Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

RAF Chinook

Actually the best thing about this addon, is that it looks the Dogs B. but it was made for OFP! And still looks the Dogs B. thumbs-up.gifthumbs-up.gif

Ive had some more flight time also, and If you fly easy with the controls and consider people are trying to keep their lunches in their stomach in the back, it flies very good.

I havent got any problems with dives, simply because I dont have

to do a dive with this aircraft. I mean no rockets for instance to

put on a target.

The engine sounds could indeed be louder, and perhaps a whining turbine engine sound?

One or two seating positions on the ramp would be fully sick!

Cant wait for upgraded version!

wow, it's amazing what can be squized out from ofp model(although it's looking perfect itself). i think afro was thinking about arma when he was modeling this chinook for ofp wink_o.gif

although i miss proper working cockpits in whole arma :/

other than that, i say well done thumbs-up.gif

P.S. some nam mod could do a "guns a go-go" version whistle.gif

Any kind of time status for the next update to fix the texture issues and any other additions to the Chinook.

Are you going to do a reskin of the ArmA pilots to make RAF

aircrew? It's annoying to look over and see a septic co-pilot

all the time.

Excellent model guys!

Just need to boost the sound to make your ear-drums bleed! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Any kind of time status for the next update to fix the texture issues and any other additions to the Chinook.

Honestly now, you know it's not worth it to answer that. If I had the talent these Modders have the last thing in my mind would be when, only how. biggrin_o.gifwink_o.gif

I'm not sure if you missed this or not at the end of his last update, but just in case:

I’m not sure how long all this is going to take me, not too long I hope.

Just figured that may be of some interest to you. smile_o.gif

Excellent model guys!

Just need to boost the sound to make your ear-drums bleed! biggrin_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

I mirror that smile_o.gif

I live under a flight path used by Chinooks going to RAF Odiham and the boom of the blades in the middle of the night crazy_o.gif the whole house shakes, would love to hear that on a night map!

Great work.

Duca

m8, i don't know why, but i got the Walk’able Ramp working... biggrin_o.gif

Dunno why, but everytime i try it, it works, and I gave you the same model corrected...

any chance of putting some mini-guns[m134] for the front loadies and a ramp mounted M240?.

How much longer before a fixed version is released without tex error. ?

any chance of putting some mini-guns[m134] for the front loadies and a ramp mounted M240?.

why an M240? It should be an M60.

The M240 is the US version of the GPMG.  M60 machinegun hasn't been used for a long time but I could be wrong on that.  The GPMG would fit perfectly with the RAF Chinook.  smile_o.gif

Who knows. When it's done I presume.

Wow, That's a surprise.  I would've thought the GPMG version would've been used.

The M60s were bought before the Mag58/GPMG/M240 had entered widespread US ground-forces service.  The RAF needed a door/ramp MG pronto, the US Chinook fleet had standard fittings for M60s so it made sense - at the time - to buy a small batch of Ds along with the a/c fit.

During GW1 the purchase of the M134 was conducted on an even more, er, interesting basis.  A batch of very-tired weapons was acquired from an independent "dealer" and sent out to us in Saudi with a bemused-looking engineer from GE.  He, our armourers and a couple of our crewmen who'd (usefully) been armourers before going aircrew worked wonders to get the kit serviceable before the second week of the war had finished.

Interesting! Yeah I know also that a few M60 MG's still soldier on in some US military helicopters as well. Apparently the policy is to keep using them for now I guess until they get funding to have them replaced.

As a former M60 gunner however, personally I think that they are fantastic weapons and I'm not quite sure why there were replaced with the heavier M240. I've seen alot of crap written about the M60, but I found it to be an extremely reliable and superbly accurate weapon. I saw it as my automatic sniper rifle. lol! Its a hell of a feeling to knock down an 800 meter target just using iron sights.

smile_o.gif

I'm glad SEALs and a few other special units are still using the newer versions. At any rate, it would be nice to see it on these RAF Chinooks at least on the door ramp.

smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Today I was experimenting with Chinook's cargo and Skoda... I managed to "takeoff" from a hill and maintain altitude. Without any harm to helicopter and cargo. The problems I encountered are "how to drive my car into the helicopter" (ramp geometry could be lenghted so player won't need to place pallettes to walk in cargo bay) and "how to balance the helicopter with cargo and takeoff" smile_o.gif

edit: probably same behaviour everywhere; however this one has the best geometry LOD.

The M60s were bought before the Mag58/GPMG/M240 had entered widespread US ground-forces service.  The RAF needed a door/ramp MG pronto, the US Chinook fleet had standard fittings for M60s so it made sense - at the time - to buy a small batch of Ds along with the a/c fit.

Out of interest, why would they use the M60 over the GPMG, surely from a logistical viewpoint (spares and such) it would have made sense to fit a GPMG

Quote[/b] ]Out of interest, why would they use the M60 over the GPMG, surely from a logistical viewpoint (spares and such) it would have made sense to fit a GPMG

Trials. If you mod an aircraft with something new - even if it's been used on other aircraft already in the inventory - there needs to be a trial programme to ensure there aren't any unforeseen gotchas (eg stops not adequate to prevent rounds hitting parts of the a/c). Trials cost time and money.

However, if there is already in existence a proven piece of kit (in this case, the US M60 mount) that doesn't require trialling then it's a shoe-in. Don't start me on budgets; the trials budget was probably all spent for that year, whereas a small purchase of surplus US kit plus spares and training for the armourers may well have come out of a different budget. Creative accountancy/ Financial Engineering, it's sometimes called.

Anecdotally, we did notice that the M60 made an easy MG to adapt to air-ground firing. The GPMG often needed a great deal of "tuning" before it would reliably maintain full automatic in flight. Probably something to do with variations in airflow around the gas regulator; we would start it all the way up on "12" then fiddle between stoppages 'til multi-round bursts could be achieved. Didn't seem to have the same prob with the M60 - wonder if the Italians ever fitted the MG3 to their CH47s? No gas regulator, so I would imagine fewer stoppages.

Guest RKSL-Rock
Anecdotally, we did notice that the M60 made an easy MG to adapt to air-ground firing.  The GPMG often needed a great deal of "tuning" before it would reliably maintain full automatic in flight.  Probably something to do with variations in airflow around the gas regulator; we would start it all the way up on "12" then fiddle between stoppages 'til multi-round bursts could be achieved.  Didn't seem to have the same prob with the M60 - wonder if the Italians ever fitted the MG3 to their CH47s?  No gas regulator, so I would imagine fewer stoppages.

I thought that was fixed very early on with the life extension or "refresh kits" for the GPMGs in the early 90's.  The AAC don't seem to have any reported issues with the GPMG on the Lynx, nor the RAF Pumas with the GPMG.

2 weeks l8r, are we getting any closer to a fixed version ?

If it wasnt binarised ppl could fixed it theirself,seems shame to have great addon with a small bug.