Sign in to follow this  
[GLT] Legislator

Galaxy at War returns for ArmA

While Acacyn is going to finish the GaW mod for Operation Flashpoint in late 2007, Spacegoat of the Galaxy at War team has done some work and released pictures of his first Star Wars vehicle.

ship004ym3.jpg

ship003hh8.jpg

ship005ag4.jpg

The design is by himself. Further addons that are shown in Episode 2 and 3 will follow.

But we still need more staff sad_o.gif We need addon makers, scripter and island maker. Our team consists of 2-3 members by now confused_o.gif

I can see this having great potential I really do hope you realise your dreams.

I’m sure more people will be more than happy to help as you grow and expand. Star wars is always a popular subject.

Good luck thumbs-up.gif

Yeah I've always dreamed of a military tactic shooter for Star Wars. Battlefront 1 and 2 didn't satisfy me. Republic Commando had a nice atmosphere but was a simple ego shooter. So it's up to fans to do some work. I will push the members to release stuff as soon as they finished something this time. Too many stuff just disappeared during the work for OFP sad_o.gif

Will it actually get released. I gave up on GAW for OFP about a year ago. First Strike is out on 28th sept for BF2142. Looks like its going to be a nice Star Wars mod smile_o.gif

First Strike

What about the Copyright issues using the Star Wars Name?

Legislator, i think you know what i mean

What about the Copyright issues using the Star Wars Name?

as long as they take care not to "earn money"* with it, there shouldn't be a problem.

*Layers definition: absolutely no income. So don't try to "cover cost" e.g. by using cheap website with advertising.

*My definition: As long as it cost you lots of time and money, no one will try to take it away rofl.gif

QuietMan

We tried to contact Lucas Arts two times. No response. I think they won't blame us regarding so many Star Wars mods of so many games.

And besides ... if Lucas Arts would create a game like OFP or ArmA in Star Wars style I would buy it tounge2.gif

No way biggrin_o.gif They will be completly made new. We want to place the basic things in ArmA 1 so we can easily import then into ArmA 2 as well. Of course it would be an option if this mod is going to slow down again.

Those pics arent new so I rly not expect huge advantage so far in this mod. There is potential to make great SW FPS whit arma engine but I think it is too hard to any1 yet without massive 20-30 all time coder team to do so.

There wasa big hype for a star wars mod for BF2142 and that went well..

I'd so like to see one for arma too.

Great looking crafts.

smile_o.gif

Sweet!! Can't wait for some beautiful stormtrooper models, not like those made for BF2142. smile_o.gif

Hello again wink_o.gif Here are some news:

1. Acacyn is still working on the Galaxy at War mod for Operation Flashpoint. You can still expect the release in late 2007. If not, Acacyn will announce it.

2. Matt from the OFP Stargate mod has joined our team. He will do some great work for my upcomming video project AND the Galaxy at War for Armed Assault. smile_o.gif

3. If everything proceeds as I have forseen expect the first Star Wars addons and videos in the late first quarter of 2008. I will push the others to release finished stuff instantly wink_o.gif I'm no fan of the "addon-holding-back-until-all-is-finished"-thing at all because maybe its never finished tounge2.gif

4. The preparations for my video project go along very well. I've finished checking several thousand sound clips of Republic Commando. There are several further games and mods I will use. Some of them aren't released yet sad_o.gif Still I need a new PC to get it done tounge2.gif

Here's my plan:

- a Star Wars series divided into three parts: the clone wars, the dark times and the galactic civil war

- 2 versions: german and english

- space battles created with empire at war + addons & mods

- close shots and dialogues created with galaxy at war in operation flashpoint

- ground battles created with empire at war + addons & mods and galaxy at war in operation flashpoint

- a story around a sith holocron, a story arc that reaches 4000 years back

- using the soundtrack of star wars + other sound tracks that could fit into the scenery very well wink_o.gif

- I'm busy until late 2009 tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]1. Acacyn is still working on the Galaxy at War mod for Operation Flashpoint

IMO, this is why you dont make big massive TC's that take like 3 years to make.

A) People have moved on to a new game with a better engine during that time.

B) outdated graphics/FX which could have been ported over had it been on a smaller scale.

Smaller releases are much better.

thumbs-up.gif First of all, thats great news smile_o.gif You can't get a bigger Star Wars fan than me.

But are we actually going to see this one? From what I've seen of the OFP mod, there have been some decent working addons now for the best part of a year - with not even a beta release.

Fingers crossed you actually work as a team for ArmA.

If you are using a holocron then there must be Jedi addons - yes?

How about Darth Denz for one of the characters  whistle.gif  biggrin_o.gif

I think it will be a hard long way. It was already. Member left without a word, we had a lot data loss because one member didn't upload anything to our server and after a hdd crash everything was gone. I was really shocked about that and I don't what to happen this again.

Matt is working on Asajj Ventress, one low res for OFP (and my video project tounge2.gif) and one for ArmA so this could be the first finished addon. wink_o.gif I'll keep you informed about that and show some pictures as soon as I got something to test.

I'm a great fan of star wars too and I was very disappointed when I saw battlefront 1 and 2 sad_o.gif I always wanted to have a tactical star wars military game - operation flashpoint and armed assault can make it possible smile_o.gif AND I can create my own tv show tounge2.gif Can't wait for these two new tv series starting in 2008 and 2009.

I'd be so happy to play with some stormtroopers in ArmA like I did with flashpoint inlove.gif . As CanadianTerror wrote "Smaller releases are much better", and quicker to release. I wish I could help. I tried to modify (for my own use) droids released for flashpoint quite a long time ago, but couldn't make them stand and move (not compatible with ArmA squeletons?), sough...

I have one beg.

PLEASE! PLEASE PLEASE! Release some of that stuff as far as it is possible in a logical use.

I don't want to wait till late 2009, I know most people won't simply do that.

I was a BIG FAN of your Mod and Acyies work, but I will not play it when you release it not in time again, at time where it makes sence, because I get really depressed by playing old games and will move along again.

Galaxy at War for Arma is GREAT the Idea alone is great.

And as long as you guys won't wait for years although you have some things finished to release you have your biggest fan here.

So sorry for double post.

Can someone please tell us how the work is going, cant wait to some news.

I would love to hear.

Grüße!/Greetings!

Aww, I was getting happy, thought it was a new thread sad_o.gif

But yeah, I'd really like to see some progress with this!

yes! That would be simply the greatest.

Arma after all these updates and now Star Wars.

WOW... just WOW.

I'd be interested in making these, and it would not be hard to model troopers etc... however it is a complete legal minefield. It's for these reasons that I think many addon developers don't get involved at making addon's for such things.  If the addon is successful, you can end up with considerable legal battles.

Edit: To clarify my position... I think the best option with using licensed material to make a game modification is to make it without infringing any trademarks. For example... call it "Galaxy Wars" or "Galactic Wars" or "Space Opera" or something similar.

If there was interest and or others interested in such a project, I would get involved. But only if such a project was significantly different from LucasFilm/LucasArts projects such that it did not use "characters, story elements and/or locations from the Star Wars Universe" and infringe on the "copyright, trademark and other rights relating to Star Wars are the property".

Just FYI, Acacyn was going to release this mod last May, then June, then the first week of August. After his claim about the first week of August he has not responded to questions on his site.

Is it dead? I don't know. But don't get your hopes up for anything.