Sign in to follow this  
SHWiiNG

New Ubuntu build 7.10

well there are 3 more days to go until ubuntu 7.10 comes out, ive just recently been introduced to linux thanks to uni, and this new versio of ubuntu looks fantastic! it also ships with compiz fusion graphical engine. which may i add, does not need a powerhouse of a PC or Laptop to run smoothly, the sffects it provides are similar to those of OX X tiger and some that in my opinion are better.

What do you guys (if any) think of this new build..

3 days to go..

I have been using the betas for a while and it seems pretty good, too bad though that the nvidia drivers still are as buggy as ever. sad_o.gif But thats not really Ubuntus fault...

I read a lot about it, but didn't try it yet. I'm planning to set it up as soon as the final version is out.

But for what I read I will love it. They did a lot to improve the usability and configurability. And it ships with the new GNOME version, too!

inlove.gif

7.04 is my default OS on my job smile_o.gif. 7.10 will be as soon as is available smile_o.gif

it's a nice distribution for general purposes, but not so good for learning, because it's so easy using the graphical menu that you never use the console, the real power of linux.

So, if you want to learn, try other ones like debian, if you are going to use it everyday, use ubuntu smile_o.gif

So, if you want to learn, try other ones like debian, if you are going to use it everyday, use ubuntu smile_o.gif

Or some older distributions, where you had to fix everything by hand anyway crazy_o.gif

At least that's when I learned it smile_o.gif

Or some older distributions, where you had to fix everything by hand anyway crazy_o.gif

At least that's when I learned it smile_o.gif

mmmm... slackware? biggrin_o.giftounge2.gif

I've switched from Feisty to Gutsy the day after RC1 was released and I'm totally satisfied with it! biggrin_o.gif

It runs very smooth with all the Compiz effects enabled even in my 3 years old machine. Very very stable and performant.

I inlove.gif Ubuntu!

Klavan

it's a nice distribution for general purposes, but not so good for learning, because it's so easy using the graphical menu that you never use the console, the real power of linux.

It depends on how you use it, I spend a lot of the time in the Terminal messing around with various things. The graphical options are for people how couldnt care less about running linux, but you can use it as a jazzed up version of Debian if you want.

W00t[1] it's there it's there! Go grab it while you can! yay.gif

[1] I had to say that once in my life

I don't get, what that Ubuntu-fuss is all about; the times I tried Ubuntu it didn't work for me: It even didn't start the X-Server at all (the other time it crashed at login). mad_o.gif

Despite all the SuSE-flaming, I'm an openSUSE/KDE-user. nener.gif

I don't get, what that Ubuntu-fuss is all about; the times I tried Ubuntu it didn't work for me: It even didn't start the X-Server at all (the other time it crashed at login). mad_o.gif

Indeed? wow_o.gif When has that been? I found Ubuntu to be quite convenient since version 6.10, at least since the last 7.04. I guess you should try the new version once again when you get to it. smile_o.gif

Despite all the SuSE-flaming, I'm an openSUSE/KDE-user. nener.gif

Mmmmmh....Envy? biggrin_o.gif Just kidding. wink_o.gif

Klavan

Indeed? wow_o.gif When has that been? I found Ubuntu to be quite convenient since version 6.10, at least since the last 7.04. I guess you should try the new version once again when you get to it. smile_o.gif

Well, I wanted to try Ubuntu because of their nice Online-update capabilities (apt-get, synaptic). It was definitely less than 2 years ago, when I tried it the first time. The X-Server didn't start; then I tried it the second time when a new version came out. The X-server started, but KDE did not.

After I installed ATI-drivers, the X-Server didn't start. Well, then I installed openSUSE, where everything worked out of the box. After I installed ATI-drivers, I had also HW-accelerated OpenGL, which I need for University.

Also, I've seen many distributions in use at my University. The only distribution where KDE worked without problems was, surprise surprise, SUSE.

Now, I won't try Ubuntu, because it has really no benefit over SUSE for me. Especially since Ubuntu is GNOME-centric, and I really really dislike GNOME.

If you want to use KDE with Ubuntu, you should use Kubuntu. I haven't used it myself but it should work as well as Ubuntu does.

If you want to use KDE with Ubuntu, you should use Kubuntu. I haven't used it myself but it should work as well as Ubuntu does.

Well, that's exactly what I was testing; and simply spoken, Kubuntu is nothing more than the KDE-packages for Ubuntu, which is GNOME-centric (no pun intended).

im running ubuntu on Wubi (if anyone has heard of it), so far the newest release is not available for wubi yet. but in my opinion its safer, no need to physically partition your HD or anything.

the only think is, XPcan go on for ever and ever without crashing, i have a crash in ubunto every say 4 hours which is annoying, but then again its up to me to fix it.

Now, I won't try Ubuntu, because it has really no benefit over SUSE for me. Especially since Ubuntu is GNOME-centric, and I really really dislike GNOME.

Ah, I see that point.

Well, GNOME and its easy usage is what I love most about it :-)

I have faced many times a problem that the x-server didn't start on Debian Woody, Sarge & Lenny after installation despite of selecting 'nv' as graphics driver module. Only after installing the real nvidia driver, the x-server started. But this behaviour was not necessarily consistent! I've done a couple of Debian installations. Sometimes I didn't have this problem, but sometimes did, and I don't know what made the difference (hardware stayed the same between the working and non-working installations so I think it was Debian's fault). I always got it working but it would be nice if all the hassle could be avoided...

So, I would say that x-server not starting after installation is a common problem, my mind is prepared to face it whenever I install Debian pistols.gif

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely NOT acceptable to have problems like that!

If you get problems after updating the system, like for example if you do OpenGL programming and suddenly your programs just stop working, then it is probably time to re-install the graphics card driver. When some packages in the Debian distro are updated/installed, it is possible that they will overwrite stuff that your graphics card driver installer installed, or there are incompatibilites to the X library. Look for 'mesa' or 'x' packages to cause this problem. Also a kernel update will mean that the nvidia driver needs to be re-installed to suit the new kernel, otherwise the x-server won't start.

And if anyone is going to use a 'testing' or 'unstable' version of Debian as an everyday desktop system, don't do it! banghead.gif Stick to the 'stable' version! I'd say this is also true at least for the distros based on Debian. At first it might seem to be working okay and having no problems, but when you do just that 'one small update' too much then all hell *will* break loose. Stick to the stable version.

I think all this applies to Ubuntu as well.

Don't get me wrong, it is definitely NOT acceptable to have problems like that!

Buy something that has proper Linux drivers next time - Both nvidia and ati seem to suck in this area, the nvidia drivers for example are closed source so they cannot be included by default in distros (Ubuntu has the restricted driver installer though that makes installing them easy), and there are no hardware specs available so the open source 'nv' driver is based on reverse-engineered specs.

I wouldn't mind the closed source driver that much if it would actually work, but it seems to be filled with long standing bugs that dont ever get fixed. I have sent a bug report to nvidia too but haven't heard anything back.

I've had no problems regarding the closed-source nvidia driver this far. Has always worked, and regarding the little OpenGL programming I have done, I never noticed anything going wrong. It surely doesn't mean there aren't any bugs, I just haven't done enough to notice.

Weird thing has been the inconsistency when installing Debian: sometimes no problems, x-server is up and running, sometimes I must install nvidia driver and only after that I can get the x-server running. As the hardware stayed the same, this indicates to me that this inconsistency problem lies in the Debian/nv module/x-server side and that is something nvidia is not to blame for.

BUT yeah, the problem with the 'nv' module not being sufficient to get x-server running might have something to do with the fact that nvidia is unwilling to give driver sources! Obviously they consider the driver includes business secrets and so it is not a wonder that they are protective...

im running ubuntu on Wubi (if anyone has heard of it), so far the newest release is not available for wubi yet.

<s>You can't install 7.10 initially through Wubi, but you CAN install 7.04 and upgrade to 7.10 via the internet afterwards. I'm doing that as we speak with kubuntu. I've tried several versions of ubuntu previously, but this is my first time giving kubuntu a spin, or wubi for that matter . Very impressed with the lack of need for an extra partition, liking the kde look, and especially impressed with how simple it was to set up dual monitors under kde over gnome smile_o.gif.</s>

The above is generally not a good idea smile_o.gif

haha as far as i know the method that you speak of is not tried and tested.. but please do let me know how it turns out.

...yeah....about that...don't try it biggrin_o.gif.

Something about the virtual file system didn't sit too well with the update process. Guess I'll wait till the proper release.