Sign in to follow this  
ONI.au

Pingu's claymores

Well done Pingu, good to see a release, mate. I remember the old days of OFP where we would lay claymores in the tree line and sucker the OpFor in, then Boom! Ahh, those were happy days smile_o.gif

Good work Pingu, can't wait to see the finished AW5... and the LRP... Ooops, I've said too much!

The Claymore has a 16mx 6400ml prohibited zone, if you are inside that when the weapon is detonated you well be in a world of hurt.

Your claymore is deadly enough to take out careless squads.

some suggestions:

- explosion effect could be little bit less

- add some sounds of flying (deflecting) fragments (100-300m)

- make them detectable by AI engineer and SF units

claymore range found on fas.org:

m18-Fig4.gif

this mod was made in 1.09 old bear and thanks rail for the tabulated data we used the aussie tab data for ours and in my opinion the effects for it arent enough i have been there in the army firing these things and there is a reason you dont fire these things for ambush in the dailight as there is that much dust and smoke blown up that you dont see shit

at night is a different story as you have muzzle flashes and with ninogs and nads working still amongst all the smoke crap and corruption in the air you are able to effectively target even with all of that

i can remember my range instructor screaming out at the top of his lungs as we lied 7 meters from the claymores in shellscrapes(small fighting bays 1 ft deep) "this is why you dont use claymore in daylight ambushes"and hit the clackers fro 7 claymores ...the dust didnt settle for 10 minutes and yeah we all had  backs covered in dust and a couple of guys had shredded bumpacks as thier asses sat a little high out of the shellscrapes and were lucky not to take shrap

so i can tell you in my experience the claymores we have atm are mild in comparison however the ranges for the claymore are as the tab data you posted its just to get them like that you have to have them on a flat surface (good luck) or point them up at a slight angle as they are adjustable upward and downward and left and right once placed

remember these are only in beta at this point and are a work in progress so you input is appreciated none the less

as far as the sounds and detection by sf and engineers i will let pingu know and see if he can look into it

all the best

ONI

Quote[/b] ]- explosion effect could be little bit less

seen a claymore go off? Not on a movie on a nice range, a real claymore go off.

Quote[/b] ]- add some sounds of flying (deflecting) fragments (100-300m)

Fragments and shrapnel will not make much noise at that range as the velocity is lower than the speed of sound.

Quote[/b] ]- make them detectable by AI engineer and SF units

I can cam a claymore, that it can not be seen from the pit it will be fired from less than 30m away.

Your diagram is inaccurate too.

Yeah it is loud, it is dutsty like hell IF you life in a hot country but in europe it is not so dutsy.

So i am not sure if this was answered BUT would it be possibel to release a trip wired version PLZ?

The fragments and shrapnel do make some noise. In the Army I detonated alot of C4 and TNT (as well as clays, bangalores, and hand grenades) and I always remember the sound of the debris and in some cases shrapnel, peppering the area around the protected firing point not unlike the CoC claymores and bouncing betty landmines did in their OFP landmine addon. Although with C4 and TNT usually it would be more like BOOM followed by debris raining down on top of us. lol

As for dust, yeah I didn't experience too much of that where I fired them (at Ft. Leanordwood, Missouri) as the ground was usually moist with dark organic type soil, but in dry areas, yeah I could definitely imagine there being alot of dust.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

I youtube'd claymore and your effects looks quite realistic. But it was dry places in all videos. The only no-dry environment I found was during winter, but that was with C19 claymore and I suppose that's not the same?

You shouldnt make the effects any bigger though, as in a wet northern sahrani dust shouldnt kick up so much. That is a problem with all effects, you have to find a suitable effect for a dry desert and a wet forrest..

I havent used M18A1 claymores, but i know from other explosives that there is a big difference from a wet forrest to dry sand (no-shit.. tounge2.gif)

Youtube - Claymore Range Qualification

edit: would it be possible for you to put in a global variable that will change the effects so its suitable for northern or southern sahrani? Then you can change the effect accordingly to the mission or by scripting/triggers?

No but you don't have hearing protection in so your ears will be ringing. Also you don't hear shrapnel and other good piss with other explosions in ArmA, these have been fine tuned to be still effective however not lag up a server. The originals we trailed had 700 ball bearings that lagged the server so the ball bearings were reduced but still given the same amount of power.

edit: would it be possible for you to put in a global variable that will change the effects so its suitable for northern or southern sahrani? Then you can change the effect accordingly to the mission or by scripting/triggers?

There is a scripting function that checks surface type (snow/rock/sand/water) in given location. This would be easy to implement.

http://www.ofpec.com/COMREF....r=s#789

is there a distance limit on how far away you can set off the claymore like the satchels, and if so could it be replaced by a timer or a radio detonator which has a longer distance by choice.

@ Jan. 07 2008,17:12)]

There is a scripting function that checks surface type (snow/rock/sand/water) in given location. This would be easy to implement.

http://www.ofpec.com/COMREF....r=s#789

Excellent!! I didnt know about that! That should be implemented in more addons imho.

This addon could use that function, if also the weather is checked the effect would be suitable for all conditions.

In the end its up to the addonmakers/scripters. pingu? wink_o.gif

the only sounds i remember of the shrap and debris was it hitting the ground and those sounds are in just with several claymores going off you arent going to hear much

at this point lads your idea's are being looked at in the end its all up to pingu and how he wants to progress with the addon as this has gone into more deapth than any other claymore addon thus far so i think he deserves kudos just for that

thanks mate

Do you have it rigged so that if you walk away from the Claymore a distance more than the length of the wire you won't have the option to detonate?

Also, if you reduce the # of ball bearings by 1/2, do you increase the damage of each ball bearing X 2?

Looks like smoke goes out about 25 meters forward while billowing upwards mostly in the back. I'm not seeing any dust from shrapnel hitting the ground, so why not simply use a script to impose a random amount of damage on everything in the area of effect? (Too difficult to script the amount of damage that a larger object Vs. a smaller one might incur?)

Quote[/b] ]o you have it rigged so that if you walk away from the Claymore a distance more than the length of the wire you won't have the option to detonate?

They are radio det, so distance really isn't a problem.

Sure look good in-game, i tried the XAM 1.3 version of claymores with some SAP Rabbits, they were fun indeed.

whistle.gif

You did WHAT! crazy_o.gif Rabbits... band.gifwhistle.gifrofl.gif

No seriously, this is a great addon, that improves reality allot.

I cannot wait to blow the shit out of some unsuspecting players with this.

I am personally not going to add trip wires any time soon, however I do acknowledge that some countries still use them and if someone wants to script them I'm happy to include it, it would probably be a seperate ammo box with the tripwire claymores. It shouldn't be too hard to script just a trigger between two points, if you want to do this and need some help just let me know.

I've been trying to get the effects a bit more realistic but I'm not finding it easy. I wanted to have lingering smoke from the explosion however I just can't get the cloudlets to do anything useful, if anyone's done any effects before I'd love some help here.

Yes the bearings are just decreased in number and increased in damage. The ball bearings do make sounds, the sound is that of a normal bullet hitting the dirt. There's no larger peices of shrapnel scripted however.

Finally pingu great to see you on the forums (now everyone can direct their questions at you lol)

nah seriously mate well done

im getting a lot of pm's requesting the usage of the claymores in thier mods if you could direct your requests to pingu it would be much appreciated as he is the creator of the addon i just posted its release in his abscence.

also can we make the blast more directional on the video it goes everywhere. tounge2.gif
...also as its a shaped charge has a 10 meter blast radius at first and then from beyond that shrapnel and ball bearings fly forward in an arc up to an effective range of roughly 100 meters to the front arc of the claymore

wink_o.gif

I've been trying to get the effects a bit more realistic but I'm not finding it easy. I wanted to have lingering smoke from the explosion however I just can't get the cloudlets to do anything useful, if anyone's done any effects before I'd love some help here.

Hi Pingu smile_o.gif with regard to the above statement by you, take a quick

I'm thinking of expanding this effect for more explosions, as I think explosions in general look a little weedy smile_o.gif

Let me know if it's anything like what you were imagining.

Quote[/b] ]i Pingu smile_o.gif with regard to the above statement by you, take a quick look at this. I'm thinking of expanding this effect for more explosions, as I think explosions in general look a little weedy smile_o.gif

Let me know if it's anything like what you were imagining.

And back in the real world, 40mm explosions look nothing like that. What is you opinion based on? Hollywood? That explosion looks more like an 84mm cart.