Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

DMSmokeEffects Beta 4

You just need to take out the part that initialises the wind info script, but leave in the viewblock initialisation script:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class Man

{

DM_Init_Man="(_this select 0) addEventHandler [""fired"", {[_this select 0, _this select 4] execVM ""\DMSmokeEffects\Scripts\ViewBlockSmokeShell.sqf""}];";

};

I think smile_o.gif if I got it snipped just right.

ah sorry my fault^^   whistle.gif        Forget ";"   sorry  big thanks   and sry goodnight.gifbiggrin_o.gif

Thank u DMarkwick !!

this addon is very nice,

I ask u if u can tell me how to modify the smoke effect duration because some time the smoke rest a lot of time on and whe lot of smoke is in the area the game goes slow.

I want to slightly reduce time duration, how I can?

thank you

Rubber

This mod + Matts effects= amazement. I find myself to stop shooting, just looking at the smoke tounge2.gif

I think personally the hit on performance at long term smoke effects is well worth it for the realism and the visuals

Thank u DMarkwick !!

this addon is very nice,

I ask u if u can tell me how to modify the smoke effect duration because some time the smoke rest a lot of time on and whe lot of smoke is in the area the game goes slow.

thank you

Rubber

There isn't too much you can do right now, other than hacking the Tank.sqf and the Heli.sqf to make the durations shorter, however as part of the shift toward MP friendliness the new version (which only I have right now) makes smoke decisions more "centrally" and should be easier to change by the user.

DMarkwick: when are you expecting the new release for us ?

I really like this mod and I am still using it, keep up the good work.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

DMarkwick: when are you expecting the new release for us ?

I really like this mod and I am still using it, keep up the good work.

Thanks. smile_o.gif

Well, first, thanks for the interest smile_o.gif

I'll make a new release when I feel there's enough new or improved content to warrant one. I got some other stuff going on too so it's slow going, and I don't like the idea of pushing out a release when there's only minor differences.

Thank u DMarkwick !!

this addon is very nice,

thank you

Rubber

There isn't too much you can do right now, other than hacking the Tank.sqf and the Heli.sqf to make the durations shorter, however as part of the shift toward MP friendliness the new version (which only I have right now) makes smoke decisions more "centrally" and should be easier to change by the user.

Ok I will wait for some news in the script

thank you for the answer smile_o.gif

and of course for the nice addon

Hi, I really like this addon, but I'm making a mission where I want 1 vehicle to have this particular smoke. As I'm writing the mission for a non addon game, I'd like to rip the pertinent parts of your code and package it as a script.

However, is this even possible with the p3d files?

Basically, i want the crashed UH60 to burn using your long burning and effective smoke.

Just ripping the code won't do it, you need the textures too, so you would need at least some sort of addon.

So, does this not work in MP?? If used in MP, what are the actual affects? I'm talking more about the viewblocking vs the smoke effects. I'm guessing that in MP, if I was the only one running DM Smoke, then I'd see the DM Smoke.

But I would like to know what happens in MP with respect to viewblocking. And I guess in 3 scenario's:

1. Only I am running DM Smoke.

2. DM Smoke is installed on 2 clients but no the server machine.

3. DM Smoke is installed on all clients and the server.

Basically DMSmokeEffects has config effects and custom scripted effects. Everyone who has the addon will see the config effects.

Only vehicles killed local to your machine will get scripted effects however. This usually means any vehicle you, or your teammates are driving. No-one else will see the scripted effects. If a vehicle is killed local to another player's PC, they will see the scripted effects but you will not.

As for your examples:

1. Only you will see config effects, and only you will see scripted effects on vehicles killed local to your PC.

2. Both clients will see config effects, but each player will only see scripted effects on vehicles killed local to their PCs.

3. Same as 2, but includes server and all clients.

However, watch this space as I am getting very close to having a fully MP compatible DMSMokeEffects addon, with config options.

No you're not, I don't see any screen shots. So you're fibbing to me =p

Any updates, any news?

Edit:

wow_o.gif a fully MP version with config options?? smile_o.gif

What's the exact release date??? Huh, huh?!?! What is it?yay.gif

Edit(Again):

rofl.gif Sorry about that, I've always wondered how it would feel to be the one. biggrin_o.gif

And now, back to my point....

It's good to know your still at it DM. Your work is definitely one of the reasons I keep on playing this game. I look forward to whatever comes next. And after that of course. wink_o.gif

Just another happy DMSmoke user here saying thank you for a truly awesome addon. notworthy.gif This is one of those adds that i cant play without, and im looking forward to what you got in store for us in the next version.

Keep up the great work and take your time to get it right.

Oh and please hurry. wink_o.gif

Regards

Alex

LOL, well I'm still occasionally fiddling with it smile_o.gif

I recently passed out a MP version of the DMSmokeEffects for some initial testing (don't get much chance to do it myself) but I haven't heard anything back yet. The only problem with an MP version is that all users will be required to have it, which makes it less of a casual addon for people who just like it. Not sure if that will be an improvement, although obviously MP smoke is better than the SP smoke it is now. I suspect it will be of interest to total mod makers at the least.

The new version also has the ability for a user to script DMSmokeEffects right where he wants them, you just need an identifiable object.

Just thaught id let you know about a thing in 1.11 beta and your smoke.

When i was on 1.09 your smoke didnt lag me much at all. Even with a lot of smoke all around. In 1.11 beta it seems to lag extremelly much when your smoke is smokin. I dont know why this is, maybe because some graphics is changed in some way due to better performance in some other parts (i dont know anything about coding). Funny thing is i can now play with 6000 view distance at high/very high with minimal lag, but when your smoke comes, it gets heavy, really heavy. Even if i go down in VD.

Maybe its my system specs only this happens on. Just thaught it was a bit surprising when the rest is so much better performance wise. Maybe something to look into. I really cant be without your smoke inlove.gif but maybe have to rethink that until i get a monster monster computer purchased. As i understand your next release will be even more eye candy and will probably be even heavier. Maybe do a lighter version if its not too much work and if this is real for the rest of the community with 1.11?

Thanks for a great addon never the less.

Regards

Alex

72 @ Mar. 20 2008,22:50)]Just thaught id let you know about a thing in 1.11 beta and your smoke.

When i was on 1.09 your smoke didnt lag me much at all. Even with a lot of smoke all around. In 1.11 beta it seems to lag extremelly much when your smoke is smokin. I dont know why this is, maybe because some graphics is changed in some way due to better performance in some other parts (i dont know anything about coding). Funny thing is i can now play with 6000 view distance at high/very high with minimal lag, but when your smoke comes, it gets heavy, really heavy. Even if i go down in VD.

Maybe its my system specs only this happens on. Just thaught it was a bit surprising when the rest is so much better performance wise. Maybe something to look into. I really cant be without your smoke inlove.gif but maybe have to rethink that until i get a monster monster computer purchased. As i understand your next release will be even more eye candy and will probably be even heavier. Maybe do a lighter version if its not too much work and if this is real for the rest of the community with 1.11?

Thanks for a great addon never the less.

Regards

Alex

Hmm thanks for the heads-up there Alex. Couple of questions if I can:

You using DMSmokeEffects 4.3a or 4.3b?

What vid card you using?

Are you using up-to-date drivers?

Does the lag appear as soon as the first smoke appears, or is it dependant on a lot of smoke?

Cheers smile_o.gif

Hi there,

I have to rethink what i just wrote to you. I tried to be helpful but i might be wrong about this.

With 1.08, 1.09 i never had to restart arma after making some graphic settings like post processing on/off etc. It seems the huge performance hit came from me changing resolution and post processing effects and then keep playing. When i did changes and exit/restart arma it all looks fine. Ive tested this a couple of times as i dont wanna give anyone more work than nessesary confused_o.gif

Everytime i make changes and keep playing = huge impact on performance. If i exit/restart its all very fine.

So sorry if i made your evening suck biggrin_o.gif i guess youll notice if there is anything weird going on when you test/work on your awesome effect.

A reminder to everyone that might feel it chops/lags more than it should after settings change - restart! wink_o.gif (maybe i achieved something good at least with these final words).

Regards

Alex

LOL, well I'm still occasionally fiddling with it smile_o.gif

I recently passed out a MP version of the DMSmokeEffects for some initial testing (don't get much chance to do it myself) but I haven't heard anything back yet. The only problem with an MP version is that all users will be required to have it, which makes it less of a casual addon for people who just like it. Not sure if that will be an improvement, although obviously MP smoke is better than the SP smoke it is now. I suspect it will be of interest to total mod makers at the least.

The new version also has the ability for a user to script DMSmokeEffects right where he wants them, you just need an identifiable object.

I will gladly test an MP server version.

Quick question as I looked throught the 20+ pages of posts and didn't really find any hard reference to this.

How can I get your SmokeEffects to work with MadMatt's ArmAEffects? Is there anything extra that will make them work 100% with each other. I think I found a reference to my answer on page 4, but I am not understanding what it would take. It mentions about Extended EventHandlers. Can you explain or help lead me into the right direction.

Also you have a download link in the main post of this thread and then two different download links in your signature. Which on is the latest SmokeEffects?

Thanks.

Quick question as I looked throught the 20+ pages of posts and didn't really find any hard reference to this.

How can I get your SmokeEffects to work with MadMatt's ArmAEffects? Is there anything extra that will make them work 100% with each other. I think I found a reference to my answer on page 4, but I am not understanding what it would take. It mentions about Extended EventHandlers. Can you explain or help lead me into the right direction.

Also you have a download link in the main post of this thread and then two different download links in your signature. Which on is the latest Smoke Effects?

Thanks.

Its all about priority of mod in your shortcut list, I have matt effects "after" smoke effects and all seems ok, you can then of course swap them.

Basically whatever is "after" is the highest priority, so try smoke after matt effects.

Extended event handlers is one PBO that you place in higher priority than all other mods in your shortcut (just use one instance stuck at the very end of your mod list / the last mod in your list for this), as they refer to it for more events etc.

AS regards latest version ... they are both the same as they are "4.3" but ... "a" is viewblock for smoke grenades - IE its just blocking AI view for smoke grenades. "b" is exactly the same but the AI viewblock is for everything producing smoke. Essentially they are one of the same and are only different in the viewblock option (some prefer AI view through smoke less than others). Personally I have viewblock for everything so I have 4.3b.