Sign in to follow this  
ONI.au

Pingu's claymores

heres the heads up for all you lovers of the claymore

a good mate of mine (pingu) has created a working model of the claymore that is completely adjustable in angle and direction once placed like the real ones and also as its a shaped charge has a 10 meter blast radius at first and then from beyond that shrapnel and ball bearings fly forward in an arc up to an effective range of roughly 100 meters to the front arc of the claymore

i personally have found it effective against troops and even softskinned and light armoured vehicles if used in interlaced arcs  

so i give to you  pingu's claymores (currently in beta stage and a work in progress)

links to be posted asap

youtube vid:

edit here is the mirror:

mirror

and yes they are able to be used in multiplayer and are comand detonated

rapid share mirror:

mirror

a nice feature of them is they are set to be fired one after the other rather than be fired all at once like satchels and this wil reduce fps issues greatly for those that dont have up to date pc's

Sure look good in-game, i tried the XAM 1.3 version of claymores with some SAP Rabbits, they were fun indeed.

whistle.gif

guys any feedback or bugs would be appreciated as they are still a work in progress

so people know they were made off the tabulated data the australian army uses for their effective ranges for the M18A1 claymore and yes there is a little note on the top left that says DO NOT EAT CONTENTS so they are as real as they could be

the only thing is the remote detonation device wasnt implimented on this model as it wasnt thought of until it was well after model production so the next model should have it

pingu was going to model the cord for detonator but we believed it would be dificult to stabilize in multiplayer so it was left out

...got beer first, than dl after that edit & try  wink_o.gif

booby-traps (wth cords X--------X) would be nice too, don't know if someone had already made this or was it script??

dl....

edit

where are those claymore -  object, engineer, sf, ammo huh.gif

sorry, no readme with weapon/classname only for that you've to owe me a beer smile_o.gif

claymores were never designed to be destroyed by incoming rounds they are inert without a primer and thus has to be detonated using either a radio operated detonator or the old fashioned clacker after arming the claymore and even then they dont blow up from being shot they are designed that way as a 'safe' explosive device

edit: thanks foxhound for the front page and the mirror mate

pingu will much appreciate it im posting on his behalf as he is having issues trying to get an account on the forums

... nice work but is it possible to make em blow up by itself if a soldier is in range, maybe 5 meters???

claymores were never designed to be destroyed by incoming rounds they are inert without a primer and thus has to be detonated using either a radio operated detonator or the old fashioned clacker after arming the claymore and even then they dont blow up from being shot they are designed that way as a 'safe' explosive device

Ah thanks for the explanation thumbs-up.gif

I figured people might use it to try and disbale them if they see them, by shooting or otherwise.

I guess they better just go another way smile_o.gif

Your welcome for the news + mirror wink_o.gif

... nice work but is it possible to make em blow up by itself if a soldier is in range, maybe 5 meters???

sorry mate but being ex aussie military and we follow the geneva convention to the letter so no proximity application has been added to the australian version of the claymore in real life so we didnt put it with ours we also dont use any form of trip sensor with our claymores either as the australian army does not use any form of 'mine' in its arsenal the claymore in the australian army is treated as a remote detonated explosive device and nothing more

The M18A1 Claymore is no longer known as a mine it is known as an anti-personal weapon, such as the F1 fragmentation grenade.

As a former engineer in the US Army Corp of Engineers (Army Reserve) I trained on claynores and never saw any type of proximity fuzes for the claymores. I'm sure some SF units may have some kind of fancy fuzes like that, but I never saw any. We just used blasting caps with a electrical wire crimped to them (with a tool called a "crimper" and inserted those into the claymore. We then hid the wire with leaves or dirt and tied it around a tree or two in case anyone tripped over the wire.

On the firing end was a clacker. Before attaching we had to short the wires by crossing them in case static buildup caused an accidental discharge while connecting the blasting cap to the wire at the other end.

Once connected however it was a piece of cake to use and is definitely an extremely effective weapon.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

thanks for clarifying miles i agree that was the standard s.o.p.'s when i was in aswell and yeah a peice of piss to use but what i meant by proximity would be to lay tripwires and the australian army nolonger uses the claymore in this way as it nolonger considers the claymore as a mine this is why we didnt use any applications of this type as thats just basically movie hype the other method i got to see while i was in was radio detonators but the commando regiment and such were the only ones to get a hold of them us standard infantry had to use clackers which in my opinion is a safer method anyways

Ah ok. Yeah I had forgotten about the trip wire detonators that could be rigged up. It's been awhile...but I think they were the same type used on the M16A2 "bouncing betty" landmine, or at least something very similar. I never liked trip wires....if the tension was too tight...bad things could happen. sad_o.gif

I agree about the radio detonators vs. landline wire. Radio detonators are easier to jam...well shielded wire...very difficult to jam.

But yeah at any rate, when I was in, we were still training to use all kinds of landmines. The "bouncing betty's" being the nastiest. Personally I hate landmines. Command-detonated claymores on the other hand....aaah...now those are a soldier's little friend. I call them "frogs" cuz they're small green and can jump out at ya!. LOL!

In FPS games like "Joint Operations", when someone hits one of my clays, I always type, "RESPECT THE FROGS!!!" lol

In ArmA they would be great for ambushes and for base defense. For armored convoys, one could use satchel charges on the lead vehicles, and then detonate clays when the infantry disembarked from APC's.

Creativity is the key to proper usage of claymores. smile_o.gif

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

i agree miles the correct use of overlapping arcs and interlacing them effectively you can make a simple ambush into a work of art

yes im an old lover of the claymore and  dont think i will use a satchel in game for anything now except demo as it should be

go the claymore back into its own as a real soldiers 'voice' of justice

nothing says 'EAT IT' to opfor better that a wall of shrap and ball bearings

i am however trying to get pingu to increase the smoke levels a little as i guess you know from experience miles like myself you cant see through a claymore ambush in the day too much dust and debris is thrown up by the blast but for now they will do as is

The ability to use tripwires would be great! But I guess its not easy to implement..

Surely it wouldn't be that hard to implement. Trigger based tripwires have been doable since day 1 of OFP and addons have been released that have tripwire mines (Mapfact Objects as one example).

the whole point was lads is we wanted to impliment them as they are at this point in use in the Australian Army and thats not as a mine they are nolonger considered a mine but a comand detonated anti-personel explosive device if you wish to change that i have spoken to pingu and he said that its not an issue as long as kudo's are given in any readme's for the updated version

Any chance you could make the whole blas directional instead of the 10mt encompasing explosine you get as well ?

the thing is the claymores are a shaped charge yes but there is still a certain amount of blast backwards from the explosives and i have been present at a M18A1 usage and they do have a 360' blast with a shaped charge sending shrap and ballbearings in an arc forward and these represent that

these are a realistic representation of the M18A1 claymore in just about everyway except we didnt model the cord due to the fact that

1 its camoflaged into the surroundings when placed and

2 we didnt know how it would fair in mulitplayer so rather than risk issues we didnt place it in