Sign in to follow this  
xela89

Realistic Tank Firing System

So applying it to any mounted heavy machine gun would work as well?ie a havocs turrent gun?

Well,im sorta bouncing between this and NonWonderDogs thread and wonder if maybe you guys should be talkin and working together???Seems your doing the same thing ...kinda....sorta....ya know??heheh

I mean whats gonna happen if we try to run these range finding modes together??...one for tanks,one for scopes and one for binocs???Will they conflict or will someone combine them so they don't???

just for a WILD example...I'm on a map commanding a tank,I have binocs and a sniper scope for a weapon with me..heheh...I jump out to scout a hill and see alot of infantry on the other side and decide to call in artillery...hahahha.sounds to me like the script functions in Arma is going to go NUTS!!hahahha

Now, considering the fact that there is a working GTLD II Rangefinder out there, would it be possible to somehow merge it with your system and add a tank damage model similiar to the one found in Liberation mod for OFP ? Would you care to develop it that way ? I guess it wouldn't turn ArmA into Steel Beasts, but imo would be far better than M1 Tank Platoon 2. And that would really be something, considering the fact that the base ArmA tank battle model is very arcade'ish.

NWD system will not work correctly cause of using lasertarget method. Example in MP:

You are a squad and patrol your base. And suddenly, you see a white point caused by lasertarget created on the floor, near your tank. OMG, someone is using lasertarget against us, or OMG, someone is using telemetry against us tounge2.gif

With our telemtry, no information can be seen from enemy, you can easily watch and telem an enemy position and staying stealth.

But i am agree to work together if he wants wink_o.gif

Actual bis ammo shell ballistic is just really bad, so ^^ http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1141287

When I was doing my "rangecard" (I took flightime and gun elevation) with m1a1 I noticed that, out of gun speed was 1638m/s (sabot) and at 1000m it was only around 1000m/s, it should be closer to 1230m/s (~75% of the speed at 1km), and gun elevation for 1km is 2.3 mil but should be closer to 1-1.5 mil, it's not really a problem for 1km but for after, as the shell drop more for long range (due to the too big flightime), the lased distance and range card must be very accurate to hit something. And if the target does not have the same altitude, it's getting more and more difficult, that's why I'm trying to understand how the altitude affects the shell ballistic but my maths does not seem to be enough for the moment :/

The laser is only visible if you have "Rifle Bullet Tracers" turned on in the difficulty options. If you have them turned off, the laser is invisible. My rangefinder only pulses the laser for one frame, anyway, so it would be hard to notice even if it is visible.

I was planning on adding the rangefinder to tanks and coding a FCS sometime in the future. It seems that you've already done the math for the FCS. biggrin_o.gif

I should be able to make a range readout and floating reticle for the Abrams tank fairly easily, and I already made the font for the range display. It's included in my rangefinder mod already as green_x.paa. I just need to make graphics for the GPS reticle, GAS reticles, and a couple extra display indicators. The reticles included in ArmA aren't very accurate.

Adding an actual laser rangefinder to the tanks might be more difficult that I expected, though. I've found that the laser will only fire when it's the selected weapon, when it's carried by a soldier. I hoped it would be more like rifles, which will quite happily fire from a soldier's back if you tell them to. I'm still hoping that this will be different for tanks, but I might just have to go the super-fast bullet route.

Actual bis ammo shell ballistic is just really bad, so ^^ http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....1141287

When I was doing my "rangecard" (I took flightime and gun elevation) with m1a1 I noticed that, out of gun speed was 1638m/s (sabot) and at 1000m it was only around 1000m/s, it should be closer to 1230m/s (~75% of the speed at 1km), and gun elevation for 1km is 2.3 mil but should be closer to 1-1.5 mil, it's not really a problem for 1km but for after, as the shell drop more for long range (due to the too big flightime), the lased distance and range card must be very accurate to hit something. And if the target does not have the same altitude, it's getting more and more difficult, that's why I'm trying to understand how the altitude affects the shell ballistic but my maths does not seem to be enough for the moment :/

Elevation is tricky, but here's a patent describing a real method used to convert "true range" to "ballistic range." It's very dense reading, but it might help.

I agree that ArmA's tank ballistics are bad, but they're worse than you think. What you're describing is a training round, specially designed to have a short range. A modern APFSDS round should lose only 60 m/s/km at the muzzle, and have a maximum range of well over 100 km. If it's losing 60% of its speed after only 1000m, it's very, very wrong.

Gun elevation for a 1km shot should be very close to 2.1 mils for M829A1, though, according to my data. That assumes the gun is boresighted to zero range, of course, and I think, if I'm reading the config right, that ArmA's tank guns are sighted to 400m. If it was sighted to 1200 m like it's supposed to be (and this can be changed in the config), elevation for 1km should be -0.4 mils. I don't have accurate data on M829A2 or (heaven forbid) M829A3, but M829A2 should be 100 m/s faster at the muzzle.

Quote[/b] ]I'm still hoping that this will be different for tanks, but I might just have to go the super-fast bullet route.

I think it's the best working solution. We have added that on binocular weapon, on static bonicular weapon, on tank... Works fine for the moment, and very very simple to use smile_o.gif

I should be able to make a range readout and floating reticle for the Abrams tank fairly easily, and I already made the font for the range display. It's included in my rangefinder mod already as green_x.paa. I just need to make graphics for the GPS reticle, GAS reticles, and a couple extra display indicators. The reticles included in ArmA aren't very accurate.

Adding an actual laser rangefinder to the tanks might be more difficult that I expected, though. I've found that the laser will only fire when it's the selected weapon, when it's carried by a soldier. I hoped it would be more like rifles, which will quite happily fire from a soldier's back if you tell them to. I'm still hoping that this will be different for tanks, but I might just have to go the super-fast bullet route.

Never thought I hear this inlove.gif

Is it possible that you could make the magnification on the GPS two staged incremental with correct reticle scale for each? inlove.gif

Elevation is tricky, but here's a patent describing a real method used to convert "true range" to "ballistic range." It's very dense reading, but it might help.

I agree that ArmA's tank ballistics are bad, but they're worse than you think. What you're describing is a training round, specially designed to have a short range. A modern APFSDS round should lose only 60 m/s/km at the muzzle, and have a maximum range of well over 100 km. If it's losing 60% of its speed after only 1000m, it's very, very wrong.

Gun elevation for a 1km shot should be very close to 2.1 mils for M829A1, though, according to my data. That assumes the gun is boresighted to zero range, of course, and I think, if I'm reading the config right, that ArmA's tank guns are sighted to 400m. If it was sighted to 1200 m like it's supposed to be (and this can be changed in the config), elevation for 1km should be -0.4 mils. I don't have accurate data on M829A2 or (heaven forbid) M829A3, but M829A2 should be 100 m/s faster at the muzzle.

Well, it's a crewman who said me that, he was probably talking about his trainning shells (he's on leo 1a5)

With that kind of speed, the elevation at 2km should be less than I found (7.7mil + bis default elevation with 1.9sec flight time), it might help for my altitude problem smile_o.gif

Yes, ladies and gents, we have yet another Mod Miracle afoot. Please combine your knowledge and talent. You all are on the cutting edge of ArmA technology, and can put it over the top. notworthy.gif

Now tie this in with the armor deflection that (I believe) MechaStalin found, and we are in it deep! yay.gif

Excellent work, this is really needed for tankwarfare.

it even makes me feel like playing with SB Pro smile_o.gif

Monk.

Status of this mod is that it will be released when ready, and functionnal for player. Vidz, and screens come when there is something to show, not earlier tounge2.gif

We have a lot of WIP stuff, and we can achieve all at the same time. But be sure you will heard of us in time.

PS: if an admin can finally rename this topic by removing trajectory, we would be grateful... thx

hello.. just wondering if this system will be "open source" so I can add them to my swedish tanks once it is released...

same goes for mortar aswell..

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful to see this! Any stuff to help us fight tank battles with stuff more advanced than the first World War makes me a happy puppy!