Sign in to follow this  
m4r1ne

Insurgent Idea

Tell me how you guys like! smile_o.gif

What needs to change, what is koool, what isnt?huh.gifcrazy_o.gif

Well, the armed "technical" gun truck is cool, I'd like to see more variants such as a rocket/recoilless launcher, ( arm it with RPG's for now. ) and heavier types based on the Ural.

I can't wait until we see new head models available, instead of simple re textured heads complete with ears and noses.

Some units should be representative of insurgent fighters from various conflicts. There should be various groups of insurgents that look "African", Central/South American, Asian, European/Chechen, and Islamic.

In addition, their political disposition should be variable- ie. friendly or hostile to BLUFOR and/or OPFOR, and/or Independent sides.

I think it would be great if you could collaborate with other addon makers that have already produced insurgent units.

Horrific as it may be, you might as well create units that can be used for homicide bombing missions, armed with bomb-belts. Also, AI insurgent forces should be equipped with, and able to effectively use, IED's. ( pipe bombs )

They should be throwing, and placing devices left and right- and smart enough to run the hell away before they detonate. Molotov cocktail, and rock-throwing units should also be apart of the group.

Insurgent forces should be equipped with just about every firearm in the game- supposedly stolen, smuggled, or bought on the black market. In general, these would typically be "low-tech", ( but dependable ) mixed with small numbers of higher end, modern manufacture weapons.

Well, the armed "technical" gun truck is cool, I'd like to see more variants such as a rocket/recoilless launcher, ( arm it with RPG's for now. ) and heavier types based on the Ural.

I can't wait until we see new head models available, instead of simple re textured heads complete with ears and noses.

Some units should be representative of insurgent fighters from various conflicts. There should be various groups of insurgents that look "African", Central/South American, Asian, European/Chechen, and Islamic.

In addition, their political disposition should be variable- ie. friendly or hostile to BLUFOR and/or OPFOR, and/or Independent sides.

I think it would be great if you could collaborate with other addon makers that have already produced insurgent units.

Horrific as it may be, you might as well create units that can be used for homicide bombing missions, armed with bomb-belts. Also, AI insurgent forces should be equipped with, and able to effectively use, IED's. ( pipe bombs )

They should be throwing, and placing devices left and right- and smart enough to run the hell away before they detonate. Molotov cocktail, and rock-throwing units should also be apart of the group.

Insurgent forces should be equipped with just about every firearm in the game- supposedly stolen, smuggled, or bought on the black market. In general, these would typically be "low-tech", ( but dependable ) mixed with small numbers of higher end, modern manufacture weapons.

Wow...you really went into detail with that one lol.

We are noob wannabe addon makers, not moddeling gods.

Those are in my current dreams.

Although, I am thinking about getting help from someone to convert the "Gimbal Tossers" addon over from OFP. I have been thinking about civis throwing rocks for a while now!

First off, I'm not a modder- although I have helped other teams as an "idea man", and I have done a little config editing.

So I understand that you might think that my ideas are beyond your capabilities. But, those things I proposed, seem to be within your capabilities, based on the work you've shown above. Keep an open mind, and a positive attitude, and you'll accomplish all the things you want for your mod.

Start with the first of my ideas, and try to figure out how to implement each one as best as you can, one at a time.

What you can't figure out, or understand, others can/may help you with, if you just ask. Converting addons from OFP is a great idea. If nothing else, it may give you ideas how to make your own ArmA addons from scratch.

These things will take time, and veteran players like myself know that your progress will develop at your own pace. I'll be patiently waiting, and willing to help, in anyway I can.

You keep working at it, so I can start playing with it!

thumbs-up.gif

Well....I was going to try and retex a civi today... but then of course, just like everytime i need somthing, my photshop went haywire. sad_o.gif

I would highly recommend that you guys learn how to make custom models with the released tools for ArmA. The textured kuffayah on the head is ok for a temporary fix, but really, it should be modelled in order to get the most realistic looking insurgents. Also I would recommend sticking with AK-47 and AKM rifles as the AK-74 series of weapons are only rarely found in Afghanistan and Iraq. The most common weapons used by insurgents are the PK/PKM, AK-47/AKM (with and without various types of folding stocks), RPK-47 SVD sniper rifle, Mosin Nagant sniper rifle, RPG-7V, and sometimes an occasional old RPD machine gun pops up.

So personally, I would NOT recommend going nuts with AK-74 type 5.45mm rifles if you are trying to be realistic. Yes they look pretty and are some of the best rifles to be found in ArmA, but they are not very realistic.

What is more realistic is insurgents who are bad shots with their Ak-47's, but with very capable snipers using both the SVD and bolt action sniper rifles like the Mosin Nagant.

A few use also hot-rodded Ak-47's with sniper scopes on them (although this is kinda silly as it doesn't improve accuracy very much).

Anyhoo...thats my advice. I look forward to ANY new insurgents for ArmA that look remotely Middle Eastern so this is a good first step.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Thanks for that advice Miles smile_o.gif

That is the exact reason we are going to use the RHS wepaons pack with the insurgents. Is because they have the AKM, AKMS, and all that good stuff!

The problem is, the 4 people we have making the isnuregnts is, 3 of us are unskilled noobs, and the other isnt very dedicated at all. The only thing I am really capable of atm is attempting to make good looking faces. But even at the miment my photoshop is broken, so even that I cant do well at all right now. crazy_o.gif

We just need the community to help us! sad_o.gif

Viper

The technical I am pretty sure is from QG.

Also there are already African Insurgents and the Civilians in game look eastern European. And were making the Islamic's.

Also we will be trying to get new clothing models and working withother addon makers.

Also I'm pretty sure that changing something in the config will be able to make them Blufor, Opfor, Independent.

IEDS are already in. Suicide bombs can be put into missions with scripts. And molotov's and rock throwings are just dreams to put in.

We arent going for anything else but middle eastern insurgents.

Whoever it was saying that insurgents should have every weapon on the batteground....no......AK's, RPG's, RPK's, and PKM's. Thats it. You dont see iraqi insurgents running around with a m16a4 acog...

I hope you all arent getting your expectations too high for this addon..........

a little retex to fight the insurgents  tounge2.gif

Iraqi Police

Nice!   smile_o.gif

I was thinking of trying to retex the Independent Officers to Iraqi Police.... but then..of course, when i need it, my photshop went haywire  sad_o.gif

O well, nice retex! I like it!  biggrin_o.gif  thumbs-up.gif

*EDIT*

i was thinking of editing the Sahrani Ville roleplay mission and putting Insurgents and Iraqi police into it, and change it around a bit. Put it on sakkaah and all that good stuff! wink_o.gif

First and foremost, the insurgents look great. I understand the limited capabilities that are at hand. But all and all they are looking good. I like to see the on pour of advice coming from the community. That is exactly the help these guys are needing to complete this needed addon.

As a combat veteran of the Iraq war, I do have to agree with M4r1ne on the fact that the insurgents should only be equipped with Russian/Chinese made weapons. The insurgents are mostly being equipped by Iranian weapons.

VIPER SHIVA has added some great advice that can be used in the final version of the addon. This addon should be a product of the community, since all that are creating it are "noobs" like the rest of us.

The important thing is to get a Beta release, that is where you will get the most crucial advice from the community. Look at the map of Al Jawf. If you look in the thread of it in ADDONS:Completed, there is a whole slew of remarks and advice.

Kerry I feel your main concern at the time being should be to get out a BETA release of the addon.

Once again, thanks for building this much needed addon of Middle Eastern Insurgents

Iraqi Police

Nice!   smile_o.gif

I was thinking of trying to retex the Independent Officers to Iraqi Police.... but then..of course, when i need it, my photshop went haywire  sad_o.gif

*EDIT*

i was thinking of editing the Sahrani Ville roleplay mission and putting Insurgents and Iraqi police into it, and change it around a bit. Put it on sakkaah and all that good stuff!  wink_o.gif

I have planned to retex the Field reporter to a Iraqi policeman and gone check for a model without a vest.

Im starting the retexture of the civie clothes. So far got 2 done, ill inform you all when i get em all done.

Iraqi Police

Nice!   smile_o.gif

*EDIT*

i was thinking of editing the Sahrani Ville roleplay mission and putting Insurgents and Iraqi police into it, and change it around a bit. Put it on sakkaah and all that good stuff!  wink_o.gif

I have planned to retex the Field reporter to a Iraqi policeman and gone check for a model without a vest.

That will be awesome VXR! biggrin_o.gif

IP and Insurgents wud make ArmA in my opinion! biggrin_o.gif

Hey, could I make a trailer for you guys? Another one that is. Taken from a more serious angle?

I could make it look just like the real videos biggrin_o.gif

I think multiple trailers from different viewpoints would allow for a more dynamic mod.

Here is a sample piece of work done in a few minutes. Yes I know... Insurgency Mod sounds...

I would highly recommend that you guys learn how to make custom models with the released tools for ArmA.  The textured kuffayah on the head is ok for a temporary fix, but really, it should be modelled in order to get the most realistic looking insurgents.  Also I would recommend sticking with AK-47 and AKM rifles as the AK-74 series of weapons are only rarely found in Afghanistan and Iraq.  The most common weapons used by insurgents are the PK/PKM, AK-47/AKM (with and without various types of folding stocks), RPK-47 SVD sniper rifle, Mosin Nagant sniper rifle, RPG-7V, and sometimes an occasional old RPD machine gun pops up.

So personally, I would NOT recommend going nuts with AK-74 type 5.45mm rifles if you are trying to be realistic.  Yes they look pretty and are some of the best rifles to be found in ArmA, but they are not very realistic.  

What is more realistic is insurgents who are bad shots with their Ak-47's, but with very capable snipers using both the SVD and bolt action sniper rifles like the Mosin Nagant.

A few use also hot-rodded Ak-47's with sniper scopes on them (although this is kinda silly as it doesn't improve accuracy very much).

Anyhoo...thats my advice.  I look forward to ANY new insurgents for ArmA that look remotely Middle Eastern so this is a good first step.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

They also use RPK, and G3's

G3's?huh.gif?huh.gif?    

No offense but I've never seen a G-3 used in Iraq aside from a few  Mercs using them.  That is a rare weapon in Iraq.  The only civil war I've seen in which they're used in large amounts is in Darfur, Sudan by rebel forces.  Apparently some Christian fundies saw fit to hook them up with G-3's provided by friendly neighborhood South African arms dealers.

But in Iraq?  No...   that is a very very very rare weapon in Iraq.   The most common are AK-47's, AKM's, RPK's, SVD's, PK/PKM's, an an occasional RPD and SKS (along with a few modified AK's with scopes).  That is not including the RPG-7, RPG7VR, and now occasionally the RPG-29 and a few other RPG series.   The AGS-17 30mm automatic grenade launcher also occasionaly turns up but thankfully has only rarely been used much against US troops.  (Thats a truly deadly weapon system).

Also, as m4r1ne stated earlier, a good portion of their weapons are Iranian made. A few Iranian made copies of the HK MG-3 and G-3 occasionally show up with Shi'a militias, but that is very rare.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Hmm, I doubt every insurgent could get their hands on a vest like that.

Will there be another "insurgents" - militia variant? Don't think that all arab insurgents wear kaffiyeh or headscarf.

Insurgents have different weapons like told before and M16A1/A2, chinese variant of AK's and some kind of improvised missile launcher and mortar (on vehicles/jeeps too).

Would be nice if you make those insurgents first and add new weapons (after first release with bugfix/patch....) only suggestion. wink_o.gif