Sign in to follow this  
Mr-Murray

BATTLE OF ORTEGO by Mr-Murray [SP]

Guest Ti0n3r

Congratz. One of the better SP missions I've played in a long time smile_o.gif

I've got QG and I've got the mission.

Very good they are indeed.

The crackling fire sounds continue long after the fire has died down concerning the first Shilka destroyed.

This mission has given me hope for my second (WIP, QG only) effort using the ArmA editor, thanks.

I finished the mission yesterday and I must say: After some frustrating minutes (the thing really isn't easy) I was rewarded with a superb ending phase of the mission! Thanks, Murray!

Quote[/b] ]Just the spawning enemy troops once the alarm is activated are pretty unrealistic...

Hmm... where? Normally not!

It could then be that I trampled just over the unique spawning group! rofl.gif

They suddenly appear at the hill at GD52 just at the moment the alarm is activated.

MrMurray,

Thank you for this outstanding mission. It is extremely well crafted. I know how much hard work this was. The voice acting and sound quality was very good also. I am curious how you found such good voice actors.

Also, I unPBOed it to look at the scripts. They are very clean and well organized.

You are a pro!

Thanks again.

Johnnyboy

Guest Ti0n3r

Some feedback; Let the player chose "proper gear" if he wants to. (same goes for squad members). I'd prefer to take out the shilkas using satchels instead of regular AT weaponry.

Good morning

The player has the chance to choose his weapons in the

helicopter or near the meeting point. There is a mobile HQ(M113).

The next possibility to get weapons is in the small village in

front of Ortego. There is a mobile HQ (BMP) with a russian weapon box.

The third chance to get weapons from a box is near the

helicopter and the last chance to get weapons on the hill

in Dolores. That should be enough or not?

Ahhh.... if you´re a good shooter there will be a lot of dead

bodies with a lot of equipment  biggrin_o.gif

welcome.gif BIG THANKS again for all your feedback!!! Thats really

important to make more like that for ArmA in future  thumbs-up.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

Edited:

Yo have made great screenshots during the mission? Post it here. But not bigger than a width of 500 pixel.

mission is awesome, never seen before a mission in this high quality since 2002.

hope to see more of your work!

Guest Ti0n3r
Quote[/b] ]That should be enough or not?

Not really imo. I think it would be great if I could equip all my guys with suppressed M4's and satchels (at least a few) as I prefer a stealth approach.

It could be done in the briefing, but doesn't makes sense as you meet with your team later. Before the briefing you don't know what the mission is about and the rest of the team doesn't know either until you meet with them.

It's a bit hard to give them suppressed M4s remotely. wink_o.gif

What could be done is adding another crate at your insertion point (where you get on the crossbike). If you want to change gear for the whole group you need to walk back first.

It could be done in the briefing, but doesn't makes sense as you meet with your team later. Before the briefing you don't know what the mission is about and the rest of the team doesn't know either until you meet with them.

It's a bit hard to give them suppressed M4s remotely.  wink_o.gif

What could be done is adding another crate at your insertion point (where you get on the crossbike). If you want to change gear for the whole group you need to walk back first.

I just place one where the team meet up occurs. I also placed a few in various out of the way locations. Not to make the mission any easier, just to get down and dirty with many of these beautiful user made weapons.

I have to concur with everyone else Mr-Murray, this mission is truly remarkable. I've spent much time looking at the construction of the mission and it's masterfully put together. With my propensity to edit every single mission I DL, I must say that I can't bring my self to change/add a thing. With the exception of a few user made ammo crates, and swapping the US and SLA units for Cam's 1st ID, ba2's new NAvy Seals DS/WL and CWM's new units on the OPFOR. But again, this is strictly for visual pleasure.

Thank you for this gem. I look forward to anything else you and others at MAPFACT bring to the table. That is, I hope you guys have plans to release future SP missions. Top Notch job!

Since the guys at armed-assault.de didn't authorised my guest post I will self quote myself here. I will not translate it (would proabably get me banned :P)

Quote[/b] ]Mr-Murray für die Mission möchte ich dir echt eine symbolisch auf die Fresse haun :X

Ich hoffe das taugt hier trotzdem noch als konstruktive Kritik.

Zu ersteinmal baut die Mission mit den Zwischensequenzen (aber spätestens seit Half Life 2 sind die Spieler dran gewöhnt das der Spielfluss nicht mehr durch ne Sequenz unterbrochen wird, machen viele ArmA Mission falsch wenn man mich fragt) und den netten Scripts und Sounds ne gute Atmosphäre auf, dass Missiondesgin ist aber Grütze.

Die Queen's Gambit Soundfiles helfen auch nicht und machen dieses Shilka abschießen zu einer lächerlichen Nebenaufgabe (vollkommen irrevlevant). Außerdem stellt sich die KI extra dämlich an (bug?), einer meiner Soldaten ist mal stehen geblieben, reagierte nicht mehr und ist kurz darauf gestorben, naja fraglich ob das an der Mission lag.

Außerdem ist die Standardausrüstung des Teams Schrott (Schallgedämpfte Waffen) und der Raketenfuzzi verschwendet seine Raketen gegen Soldaten (und er hat nur zwei, wenn man zum BMP kommt sind die Raketen schon knapp). Lange Fußmärsche stinken auch (alle Fahrzeuge sind ja verschlossen, Motorrad hat ein Loch im Tank, danke!wink_o.gif laufen ist angesagt ein Helikopter Taxi Script könnte da helfen.

Gegner gibt es auch zuviele, soll man jetzt den Krieg beenden in dem man die SLA auslöscht oder den Fuzzi gefangen nimmt? Ich werde immer wieder von gefühlten zweihundert Feinden eingekesselt. Der Präsident scheint sich in meiner Gruppe auch nie wohl zu fühlen und er gehorcht keinen Befehlen.

Leere Munikisten die nur zur deko dienen sind auch scheiße und ein paar mehr RPG Soldaten als Feinde hätten auch nicht geschadet (-->Munitionsnachschub).

Fazit: In der Mission wäre man besser mit einem Panzer bedient. Das Missiondesgin ist einfach nur unlogisch und unrealistisch (und UNFAIR).

Rejin's The Cause Kampagne hatte tolle Missionen. Ich will mich fühlen wie in einer Schlacht, gefangen in der Action und nicht von Hundertschaften gejagt mit meinem halben Dutzend ...

You are not supposed to fight the SLA but to sneak as long as possible and capture the president.

That the AT gunner is using his rockets against infantry is not Mr-Murrays fault, though it's irrelevant to complain because of this.

This mission is about SF operations, not infantry battles. If you play it like Rambo, you have no chance.

I tested this mission a dozen times if not more, and yes it's not a walk in the park mission but a doable one. That the president refuse to follow your orders I never experienced.

And yes, you walk, run and hide a lot in this mission. If that's not your type of mission there is no need to attack the author the way you did.

I didn't meant to insult or attack anyone here personally. I simply described my personal impressions of the mission and I tried it to do it it in a humerous and ironical manner.

I didn't mean to blame the all-stupid AI to the mission maker but I got the impression that the many used scripts could have caused bugs huh.gif

I admit that Stealth missions aren't my personal favorites of all maptypes.

However for me the mission is not playable in "stealth mode" because

a) it's not dark, fighting at night would give me and my team a great advantage

b) I have to blow up Shilkas, not much of a stealth missions if I have to blow up stuff and make a huge noise (but on the other hand I am armed with silenced guns, wtf???)

c) I have arty, again the noise factor and not very stealthy

Also the AI seems to spawn everywhere if the alarm is triggered which will happen and then I am surrounded in no time.

In my opinion the mission does not really work: The objectives are illogical, maybe to many scripts and making a mission a challenge by adding more enemies is so ninties style :P

W0lle you betatested the mission, you know the mission in and out, I played it a few days ago for the first time your and my playing expierence are entirely different wink_o.gif

I am just trying to convince someone with the skills like Murray to make a mission I want to see. Everybody complains about the Special Ops missions from the ArmA campagin and now the community starts to make missions in the same fashion. Give me Flashpoint style missions :P

Sorry, Lt.Kettch, but I personally can´t agree you. I played the mission several times (I got several versions as all the other BT does) and you might be right in some of your points...but not at all. But those points haven´t never been the reason for me not to play the mission. My personal experience in this case is that I need to find my own way (tactics) to accomplish the mission as it has to be to end the mission successfully. The player is also able to modify his gear once he entered the Chopper (including an AT weapon). I found enough enemy equipment in the progression of the mission which always keeps me fighting all enemy units/Vehicles.

The very first ArmA Campaign really had a heavy skill, which was caused by the over powered AI. But I couldn´t and still can´t find the same situation here.

By the way, I wouldnt let you post your "Guestpost" as well. They were right not to let you do this.....This is not an ironicle manner, this is a personal attack which was caused without any reason and even without any knowledge about the Games/missions contents...

@all english languaged guys...you haven´t missed anything

Good morning all

It´s always very important for me to get constructive feedback to optimize my work for this community.

Just relating to missions it´s also important to get the right feedback to consider your wishes/opinions and

to make a good job in future. Therefore I have some important questions.

- Why someone should play this mission / or a mission like that?

- What´s your favourite impression of it?

- Is a SP-Mission a welcome change for you?

- Do you like story driven mission like this?

- What´s your opinion about cutscenes in such missions?

- What´s your opinion about a MP-Version of this?

- Was this mission to heavy or easy for you?

- What you don´t like in this mission?

Thank you very much for answer this questions!!!

Kind regards,

Mr-Murray

Downloaded the mission last week and played it. I had serious trouble, always ending up in hopeless firefights. Mission is superbly made, although too difficult for my personal taste; because of the firefights (was not able to stay stealth, but I don't like dark nightmissions that requires NVGoggles). It became a save load thingy. I will try again though, hopefully it is designed with random options and replayability in mind. To answer your questions:

- Someone should play it if they like stealthy missions at daylight. It is not a battle, although it can quickly turn into it.

- My favourite impression is the amount of work put into it. Custom sounds, some of which I have heard the originals (youtube artillery round biggrin_o.gif).

- SP missions are always a nice time passer. Especially nowadays when everyone is serving Warfare with heavy restrictions on their server regarding addons, signings and so on to restrict "cheaters". Hopeless to find an "open enough" server these days to play on.

- Story driven shows dedication to the mission editing, and it is nice. It is not a must for me however.

- Cutscenes in this mission are well done and nicely thought out. Forgot to turn on an effect setting, so I don't know how depth of field was used actively. I like cutscenes, but they are not a must for me.

- MP could be interresting, but only if there was a difficulty setting and/or scalable to the amount of players. It should have respawn (with weapons) though, and revive with limited lives. Not sure if I want cutscenes here though.

- Too hard for me. Maybe it's my playing style. Maybe it's ECS that was "helping" the AI. I also feel many of the default campaign missions were too hard.

Dislikes:

- Blowing up Shilkas in a stealthy mission, without using stealth techniques. Maybe this lures the enemy out to the scene of the crime, but I ended up fighting them. Not sure what the intent was here.

Hey CarlGustaffa

At first I have to say thank you for your very detailed and good feedback.

You should play it without addons! Maybe a smoke or an other effect addon should be ok. You must be a very crazy

guy if you´re using a KI-Addon in this mission. That’s insane! But ok,… whatever you like wink_o.gif

Your dislikes are comprehensible. The task to catch him comes very rash. Maybe it´s possible that I don´t

communicated it very well in this story. The other friendly troops are very committed in other fights all around the

island. Therefore you´re alone in this fight. I preferred to add some highlights like the environmental sounds if a especially

tank has been destroyed or the Airstrike on the TV-Building.

Concerning the enemy artillery. I added this target as optional task because I wanted to give the player the chance

to destroy it.

I think that it´s fair that every side has the same artillery option. The player can call it always but the enemy only with

a 25% chance. Inside the city is no chance to use the arty for every side. If the president has been captured or he´s

fled the player becomes the possibility to use his arty in the city. If you´re outside the city you should spread your group

thought out well. So there will be a better chance to survive against the enemies.

Inside the city you should use the column option “Compact†or spread your group around the city. On the hills for example.

Or let them cover some streets or parts of the city.

You see, here is a lot to consider. Not just move to A and destroy B, then fly to C and kill D.

The next mission will be easier to play wink_o.gif

Best regards,

Mr-Murray

I am at the very beginning of the mission but i have a questions:

- because i want to integrate the airstrike-possibilty in my tactics i want to know when will i get hands on the airstrike-possiblity? Is this random or at a certain stage of the mission? Maybe after i destroyed the shilkas?

*Why someone should play this mission / or a mission like that?

Because its a great mission with many little things to hear, to see...

You would miss something if you don't play Battle of Ortego.

* What´s your favourite impression of it?

More!!

* Is a SP-Mission a welcome change for you?

It is and show the creativity and storytelling of the author, beside the possibilities ingame.

*Do you like story driven mission like this?

Yes, campaigns too. wink_o.gif

*What´s your opinion about cutscenes in such missions?

Go on, I don't like cutscenes when they have nothing to add but not here.

*What´s your opinion about a MP-Version of this?

If its possible to play coop - cqb would be easier in Ortego. Damn AI and pathfinding  biggrin_o.gif

*Was this mission to heavy or easy for you?

normal - had only problem with AI but thats ArmA. Should I play it with truemods again?

*What you don´t like in this mission?

Would be nice if player could switch to AI and relieve them from beeing stuck. Artillery seem to be very accurate and enemy group don't need kneeling radio operators. Would be good to see some infos maybe from captives. AI pilots need some ground attack training.

Well done waiting for next update/mission/campaign!!  thumbs-up.gif

2 wolfsblut_ "at a certain stage of the mission".

I am at the very beginning of the mission but i have a questions:

- because i want to integrate the airstrike-possibilty in my tactics i want to know when will i get hands on the airstrike-possiblity? Is this random or at a certain stage of the mission? Maybe after i destroyed the shilkas?

The airstrike is only available when you are at the last objective. During the mission you can only call in artillery (outside Ortego).

candt ply the mission

error messeg= candt ply the content its depending on dounloadeble content sara bpo

candt ply the mission

error messeg= candt ply the content its depending on dounloadeble content sara bpo

Yes, it's written that you need Queen's Qambit extension to ply the mission.

Hi

Is that problem still present? Please read the readme file.

Best regards,

Mr-Murray