Sign in to follow this  
_Pingu_

MAG 58 with ACOG (M240)

Thanks to the newly released models I've stuck an ACOG on the MAG 58 and created a calibrated sight based off NWD's scope fix (thanks) which goes out to 1 kilometer.

I've also fixed the ejection port, now the casings come out the bottom of the weapon (no link out the side though unfortunately). The weapon is more accurate too, an 8 round burst at 500 meters should not be going wildly off to the side by up to three meters, or maybe it's just simulating American marksmanship? Finally, I've fixed the recoil which now goes up instead of down.

Sounds come from our (AACF's) sound mod.

Do whatever you like with it, it's got that BIS licence whatever that is I suppose, so long as credit remains mine.

Class name is m240_acog, addWeapon it to a weapons US crate.

Here it is, mirrors appreciated:

http://www.armedassault.info/index.p....lang=en

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=2813

edit: Oh, and the reticle is for the 1.09 patch. Not sure if ballistics have changed so it may not work in 1.08 as well.

Cool, would try this now............. but

Whats the class name for the weapon? Can't find it in the editor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH! Sorry, I really should have mentioned it.

Class name is m240_acog, no box for it or anything.

The M240 is somewhat different from a usual MAG... I look forward to trying this out, thanks biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]The M240 is somewhat different from a usual MAG...

The M240 is the same as the MAG 58, however the M240 B is more of an updated version.

Quote[/b] ]M240 is the Stupid Yanks way of saying MAG 58, the rest of the world Calls it the MAG 58 why carn't they?

For the same reason the Brits call it a GPMG or L7A2, and the Canadians call it a C6, and Estonia call it a Ksp 58, and Indonesia call it a SPM2-V2 GPMG, and so on... mad_o.gif

Nice addition mate, always welcome.

Class name is m240_acog, addWeapon it to a weapons US crate.

Its me again wink_o.gif

You should use ofpec tag. Its very important for compability between addons.

M240 is the Stupid Yanks way of saying MAG 58, the rest of the world Calls it the MAG 58 why carn't they?

US military has it's own designation system (M-series), as do most other armies of any greater size...

Well ultimately this addon will probably get used in a bunch of custom infantry packs, so it'll probably get its pbo name changed quite a bit so I don't think its a major issue (as long as proper credit is given to BIS and _Pingu_.

After testing this addon I REALLY like it alot. The recoil and accuracy is spot on. This weapon with the ACOG is very commonly used now by NATO forces so it definitely gives a more modern feel to the addons using it.

However....one small nitpick... the sound while high quality, suffers from a lack of bass frequencies. I really like the belt link sound and generally it sounds good, but its not loud enough and it needs a little bit more ooomph to the sound.

While I have not fired the M240, I was a gunner on its predecessor in the US Army, the M60 GPMG, which fires the same caliber ammunition. The sound was definitely a lot heavier then the 5.56mm weapon sounds giving you a feeling that you definitely had a more powerful weapon. That and the ability to knock out easily targets 600 meters away (with iron sights) really was nice. smile_o.gif

So I would recommend perhaps pumping up the sound a bit. If you like I can do it for you as I have experience doing alot of sound editing.

Or you can just leave it to individual mods to decide what sound they want to use. That is up to you. Either way I think is fine.

Anyways, overall, great job. I just wish the IDF infantry still used the M240, 'cuz then my mod could use this addon. Sadly the IDF stupidly removed most M240's from infantry squads and replaced them with the belt-fed 5.56mm Negev squad assault weapon. Very very stupid if you ask me.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

nice one, maybe an acog for the m249 as well?

also the different names are because of different countries military designations.

I'll certainly give it a listen, maybe we can even use it in the next version of the sound mod if it's better.

From what I understand though the m60 is a much louder and beefier sounding weapon.

It should be twice as loud as the stock arma sound, perhaps try listening to it from a distance? I suppose you mean the volume of the actual sound though.

Thanks for the feedback.

nice one, maybe an acog for the m249 as well?

also the different names are because of different countries military designations.

There's already an m249 acog in the AimPoint desert weapons pack.

Reguardless, I'm not going to work on the minimi while the MAG 58 is still found wanting. I've still got an aimpoint and tripod to do.

Here in the 101st we do not have the ACOG for the M240B, or M240H. We have the Elcan M145. In my time in the US Army i have never seen a M240 with an ACOG.

I am sure that there are some units out there that have purchaded them and use them.

The M240 uses a different barrel, trigger group, and feed tray cover than the MAG 58.

We must be stupid for calling something different a different name.

This is a really neat addon that will go great with soem special operators. Great work pingu

wld427 is right.  Both the M240 and M249 use the Elcan sight.  Been waiting for a mod to have the Elcan on the M249 Para model.

GD Mast

This really is a extremely effective weapon with Acog on long distances. I had a quick test with truerangeAI on Rahmadi and slaughtered down squad after squad while rarely getting in harms way.

In Australia we use elcans, aimpoints and custom ACOGs that look like the ones provided. I thought the ACOG was the most useful and that's why I used it. Just clarifying that this isn't some imaginary weapon.

In the USMC we use whatever we can get our hands on, which usually isn't an Elcan. Many M249's I've seen have ACOGs (or as we know them: RCOs) on them and even a few M240 B and G variants with them as well. Haven't fired a 240 with an ACOG but I have fired a 249 and I can say that it's a nice addition. I've also seen EOTECH models on some 249s.

I always thought the ACOG is made/calibrated specifically for the 5.56mm round, the M240 uses the 7.62mm which has different ballistics or is it just a thing of sighting in, changing reticule (in the real thing i ask)? Or is the ACOG served in different caliber "flavours"?