Sign in to follow this  
wld427

SA-26 SAM

I challenge the community to come up with the NATO tag for it. IE skyShark, gauntlet, gaskin, etc

SA-26 Gremlin maybe tounge2.gif

Great work mate!!! I love it, let's find a name not already used by other Sam systems, boys, come on smile_o.gif

i will for the next one. I am not an expert at modeling and am still on a steep learning curve. I thank the community here for giving me tips. Scince i started this project a have gotten alot of tips on making my stuff better. PLEASE if anybody else notices something that i could do to make this better chime in on a PM.

i modeled the turret after the one on the SA8 Gecko. When i finish this project i may try the chassis.

Then i might beg GodHammer to put some of his kick ass textures on it. pistols.gif

Who knows.... come on guys i still need a NATO tag for the launcher!

Becuase fiction is good. You make what you want. smile_o.gif

SA-33 Sabretooth tounge2.gif

Sweet!

Ever thought about a cooperation with GodHammer?

Would be nice to have this AA-Systems in one working file. smile_o.gif

MfG Medicus

actually we are discussing some things probably going to merge our topics and get some cool stuff put out.

Sabretooth...... thats a good start!

I like "Sabretooth" a lot!

Yes we should open a single topic for all SAMs around.

Do you think it is sufficient just to open it or should I ask permission to moderators, in order to close older 3ds? huh.gif

3 votes for "sabretooth"

anybody else have something?

I like "Sabretooth" a lot!

Yes we should open a single topic for all SAMs around.

Do you think it is sufficient just to open it or should I ask permission to moderators, in order to close older 3ds? huh.gif

I'm sure a moderator would be willing if you both PM one and ask them kindly to merge your topics.

I like Sabretooth as well..kinda fits for this deadly looking piece of armor.

I got two suggestions

SA-33, Gaol

SA-33, Gallant

Please keep you the work.

i think we are going with the "sabretooth" this will work well as part of the "triad" of air defence theory. I am configuring it for a medium altitude engagment envelope. With GodHammers Gammon in the works for high level. Low altitude we already have the ZSU-23, AAtruck, and the Shilka. Maybee i will throw in a Gaskin once this one is complete. I have already started the preliminary modeling based on the SA-26 that i would love to release if i could get the friggin damages to work. Aside from that i am waiting for GodHammer to do his tut on texturing cause that guy blows my stuff out of the water.

Does anybody have a script to animate the radar? If you would like to write one and help out that would be great. the selection is simply called radar and while the gunner is in the vehicle it needs to rotate.

Does anybody have any type of information as far as Fired to hit to kill ratios for russian SAMs?

Also a friend of mine donated an Hummer Avenger 3DS model that he gave up on. So Western fans be patient i want to do that one and then maybee a Canadian ADATS. Thats all down the road.....

I think Sabretooth is a silly name for a SAM. According to NATO they are supposed to start with G, so make it that.

Just pick one

Sa-33 Giraffe

Sa-33 Gorilla

Sa-33 Gandalf

Sa-33 Gandhi

Sa-33 Geico

Sa-33 Girly

Sa-33 Goliath

Sa-33 Gollum

Sa-33 Goblin

Sa-33 Grizzly

Sa-33 GotSam?

Sa-33 GotChaff?

Sa-33 GotFlares?

goodnight.gif

I think Sabretooth is a silly name for a SAM. According to NATO they are supposed to start with G, so make it that.

Now that you mention it there does seem to be a bit of a trend there..

Hip, Hind, Havoc, Hokum.

Gadfly, Gaskin, Gainful, Goblet, etc.

Geico.. rofl.gif

For G's Grizzly seems to fit rather well...

By the way, how are those sharp faces/edges comming?

NATO doesn't use peoples names for vehicles, only us crazy north americans do.

I read some topics around the Net speaking of Russian's efforts in the research of stealth missiles, and that took my attention pretty bad... what can't be seen can't be avoided smile_o.gif

So I say....  Sa-33 Ghost !  thumbs-up.gif

(editing)

Said and done, you now have a real missile to put into your launcher, dude.

SA-33gHOST.jpg

1.71 meters lenght ingame, already scaled to be similar to Igla, infrared searching head ( you can spot the reflection of target in the model wink_o.gif ) this should meet you needs smile_o.gif

A little gift because I like your SAM wink_o.gif

Hey fellas i was trolling the dictionary and found a few suggestions.......

Grizzly is already used.

I like goblin.......

Quote[/b] ]Gagauz

Ga·gauz [ gə gáwz ] (plural Ga·gauz or Ga·gau·zi [ gə gáw z ])

noun  

Definition:

1. Turkic language: a Turkic language spoken in an area north of the Black Sea, especially in southern Moldova, Ukraine, and Romania. Native speakers: 150,000.

Quote[/b] ]Galahad

Gal·a·had [ gállə hàd ] (plural Gal·a·hads)

noun  

Definition:

1. knight of Round Table: in Arthurian legend, the noblest knight of the Round Table, who succeeded in his quest for the Holy Grail

2. somebody who acts nobly: a man considered to be chivalrous, noble, or pure in actions or attitudes

Quote[/b] ]

gale

gale [ gayl ] (plural gales)

noun  

Definition:

1. wind of force 8 or 9: an extremely strong wind that measures 8 or 9 on the Beaufort scale and has a speed of between 63 km (39 mi) and 87 km (54 mi) per hour

2. strong wind: a very strong wind

Quote[/b] ]gallows

gal·lows [ gállōz ] (plural gal·lows)

noun  

Definition:

1. frame for hanging criminals: a wooden frame, usually made of two upright posts and a crossbeam with a noose attached, used to execute people by hanging

2. structure like gallows: a structure that resembles a gallows, e.g. one used to suspend slaughtered animals

3. execution by hanging: death by hanging as capital punishment for a criminal offense

[13th century. < Old Norse gálgi< Germanic, "pole

or the last one may neet a bit of clearance form BIS

Quote[/b] ]gambit

gam·bit [ gámbit ] (plural gam·bits)

noun  

Definition:

1. stratagem: a maneuver or stratagem used to secure an advantage

I read some topics around the Net speaking of Russian's efforts in the research of stealth missiles, and that took my attention pretty bad... what can't be seen can't be avoided smile_o.gif

So I say.... Sa-33 Ghost ! thumbs-up.gif

(editing)

Said and done, you now have a real missile to put into your launcher, dude.

"]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums....mg]

1.71 meters lenght ingame, already scaled to be similar to Igla, infrared searching head ( you can spot the reflection of target in the model wink_o.gif ) this should meet you needs smile_o.gif

A little gift because I like your SAM wink_o.gif

Out of curiosity, how many sides does that cylinder have?

32 faces if I do not remember bad. The whole model is under 300 polygons and uses a 512x512 texture. Unwrapped completely to avoid simmetric faces on texture, that I really hate.

To make a good complete cylindric map I just let its right and left edges simmetric, then I paint whatever I want in the middle. When it is closed on the model I just put that simmetric joint on the lower part of the model, so it's really not noticeable. I'm writing right now a tutorial, about this too wink_o.gif

32 sides or thirty two faces including the warhead and exhaust faces?

And I'm looking forward to that tut, hope you will include some pointers on how you make those great textures as well smile_o.gif

32 faces per cylinder. Whole model is 252 faces, 1 section. Breaking the whole missile lenght into 4 cylinders gave me the possibility to use a smaller texture and maintain the same level of detail I'm using in my Sa-5.

The Ghost uses a small 512x512 texture, while Gammon uses a wide 1024x2048 one, but they have the same level of detail wink_o.gif.

Tutorial is online under Arma Editing - Modeling section, I hope it's clearand readeable, making a tutorial on textures is not an easy task huh.gif

Anyway it's just the first, I'll cover tecniques and texture making tricks in other tutorials smile_o.gif

Cheers, GH.

Here is how she looks rightnow.

Thanks to xnodunitx for giving me ahand with the sharp/soft edges. thumbs-up.gif

I am still working the texture. Cant decide if i want the missile boxes green and weathered with the chassis or white and weathered. I have found many pictures of them both ways.

---opinions?

Image1-4.jpg