Sign in to follow this  
Q1184

Sharper recoils

Very interesting idea. I've been using it, and I must say, it feels alot more like I'm firing a firearm then BIS shoddy attempt at so.

I'll be using this for a long time.

Great addon! Finaly the weapons are usable again!

This should be installed with 1.09 by default... wink_o.gif

notworthy.gif

/Abbe

Quote[/b] ]If you mean that real rates of fire do not always match declared values
Yes, that's the point of was making.

Love this addon!inlove.gif

Is there any way of making this work with custom weapons such as Aimpoint Desert weapons pack? I think it doesn't work now... confused_o.gif

Thanks.

Are you sure your rates of fire are accurate?

I'm getting ~500 rpm for the m240, when it should be 650-750 or 950-1000 (depending on the position of the gas regulator) from the data I see.

For the m249, I'm getting ~600 rpm when it should be 750 or 1000.

For the M4, I'm getting ~515 rpm when it should be 700-950.

Perhaps it is due to my low framerate? What rates of fire are others getting?

Are you sure your rates of fire are accurate?

I'm getting ~500 rpm for the m240, when it should be 650-750 or 950-1000 (depending on the position of the gas regulator) from the data I see.

For the m249, I'm getting ~600 rpm when it should be 750 or 1000.

For the M4, I'm getting ~515 rpm when it should be 700-950.

Perhaps it is due to my low framerate? What rates of fire are others getting?

The M249 should only get 1000RPM when using the 30-Round Magazines.

I wonder what your method of determining the fire rate is) I didn't change M249 rof as it seems quite accurate (860 rpm). As to M240, i tried real hard to introduce selective rate of fire until I realized the engine doesn't support it... (Btw 2000 rpm and 4000 rpm on M134 is just a hype, the rate of fire stays the same confused_o.gif ) So M240 rof stays at intermediate level BIS gave to it, 800 rpm.

I wonder what your method of determining the fire rate is

1) Shoot entire magazine

2) Count how many seconds it takes

3) Divide 60 by the result of #2

4) Multiply result of #3 by the number of rounds in the magazine

For example:

It takes me 12 seconds to fire the full 100 round magazine of the m240.

60/12*100 = 500 rounds per minute

I do realize ROF is limited by the framerate of the machine, however. I would be interested to see the rates of fire that others got, as well as their framerates.

How he does it: In a config the rate of fire is determined my the speed at which the rifle can take in another bullet. In other words a weapon with 600rpm shoots 1 bullet every 0.1 seconds. This gives you the equation: 0.1*600=60. To count it out you simply have to guess some of it and test. Too count it out use this way:

X*RPM=60 if not than change the value of X.

How he does it: In a config the rate of fire is determined my the speed at which the rifle can take in another bullet.

Is this a fact, or an assumption?

My observations are that the rates of fire for the weapons on my computer are NOT the same as what Q1184 gets on his.

Maybe I made a mistake collecting my data. Or maybe it depends on the user's system, and mine just gives me lower rates of fire. It would be interesting for others to follow the steps I gave above, and to post their results.

Ok, out of interest fired 100 rounds from M240 which took me somewhat less than 8 seconds. 100rnds/8 seconds = 12.5 rnds/s = more than 750 rpm.

To specify a desired rate of fire you don't need to guess anything. If you want X rpm, just divide it by 60 (to get rnds per second) and then divide 1 by this value, and you'll get seconds per round which is reloadTime. So reloadTime = 60/X.

Rate of fire depends on frame rate, since the minimum delay between each shot is one frame. That's why all the rates of fire are so low--so they're the same on all PCs even at 20 FPS.

I was going to add realistic fire rates to my ballistics mod (I've got new fire rates for just about everything), but this really discouraged me.

I was under the impression that the fire rate on an M240 can't really be changed in the field, though. You have to take the receiver apart to fiddle with the gas regulator or something. I think it's usually just set to 750 for carried M240s and 950 for mounted guns, and that this isn't ever really changed.

Yeah, to adjust the rate of fire on the m240, you have to take it apart and move the gas regulator to a different hole.

---

My system is getting 17 fps, and my m240 is shooting at ~500rpm.

What FPS do you have, Q1184?

Theoretically my max rate of fire should be 17*60=1020rpm, well below the 750 rpm that Q1184 is getting.

So the correlation between FPS and ROF isn't quite so simple...

I'd be very interested to see others post their ROF and FPS.

Believe me, if the rate of fire on the m240 was 500, you´d get one round down range and then have a stoppage. The ROF in ArmA is closer to 750-800 rpm. I see myself as quite proficient with the FN MAG (9 years of experience) and have experienced stoppages due to low gas pressure many times, and trust me, the rpm in ArmA ain´t that low by a long shot wink_o.gif

Has anyone else run this with the 6thSense tracers? For some reason on the M249 and M240 I'm getting less tracers than before. huh.gif

Come on man, i just assigned new recoils and redefined fire rates, how could it possibly alter tracer compatibility? smile_o.gif I also happen to use 6th tracers, and they look just like before.

lol, I'm not doing it on purpose here that why I'm confused and asked in hopes of finding out what messed up where. I tested with and without. Maybe I'll try another order and put the 6thsense mod before it and see.

Come on man, i just assigned new recoils and redefined fire rates, how could it possibly alter tracer compatibility? smile_o.gif I also happen to use 6th tracers, and they look just like before.

yes yes.. , surely you have done any kind of vu-dú to reduce the tracers rate by putting a curse on the config killrp9.gif

Yes, hilarious guys. Next time I wont bring my tech problems up around here. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anway I got it working the way everything should when I renamed the 6thSense mod folder so it was above your mod folder (I'm using the goarma launcher for sake of ease). So everything is as it should and I learned also to just keep my mouth shut around these boards and just deal with it. tounge2.gif

My system is getting 17 fps, and my m240 is shooting at ~500rpm.

Theoretically my max rate of fire should be 17*60=1020rpm, well below the 750 rpm that Q1184 is getting.

So the correlation between FPS and ROF isn't quite so simple...

It's not that simple, but from what I can tell it is still wholly dependent on frame rate. Aim up into the sky and I think you'll see your rate of fire double.

Here's how I think it's working:

For 800 rpm, the engine wants to wait 0.075 seconds between each shot.

For 17 frames per second, there are 0.0588 seconds between each frame.

It could have been programmed to skip firing on every fourth or fifth frame, giving you 765 or 816 rpm on average. But it doesn't do that, because that would cause hiccups in the fire rate (and it's bloody hard to program). So it fires every other frame instead, giving you 510 rpm.

I probably doesn't think in terms of frame skip, but the net effect is the same. In the code it's probably waiting to fire for the elapsed time to be strictly greater than the cycle delay. Even if it's just 0.0001 seconds too soon, it will wait for the next frame. It probably could have been programmed to be a lot smarter than that, but it wasn't.

a consequence of this could be to always set the rate of fire (rof) to the maximum possible for that weapon. The framerate caused reduction of the rof would simulate different powder charges and fouling effects reducing the actual rof.

with the highest possible rof set the probability that the actual rof is in the correct range is the highest.

Okay, now I'm really interested. NWD, what you are saying would make sense. I'd still be interested in hearing what results other people are getting, and especially knowing what their frame rates were.

I just ran a quick test on another machine, which gets higher fps than mine. I used a couple specially configured weapons. The second one I fired into the air, resulting in a higher framerate. Here were my results:

FPS | reloadtime | theoretical rpm | actual rpm

~38 0.070876 846 ~650

~45 0.064811 925 ~750

So, even at ~45 fps, I was still getting only 80% of the theoretical rate of fire. The funny thing is, with other weapons on the same machine, it IS possible for me to get 925+rpm.

Basically, I'm wondering: how many FPS do you need in order to get the theoretical / maximum RPM?

I guess it isn't a simple answer, since it might depend on both the frame rate, and the intended rof of your weapon, and whether they divide evenly into each other. But I would be curious to know what kind of frame rates get accurate rates of fire for which weapons.

Q1184, what is your frame rate?

Well on my "proving ground" on Rahmadi i get about 50 FPS, and 80 FPS when I look in the sky. With 80 FPS M240 fires off 100 rounds in about 7.5 seconds, while with 50 FPS it takes 0.5-1 second more. So yeah, there is a difference even with quite high framerates.