Sign in to follow this  
oblisk

TrackIR

I am thinking about picking one of these up. Problem is, I don't play any other sims besides ArmA (ArmA2 and OFP2 in the future). I don't play Flight sims at all. Will it still be worth it? I've seen a lot of videos on the x,y movement, but nothing in the z(zoom) function.

ArmA players, would you recommend TrackIR?

Its quite a lot of money, but my team uses TIR, mainly for ArmA. Pilots love it even more... its something completely diferrent to look down on where are you landing actually.

If you fly a lot in ArmA or if you have too much money. It's definately not worth it for just infantry alone IMO, because the free look control with keyboard + mouse is very good also.

The zoom axis is a pretty useless and distracting gimmick. I rather use keys and buttons for that. The lean control is good when you wan't to look out of a bush or peek through some tiny gap.

Maybe try FreeTrack first, if you can find a dirt-cheap webcam somewhere and you can put some LEDs on a hat.

I was unsure about it too so I made this

hat1600.jpg

Works just as good and it cost about $10

I decided I didn't do enough flying online to justify the expense.

I don't find it so useful on the ground.

I've got one and never start up arma without it.

Even when playing infantry it adds a lot to the game (for me that is).

it really adds a lot to the arma experience (especially when flying but also as infantry for greater situation awareness from looking around) and the support you get from the people that make it is great!

situational awareness is bar none, for infantry or pilot.

you can lookaat friendlies going off one direction, and you can run to another, without losing sight. (within a certain angle.) even if some may not find it useful in "infantry " mode, it definitely add immersion. you feel "there" and it heightens the effect of "where is the enemy!? where are my buddies!?" looking around,one direction, but holding a direct line of fire in another.

once BIS got track-IR, i have no need to play any other combat soldier game, or sim. coming from the flight sim market, i have no desire to "look" with a mouse, when the head instinctively , and intuitively is made to do such purpose. i wont hop onto the track-ir/freelook debate. im tired of it. just pick one, and STICK with it. most people who DONT like either one, in MOST cases, didnt like the "new feel" and tried it back and forth. STICK to it, and in a week you will feel natural with it. if you go from keyboard, to headtracking several times, you will naturally go back to keyboard because that is what you are most used to. you most likely will see it as a "gimmick" DO NOT allow yourself that crutch. after you are fluent with it...you WONT ever look look back to clunky keyboard controls for head/body direction.

I 2nd all that GAU-8 said.

The only issues smokers like myself have, is the 4th led (cig) may cause whiplash. crazy_o.gif

Hi all

TrackIR is the best bit of kit you will buy.

For Pilots it is a must have. Landing choppers is much easier when you can look around. In dogfights it is a massive advantage as you can keep the enemy in sight. Ditto ground targets; spot it keep an eye on it. Flying is so much more fun when you can look around at the scenery.

For infantry situational awareness goes up. You are constantly able to check your position relative to your squad. You are far more likely to spot that AI hiding in the alley or side road. Being able to do a graduated lean round a corner is great. For some weapons with iron sights up you can still look around and then drag the mouse sights on to a target on your flank  in micro seconds. In PvP mp games it is a great advantage.

Kind regards walker

I've had my TrackIR only a few days.

It does add to the immersion in ArmA. Very intuitive, quick to get the hang of. Very happy with it. I play other sims too. EECH, car games such as GTR2, GTL. TrackIR truly shines in these games.

Far as ArmA, I'm only using yaw and pitch (looking around), find leaning or zooming with it too cumbersome. I've increased the deadzones to make ironsights easier to use (the slightest head movement will throw one's aim out). Flying with it is great.

I disable it during MP deathmatch\CTF.

Physically turning your head simply isn't as fast as using the alt key. It might actually be a disadvantage during competitive play, where speed is everything. Though in PvP I rarely use the alt look around either. So perhaps this has to do with my play style.

I wouldn't dream of starting ArmA up without it though...

I have one, it's cool but not a "must have" for ArmA IMO. You can only justify the cost if you're also into flight sims. Other than that, keep your money smile_o.gif

just curious, why is there a difference for those who like it for flying, but not for infantry? its the same thing..

not trying to cause an argument/flame war, but i really dont understand it. only thing i can think of is in "infantry" mode you guys dont like the "loose" feeling of the curves? reason i ask is because i have no dead zones set up, so slightest movement will have the reticle off center from screen, but i am so used to it that way i can still point and click. bang bang. i realised if i spend time trying to get the reticle in center of screen..i am dead. no dead zones allows quick reflex to get teh guy in the corner of eyesight..and still live.

just my two cents.

for me it is a MUST HAVE, but others may disagree. all i can say is if one is interested ..just try it and decide for yourself smile_o.gif

Well, I personally like it more for flying than for infantry, and for no reason other than that it's a pain to set up the thing (have to find my trackclip, find a hat to put it on, make sure the trackIR is on top of my monitor (it broke off its mount so i just kind of set it there with the mount to stabilize it), make sure my monitor is oriented just-so... for infantry, I'm usually just too lazy to use it(though it is awesome)... when flying, I pretty much NEED the trackIR. Ever since I first got the thing and used it with LOMAC, FS9, and GT Legends, I can't imagine any vehicle sim without it. Lord knows it helps visualizing helicopter landings making them about 10 times easier (although going without the trackir once in a while definitely builds up neural connections for spatial visualization) ;p

I have one and love it. I hate starting up ArmA up without it. Infantry or not. it has become so natural that I will load up Project reality for BF2, start playing and start turning me head to see beside me. It becomes natural, on the ground or in the air, I cant play without it. I agree with GAU, if you don't give it half a chance you will hate it. At first it was awkward for me, I couldn't get the right feeling, but after a couple hours, couple days, it was perfect. Fling flight sims dogfights and low alt flying was 100x better. In ArmA, ground fighting was more intense. My Sit. Awarness went up huge once I got it, well spent money.

Have u ever been in a squad, watching you sector and you turn around to find that your squad has moved off? I did, but once I use TIR, I would glance behind/beside me quickly, and was able to keep my squad in sight.

I love it, well spent money, wouldn't and can't play without it. IMHO its worth it.

Agnew

just curious, why is there a difference for those who like it for flying, but not for infantry? its the same thing..

It reduces the twitch factor all fps (even ArmA) possess.

I've setup freetrack with a USB lamp for notebooks, 1 point so I get only x/y rot.

My suggsetions are, at least with freetrack, to add hotkeys for switching the whole thing on/off to let your head resting, and the mouse emulation on/off, so you can aim in scopes with your head too, in order to not loose that head movement feeling.

It reduces the twitch factor all fps (even ArmA) possess.

what do you mean? to me the "twitch factor" is seeing someone come up in your vicinity, and dont have time to aim, just quickly sling weapon to bear on opponent, and take a shot.

or do you mean as in whole body twitching left right left right, circle, forward backward, left right left right... in looking around and scanning. (since the head moves with the body) kinda watching a kid with ADD in a toystore..

could you elaborate. cause i dont see a reduction of twitch factor lessoning with track ir/freetrack. i see an improvment, but not a lessoning of it.

huh.gif Using TIR slows me down while playing infantry. Can't really get any clearer than that.

I don't want what I'm saying to be interpreted as a flame of TIR. I think it adds immeasurably to the immersion factor of ArmA, I love it.

Got it, never used it much. I do fine with regular freelook.

no problem dimitri, i know what you meant smile_o.gif

everybody has thier preferences, i wasnt trying to bash anyone either, i was just trying to see by others what they experience, and why. its all good smile_o.gif

Not at all; the sensitivity and accuracy is such that you can have it react to barely perceptible head movements (it's adjustable); you can still be looking at the monitor with your head, your eyes can focus on the center of the screen without turning more than they would normally to read the lines of text on this forum, for example wink_o.gif

Do bears sh!t in the woods in ArmA? (If there were bears) Just curious.

and Yes, TIR in Arma is the best thing that could have happened. It takes some getting used to and perhaps a little adjusting, but once you have it setup right it adds just so much more to the experience.

Do bears sh!t in the woods in ArmA? (If there were bears) Just curious.

*Robot Voice* - Sorry I don't understand the question. Please rephrase the Question. Thank you */Robot Voice*

Anyways yeah i recommend track IR especially those that like to fly/drive etc.

Personally when out of a vehicle i always click F9 and disable the head tracking because i loose my aim a lot when trying to shoot at infantry and my head is moving lol.  smile_o.gif