Sign in to follow this  
franze

F/A-18E/F Super Hornet

Ah Franze, I got my new PC and put it together yesterday. Kicked ArmA onto the HD and downloaded Addons.

Your F18 on very high details and a smooth running ArmA is even better thumbs-up.gif

(Just have to buy a new Joystick biggrin_o.gif )

i noticed some strange things in the F-18, the fuel runs out very fast and im not sure if its my bad piloting skillz or what but it runs out of fuel extremely fast tounge2.gif i crash the thing into the sea more often than land on the carrier addon tounge2.gif

and i miss the top left side fuel HUD so i cant see fuel when i fly in 3rd person view, but its a very beatiful aircraft! smile_o.gif

You're not using the afterburner much right? That thing sucks your fuel away in no time, I found that out the hard way once..hehe...ah testing is fun.

tounge2.gif Oh I'm sure you'll improve.

Static Aircraft Parked on deck not a good idea?

You would'nt use them for that?

I think alot of people would use them for that.

What's the difference between static's used on deck or at an airbase?

Location, but he said he didn't say it would be useless.

"The usefulness can be seen elsewhere, e.g. in cutscenes or vice versa, where a fully-functioning version isn't necessary"

He's saying its usefulness can be seen in other area's rather then just ingame and on a carrier, so on.

Had a run of these F/A-18s and for the most part am very impressed. However there's some oddities that I think could be improved upon.

There's a lot of stuff in the addAction menu! If you could create a button-rific GUI dialog that could sit on the screen that would help a lot.

The backup ADI has its mount transparent mistakenly.

The drop tanks system is really weird. They should just refuel the internal fuel of the plane continuously until they are dry or ejected. It's weird that the jet runs off the internal fuel and then you hit "Eject tanks" and suddenly it transfers all fuel into internal and then drops the tanks.

The HUD has a AIM-9 seeker diamond up all the time.

The ARM, SEA, and GPS guiding modes create a virtual target that prevents you from using all the nifty range to target info of the in-game HUD (the lines on the circle that march around) and the ArmA UI range. Can't you make it so the TD box is actually in the distance and not at the virtual target?

CCRP bombing should be possible by allowing bombs to lock but having next-to-nothing in terms of maneuverability. That way the lock diamond fade in happens as a visual indicator to release. (Like the Harrier GBU-12) Some kind of custom TD box would work for horizontal direction. Mk82s, Rockeyes, etc are really hard to use now.

Master Arm would allow all the weapons systems to be off while during airfield operations for reduced clutter and safety.

Really like the gear down only available at low speeds! Flaps too would be appreciated.

Very impressed with the cockpit moving map MFD. Can it be used for waypoints and targets too?

Isn't the F/A-18F used pretty much only for training? Why is it in combat in the sample missions?

Perhaps wing fold/unfold only available is the cockpit is up? Just trying to reduce the addAction clutter!

Possible to have a loud engine outside but quiet in? Maybe use the turn-in/ turn-out to have the engine loud with cockpit open and quiet when it's closed.

Most flight features should be disabled when the canopy is open.

A tadpole or header tick to the next waypoint and the ability to set your own waypoints would be REALLY nice.

With he Mk-82 HD bombs you can cycle between high-drag and slicks but the UI doesn't let you know what weapon you've got. You could have both available as magazines for the bomb launcher and simply swap out the magazines on mode cycle.

@Franze

Some thoughts I had reading these comments! smile_o.gif

Master Arm would allow all the weapons systems to be off while during airfield operations for reduced clutter and safety.

Good idea!

Quote[/b] ] Really like the gear down only available at low speeds! Flaps too would be appreciated.

Perhaps a little beep sound if you hit stall speed?

Quote[/b] ]Isn't the F/A-18F used pretty much only for training? Why is it in combat in the sample missions?

Wouldnt having a second pilot take allot of stress of the first pilot if they fly longer missions, and also with targetting weapons...

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps wing fold/unfold only available is the cockpit is up? Just trying to reduce the addAction clutter!

Perhaps you could animate the flap section on the folding parts of the wings so that they return to 0 when the wings are folded?

Quote[/b] ]Possible to have a loud engine outside but quiet in? Maybe use the turn-in/ turn-out to have the engine loud with cockpit open and quiet when it's closed.

Is that even possible?

@Franze are you doing starting up sounds later on? Would love to have a jet engine reving up sound. Same goes for when you turn the engine off. Peeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwww.... crazy_o.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Most flight features should be disabled when the canopy is open.

No because then I cant taxi to the runway the cool way... rofl.gif No seriously I think they are able to move all the flight surfaces while taxing in real life. Even if it were to just check if they are working. (Or wave people goodbye before you take off full burner)

smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps a little beep sound if you hit stall speed?

I dunno about you but I got a master caution every time I was below X speed not in landing configuration in the current mod. I think it's already in.

Quote[/b] ]Wouldnt having a second pilot take allot of stress of the first pilot if they fly longer missions, and also with targetting weapons...

I wasn't arguing logic or convenience, but realism. I'm sure a 2-seat training F-16 would be the same way but we all know that they only use one-seaters in combat.

Quote[/b] ]Perhaps you could animate the flap section on the folding parts of the wings so that they return to 0 when the wings are folded?

I'm pretty sure the part of the wings that have the flaps is the fixed portion so there are no flaps on the folding parts. I think it's proper that folding and flap position are independent.

Quote[/b] ]Possible to have a loud engine outside but quiet in? Maybe use the turn-in/ turn-out to have the engine loud with cockpit open and quiet when it's closed.

Is that even possible?

Yes. It's called InsideSoundCoeff or something in the config. It adjusts the relative sound levels between outside and inside the vehicle. I don't know if you can use turn-in/turn-out with aircraft, but if you could then you could couple turn-in with canopy close and thus canopy open would be full loud and canopy close would be cockpit quiet.

Quote[/b] ]No because then I cant taxi to the runway the cool way... rofl.gif No seriously I think they are able to move all the flight surfaces while taxing in real life. Even if it were to just check if they are working. (Or wave people goodbye before you take off full burner)

Not flight controls. I mean weapons systems and the targeting radars and such. Just another suggestion to remove addAction clutter.

Quote[/b] ]Wouldnt having a second pilot take allot of stress of the first pilot if they fly longer missions, and also with targetting weapons...

I wasn't arguing logic or convenience, but realism. I'm sure a 2-seat training F-16 would be the same way but we all know that they only use one-seaters in combat.

maybe in the USAF, but it IS possible any of the other countries that use the F-16 may have combat-operational dual-seat falcons. as for the F/A-18F, the royal Australian air force is exclusively buying the Dual-seaters, owing to our use of the F-111 and the benefits of a two-crew operation. we will not be buying any single-seat Supers, so at least ours will be combat-operational.

just because a fighter has two seats doesn't make it just a trainer - just look at the F-15E strike eagle.

Hailstorm took the words right out of me mouth, F-15E.

Besides, even if the US Navy doesn't use dual seaters for combat doesn't mean they can't be used for it in the game, even though we are generally pointed towards the more realistic values, it doesn't hurt to add a bit of fiction.

Plus it gave me an excuse to sit in the back seat while Franze piloted and I could sit and enjoy the ride whistle.gif

@ANZACSAS Steve

You've misunderstood me. I said I would do a static version, and I was responding to someone else saying that it wouldn't be useful.

@Frederf

Quote[/b] ]

There's a lot of stuff in the addAction menu! If you could create a button-rific GUI dialog that could sit on the screen that would help a lot.

If you open a GUI dialog while flying, then you lose control of your vehicle. You can however use certain keys to engage actions instead of cycling through the menu:

Vehicle Turbo - Afterburner toggle

Binocular - Drop tanks

Gear up/dn - Gear up and down

Eject - Ejection seat

Quote[/b] ]

The backup ADI has its mount transparent mistakenly.

Noted; will fix.

Quote[/b] ]

The drop tanks system is really weird. They should just refuel the internal fuel of the plane continuously until they are dry or ejected. It's weird that the jet runs off the internal fuel and then you hit "Eject tanks" and suddenly it transfers all fuel into internal and then drops the tanks.

Current implementation is a simple method that works. In the future, a change will probably be made, but not for this aircraft.

Quote[/b] ]

The HUD has a AIM-9 seeker diamond up all the time.

I haven't seen this?

Quote[/b] ]

The ARM, SEA, and GPS guiding modes create a virtual target that prevents you from using all the nifty range to target info of the in-game HUD (the lines on the circle that march around) and the ArmA UI range. Can't you make it so the TD box is actually in the distance and not at the virtual target?

As far as I'm aware, no. For the GPS target, you've already clicked on the map so you should have some idea how far away the target is. ARM and ASW targeting should report distance to target upon activation.

Quote[/b] ]

CCRP bombing should be possible by allowing bombs to lock but having next-to-nothing in terms of maneuverability. That way the lock diamond fade in happens as a visual indicator to release. (Like the Harrier GBU-12) Some kind of custom TD box would work for horizontal direction. Mk82s, Rockeyes, etc are really hard to use now.

CCRP and CCIP are without a doubt possible, but I had problems trying to getting it to work on the F/A-18E/F, so I scrapped it. Saved for future aircraft.

Quote[/b] ]

While I understand that this is a useful/realistic feature in most simulators, I believe it would be more trouble than it's worth for ArmA. But I'll think about it.

Quote[/b] ]

Really like the gear down only available at low speeds! Flaps too would be appreciated.

Flaps are game defaults, and I'm not sure if you can remove actions on game defaults.

Quote[/b] ]

Very impressed with the cockpit moving map MFD. Can it be used for waypoints and targets too?

In a linear fashion, possibly; but ArmA isn't too friendly with built-in interfaces.

Quote[/b] ]

Isn't the F/A-18F used pretty much only for training? Why is it in combat in the sample missions?

F/A-18F is a two seater combat-capable version. There is a version with dual controls, but most of the Fs are equipped with controls for weapons usage, etc.

From F/A-18E/F Flight manual:

"...The rear cockpit can be configured with a stick, throttles, and rudder pedals (trainer configuration); or with two hand controllers, a UFCD adapter, and foot-operated communication switches (missionized configuration)."

Quote[/b] ]

Perhaps wing fold/unfold only available is the cockpit is up? Just trying to reduce the addAction clutter!

At times it's useful to be able to fold wings while waiting to takeoff, etc.

Quote[/b] ]

Possible to have a loud engine outside but quiet in? Maybe use the turn-in/ turn-out to have the engine loud with cockpit open and quiet when it's closed.

Possible, but complex. Not for this addon.

Quote[/b] ]

Most flight features should be disabled when the canopy is open.

Not many features turned on while at a full stop with canopy open.

Quote[/b] ]

A tadpole or header tick to the next waypoint and the ability to set your own waypoints would be REALLY nice.

Setting own waypoints - not sure how that'd work. Direction to next waypoint on HUD - I believe that should be possible. Will try it (probably not on the latest update).

Quote[/b] ]

With he Mk-82 HD bombs you can cycle between high-drag and slicks but the UI doesn't let you know what weapon you've got. You could have both available as magazines for the bomb launcher and simply swap out the magazines on mode cycle.

I will see about adding an indicator or notice about current drop configuration in the future.

For your second range of comments:

Quote[/b] ]

I dunno about you but I got a master caution every time I was below X speed not in landing configuration in the current mod. I think it's already in.

That was probably Over-G warning.

Quote[/b] ]

Hinges upon the air force in question. I know some air forces only have two seater variants of the aircraft. Otherwise, see above for answer.

Quote[/b] ]

Yes. It's called InsideSoundCoeff or something in the config. It adjusts the relative sound levels between outside and inside the vehicle. I don't know if you can use turn-in/turn-out with aircraft, but if you could then you could couple turn-in with canopy close and thus canopy open would be full loud and canopy close would be cockpit quiet.

I don't know if insidesoundcoef can be dynamically modified. It used to be very quiet, but many complained that it was too quiet inside the cockpit. To create the sound difference with canopy open/closed would require scripting a sound.

Quote[/b] ]

Not flight controls. I mean weapons systems and the targeting radars and such. Just another suggestion to remove addAction clutter.

If you're stationary with canopy open, then the functions available shouldn't matter as you theoretically should have all the time in the world to navigate the action menu.

@-HUNTER-

Beep at stall speed I ruled out given how easy it is to stall the aircraft.

Engine startup sound... Not for this addon. Future aircraft, maybe.

You can only move the rudders while at low/stationary speeds with all aircraft in ArmA. Game limitation. smile_o.gif

@all

I'm still working on bug fixes and modifications, but I hope to have an updated version by this evening up.

I can see why the current drop tank implementation is easier. I'm not going to demand anything but just suggesting that a system where the internal fuel is refueled via script (and the tanks are de-fueled at the same rate) shouldn't be too difficult. On a related note "Bingo" fuel warnings would be pretty cool.

Nuts about the GUI losing control. I assume you know what you're talking about but I have to ask if you know about movingEnable = 1 in dialogs? I would guess that doesn't do it.

The distance to target with the virtual targets is only unfortunate when trying to utilize guided glide bombs since range to target is a big factor on when to release. Perhaps the range could be updated every few seconds?

The Master Arm (perhaps a "SAFE" weapon included?) was more for removing some addAction clutter. Now that I think of it the targeting modes like SEA ARM and GPS weren't available while taxing so nvm.

If flaps are game defaults and cannot be removed, how did you get Gear to be dynamically available?

I haven't tested it but I could swear that the F-18 was very quiet when outside it. Even a static insidesoundcoeff would allow a loud jet to be quiet inside. The use of turn-in and turn-out was not to dynamically change insidesoundcoeff but to make change the seated pilot move between "internal" to "external" based on the canopy state. I understand that's highly experimental. I'm pretty sure when you turn out in a M1A1, Stryker, M113 you are subjected to the external sound levels. Probably something that doesn't work on Air vehicles knowing how BIS hard codes stuff.

Setting your own waypoints would be some sort of onmapclick thing. It's quite possible using scripts. Being able to set your waypoints on the ground before a sortie and then see the heading ticks in the HUD would really streamline missions.

Perhaps some aircraft damage or player blackout on over-G maneuvers?

Updated core to 0.45 and Squadrons addon to 1.1:

Beta 0.45

- Modified wreck scripting: aircraft no longer deleted. Deleting aircraft caused performance issues.

- Added switches for wreck script control: fz_f18_nowreck and fz_f18_nowrecksmoke

- Added basic static aircraft types for scenery objects. These are just aircraft with all scripts replaced by a simple

one with basic parameters set. Still classed as aircraft, so will explode when destroyed. Wings can be folded in the same

method as with the standard versions.

- Modified Mk80 drop mode text to display which mode has been selected.

- More bug fixes.

See first page for download links.

@Frederf

Running off external tanks - yes, probably simple to make it work that way, but I'm unwilling to make those changes on this addon due to the age it's building up.

Bingo fuel warning - already exists.

GUI Control - I'll try that switch and see what happens, but I'll make no promises for additional GUI dialogs on this addon.

Range updates - Perhaps text based every few seconds. Maybe.

Landing gear - The aircraft doesn't use the game default gear functions. It's coded as a gearretracting=false unit.

Outside sound real quiet? News to me. What are your game volume settings?

Turn-in/Turn-out - These are hard coded for tank class units when I last checked.

Waypoint setup - I hadn't thought of onmapclick, good point. Unfortunately, again, I'd prefer to experiment with that on a new build addon instead of an old one.

Over-G effects - Damage effects already implemented.

Hmm I'm not so keen on having to swap weapons every time the rack runs out.... it can be awkward in certain situations having to flick through everything just to get to the next set of Mk82's..... But the new arming screen is awesome'O.

Hmm just pointing out my CopG seems to bee suffering from random backseat death syndrome in the grey two seater.... Any Ideas? Anyone else experiencing! Cheers again!

@wolfbite

That is one of the side effects of this implementation; I will see about modifying it so that pylons can be grouped, but no promises.

Gunner death in the VFA-41 grey version is apparently a bug that slipped through. I'll fix it on the next update.

You could have a fired eventhandler that would swap through all the hardpoints after launch (and 0 ammo) to look for the next weapon of that type.

maybe even 'remove' the weapons that are empty so that you don't have to scroll through them to find a different one.

There is of course the option to "hide weapon to user when ammo is not present" with all weapons. It would be a simple change that would allow more manageable weapon selection with no (personally identified) downsides.

I got one question here:

what does FLIR's feature on Hornet addon?

How do I operate it?