Sign in to follow this  
txrx

Alligator mission

I'm really pleased with the 1.09 beta patch, a fab update (perfomance wise too) to try out.

It's been a while since I played Arma and I'm working my way through the single player missions to wet my feet again but there is one Mission that's nigh impossible for me.

The Alligator mission. It seems that once I make a pass and keep low over /near the base some thing hits my chopper and it's engine just dies. Now it's not even looking damaged let alone being hammered but even simple machine gun fire seems to KO the chopper entirely.

I googled for a solution (aka how to complete it properly) and I found this.

Quote[/b] ]

"- 0001767: [Missions & Campaigns] Looks like the "Alligator"-mission (SinglePlayer, Hokum) is now broken? Played... [bIKIIMPORT] (Stefan - bisdesign) "

Is there anything I can do or will I just skip it? I'm flying the nap of the land and doing everything right (or so I thought).

Cheers

TxRx

I have the same "problem". I tried this mission maybe more than 10 times.

I tried everything - longrange rocket spraying, attacking from low and high altitudes, nothing works - i get some hits everytime, which means the chopper is going down almost instantly (the engine stops working).

I unpacked the mission, switched the Aligator with a Cobra, and then i did it on the first try smile_o.gif

Phew, glad to hear I wasn't the only one. I may just try the Cobra and tick that one off the list.

Cheers

TxRx

I have the same "problem". I tried this mission maybe more than 10 times.

I tried everything - longrange rocket spraying, attacking from low and high altitudes, nothing works - i get some hits everytime, which means the chopper is going down almost instantly (the engine stops working).

I unpacked the mission, switched the Aligator with a Cobra, and then i did it on the first try smile_o.gif

If ka-50 goes down fast from MG fire, it means that its bugh with Ka-50? probably wrong armor values.. Or it works fine when you paly with ka-50 in editor, under MG fire.

I don't get what's so hard about this mission?

I just tried it again in 1.09 and wiped out the base in about 1 or 2 minutes without even having a single shot fired at me. I even blew up the barracks buildings with left over missiles.

Make sure you destroy the Vulcans with your missiles before the crews get in them. Thats the only thing that could possibly add any challenge to this mission.

The guys manning the machine guns don't even fire. Even if they did, it wouldn't be hard to kill them because the Kamov can take quite a bit of fire.

Hmm.. i finished mission only with one strike using (all) rockets.

Before you start KA-engines have a closer look into briefing map. There are some more ways how to achieve mission.

"A Purple Heart just proves that were you smart enough to think of a plan, stupid enough to try it, and lucky enough to survive." wink_o.gif

since in 1.09b the .50 cal gunners still don't fire at the ka-50, i also think that this mission ist quite easy. also, with the reduced hearing capability of the ai even with the truerangeai-mod it is now very easy to completely surprise the base. (it was nearly impossible to surprise the first m163 in 1.08)

the only real threat, as stated by maddmatt, are the 2 m163's (of which i almost never saw the second be boarded by its crew btw). you cannot lock onto them (as on the strykers an) if they are not boarded, so in a surpise raid you have to rely on your rockets. as soon as the vehicle(s) are manned you can lock your vickr's onto them, but then it might be already to late because the 20mm vulcan packs quite a punch.

i edited the config of the ka-50 to crewvulnerable=1 to make the .50 cals fire on me in all missions, and *then* things get hairy. in the alligator mission even the trucks and the humvee from the convoy open fire at you, and you have to fly really low and use the terrain. quite fun imho. i wonder why bis does not fix this...

you cannot lock onto them (as on the strykers an) if they are not boarded, so in a surpise raid you have to rely on your rockets.

Yes you can. You have to use your target lock key (right mouse button by default). You cant 'Tab lock' them because their engines are not on.

I have seen them all boarded before, it happens but only when you take your time.

When they are boarded, you can take them out by moving far away and using something like a hill as cover. Then you pop out and fire a missile at them each, one by one.

interesting, didn't know that. it looks that i never realised until now that there is a secondary locking-function...

thank's!!

Ah.. I was able to actually do it in the Ka-50 once I took that vulcan out from a distance (lucky I had enough ammo to take out the rest of the armour). Must be the vulcan that's causing the 1hit ko' on the chopper.

Another one ticked off the list!

Cheers

TxRx

this is not a hard mission... for me it wasn´t at least...

the trick is: take out the vulcan BEFORE anyone has a chance to use it!

fly it like this:

1. take off and head to the waypoint

2. eliminate the convoy using missiles

3. use rockets blast the damn vulcan to a crater (this process also kills everyone standing near it)

4. proceed to mashing the parked armour (use rockets ot whatever)

5.return home unharmed wink_o.gif

worked for me!

For me it was kind of hard .. been playing it in 1.02 *omg*

The Vulcan hit the chopper quite early in the right place so that it started loosing fuel. Fired off my ammo quickly at any target of opportunity and then crash landed south of the enemy camp.

Badly wounded (broken legs) i started crawling westwards along the base fence until finally a hole showed up. Found myself right on the firing range - with 1 unlucky guard.

From there it was rather easy. Snitched a Humvee Mk19 from their vehicle park and began mowing down the remaining defenders.

Speeding the Humvee back into SLA base got me some suspicious looks, but in the end nobody asked for the whereabouts of the Hokum biggrin_o.gif

I just rape the convoy with rockets, fly below the ridge line out to the nearest large coastal town to the south west, and hover above the church on the hill there and use a couple of missiles to kill the vulcans from a distance of around 2k. Then I lob rockets at the troops and parked vehicles for a bit... then I lazily fly in, blast the rest to my heart's content, and fly home.

Still pretty new to ARMA compared to a lot of you veterans here but I was considering my options in the Alligator mission when I completed it in an unexpected way. Similar to Mr.Burns method I raped the convoy with gunfire and just went ballistic with the rockets in a generally central area of the camp. I was taking fire from an "invisible" location so I settled the chopper to a very low hover (approx 3 feet) and circle strafed. Damage was getting too bad so baled out and whilst the numpty Americans were still targetting the chopper I proceeded to nick their Abrams and laid waste to everything. Job done and a nice leisurely trip back to base, not what I intended to do but completed none the less!

I just played this mission today, I got shot down by the Vulcan Anti air APC thing that's in the base so maybe that's what's making life so hard for you. No one is actually in the thing at the start, the only get in it once you're over the base I noticed.

Anyway, loaded it from flying just outside the base and hit that first and it was really easy from that point on, didn't have a single shot fired at me.

Also took out the convoy that was heading toward the base as I was approaching the base with the cannon, few shots at each of the vehicles took them out in seconds.