Sign in to follow this  
mandoble

Mando Hitch

mando_hitch.jpg

Allows players to hitch vehicles using choppers. Please do no mirror this resource yet.

You may allow hitching for individual choppers or chopper classes. The pilot has a hud with info about closest detected vehicle and its relative position, so you can proceed with accurate hitching operations without even using external views.

Changes in 1.5:

* Now you can toggle mando hitch hud ON/OFF from action menu.

* Now you can set hud scale and X and Y offsets, so you can place it anywhere in the screen.

* Hud now display cargo type also in text.

* Destroyed vehicles can be hitched too.

* You can define heavy choppers and heavy cargo. Heavy cargo classes can be hitched only by heavy transport classes.

* HUD colours adjusted to be more readable in any condition.

Changes in 1.4:

* You now can hitch and drop static weapons and static objects.

* You can hitch only civilian (empty) or your own side cargo.

Changes in 1.3:

* You now can hitch and drop ammo boxes.

* Hitching hud does not interfere any more with Mando Missile huds.

* You now can hitch and drop airplanes, if fast enough they'll keep flying.

* Cargo will not try to go underground even if you fly really low.

* Now you can transport cargo as long as the cargo is not destroyed, so you can transport severely damaged vehicles too.

* Minimum altitude to drop a cargo may be overridden with new mando_hitch_no_check_for_drop global variable.

* Hitching hud is gone if you are not hitching any cargo and there is no potential cargo nearby.

<span style='color:blue'>Get Mando Hitching v1.5</span> (Please do not mirror this resource yet).

Before you ask, yes, it is a script, not an addon tounge2.gif

Ok, wait... seriously. What can't you do superbly? smile_o.gif

Ok, wait... seriously. What can't you do superbly? smile_o.gif

No shit, my exact thoughts as soon as I realized what this thread was all about. This is superb, and as always, a piece of cake to implement and use. It amazes me how monumental all of your released content is when it comes to the increasing the gameplay, functionality and enjoyment of this game. Seriously, it's hard to walk away from this game when you keep adding a whole new aspect of play, especially when it's always in such a badly needed aspect. Although, and in full disclosure, I've only tried this out for about 30 minutes I love it thus far.

When I have a little more flight time under my belt I'll be back with a little more constructive post.

Thanks for addressing such a badly needed aspect of play... once again. thumbs-up.gif

Cool. I was thinking about doing the exact same HUD idea this morning.

I am currently using numbers for my HUD (see reference HUD image).

Suggestions:

- a graphical vertical side bar showing the distance to the cargo before attachment

- the cargo's altitude off the ground while lifted.

- detect ground collisions during transport

- if you're not using physics, probably best to let the cargo hang down vertically

Minor issue: After attaching, the HUD doesn't turn off.

Cool. I was thinking about doing the exact same HUD idea this morning.

I am currently using numbers for my HUD (see reference HUD image).

Suggestions:

- a graphical vertical side bar showing the distance to the cargo before attachment

- the cargo's altitude off the ground while lifted.

- detect ground collisions during transport

- if you're not using physics, probably best to let the cargo hang down vertically

Minor issue: After attaching, the HUD doesn't turn off.

- Not really needed as you have an intuitive idea of the range with the circle and the line. You may aproach visually (without external view) to the desired cargo and you only need range info when the cargo is closer than 40m. At this point you will see the circle and the line and all you need to do is to put the circle in the center.

- There is not a lifting process here but a simple hook process.

- If the cargo collides with the ground and gets damaged, it falls to the ground.

- General speaking you are right for low speeds. But there is also a centripetal and inertial effect that is more and more noticeable for higher speeds. This really cannot be simulated. Actually the cargo follows upvector and dir vector of the chopper for a single reason, to avoid direct collissions with the chopper when the chopper goes nosedown to gain speed or nose up to brake down.

This is superb! It's great being able to get lifts out for damaged vehicles to be repaired at base, having ammo trucks dropped in, etc. Gives human pilots more to do and practice.

Cheers!

Now, the million dollar question... does this script work in multiplayer??? If so, that would definitely be amazing for quickly moving vehicles into advanced positions for reinforcement, rather then having to drive them all the way across Sahrani. Of coarse it might be a bit unrealistic hauling around tanks. smile_o.gif

But things like ammo trucks and humvees with TOW's and other weapons are definitely important. To be able to lift and deliver such items would definintely give MP games much better realism and allow helicopter pilots to play a much more vital role during campaigns.

At any rate, I'm definitely going to see about using this script in single player missions. Now only if the AI could be scripted to use it! That would be super!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Of course it works in MP and there is a global array you may modify with the hitchable vehicle types (read the script header for more info).

Great Script.

Thanks. It really will add to forward deployment and like others have said it will give the chopper pilots something else to do that can and will really add to the game.

Question. Is there something that I need to tweak to get the V-22 Osprey using this script correctly? I name it heli1 and it has the HUD and even picks the vehicle up off the ground but then drops it again right away. But the option to drop it is still listed in the action menu even though the unit is back on the ground.

I was wondering if it is belly thickness of the Osprey contributing to the drop? (Ya I am just totally guessing as I know nothing about this mystical power of scripting)

Thanks for a great addition to Arma.

Styxx

Increase a bit both, distance from chopper to pick up cargo and distance from chopper to transport cargo. Might be the cargo is hitting the plane.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

// init.sqf

mando_hitch_min_height = 15;

[10]execVM"mando_hitch\mando_hitch.sqf";

// Rest of init.sqf

I think, Mandoble, that the problem is some bug that Gnat has already reported. The problem is that sometimes the altimeter of the Osprey reports a Z coordinates value of 0. That kicks in the script and makes the osprey drop the cargo.

Gnat said he was working on it.

I think, Mandoble, that the problem is some bug that Gnat has already reported. The problem is that sometimes the altimeter of the Osprey reports a Z coordinates value of 0. That kicks in the script and makes the osprey drop the cargo.

Gnat said he was working on it.

Now see, I new about the altimeter issue but I didn't even think that the two would be related. Duha. But that is why there are people like you guys and users like me.

That is great thanks mankyle and Mandoble.

I will sit tight.

Styxx

Could the script calculate/set velocity for the transported vehicle at the release? Would be awesome if combined with option to release at higher altitude, but risking the destroy of the cargo / releasing Camels airborne etc. smile_o.gif

Do you mean to be able to hitch a plane, climb, accelerate and be able to unhook it fast enough so that the hitched plane can effectively keep flying?

Understood, expect a new release today or tomorrow wink_o.gif

Hi Mandoble,

If I would like to make heli to hitching the ammo box, which ammo is correct array of vehicle classes name?

I was tried many time but it always show " PICTURE picuurestaticobjetc not found" on the screen. Thanks.

You may try with the classes of the ammo boxes:

["ReammoBox","AmmoBoxWest", "WeaponBoxWest", "SpecialBoxWest", "AmmoBoxEast", "WeaponBoxEast", "SpecialBoxEast"]

To be frank, I havent tested this with ammo boxes.

You may try with the classes of the ammo boxes:

["ReammoBox","AmmoBoxWest", "WeaponBoxWest", "SpecialBoxWest", "AmmoBoxEast", "WeaponBoxEast", "SpecialBoxEast"]

To be frank, I havent tested this with ammo boxes.

It's still didn't work. But thank you for help.

How to setting the damaged vehicle able to be hitching?

I think It will be important to get back from battle field for repair in base.

How to setting the damaged vehicle able to be hitching?

Waiting patiently 10 hours more biggrin_o.gif

New v1.3 available:

* You now can hitch and drop ammo boxes.

* Hitching hud does not interfere any more with Mando Missile huds.

* You now can hitch and drop airplanes, if fast enough they'll keep flying.

* Cargo will not try to go underground even if you fly really low.

* Now you can transport cargo as long as the cargo is not destroyed, so you can transport severely damaged vehicles too.

* Minimum altitude to drop a cargo may be overridden with new mando_hitch_no_check_for_drop global variable.

* Hitching hud is gone if you are not hitching any cargo and there is no potential cargo nearby.