Sign in to follow this  
tylerdurden

Modelling with solidworks?

I have not modelled anything to ArmA or OFP, but I have some 3D-CAD skills. Is there anyway to convert 3D-models from SolidWorks to ArmA's format? I think SolidWorks is way to go, when modelling anything but biological models. I know oxygen is not bad, but I really like use SolidWorks for modelling. I just was wondering if this is possible...

Find a program that onverts 3d files to P3d then use Make PBO to make it PBO (Needs config for it to work ingame.)

Find a program that onverts 3d files to P3d then use Make PBO to make it PBO (Needs config for it to work ingame.)

Or no.

What you need is to make sure it exports to 3ds and then import it into O2, setup LODs, selections, rvmats and texture paths, then you config it and get it working ingame.

Solidworks must have some integration wiht autocad.. and i'm sure that there's a way to convert autocad to 3ds. Though anothere thing i'm sure of is that such converted models will be awfully unoptimized and buggy ((

Though anothere thing i'm sure of is that such converted models will be awfully unoptimized and buggy ((

I was worrying that also...

It'd be best that you try another alternative that is free and easy to learn.

If the version of Solidworks is bought and licenced (doubt) you might. If its a student version any export to another program is blocked or corrupt with copyright messages in the moddeling data which makes it useless.  See your thinking though I would love to have this.

Done. Program called Deep Exploration CAD edition did conversion without feelings. I just can't import .3ds to O2. There is only weird sphere in 3d-space. I think I can't use O2 yet.

Anyway, here is my splined axle imported from solidworks to .3DS and rendered by 3D studio MAX 8.0:

axleix0.jpg

EDIT: SolidWorks is 2007 fully licenced

Well, you can export from Max to .3ds.

But I don't think SolidWorks is the best choice for game modeling. It doesn't really fit the scheme. It's designed for something completely different. And as thus the results might be disappointing.

But I don't think SolidWorks is the best choice for game modeling. It doesn't really fit the scheme. It's designed for something completely different. And as thus the results might be disappointing.

Hmm... Why not? What is the difference? I have learn O2 and try it.

Well because SolidWorks is designed for CAD, extreme accuracy and plans, not the best choice for game modeling.

Well because SolidWorks is designed for CAD, extreme accuracy and plans, not the best choice for game modeling.

Sure, I know that, but I just wonder why it is bad? I haven't made any models for games. Has it something to do with model's forms or something which makes CAD bad for game modelling? I have to convert some .P3D to .SLDPRT see how it looks in SolidWorks.

By the way, is there any method to measure performance of 3D-model in ArmA/O2?

Yes, with a polycount, or better triangle count. That's why CAD stuff like SolidWorks might not be the best choice, I haven't played with any of them, but from what I hear polycount is irrelevant and you cannot achieve the same effectivness as with game modeling.

The general guidelines concerning polycounts for ArmA seems to be for the first LOD:

up to 15k for vehicles

up to 10k for infantry

and up to 5k for weapons

These are just guidelines, with the right number of LODs you can go over that line.

Ok. Thanks for info. I foresaw something like this. I have to make some study for this. Didn't never done game modelling, but I like to learn.

We had a modeler that used AutoCAD and mainly modeled static buildings, which was good, but when it came to vehicles and such it wasn't the best choice to use...

My LCAC and the aircraft carrier were all modeled in SolidWorks (2006 tounge2.gif ), imported into 3DStudio Max 5.0 for optimization, normalization, and exported as a .3ds into O2 for all the tags, LODs and such.. works fine. If you're proficient in SW, you'll get your detailed model done in no-time. That makes up for the small tedium of removing dummys and such from Max, and checking the limits in O2. Good luck. biggrin_o.gif

oh lawd please no CAD for anything CGI related thats not industrial or architectural design...

CAD is only meant for the last two

but for nothing else..

i can tell you an anekdode...

some months ago i got a job over a friend to help out a team that was making a cgi movie

they made the whole architecture in auto CAD and imported into max

now they wanted to texture it..

it was a complete disaster..

i said ok send me the files i see what i can do.. ( they had 2 days left until deadline !!!wink_o.gif

i received the files

BANG! each schene had gazillion polygons each being entirely made up of tris..

trying to map it was basically not possible

i have a decent pc.. 4 gig ram, quad core 12 ghz and 2X8880 GTXers

selectin one part took 2 mins!

loading up the uv editr 5 mins..

editing them took...

it was a complete desaster..

never use auto cad for game things! NEVER NEVER pistols.gifpistols.gifpistols.gif

NEVER!

Yeah, AutoCAD stinks for anything more than 2D layouts, topographicals and such. Solidworks on the otherhand is much more efficient, depending on the export filetype and settings (VRML works best IMHO). When it gets into MAX, the most you need to do is a light optimize and unify normal before texturing. You can shed much of the poly load without disturbing the geometry one bit. Done several engineering and marketing demos this way.

Well, I'll say this:

CAD for game modeling is like trying to have sex with a monkey. It works, but it's akward, people look at you wierd and there's a chance you might get your dick torn off.

Quote[/b] ]trying to map it was basically not possible

i have a decent pc.. 4 gig ram, quad core 12 ghz and 2X8880 GTXers

try ZBrush next time wink_o.gif

zbrush works fine

even with 5 milion poly models but i solely reach that level

but those CAD models..

gazillion polys..

gazillion polys? Not necessarily. Depends how you use the tool and what you try to make with it.

Modern-day CAD programs are very good tools if you want to create 3D models or model assemblies fast. Parametric modelling, assemblies and models and sketches all with easy-to-use constraints, etc. It's so efficient and powerful that it almost makes me cry when thinking of using something else to create 3D models. I have used other programs enough to see the differences.

Yes yes, there is the aspect that something more needs to be done to get the models in-game. But not a problem, you have the tool provided by BIS to do that and 3DS Max etc. users also have to use it don't they.

could all the people who never used a real cad program please shut up?

i used maya for nearly ten years, but now after i have started using catia at university and work, i have to say that the modelling features of a real 3D CAD program (not autocad - it's good in different areas) are incredible!!

I have to admit that i also had problems converting nurbs-like "step" models to real polygon models in maya. for me the solution was to convert some parts of my model directly into polygons and to use other parts (round bevels, etc...) as some kind of template for poly-modelling which works fine. i am not sure about 3max's abilities to convert such files, which seems to be far better than maya's. BUT IT IS NOT IMPOSSIBLE! besides the already mentioned problems there are also big benefits of a real 3d cad application.

Please believe me - every modeler who once tried catia for technical modelling will refuse to go back to 3dmax/modo/maya/etc... stoneage modelling....