Sign in to follow this  
mechastalin

BTR-70

I don't think I am skilled enough in animations for those.

By the way, any suggestions on variants you guys would like to see? I have Afghanistan Field mod with AGS, 2S14, and 9P163-2 Kavartet turret variant.

@ Col. Faulkner & plaintiff1

The reason for having infantry ride shotgun on top is not to add more firepower to the vehicle or people being able to shoot from it. The animation doesn't even allow you to shoot in that sitting position.

The reason we'd like to see troops riding on top is because they actually did just that. In the South African / Cuban / Angolan conflict the Angolan infantry would sit all over these Russian / Cuban vehicles when they were moving through the bush, because it sure beats running beside and behind them when providing cover for them in the african heat.

That's why so many soldiers from Angola died because the South Africans would take out a large number of infantry along with the armor when they found and engaged them. The South Africans never rode on vehicles like that and that contributed to much less casualties on their side when they were engaged by the communist forces.

The enemy didn't only ride on BTR's like that, but everything they could sit on including T-55's, T-34's, ect. ect.

And it's obvious you've never flown in a chopper like that before in your life: When you fly sitting in the door like that the cyntrifical force of the chopper keeps you in place. The pilot turns and the G-forces from the turn pushes you into your seat, and even though it's a harrowing experience, there's no way you just fall out.

The only way that's possible is if the pilot pulls negative G's because then nothing keeps you from falling, and then obviously that pilot is a complete idiot. But for people like us who try to make these addons as historically accurate as possible, the BTR looks Kickass!

Ps. I can post tons of pictures showing both these addons are 100% accurate including the seating positions.

And the reason troops sat in the Puma doors like that is because a chopper is very vulnerable when landing and doing troop insertion. These soldiers would de-plane once on the ground and give all round (360deg) fire support for the chopper till it takes off again and is out of harm's way. Americans used the same tactics in Vietnam when flying Hueys.

The russian army rode on their personnel carriers during Afghanistan and Chechnya because it provides protection against mines and IEDs. If a mine goes off under a BTR you sure as hell don't want to be stuck inside it.

Plus in urban environments troops sitting ontop can provide effective protection against concealed anti-tank positions in buildings and such, since turret gunners have limited visibility.

The russian army rode on their personnel carriers during Afghanistan and Chechnya because it provides protection against mines and IEDs. If a mine goes off under a BTR you sure as hell don't want to be stuck inside it.

Plus in urban environments troops sitting ontop can provide effective protection against concealed anti-tank positions in buildings and such, since turret gunners have limited visibility.

Correct! Not to mention that it is much easier and quicker to dismount from the top than through the tinny side doors.

Peace,

DreDay

Jesus... doesnt anybody read anymore?

He didnt say it WAS WRONG, he said that the animations used look wrong.

Which they do, since being perched on the edge of the BTR like that, the slightest upset that the suspension cant dampen out is going to fling the guys off the roof before you can say "pot hole"...

BTR-70 looks good. Would be nice if you could make some "speed" script so units will fall down from roof if driver is going to accelerate too much. smile_o.gif

Jesus... doesnt anybody read anymore?

He didnt say it WAS WRONG, he said that the animations used look wrong.

Which they do, since being perched on the edge of the BTR like that, the slightest upset that the suspension cant dampen out is going to fling the guys off the roof before you can say "pot hole"...

+ 1000

And Falcon 1, I have flown fixed wing aircraft before and it is possible to roll without pitching. It is also possble to pull -1.5 g's in some military helicopers. When people are perching like shown on the btr and that helicopters, it requires operator care to ensure that noone falls out. This operator care is not necessary in ArmA, and so it will LOOK wrong if the helicopters or btrs are doing something that would necessarily make the troops fall out. For instance, it is possible to barrel roll and fly inverted in the BIS mh6. The troops on the benches aren't belted in in any way, it seems, so such maneovers look wrong when the troops don't fall off.

Furthermore, there are reasons for troops to be riding on the tops of APCs other than 'because they can, or because people have in the past', most of which are not simulated in ArmA.

New variant with upgraded overhead mount turret. New modern Russian camo skin being worked on as well.

BTR70M.jpg

Looks GREAT mate, I found some pictures of this one and lost them in the billion links I saved on my favourites lol. As soon as I find them I'll post some, they may be helpful wink_o.gif

Great work again, hope to see this baby soon ingame smile_o.gif

Cheers, GH.

I already love it, I would just suggest to upgrade the turret's searching light to a smoother poly, maybe a 24 sides cylinder, my eye's at once catched by the difference with the other lights' shapes. Just my opinion, you all made a great work smile_o.gif

Cheers, GH. smile_o.gif

Expect release of all variants in a day or two. smile_o.gif

Ahhh shyte!! I look forward to the upcoming release. A weekend release would be a nice treat. (As long as you feel completely satisfied with what you release, of course. biggrin_o.gif ) Take your time and thanks for the hard work.

Hopefully that small few will be civil if something comes up which delays your project.(Although it seems most of them haven't been around these parts for a while. thumbs-up.gif ) After all.... it is expected in a day or two, not guaranteed! biggrin_o.gif

Thanks again!

Sorry but it may be delayed for a bit. I can not get damage textures to work correctly among a few small other bugs.

-Broken steering wheel

-Cant cross bridges

-Floats too high in water

-Cannot disable wheels/turret

Great work MechaStalin thumbs-up.gif

Can't wait to try out!

A lot of hard work done here! Good job , is a damage model planned for the future?