Goodbye Public ArmA Servers...

Just an idea?

Create a semi-public server:

[*] Weekly or Bi-Weekly changing password

[*] Have password posted on forum that is only visible to 'verified members'

[*] Put your website in servername

Let ppl register on your forum:

[*] Give them Verified Status after they introduced themselves

[*] Remove Verified Status when they break the rules, cheat, gave away password to others etc. And change password.

[*] Possibly; Disallow registration from proxy servers by http check, port check and/or ip/host black list.

[*] Keep a list of ip-addresses and ip-ranges/subnets that abuse, and share this knowledge with other server administrators. Block them in firewall of server and/or website.

[*] Work together, Share.

With the PowerPanel we could build a system where they have to log into the website before the server pops up. Same as passworded really but with the added protection of the website filtering people.

Just an idea?

Isn't that a solution for server admins that are closing their servers atm?

Also, there are ip/host blockers out there that allow to import from distributed files. All needed is some guys taking the 'job' and managing these block lists.

[*] PeerGuardian, Windows: http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/

[*] MoBlock, Linux: http://moblock.berlios.de/

IMHO, security against hackers aswell as cheaters is a sys-admins responsibility. BIS is taking some steps against cheating, but with the extreme flexibility of the scripting engine, I can believe they cant do too much without breaking nearly all missions and addons smile_o.gif Which would defeat one of the purposes of this game.

Anyway, signature protection might help a lot against the 'simple' script cheats out there, and maybe a PunkBuster alike program might help on code injection etc etc.

Still reading ppl out there that quit the games that are even protected by PunkBuster, I dont have that much faith in the real effectiveness of these tools in terms of players not stopping playing the game etc smile_o.gif

sdf

The only thing that we will never defeat is the client side cheats. Can't stop the wall hacks or other Directx/memory cheats. Though I can deal with that. It's the mass destruction cheats that I would like to see removed.

i heard birds singing that DSTS is very usefull to pinpoint disruptive players smile_o.gif

In the current state it's not quite there but I am getting there. The best part is the tools to figure out who is doing what will not even require people to use the dsts at all. Since you decide what plugins are of use to your server you can avoid all the extra junk. smile_o.gif

Im not leting these scum bags win, I have pre-ordered QC and i will be buying ArmA 2 aswell.

We run 2 servers, 1 public and the other is for members or regulars.

Regs get access to our password in a lock thread and it seems to work well wink_o.gif

Im not leting these scum bags win, I have pre-ordered QC and i will be buying ArmA 2 aswell.

Regs get access to our password in a lock thread and it seems to work well   wink_o.gif

with ya on that one. getting QC the day it hits stores and gonna get arma2 as well as ofp2.

one of KFC's biggest arguments is "BI fucked them over" well... has codemasters? has arma2 fucked them over yet? damn fucktards.

my squad has had enough of this BS. we're about to start Range banning as well. cheaters ain't going to win.

the guys saying "cheaters ruined the game for me" kind of make me laugh and mad all at the same time.

1: way to go letting a bunch of jackass's ruin the game for you. i've played many games where there weren't any cheaters/hackers/griefers on. thats on the same lines as "that person makes me so mad"

glad that person can control how you feel (you learn a few things being in the marine corp. theres a lot of irritating stuff in the corp but you have got to be able to look past it and continue on with your life. hell... i got a purple heart because some iraqis want to engage my squad and fire mortars at us... and hit me. but that doesn't mean i hate every freakn iraqi. how does this apply to arma? just because there are members of the community trying to ruin the game doesn't mean i'm going to hate every person of the community and or let them ruin it for me)

2: try to do something about it. doesn't matter if you dont know how to script, aren't in a clan or anything...

there are things you can do.

report all cheaters/griefers/hackers to the server admins. do your part. it is a community

3: why people got to cheat on other peoples servers? i'm paying for the mother fucker. please respect my damn property!

anyways... i ranted and raved enough. rofl.gif

Regs get access to our password in a lock thread and it seems to work well   wink_o.gif

with ya on that one. getting QC the day it hits stores and gonna get arma2 as well as ofp2.

one of KFC's biggest arguments is "BI fucked them over" well... has codemasters? has arma2 fucked them over yet? damn fucktards.

my squad has had enough of this BS. we're about to start Range banning as well. cheaters ain't going to win.

the guys saying "cheaters ruined the game for me" kind of make me laugh and mad all at the same time.

1: way to go letting a bunch of jackass's ruin the game for you. i've played many games where there weren't any cheaters/hackers/griefers on. thats on the same lines as "that person makes me so mad"

glad that person can control how you feel (you learn a few things being in the marine corp. theres a lot of irritating stuff in the corp but you have got to be able to look past it and continue on with your life. hell... i got a purple heart because some iraqis want to engage my squad and fire mortars at us... and hit me. but that doesn't mean i hate every freakn iraqi. how does this apply to arma? just because there are members of the community trying to ruin the game doesn't mean i'm going to hate every person of the community and or let them ruin it for me)

2: try to do something about it. doesn't matter if you dont know how to script, aren't in a clan or anything...

report all cheaters/griefers/hackers to the server admins. do your part. it is a community

3: why people got to cheat on other peoples servers? i'm paying for the mother fucker. please respect my damn property!

anyways... i ranted and raved enough.  rofl.gif

We need server admins to communicate together..  I will talk to someone and see if we can get a forum together just for server admins and use it to exchange id's ip ranges that they have collected.

EDIT: After talking to a member we are setting up some forums for Squadserver.com customers so they will be able to exchange ip ranges.

After some thought the ip ranges can be distrubuted out to the public but we dont really want ip ranges from a unknown source.

Regs get access to our password in a lock thread and it seems to work well wink_o.gif

anyways... i ranted and raved enough. rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]2: try to do something about it. doesn't matter if you dont know how to script, aren't in a clan or anything...

I don't know what servers you are playing on but it irritates me to no end when people say hacking isn't happening enough to ruin the game. Maybe you are playing on euro servers that I have their pings filtered out, but I tried to play every night this weekend and every game I was in got hacked. I'm not talking about passworded servers, go play in a pub server tonight that has at least 10 people and I guarantee you it will get hacked at some point.

About the reporting, I'd love to do that but I don't know if you have dealt with the new crap they are using. There is no way for a player to figure out who the problem child is, and on top of that, they will impersonate to get someone else banned. The only thing I have found somewhat consistent is that usually a greifer will drive around in a car aimlessly at the base a honk like an idiot for a few minutes before launching the script. Why they do this, I have no idea, but you can usually bet on the server being hacked if you see someone doing pointless stuff in the spawn area. Anyway good to see someone working on a solution before BIS, because they said it would be a couple months for 1.09.

ive setup a forum for server admins on the Roughnecks site

but after thinking about it this is better on Squad Server Forums..

idea:

Squad Servers

Server Admins with beable to communicate to reduce the amount of hacking/cheats Skum

as well as having another forums for regular public server Admins along side Squad Server Server Admins

hopfully valid info on these cheaters could be revealed and passed on down the chain

1.09 hopfully will help a great deal but that will only last so long we are own best protection at the the end of the day....server logs and and watching players actions during a game will catch more for perma bans biggrin_o.gif

ive setup a forum for server admins on the Roughnecks site

but after thinking about it this is better on Squad Server Forums..

idea:

Squad Servers

Server Admins with beable to communicate to reduce the amount of hacking/cheats Skum

as well as having another forums for regular public server Admins along side Squad Server Server Admins

hopfully valid info on these cheaters could be revealed and passed on down the chain

1.09 hopfully will help a great deal but that will only last so long we are own best protection at the the end of the day....server logs and and watching players actions during a game will catch more for perma bans  biggrin_o.gif

i can tell you my squad will be joining this and will be giving out our banned list to anyone that ask's for it

that is if you can get the ACS up and running whistle.gif

need IPS with user names and ID's or Downloadable Server LOGS currently RoughNecks are getting many servers logs from many servers so as far as tracking players from server too server will help a great deal for ridding the the world of the taste of KFC pistols.gif

BIS has asked too much of me.

First, they want me to get a non DX10 card in order to PLAY the game (have 8800GTX).

Second, they want me to uninstall Vista.

Third, they want me to put up with the hundreds of children running amuk with hacks.

Forth, If theres a problem with quad cores running this game, they haven't addressed a fix.

Fifth, If there's a problem with running 4GB+ of ram in this game, they haven't addressed a fix for this ether.

I'm not playing ArmA until all of these issues are addressed and confirmed to be fixed. I'm not buying their expansion to fund their new game engine when they cannot even sell a working one. Now I've been arguably one of the largest defenders of BIS in other forums, but when they don't even acknowledge that there's a problem that they intend on fixing relating to these issues... is when my loyalty is out of the window.

Perhaps a community public address from an official stating their take on these issues and what if anything they plan on doing about it. (Doubt it).

edit note: I've spent 5 hours searching for fixes/drivers/etc. There's no solution.

dude every first gen hardware will have problems, I doubt that BIS even knew about quad cores or 8000 series when they made the game, so dont expect too much support out of arma. maybe something like bioshock or graw2 will run fine with ur setup, because they were developed with the first gen hardware in mind.

BTW. still not a single game around that i know of that even supports dual core whistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gifwhistle.gif

sorry for OFF TOPIC.

Quote[/b] ]with ya on that one. getting QC the day it hits stores and gonna get arma2 as well as ofp2.

WOW it's like saying that mercedes fucked u over, so i came and

fucked ur car up yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif

I bet they allso tought very hard about all the other great exuses the came up with, to try justify being a hated fuck head,

i bet they're mommy didnt gave 'em enough attention as a child so they come pubbing in arma trying to get some LOL.

///////////END RANT piffffffffffffffffffff

Victor:

1- Nvidias problem moreso than BI's, from pre-release faulty components to post-release drivers.  Look for the history of the 8X series, you'll be amazed.

2- MicroShafts problem, look at the feedback from major corporations (those that have foolishly ventured into Vista, that is) Verdict: Vista SUCKS in most intensive applications from design software to games. GM and Delphi are pulling Vista in phases, Dow Chemical is trying to phase it in, great resistance there.

3- That's life, how is ArmA any different or special in this regard?

4-5... WTF?  dreaming up reasons, you don't even know if they exist, for bad feelings toward BIS?!?  You have seriously GOT to be shitting me.  This is trolling.

Quote[/b] ]3- That's life, how is ArmA any different or special in this regard?

No way, never have I seen a game where hackers/greifers run around so freely like this with absolutely no punishment. I mean yeah I've seen some hacks in some of the BF series, half life etc, which were quickly shut down with punk buster and game updates. Have you ever been freaking locked into a spawn by a sandbag castle in any other game? They can do anything imaginable to grief you thats within the limitations of the games engine. Think about it, how long have these guys been screwing up ArmA online, and nobody has been able to do a damn thing to even slow them down. Yeah they are trying, not sure how much BIS is, but the fact is they just haven't taken any blows at all.

edit: I felt I had to add that I'm not a BIS hater, I don't think they are trying to F anyone over or leave us in the dark. I honestly think they are a just naive about online gaming, and expected that the ArmA players would behave themselves like they did in OFP for the most part. Now ArmA is mostly a MP game and has attracted alot of idiots that BIS didn't anticipate. So now its up to BIS to recover and protect the game ASAP, and not in a half assed way. We will see with 1.09 I guess.

Victor:

1- Nvidias problem moreso than BI's, from pre-release faulty components to post-release drivers. Look for the history of the 8X series, you'll be amazed.

2- MicroShafts problem, look at the feedback from major corporations (those that have foolishly ventured into Vista, that is) Verdict: Vista SUCKS in most intensive applications from design software to games. GM and Delphi are pulling Vista in phases, Dow Chemical is trying to phase it in, great resistance there.

4-5... WTF? dreaming up reasons, you don't even know if they exist, for bad feelings toward BIS?!? You have seriously GOT to be shitting me. This is trolling.

I guess you didn't read the "if" statement in there. I just think you wanted to ignore that so you could make that point.

Still, BI could look into what makes nvidia's latest software tick, and try working from there.

There's been Vista patches for other games... As well as "video rendering fixes to keep up with latest video card devices". I don't care about the new vehicles, new planes, islands, etc... more stuff equals more bugs. I say BIS: Please start fixing stuff before moving on to creating more bug riddled software. I cannot even play this game right now and I think all of these exceptions that don't allow me to play should be marked on the BOX because I've wasted my money.

Victor:

1- Nvidias problem moreso than BI's, from pre-release faulty components to post-release drivers. Look for the history of the 8X series, you'll be amazed.

4-5... WTF? dreaming up reasons, you don't even know if they exist, for bad feelings toward BIS?!? You have seriously GOT to be shitting me. This is trolling.

I guess you didn't read the "if" statement in there. I just think you wanted to ignore that so you could make that point.

Still, BI could look into what makes nvidia's latest software tick, and try working from there.

There's been Vista patches for other games... As well as "video rendering fixes to keep up with latest video card devices". I don't care about the new vehicles, new planes, islands, etc... more stuff equals more bugs. I say BIS: Please start fixing stuff before moving on to creating more bug riddled software. I cannot even play this game right now and I think all of these exceptions that don't allow me to play should be marked on the BOX because I've wasted my money.

you bore me.. go away or quit crapping on threads. I have friends who use quads and 8800's and play all the time with out complaint. Granted they have to do alot of lil tweaking ect to get there, but they got there. As for hacking, this game is no more hacked than GRAW was/is and or the whole BF/2. If you want to stop the hacks find the address of the KFC/ect guys and we will take it from there. Really the whole TvT/PvP gets it started, but Evo being the big Arma mod it has brought the kidds to COOP. Always have had to be on a private server to try and avoid the loosers always will.

We can only hope Bis is on the ball, and we will get some sort of relief.