Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

JTD Smoke Effects MP Beta 5

Sorry again,

I've a bug, when i throw a Smoke grenade a lillte after i have this error message :

No Entry 'bin\Config.bin/CfgModels.default'

Someone could help me ?

Thx ExA

Hi Exaercase, thanks for trying the mod smile_o.gif

Very occasionally an error like this shows up, and the only thing I can say about it is that it's not necessarily related to the mod/addon that it says it is.

ArmA has a method of loading up addons in a recursive way, constantly cycling the loads as it refers required addons for other addons, until finally all addons are loaded and properly referenced. Sometimes (and I think that Extended Event Handlers can sometimes compound this) some error is generated and attributed to the wrong addon. I don't really know any more than the rather hazy description I just made, but most often it simply is just an error message and no ill effects are seen. EEH is so important that this error is by far more preferable than NOT having EEH.

To make clear: the fault is in ArmA, not EEH. If "fault" is even what it is.

*edit*

If you wish to test this further, you can make a new ArmA shortcut that ONLY loads up JTD_SmokeEffects, with NO other 3rd party addons in the ArmA\Addons folder (with the possible exception of EEH, I recommend this is where they live. It's among a VERY FEW addons that I do recommend live here.)

Great mod, looks awesome. But, I tried to use this (without the smoke block) on an evo server and the smoke is just default, if I host a mission I get the effects. Is there anyway clients can use this mod without the server running the mod? Most graphical effect mods seem to work that way normally :/

Sorry for the late reply seany smile_o.gif

The addon relies on the Killed event, which is a local event on the machine that generates it. If you're driving a vehicle, that vehicle is local to your machine, that's why when driving/piloting, you don't see any lag, but passengers do.

If the vehicle you're driving is destroyed, your machine generates the Killed event, and you see the effect of the smoke effects addon. With the release of version 5, this info is now transmitted to all other machines, so if another machine destroys a vehicle local to THAT machine, and that machine does NOT have JTD_SmokeEffects, it will not transmit the info.

As the server looks after almost every vehicle in the game, that's why you don't see the effects unless the server has the addon. There doesn't seem to be too much I can do about it unfortunately.

Is JTD Smoke Effects MP Beta 5.21 compatible with ACE?

Is JTD Smoke Effects MP Beta 5.21 compatible with ACE?

I have no idea, I have no reason to suspect that it's not. JTD_SmokeEffects main smoke is layered over the existing effects. But there are some system effects also, that might be affected.

If ACE introduces it's own effects, you might have to juggle load orders to suit what you like to see.

I've got a question about the 'hide' command: is the donut relative to the angle your character is in? E.g. on a slope the donut is not horizontal, but aligned with the slope?

And... is there a way to bind this 'hide' command with the action of going prone?

Nice addon!

I've got a question about the 'hide' command: is the donut relative to the angle your character is in? E.g. on a slope the donut is not horizontal, but aligned with the slope?

No it does not. I had thought about doing that, but it could mean that a sufficient slope, and a raised enemy (say on the other side of a valley) would see down "into" the doughnut.

As the doughnut is quite deep, it will still hide you from enemies below you even if the slope is quite steep. I think there is possibly a limit to this, but I've never found it.

And... is there a way to bind this 'hide' command with the action of going prone?

You're welcome to de-PBO it and alter it to your tastes, but I left the hide action as a definite separate action from going prone. My feeling is that there should be some amount of deliberate action to hiding, and I wouldn't like to bog down the game with every unit who goes prone spawning a hide and losing sight of everyone. (AI don't really respond well to using the hide, they just stand up when they cannot see anyone. Remember, an AI cannot see OUT of a hide as well as in :))

Ah, okay... Actually I meant that by selecting 'hide' your character would also go prone (if he wasn't already).

But I'll have a look and see if my superb scripting skills *ahum* can make it happen... ;)

Ah, okay... Actually I meant that by selecting 'hide' your character would also go prone (if he wasn't already).

But I'll have a look and see if my superb scripting skills *ahum* can make it happen... ;)

Ah, yeah, that would make more sense :D I hadn't thought of that. Maybe if I ever need to update it (say for ArmA2) I might add this in. Thanks for the idea :)

I really like this mod. In fact its one of my top 5.

I also like the ACE mod.

So, I was wondering, is it redundant to run both the ACE mod and JTD Smoke together? i.e. does ACE mod already include JTD smoke?

No I don't think so. JTD Smoke is layered over other effects. There are some default effects that are changed, for example the grenade and building collapse, but mostly it's extra effects layered over the default effect.

Just wanted to say thanks for a fantastic mod. Combined with VFAI seriously improves the game.

Have you tried Madmatts effects too?

I have all these in WarMod, other then JTD's stuff, but not like you couldn't add it yourself.

I might well do, the thing I really like about JTD's mod is the viewblock. It really adds to the game when you can use smoke to your advantage

I might well do, the thing I really like about JTD's mod is the viewblock. It really adds to the game when you can use smoke to your advantage

Yep the viewblock was probably the best thing I did for ArmA. :) As a matter of incidental interest, it works like this, where the wind alters the viewblock so you can use the particle drift to "see" where the viewblock is:

CapsuleVB.jpg