Sign in to follow this  
BLSmith2112

BI 2.0. New website. New forum?

Hey yall!

As BI finishes up on their nice looking web 2.0 page. That left me wondering, will the forum software be something looked at?

That would be quite nice in my opinion. Personally I'd like to have ability to rename thread names and subtitles, different skins, ability to upload small files in your post, and support firefox by means of highlighting text and selecting a code button. Currently on all firefox machines I've used BI forums, the '[]' appears at the end of the post and have to be copied/pasted elsewhere.

It would also be nice to have the editing categories inside of the game's directory. As current, the editing sections are outside of the game's directory and take a lot more time to navigate to.

But these suggestions are just me, and I understand there's a reason for everything. It'd just be a nice change... after all of these years.

first of all what you rabbiting on about firefox for? it works fine on this site, i use it every day and it works great.

secondly start listening to jerry hopper!! placebo mentioned creating a new forum on that.

watch this space.

1. Firefox "works" on my three computers. However the bold, Italics, Underline, however, do not work for me or my 3 pc's. If I were to select "three" from this post, and click "bold" (to make "three" bold), the '' would appear at the end of the post and it would have to be moved to where I'd like it placed manually.

2. Placebo said he'd "like" to see one. He never said there would be one. And he may be the PR manager, but he wouldn't have the final and only say as to which direction this forum is headed in.

New forum means everyone has to reregister, and we won't be able to convert posts.

Unless someone has dedicated their time to create a way to backup users and posts and convert them for another forum software from Ikonboard.. well I doubt it since ikonboard isn't used by many people.

web 2? *grin* its only Joomla.....

I think it looks pretty good actually, nice job.

Looks good yes smile_o.gif

Some tweak here and there, but nice clean, simple and good coloring!

@Victor:

Please listen to the interview with Placebo again - it is all said there!

@JasonO, there are a zillion convert/import scripts out there.

Im not sure about Ikonboard but I've seen many.

If anyone listened to Placebos second interview with jerry hopper, he did mention that this forum will be archived and a new custom built BIS forum will follow in its place, with members having to re register, all starting from scratch, with post counts disabled!

yay.gif

I think it would be cool if these kinds of news etc would also be readable somewhere. I admire Jerry Hopper and his Radio/Interviews very much, but I dont like the fact that I "Must" listen to that show to get all the details, im not a radio guy, never been, never will be smile_o.gif

OT: I dont think it's a bad idea to have a clean start.

Victor im thinking that thats a setting problem with your firefox. i see everything like Bold, Italic,underlineperectly fine.

from what i interpreted from placebos interview it will take some time to get the new forums running as i think he said the softwear would be built in house.

OT would be a good idea to see a manuscript of the interviews jerry:D

New forum means everyone has to reregister, and we won't be able to convert posts.

Who cares?

Sure there is SOME usefull info here, but its mostly outdated and outmoded. The rest of the forum is pretty worthless, and its not like having your old posts will matter, because they said that any new forum wouldnt have postcounts enabled.

In this universe everything is possible. Things happend and a entrophy increase thats it. Human has created himself a system that can serving him and it is changing all the time. Anyway to me at least I wont go away.

May i take this opportunity to wish for a new and MUCH BETTER search system? smile_o.gif

Plus, why would you want to convert post counts over? Do they really matter that much? :S

Hopefully the BIS forums will be great as it will be custom built =D "Thats naiiiice" as Borat would inform us. :P

I suppose it wouldn't matter to archive this forum, like Deadmeat mentioned it is outdated.

thumbs-up.gif for getting rid of post count. Post count only creates bad behaviour, as has been witnessed many many times. I have yet to see any good behaviour resulting from post counts being visible to forum users. Actually the (visible) post count could have been disabled already a long time ago, but it's good if they do it now with new forum software.

Heheheh, well signatures can be left out too, I mean why code it into the new forum software when you can just forget about it?

Alright lets not start a war over signatures tounge2.gif just make it possible to disable them from user control panel, if you decide to include signatures in the new forum software, and I'll be happy.

I welcome the new website and new forum. It's about time BIS does something about it.

somethings in the forums is worth saving like good pics, addon links that aren't on websites tounge2.gif yeah the search system sucks but sometimes you say hey where did that addon go to? And start browsing the whole ofp addons & mods section manually.... rofl.gifbiggrin_o.gif anyways I dont care for post count, I hope they make the forums more stable and secure and easier to search in like others said. thumbs-up.gif

Yea I redownloaded the interview.

w00t, 10 points to Placebo.

Main question answered. Thx!

I hope they keep this forum as an archive...

They`ll do, or at least have planned that. wink_o.gif

There are too much infos in this database, to loose it completely.

Yea... Missions, readmes, add-ons... It'd be a stab in the back not to keep it as an achieve.

FTP links could also be in the forum, and whatever reason if the addon creator has no way of accessing it again, he'll have to reupload it... and hell'ell break loose for many individuals.

It looks like the new forum software is going to be vBulletin Lite smile_o.gif

It looks like the new forum software is going to be vBulletin Lite smile_o.gif

It does?

That's strange, we haven't even finalised a list of features we want the new forums to have and already we chose the forum software, without me even deciding which software we'll use, bizarre wink_o.gif

hehe i was gonna say didnt you mention that it would be a bespoke forum made by BIS anyway?