Sign in to follow this  
hotshotmike1001

Civil md-500e helicopter!

Mike one question, why do you release addons here when you're not interested in constructive feedback?

I mean, one asked for more colors and you added some more choppers in just basic colors. No offence but they look like my 7 year old nephew painted them.

Your 2nd post shows a MD-500 from FS, why you haven't painted it at least like that? These colors are just... ugly.

There were several honestly meant suggestion on how to improve it by adding doors, removing the ladder (why a MD500 needs a ladder ?) etc. and what you do? You ignore these people and talk about mirrors and adding more helos in the same ugly basic colors.

Since I stumbled across you back in the VBS1 forums you do that kind of "work", and well one could think after all the years you improved your skills atleast a bit. You should have left behind this copy&paste phase long time now. But the recent stuff you released shows exactly the opposite: copy&paste stuff everywhere: AK-74s with acog optics, G36s without the optics and now these choppers with harrier wheels, su-34 ladders and whatever else.

Don't misunderstand me here, every addonmaker is welcome and adds more content to the game. Also no one force you to make realworld, milspec addons (there is enough phantasy stuff in ofp) but you could atleast spend more time in your addons, listen to more experienced people and try to implement their suggestions.

Just my 2 cents though

Well said, w0lle.

@Mike: we're working on a "Sahrani Life" version of Sakakah Al Jawf, and I just thought you're "civi" helo would be great in it if you made it a Police version. Maybe a nice big Sunlight spotlight on it, some flashing lights, sirens... (i know sirens on a helo, but how much fun would it be!wink_o.gif

Anyway, I won't say these brightly coloured helos are ugly, just... confused_o.gif

Merry Xmas!

Quote[/b] ]Hey Guys Guess What....ITS A FUCKING VIDEO GAME!!!

That's not the point though but thanks for mentioning that.

If its a new addon maker, thats one thing.

If you just like pumping out addons with no effort, well...its a forum and people will comment.

Decent LoDs would be a real help too... This thing currently has 6 LoDs with exactly the same mesh in them, which completely defies the point of the Resolution LoDs.

And the problem is, its the same in every other bigmike/hotshotmike addon, he just doesnt seem to care. (As W0lle pointed out, we said the same thing to him a couple of years ago when he was doing this in VBS1)

While this LoD issue is no problem for chucking one in the editor and messing about with for 5 minutes, it is going to cause some serious performance issues if they start getting used in any numbers (like in Sahrani Life or Evo for example).

never been any big fan of this guys work. Downloaded the first addon wich was MG´s with scopes , but the addon was just a big mess to play with.

hey mike i want this in arma:

NerfMods.jpg

whistle.gifwhistle.gif

I like the fact that you've given it a go to make a civilian helicopter, as it's something ArmA lacks at the moment.

However, the colours really do remind me of the LegaWarz mod from OFP.

If you possibly added a bit more of a 'natural' design that isn't too contrasting it wouldn't be too bad.

I think doors would be another idea. I woudn't like to be in a helicopter with no doors as a civilian.

The rest i'm not to bothered about (although the reso LOD stuff is a bit concerning) and if completed with the communitys suggestions - could become a good addon.

Once again, I think that the guy is free to do what he wants as long as he doesn't cause trouble to anyone.

I admit that his addons are far from being realistic and do seriously lack of 'Deepness and Accuracy', not only in terms of realism but in terms of 'Technical Work' but if some people don't find'em that 'bad', then why wouldn't he be free to keep on the way he is.

Regards,

TB

We had the allouette before the epilepsy-inducing-blur fresh from the sheep-dip.  smile_o.gif

And I finally agree with a post by Wolle!  tounge2.gif  Well said.

Reminds me of blackdog~, only not funny.

Now that was a guy that knew how to make shit addons like a pro!  biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ] think doors would be another idea.

Whats he gonna do, weld skoda doors on it?

Daniel @ Dec. 21 2007,13:48)]
Quote[/b] ] think doors would be another idea.

Whats he gonna do, weld skoda doors on it?

actually i think that hummerdoors would fit perfect for the chopper.

a little paintjob and all done tounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.giftounge2.gif

@ TB, I fully agree with you

and to the others.

Would you like some candy?

mike im a buddy of yours so ill ask one thing "WHY"

lego mod?

lod testing?

coz its close to crimbo?

mate common why make 10000's addons stop posting and just spend your time on one GOOD one that people cant bitch at you about.

by the way your  welcome.gif

Hello all, it's my first time posting here!

I just want to add my two cents to the conversation: the model in question may well not be of the highest quality and not even liked by the community, but if Mike put any time and effort into making this 'addon' isn't that a good thing? He gets enjoyment from doing it and surely some people will enjoy using his products. Who are we to criticise his work? And furthermore he is helping keep the community alive, and is it not a good thing in anyones book?

And nah, this isn't me having a go at anyone. I'm just a fan of the 'friendly' and 'egalitarian' web-based 'family'. Thanks go to those who stick up for everyone like Mike! What this world needs is a few more people who don't really care what people say! All I can say is, I've never modded so he's better than me!

Thanks all,

and kindest regards,

Tim

@Corporal29: I agree with you, mate. I was too hard on Mike at first, but sometimes you have to wonder if making an addon is about slinging together different bits of models or making something from scratch and being unique and original. While I am only a nub at 3ds max, I can make a low poly AK. This isnt a huge event, but I wonder if Mike could?

The point you make about "...helping keep the community alive, and is it not a good thing in anyones book?"... might hold water if you dont look at it objectively: does making a sub-standard addon help the modding community or hinder it?

I remember the OFP addons and the large amount of good quality addons that were created: SJB's weapon pack, Delta Troopers, FFUR, ECP - where is that calibre of addon now?

"mate common why make 10000's addons stop posting and just spend your time on one GOOD one that people cant bitch at you about."

armatech is dead on.

Being a 3d artist, I don't have a huge burning respect for this addon, or the strange weapon combos hotshotmike has released in the past. However, I do support his prerogative to make and release anything he damn well pleases without being roasted. The constructive criticism he has received is just that, critical in a constructive way. I think that when you respond to a thread like this you should ask yourself: Is what I'm about to post going to be LESS useful than the addon I'm replying to? Not everyone is going to enjoy what we all can agree are the simple pleasures of point by point manipulation, uv unwrapping, LOD creation, etc. He's exercising his creativity sharing it with others and I think that that's alright. I'm not going to say his addons are top notch, but I do think he's above lambasting. Vote with your download button.

sharing his creativity? LOLS!

i dont think flooding the texture canvas with a base color is that creative....

funny how people pop up having the same opinion now...

@ Blackknight, plaintiff.

Fair point. And yes, Armatech has got it. It just makes me sad to see people being hurtful - makes me wonder what type of response I would get if I released something  sad_o.gif

But yes, I do agree with you. But for me its...

goodnight.gif

Keep safe,

Tim

as long as youd try to improve yourself no one will bitch around, people will actually give you good advise here..

what make me and obviously others mad is that he simply doesnt give the slightes to improve his addons..

people have been helpful on the vbs1 forums.

he simply gives a damn, so that way id give a damn too.. but

it makes me angry and sad at the same time that hes getting the same recognition for something thats even not worth looking at.

its not only the look of the addons, theyre also poor set up like deadmeat said.

ive seen a lot of new comers starting out bad and getting great results with the time but mike simply isnt even try.

ok he has all the right to do that but well... its just hilarious...

and speaking globally.. ive talk to some lads from other games and they occasionally drop here and take a look around.

theyre not very impressed with the majority of the things produced cept some few.

sure puts the community in a certain light..

stops posting now... gottsa pee myself...

He's taking bits off of other models and placing them in order to create something different. In that way, he is being creative. Keep on harping on the same argument over and over. Further attack the quality of the addon, I entreat you. Then we can have a thread full of you and I repeating ourselves, and everybody wants that!

I'm not downloading the addon either, and I think it's everybody's right to review the addon in the forums, its sort of what the threads are for. I just don't see the relevance of the personal attacks. It's lazy, attention seeking, and weak-minded.

Take the bashing to PMs lads and gents ok? smile_o.gif

plaintiff1 got a good point here, if Mike releases his work here then of course he got to live with all the positive and negative comments as long as they are constructive and not poor flaming.

nephilim is right here too, it really seems to look like he doesn't care what others say if it's not praising his work. Otherwise he would have replied by now.

I wouldn't say it's not creative work, it is - to some point. But like I said before, with the years of experience in O2 he has now we could expect more (quality wise).

Stay on topic please.