Sign in to follow this  
D.murphy man

Quarantine

I played one game online with a friend and everything seemed to work fine for us. Good job creating the map! It's awesome! We both liked it very much. It's exactly how I imagined playing against zombies in ArmA.

The only thing that bothers me is that the zombies sometimes spawn right ontop of you, or very close atleast. I edited the map to make stuff spawn when you are within 1000 meters of the towns. After I play a game with someone I'll tell you how this plays out. I play with light fog, by the way. So maybe that's why it seems they spawn right ontop of me. But for me it's more fun with almost no fog, so I can see the huge empty areas and towns, only populated by zombies and few survivors... Very atmospheric.

I also removed the markers that show the players on the map so you can't see any players or vehicles markers on the map. But, I guess, this might be annoying if you play with random people that don't want to use teamwork.

I suggest you make small groups of zombies spawn randomly along the roads and remote buildings.

I'm not exactly sure, but it seems you can kill the zombies, kind of, easily. It's not really because of their numbers but because they try to run all lined up, 1 at a time, at you. If you would increase their numbers it would still be easy. The only difference might be that you might not have enough ammo to kill them all. So it would be nice if you could do something about that. I guess this migh be just a limitation in the game's AI. But please, don't increase their health!

This is the best zombie mod/map that I've played in a VERY long time. I can't wait for the new version. Keep up the good work and thank you to everybody who contributed to the creation of this map! smile_o.gif

Thanks! The range intill zombies spawn is of course subject to tweaking and change threw out development of this map, currently the spawns where set up with heavy fog in mind, of course now i have added the options to change the level of fog the spawn ranges may have to be adjusted. As for zombies coming at you in a line theres not much i can do about this and is just a limitation of the AI.

Sadly there is no zombie mods in progress and i do not have the know how to make my own zombies. Ideally i would like to see zombies that have the path finding of the Yomies addon (follow you across bridges and in buildings).

Sadly there is no zombie mods in progress and i do not have the know how to make my own zombies. Ideally i would like to see zombies that have the path finding of the Yomies addon (follow you across bridges and in buildings).

whistle.gif  Working on it.

Also once I have new pc I'll work on more zombies with missing arms and guts hanging out. yay.gif  GUTS!  yay.gif

Just wanted to say that this is a great mission. It's a nice change from EVO. Great mission!

Have you managed to implement DAC into this mission? And after playing for 3 + hours on lan with 3 others, the zombies appeared to dry up. We went around to everytown twice, walked around and still no more spawning of zombies. Possible bug? I only switched respawn to instant from base. Also, you might want to move or eliminate some of those ammocrates at the gun dealer by the docks because if you angle correctly you can get free weapons.

Like I said, great mission hope to see updates soon.

Hmm that is indeed a possible bug with the zombies drying up, however i cant think why that be. And ill make sure ill move/delete few the ammo crates in next update.

And since i been tied up lately with new years and all i have yet to implement DAC, however with all the damn problems my spawning system is causing me i think my next update will use DAC providing the cross over to DAC is a smooth and easy one (very doubtful knowing my luck)

edit: changing the respawn to instant could possibly effect the detection of the spawn zone to not detect players and not spawn zombies. Bit hard to explain but that could be the problem. However its more likely my incredibly bad scripting skills to blaim.

...And ill make sure ill move/delete few the ammo crates in next update.

Couldn't you leave all the crates there but use clearWeaponCargo on each of them. Leave them there I always like the appearance of ambient life. Speaking of which can I ask why mission makers (this misson & EVO for 2) choose to have flagpoles as shops rather than an AI behind a table or sitting at a chair with a disableAI "MOVE" and an addaction? there could be something I'm missing like there are oddities in MP but I just found it odd.

I just wanted to commend you on this mission I have yet to actually play it MP but I've been loving it SP. Also this mission forced me to download RH Handguns which I'd not used before but now they won't leave my mod folders.

...i think my next update will use DAC providing the cross over to DAC is a smooth and easy one (very doubtful knowing my luck)

I think you'll find DAC to be not only easier to implent than you expect but of great benefit to this mission. At the very least a quick skim through the included pdf should give you some ideas.

Kudos murphy look forward to updates

edit: Additionally, the boats at the dock near the weapon shop although locked have free ammunition.

Thank you pillage,

Quote[/b] ]flagpoles as shops rather than an AI behind a table or sitting at a chair with a disableAI "MOVE" and an addaction? there could be something I'm missing like there are oddities in MP but I just found it odd.

Well the reason not to have AI is the MP oddity of complete idiots who feel the need to shoot everything, including AI shopkeepers. Since the flag pole is undestroyable and a pretty obvious 'Look here its a shop!'. Where as a lot of players who might be new/ignorant will simply miss the AI shopkeeper and flood the chat with 'ZOMG WHERE I BUY GUNZZ'. Of course the ArmA community is a lot more mature then most however you still get the odd person who doesn't read the briefing or even look at the map to see where shops are.

Quote[/b] ]I think you'll find DAC to be not only easier to implent than you expect but of great benefit to this mission. At the very least a quick skim through the included pdf should give you some ideas.

I was experimenting with DAC last night and although normally it would be pretty simple i am having trouble spawning zombie units. For some unknown reason DAC has no problem spawning the zombies when i put them into civilian case 3, but when i try to spawn them as independent (which is the side there on in the editor) nothing spawns? And when there spawned as civilians they do not attack and lay down when being shot at on occasion.

So im guessing it might be a problem with the addon and its side settings.

Of course ill have to do some more experimenting, if i can just get the zombies to spawn, and attack, without a problem, the conversion to DAC *should* be plain sailing and smooth. I've already got the zones set up to activate/deactivate when a player leaves or enters which is a lot easier set up then my current spawning system (and more reliable).

*edit*

Well DAC seems to work fine with NEM_Zombies but not PROTOTYPES KAOS_zombies (an edit of NEM's) however the NEM_Zombies do lay down occasionaly as well, but they do attack!

I'll test your mission tonight with my team, on our dedicated server.

I'll let you know ASAP. wink_o.gif

edit : at first, it seems that there's incompatibility with the XAM mod.

By the way, I'll ask to Snake (the developper).

Well it seems my PC has thrown in the towel on no longer works, meaning at the moment i can no longer work on the mission in till my PC is repaired and, hopefully, nothing is lost. Which is a bit frustrating being as i would of had most of tomorrow to work on converting it to use DAC with extra features and goodies .

Sorry all! sad_o.gif

Damn... oh well v1.1 ought to keep us ungrateful bastards occupied until v1.x. Loving this mission murphy. pistols.gif

Thanks for beta testing SPON Money for me! Been out for a while, but people never bother to actually tell me when things are broken!

* The issue with not being able to get into newly purchased vehicles is a general problem with newly created vehicles in ArmA. For now, just wait a little while after purchase and they'll sort themselves out (problem worked around in the current unreleased version).

* I don't have immediate plans to allow people to transfer money between themselves (either directly, or via the bank), but it is definitely going to be implemented when I get time. It just probably won't get into the next release version.

* Regarding use of flagpoles rather than shopkeepers: Actually, there is nothing stopping you using actual people as shopkeepers, even if you fear that smacktards will shoot them. You just need to use the SIX editor upgrade addon which unlocks the indestructible anchorman character (a man in a dark suit, which has two versions, one that can die and one that doesn't die). In fact, one of the shopkeepers or bankers in the SPON Money demo already is one of these. Note: The Six editor upgrade is only required to edit the mission and the character is still available for clients without the addon.

I'm working with D.murphy man to resolve these issues and more regarding SPON Money (as I say, this is the first "serious" test for these scripts).

* The issue with not being able to get into newly purchased vehicles is a general problem with newly created vehicles in ArmA. For now, just wait a little while after purchase and they'll sort themselves out (problem worked around in the current unreleased version).

If i am not mistaken, this can be solved by issuing "reveal" command after the creation of the vehicle.<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">playerX reveal vehicleY...and i think you need to run this command localy (on the machine of the playerX).

Tried this out and like it a lot!  Just some ideas to possibly expand it's playability.  Some easy, some dreaming.  Hope they inspire.

1- Have a trigger bound to the people needing rescue to make a noise or yell "help".  Will help people locate them better/lure them into zombie ridden areas.

2- Allow for more than one save game in SP.

3- Have a radio they can purchase or a small list of missions for the player at the bases.  (people holed up and needing rescue, places not yet overrun needing support, request for supplies, scientists needing safe transport to different areas and such)

4- Ability to retain people if they so choose (random? either they want to stay and fight, or have had enough).  Nice to have someone watching your back, or have staying power in difficult missions.  Maybe everytime you collect a rescue reward, they have a chance to leave, that would save you from trying to track who stays and goes.

5- Create 'hotspots'.  The larger the city, the more zombie fodder there is. (this may be the way it is now, haven't played enough to see)

6- At times it would be nice for the military to make small probe into the Q area and back, just to throw some randomness into the mix.

7- Lastly, the ability to purchase and setup your own outpost and assign people to its defensive stations.  (it's a dream, but it's always nice to own a piece of the land and defend it against the hordes.) tounge2.gif

Thanks again D.Murphy Man (and Prototype 001)  notworthy.gif

Just a quick update my pc is now up and running again, however i lost half my RAM. Work should continue on the mission shortly.

Well, like I said before, I made the zombies spawn from a 1 KM distance but this seems to lag up low- and medium-end PCs. Not really sure why it's laging up more then the default settings because even if only 1 group spawns, it still lags more then it should. Even on my high-end PC I noticed a 10-15 FPS decrease, even when I just spawned and nothing else has been spawned yet. It's like the game just lags when you use many triggers with a large radius.

Also, I just experienced the bug that stops the zombies from spawning. The last thing I did before this happend was visiting the military base (Outpost). I checked all the stores there, but bought nothing. Then I went to the outpost in the midle, and then to another outpost directly west of the last outpost. After I visitted the second one, the zombies stopped spawning. I went to these 2 outposts after they got under attack.

Well all problems with the spawning system (and hell there was a lot of them) *Should* be fixed when i convert to DAC, at the moment im using NEM_Zombies instead of Prototypes KAOS_zombies, for some reason KAOS_Zombies refuse to work with DAC (nothing spawns) this also means its now possible to be infected by zombies as a feature of the addon, with a 5min countdown before you die and your corpse comes back as a zombie (AI controlled). However you will be able to buy the Antidote at one of the shops.

At the moment im just trying to get the damn zombies to keep standing up, for some reason when using DAC they all go prone when being shot at even with setpos "up" command.

Have you tried Yomies zombies? I got them to work in DAC but they do the same thing you experience, lay down when being shot at. I think that it has to do with DAC and how it configures units behaviours and I'm not sure it's easily fixed.

Tried Yommies but you need to do soo much to get them working. These are plug and play and simpler to use. If there was a way to use the Yomies the same way I would scrap the KAOS ones and use them.

I tried with the Yomies before and used thier spawn method but always hit the 144 cap. If there was a way around it It might be better. (Tried alot of things to break the cap) help.gif

Hopefully this mission will get more notice and we can have more Zombie takeover missions online soon. yay.gifyay.gif

I tried with the Yomies before and used thier spawn method but always hit the 144 cap. If there was a way around it It might be better. (Tried alot of things to break the cap) help.gif

I have plenty of yomies in my missions. This is from the yomie-thread, I did break that 144 cap in august:

----------------------

I have found a solution to max 144 yombies. Its just a small change so I will post it here soon, I must test it some more first.. Right now I´m playing a MP game and my yombie kills are 147.

If my calculations are right the new max number is 572 yombies. I just have to prove it, so I´m chasing them around in a M113 on Rahmadi as we speak.....

edit----------------------------------------------------------

OK. Arma crashed when I had shot about 500 and had many of them still coming straight for me. Arma did not crash because of the yombies, just the normal "inconvenience" (8800 user).

I hope 5133p39 dont mind me doing this? Nothing else is changed from 5133p39s excellent vision and job except the max-number.

To to raise the yombie-count (143*4) you have to add some code in 2 files.

The first file is init_game.sqf which you will find in the /yourmissionfolder/yomies/.

Find this code:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

ySide = createCenter Resistance;

// Center created for creating new groups when spawning new yomies.

// Unfortunately, there is a bug, which affects acquiring targets by the AI.

// To get rid of the bug, we still need some Resistance unit placed on the map,

// in the mission editor - the CreateCenter/Group won't do the job alone.

Change it to this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

ySide = createCenter Resistance;

ySidee = createCenter East;

ySidew = createCenter West;

ySidec = createCenter Civilian;

// Center created for creating new groups when spawning new yomies.

// Unfortunately, there is a bug, which affects acquiring targets by the AI.

// To get rid of the bug, we still need some Resistance unit placed on the map,

// in the mission editor - the CreateCenter/Group won't do the job alone.

The other file is spawn_yomie.sqf located in yourmissionfolder/yomies/funcs/.

Find this code:

_pos = _this select 0;

_type = _this select 1;

_i = _this select 2;

_grp = createGroup ySide;

Change it to this:

_pos = _this select 0;

_type = _this select 1;

_i = _this select 2;

_grp = createGroup ySidec;

_grp = createGroup ySidew;

_grp = createGroup ySidee;

_grp = createGroup ySide;

Thats all.

I had, before the crash, a killing spree in yombies on Rahmadi. You can choose to pump out all yombies from one marker, or divide into different. You can have all as civilians or whatever.

This doesnt change anything else, the only differens is that the maximum amount of yombies are 572 (four units are needed as normal units). But every group you add, no matter side, takes away one yombie.

I was thinking...

if you're still including vehicle spawns, make most of them wrecked but still have a few usable ones, just make it so some have flat tires or no fuel and only have very few ones that you'll be able to get in and drive away with.

reason for this being: I on my bike and I crashed, all I had to do was walk for a bit until 5 vehicles of my choosing appeared. This way you have to search the city in order to find a vehicle if yours broke or you don't have one.

And of course, with a few zombies on your tail, it makes it all the more urgent to find the right one SOON! (switch over to the passenger side to exit, quick!wink_o.gif

Dude thanks for the code fix stuff gonna give it a try. If it works I'll fig out something so D.murphy man can convert this for the Quarantine mission. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Good looking out dude!

Dude thanks for the code fix stuff gonna give it a try. If it works I'll fig out something so D.murphy man can convert this for the Quarantine mission. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

Good looking out dude!

well inless we can brake the max number completely

Quote[/b] ]If my calculations are right the new max number is 572 yombies.

Then this, sadly, will still be useless for Quarantine since i need there to be an unlimited amount of zombies to spawn so the game can last for as long as one wishes to host it, not intill the zombies run out

But if you use a delete dead bodies script, doesn't it mean you can keep using zombies when the dead are deleted, like recycling?

The yomie-scripts deletes dead bodies, so I guess you cant recycle? I have never run out of zombies, but then again 572 zombies are quite many for me and my friend biggrin_o.gif Maybe I should do a test and see..