo!

Yes you get to shoot all you want  pistols.gif

I also usually coop with only one friend.

I am too impatient for "one life only" coop games with a zillion enemies.

Missions that are too hard I will edit the description file to be respawn to group:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">respawn = "GROUP";

And add more teammates, an ammo box, add desert weapons addon, maybe reduce the size of the enemy, or add a few vehicles to spice it up.

Have fun!

I played quite abit of 2 player co-op also.

We usually played with about 2-4 ai in our group (4-6 total). We would then split into two fire teams which both of us humans would lead. We then used tactics like bounding overwatch which i think worked pretty well.

Also I would suggest looking at Norrins ai enabled revive script, which makes things abit easier. Usually we only let one medic ai have the ability so it became abit more tactical.

Have alook at this mission if you like sniper team ones (2ppl). It really has alot of depth and is a great place to start because it has selectable difficulty and also extra "hints and suggestions" in the briefing if you choose to read them or are stuck.

Operation Shining Anvil

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1935

Tactics, Techniques & Procedures Guide by Dslyecxi

http://dslyecxi.com/armattp.html

Norrins revive script

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=1358