Sign in to follow this  
bravo 6

Al Amiriya

Great stuff mate. You might consider making the cut wheat a bit more dense and less regular, depending on performance, but it's definitely coming along. smile_o.gif

Looking awesome bravo!

As people can't seem to make their minds about the wheat colour, is it possible to have some fields slightly brighter/darker? And judging by the sat image, it may be more realistic...(hard to see from the map tho)

I really like the large rectangular fields and wish it were more the same in Avgani. Also will you be having the wheat fields lie closely to some roads? It would be great for convoy ambushes xmas_o.gif

Looking awesome bravo!

As people can't seem to make their minds about the wheat colour, is it possible to have some fields slightly brighter/darker? And judging by the sat image, it may be more realistic...(hard to see from the map tho)

I really like the large rectangular fields and wish it were more the same in Avgani. Also will you be having the wheat fields lie closely to some roads? It would be great for convoy ambushes xmas_o.gif

Well about the different color fields it is possible of course, the only negative aspect of it is the size of the textures that will be added to the Map it self. But its a good idea.

And yes, there are roads near some of the fields  wink_o.gif

edit: @CameronMcDonald: yes i have been working on that too smile_o.gif

I wouldn't spend too much time agonising over the precise colour of the wheat if I were you. Just go with whatever looks best to you smile_o.gif

The colour people actually see will differ slightly depending on their hardware, especially the monitor, and also according to exactly how it is calibrated.

yup, thats true.

Also if there is sun, clouds, sunset, sunrise the fields will have different colors in these different weathers. Though if exists more variety, better.

@TankCommander: what you had in mind is something like this? (note: its still wip)

Amiriya_bc57_s.jpg

1600x1200

Yeah that looks pretty good thumbs-up.gif  What I meant before was to maybe have 2-3 types of wheat. Like someone said a few pages back, that wheat colour can depend on a few factors like soil, maintenance etc so if there were some adjacent crops of different grade then they would be slightly darker or lighter than the other. Still not sure if that would happen in the one area but I like yours already with tall wheat and cut wheat smile_o.gif

But having to pay too much attention to wheat might also be harmful tounge2.gif

yeah, i think 2-3 different color for wheat fields will not warm anyone..

its "only" 2.66 mb for each .paa texture so ill have a try and will use for them for the different soils, ie, ground color smile_o.gif

edit: typo

i was bored..  sad_o.gif

Amiriya_bc58_s.jpgAmiriya_bc59_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                            1600x1200  

Amiriya_bc60_s.jpg

1600x1200

Wow the colour variety of green and yellow in the cut wheat looks great! Not uniform at all. Very natural.

You should be bored more often smile_o.gif I want to see more of this map

Just seen this lot for the first time.

Very very impressed

Is this the same place as in the 'Sniper One' book?

im not sure but wasn't "Sniper One" around Al Amarah?

Al Amarah is very far from Al Fallujah and Al Amiriya, Al Amarah is almost near the East border of Iraq and Al Amiriya is almost in the midle.

edit: typo

The problem with the names, they so similiar.

I think your right (without me going and finding the book)

The problem with the names, they so similiar.

I know what you mean..

In Baghdad theres a place called Al Ameeria District, and the name Al Amiriya pops up very frequently to that specific zone. Some people even confuse these too places and use the same name.

But the Al Amiriya ("Bomb Shelter") in working on is in the right place smile_o.gif

But yeah its a pain in the ass about the names.

edit: these are just for future inspirations.

... another patrol day in Iraq..

Amiriya_bc61_s.jpg

1600x1200

Amiriya_bc62_s.jpg

1600x1200

an very very small update, see if you can find it in the following pic smile_o.gif

Amiriya_bc65_s.jpg

1600x1200

Where did you get those 2003 USMC troops from?

The previous question was answered via mp on the same day.

The units can be found in the forum, 2003 USMC already made. (search)

I'm still working and improving the new palm trees for Al Amiriya.

Ps- Opteryx, thanks for your models but it was easier to start from zero. These won't be as good as yours.. im sure of this tounge2.gif

Amiriya_bc82_s.jpgAmiriya_bc83_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                            1600x1200

Amiriya_bc84_s.jpgAmiriya_bc85_s.jpg

1600x1200                                                            1600x1200

Amiriya_bc86_s.jpgAmiriya_bc87_s.jpg

Amiriya_bc88_s.jpgAmiriya_bc89_s.jpg

I'm still working and improving the new palm trees for Al Amiriya.

Ps- Opteryx, thanks for your models but it was easier to start from zero. These won't be as good as yours.. im sure of this tounge2.gif

Well I, for one, think that your palms look pretty damn neat, one thing though, maybe the leafs ought to have smooth edges?

-edit-

Or do they??

indeed, a very nice atmosphere is coming along on this island...

Good work! smile_o.gif