Sign in to follow this  
Q1184

Sharper recoils

Interesting... this is starting to make more sense.

reloadtime | fps | rpm | sec/rnd | sec/frame | frames/rnd

0.075 | 80 | 800 | 0.075 | 0.0125 | 6

0.075 | 50 | 750 | 0.08 | 0.02 | 4

It looks to me like the end result is that the engine works with frames per round (the number of frames to skip between firing each round), but it can't work with fractions of a frame.

So in this example, the reason why at 50 fps, you only get 750 rpm, is because if it skipped one less frame between rounds, then the rate of fire would be above the desired 800rpm.

It doesn't seem to be able to work with something like "4.5 frames / round", which would mean: "skip 5 frames, fire, skip 4 frames, fire, etc".

------

This is basically what NWD was getting at, only with data to back it up.

So basically, it seems that you can only set a specific rate of fire for a specific frame rate. Meaning, your mod would only work 100% for people with ~80fps; anything below that and the rates of fire begin slowing. At ~17fps you only get ~60% of the desired rate of fire.

I've used some data modeling to get an equation that sets the rate of fire for weapons, but it was based on my ~20fps machine. So that means, people running higher FPS would end up getting rates of fire HIGHER than intended. It seems to stay accurate at 30-40 fps, but I suspect it would break down badly at 50-80 fps.

Hopefully the engine will get fixed so that the ROF no longer depends on frame rate!

Good work Q1184!

Can you please fix your subclass inheritance, so that these

message will no longer appear in the ArmA.rpt - cheers!

Quote[/b] ]Updating base class Mode_SemiAuto->Single, by Q11_RealROF\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4/Single/

Updating base class Mode_Burst->Burst, by Q11_RealROF\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4/Burst/

Updating base class Mode_SemiAuto->Single, by Q11_RealROF\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Single/

Updating base class Mode_Burst->Burst, by Q11_RealROF\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Burst/

Updating base class Single->Mode_SemiAuto, by Q11_Recoils\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4/Single/

Updating base class Burst->Mode_Burst, by Q11_Recoils\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4/Burst/

Updating base class Single->Mode_SemiAuto, by Q11_Recoils\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Single/

Updating base class Burst->Mode_Burst, by Q11_Recoils\config.cpp/cfgWeapons/m16a4_acg/Burst/

PS:

If you need help with this, just tell me.

independence from frame rate doesn't seems quite difficult to achieve to me.

If they'd used a scheme where frames between shots would change, "shot - 2 frames - shot - 3 frames - shot" the gun would stutter. Most likely not visibly as human vision is to slow, but it should be clearly audible.

Actual burst sound would need to be used, instead of single shot sounds.

For lower rofs, an alternating length of pauses between shots should also become clearly visible.

A continuous, but to low rof, is in my oppinion much better than a high but unsteady rof. It would make people complain about low performance of the game, as they would think it is caused by drops in fps.

Thaks Q for pointing the error out, fixed version will be released soon. Also, I think i'll slightly raise the rates of fire seeing that most common FPS are 20-40, not 80 ). I'll go and test stuff on maximum settings now.

Edit:

Ok, after some testing with artificially created 35 FPS I found a coefficient (multiplier) that one has to use to achieve desired ROF at framerates around 30-40 FPS. It is roughly 1.15, but i'll use 1.1. Therefore, rates of fire at 30-40 FPS will be:

AK74 - 600

M16/M4 - 800

G36 - 750

MP5 - 800

And if you happen to own 8800 Ultra in SLI, they will be:

AK74 - 660

M16/M4 - 880

G36 - 825

MP5 - 880

You think it's a good compromise?

Version 1.1 released, see 1st post.

kinismo: the mod only affects the client that's using it.

Nice, very nice. I can actually hit targets now. Feels much better than vanilla ArmA. This is definately going to stay on my HD.

-Pilot

the recoil idea is awesome.. very nice! But, i have to throw in my two cents... The m16a2 has a slower rate of fire. It has a softer buffer spring which causes the bolt to go forward a lil bit slower thus, sometimes also causing the bolt to get jammed due to dust and dirt. (the m16a1 was really bad about this). The m16a4 has a stiffer buffer spring which causes the rifle to fire at a higher rate and also has less jams and misfires due to dirt and dust... dont get me wrong though, my m16 still jams like its cool... CLP breakfree only works to an extent... (rifle cleaning oil) wink_o.gif

Good god, this mod just turned ArmA into a frustrating experience to awesomeness. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but it was the recoil!

the new 1.1 version feels a bit different. version 1.0 seemed to just have a upwards recoil. 1.1 seems to also have a backwards and upward recoil. Can anyone confirm this change?

Sevan

The barrel rise and the kickback are the same, i just slightly changed the timing (for assault rifles).

HeAvY TrAnCe

Thanks for info. Btw, what about M4? It have a shorter barrel, and therefore a different pressure in it. I couldn't find any comparison between M16 and M4 in terms of ROF.

Added signed version 1.1, see first post for details. Huge thanks to Jerry Hopper for his tutorial video smile_o.gif

I'm currently working on another little project, making 40mm grenades behave more realistically (arm at safe distances,  have a probability of not detonating, self-destruct (in case of VOG-25) etc) I've also modelled VOG-25P and correct RGO behaviour. As this is my first scripting experience, there are bound to be bugs and multiplayer behaviour/performance is totally unpredictable biggrin_o.gif I regard it more like singleplayer fun right now. As for the recoils, i'm taking a little break from trying to perfect them, just to look at them with fresh eyes later sometime.

Attention! If you downloaded the signed version before the time of this post, please redownload it from the first post. (Especially if you host a mirror). BinPBO screwed up the files while making pbo's, now it's all fixed. Sorry for inconvenience.

Does this work in normal MP? Useless download, if it doesn't.

Well it's considered a cheat if not everyone has it icon_rolleyes.gif

Decent servers will either block it or recommend that everyone uses it.

I use this for SP now. I like it, but I don't think I'll use it online.

Nice stuff...thanks for this smile_o.gif

Meh, so that makes it useless. No point to train for aim you can't really use online.

Meh, so that makes it useless. No point to train for aim you can't really use online.

Well you could always get a server to allow it.

Some servers don't block mods anyway, so you could get away with using it on them if you wanted to. But those same servers might be sitting ducks for cheaters icon_rolleyes.gif

I use this on MP with no problems mate nener.gif

It's got no problems and is not concidered cheating thumbs-up.gif