Sign in to follow this  
{9thInf}Winchester Delta1

ARMA 2 Aircraft wishes

I agree that air to air combat is not something that needs much attention. You could also request for better naval units, like destroyers with guns and missiles, coastal anti-ship missile batteries, carriers, submarines etc. but OFP/ArmA is really an infantry game with lots of ground vehicles and some naval and air capabilities. Air-to-ground combat needs to be modelled better, and I wouldn't mind a better modelling of ground-to-air either, as currently AAMG's are the biggest threat instead of SAM's which just feels weird. Also that pilots have to worry about BMP-2 ATGM's... crazy_o.gif

But tanks and other ground vehicles are definately more needy of attention. Right now MBT's don't feel like MBT's. You'd need FLIR, targetting computers etc, not just a silly crosshair. And I don't find the overall concept of infantry combat in the game credible at all. Infantry cannot dig in, but in exchange there's no mortar and artillery support. It's just not right. Artillery is responsible for most of casualties in a real war. Aircraft modelling is peanuts in comparison.

Contrary to almost everything posted above my wish for aircraft are: scrap the fixed wing aircraft completely and focus on rotary wing aircraft instead.

40km*40km is way too small for jets, and with only 15km view distance you can't really engage anything visually unless you fly a slow-poke like the A-10 or Su-25. Then it isn't impossible. It's just awfully bad.

Focus on giving us choppers with an okay flight model (what is in ArmA isn't even remotely okay), toss in FLIR, some different firing modes with guided missiles, more proper targeting system and a damage model that can damage/disable select systems (like knocking out the FCC or the tail rotor).

Then give Shilkas and Tunguskas real engagement ranges, and the same with MANPADs, and give the systems with active radar (like the Shilka) the oprion to turn the radar on/off so that you can spoof the RWR on your target.

Also, give us rappelling from helicopters, the ability to shoot out from them (either through weapon slits like in several Russian things, or free-handed like sitting in the door-hole), and mass-disembarking (Russian style with quick, hard touchdowns and take-off on the bounce á la Mi-7 Hip)

ARMA was suppose to support 30km view distance.

I bet ARMA2 supports more.. so why not? wink_o.gif

edit: Ah, there will be bigger islands anyway..

Well, but now ArmA is sort'a limited to 10km, and they've said, as far as I know, that ArmA2 will be capped at 15km.

Well, but now ArmA is sort'a limited to 10km, and they've said, as far as I know, that ArmA2 will be capped at 15km.

With SetViewDistance XXXXX it seems ArmA engine can render up ca. 15 000 meter view range, I'm not sure how much exactly because there's no way to measure it accurately.

I really wish they portray the distance simulation to real one.

Per example: 15km in game don't match or look much to the real 15km of the real world. I bet its hard to portray and simulate a real distance.. but in ARMA and in the pics i have seen from ARMA2 the distance don't look much convincing.

What I find amusing is that people want BIS to have aircraft as "realistic" as a game like Flight Simulator or something... BIS are doing the hard job because they're not focusing on just "infantry" like CoD1 or whatever.

People want everything to be perfectionist - they want the aircraft to be perfect, the vehicles to be perfect, and everything. If BIS did that, it'd take them an extremely long time - and I know you don't like those late release dates.

Just be thankful you can drive a vehicle or fly a plane or drive a tank in OFP - regardless of how unrealistic it is.

Chris

What I find amusing is that people want BIS to have aircraft as "realistic" as a game like Flight Simulator or something... BIS are doing the hard job because they're not focusing on just "infantry" like CoD1 or whatever.

People want everything to be perfectionist - they want the aircraft to be perfect, the vehicles to be perfect, and everything. If BIS did that, it'd take them an extremely long time - and I know you don't like those late release dates.

Just be thankful you can drive a vehicle or fly a plane or drive a tank in OFP - regardless of how unrealistic it is.

Chris

Uhm... No?

Take a rally game for example...

Let's say that they for Colin McRae, which has both two wheel driven and four wheel driven cars, thought that "Oh, noes! We don't have time to finish the driving model for both kinds of cars!", and they just made the 4WD ones good.

Then you'd have a rally simulator with both 4WD and 2WD cars, of which one can't see any reason at all they did not skip releasing the 2WD cars for.

That's how I feel about fixed wing aircraft at the moment, and a bit about attack helicopters since you can't use the yaw on them unless you are near a standstill.

If they don't do things near properly, why have it in at all when the resources could have been used to make other things even better?

I'm not saying BIS shouldn't do the aircraft properly. I do think they should do them properly, but they shouldn't need to "perfect" it (when I mean perfect, I mean really really perfect). Like I said, just so they're decent enough. Because BIS have got other things to do at the same time...

Remember, BIS are working on a game where you can use aircraft, vehicles, and go on foot. It's harder to get all areas perfect because they're working on several areas. Some aircraft games for example, are strictly flying - so the game company can spend all the time they want on just flying. In ArmA/OFP, you've got a wide range to work on.

@ bravo 6, I'll have to agree there. Also even on foot, 15m is like 5m. :/

Chris

Yeah But you cant compare loads of different vehicle types. To two in Colin McRae. I would love to see improvements on the vehicles ( And im sure there will be) But we cant expect 7 different simulators an rpg and a rts in one game to Perfection on all of them.

Like I posted in an another thread I'm not asking here for a hardcore flight sim (like Lock On or Falcon4 or Jane's Longbow2) but I would like to see the aircraft in ArmA2 much more improved from what we have now (which is basically the same as in Operation Flashpoint).

And here's what I would like to see improved (regarding aircraft) in ArmA2:

1- For starters, I would like to see better avionics like a FLIR/Visual Targeting Systems similar to the real ones instead of that wierd radar system that we have now. Note that I'm not asking for the same detailed level of avionics that Jane's Apache Longbow 2 have (while I woudn't mind at all ), but I would like to see something that resembles a real FLIR system.

For aircraft like the Harrier, I would like to see something similar to a real radar (mayble similar to Jane's USAF).

2- Regarding flight models, I actually like the helicopter flight models very much as they are now so I don't ask for much improvements here but I do ask for a major improvement on fixed wing aircraft which IMO suck big time! I would like to see a proper throttle system in fixed wing aircraft and not the "digital one" that we have now (you either have full throttle or NO throttle).

3- I also would like to be able to arm and/or to change the aircraft weapons loadout at will instead of being limited to a "fixed" loadout which a particular aircraft version has. Also I would like to be able to arm an aircraft with more than one type of guided missiles such as for example 2xSidewinder and 4xLGBs in an Harrier or 8xHellfire, 2xRocket pods and 2xSidewinder in a Cobra Helicopter as they can carry in real life.

4- Please (when actually I beg), add countermeasure system to aircraft (which carry then in real like, of course) such as RWR (radar warning receivers), missile aproach warning systems and of course Flares and Chaff decoys to spoof enemy incoming missiles.

5- One other thing that I would like to see improved is the damage model of aircraft. I would like to see for example more diferent kind of damages on aircraft and improved survivibility on crash landings so that emergency landings become more survivable.

6- It would also be great to be able to fire a weapon while playing as a soldier which is transported inside a transport helo (such as a Backhawk).

How about a jet pilot?

Because.. they bothered to make a specific pilot for that useless camel biplane converted from OFP while the good aircraft is flown by helicopter pilots confused_o.gif .

And ejection seats would be nice aswell...

i already like arma flight sim smile_o.gif.

just one thing for amra2 , pls a little more easy to modify behaviour of missile and loadout possinbilities need broaden ever so slightly.

AIR to AIR in ARMA inlove.gif

F15/F22 vs MiG 29/Su 27 fights. oh yeah! harriers and 34s just dont fight too well ya know?

i want the AA warning stuff and ability to drop flares on choppers and aircraft. I hate it that my A-10 and others dont got anything to shield themselves against pesky little AA soldiers. tounge2.gif

Also ninja roping from all transport choppers. And a few bigger aircraft like c-130 and antonov or something similar for opfor.

Also mm ejection seats for aircrafts and i hope they wont remove the parachutes from choppers. And also the ability to fly sideways and strafe targets better with choppers like ofp, atm in Arma1 choppers needway to low speed to hit anything while doing strafing runs.. And yeah also a little better protection at windoows in choppers, shouldn't the windows be a little armored?

Hello everybody...

this is my first post in here.

I´m reading here for a long time.. but much is said here, so no comment needed^^.

Excuse my writen English, I´m trying my best.

My wish for the future (ArmA2) would be a better, or an existing Bomberskill for AI. It should be possible for the AI to fight groundtarget autonomically. (hope u understand me^^)

The FM of fixed an nonfixe wings are ok, i think.

But i need more technical Stuff like listed here before....

+Ejectingseat

+Breakingparachute

+Fastroping

+better AI-Handling with Jets an Choppers (near Hills!wink_o.gif

My "falscher Fuffzscher"

Nice to have some new aircrafts but if BIS will take this F-35 what about Su-47? On the other hand there should be things like mentioned before: better sim flight physics, weather conditions should have an affect, countermeasures, proper AI handling in all areas and combat mode.

I don't feel very possitive about ARMA 2 but i still think its gonna be great to play if the game engine improves a lot between now and the release..

My wish is that in ARMA 2 the aircrafts and choppers gonna be more diffecult to fly, and not arcade style like now in ARMA..

I hope that they make the flying more like a simmulator with  a Full or partial useable aircraft systems..

I want to see the MFD's working,Radar, CHAFF/FLARE countermeasures, ECM, Forward Looking Infrared and a Identyfy Friend or Foo. Cause now its just to easy to go fly a fighterjet or a chopper.. I don't even fly them very much anymore because i can waste entire armored collums and infantry with it in a cople minutes.. Yeah first that was fun but now its so boring. And these changes will mean that the NOOBS will stay away from the jets and choppers because its simply a little to diffecult to fly them right away...

And also its to simple to take out those fighters with a Stinger or strela.. in real life it wood take a lot of training and skill to take out a fast jet with such weaponry ( i know its just a game but i think it wood really make the gameplay better if they make the stinger and strela less effective to fast movers)

And if this all happens.. a lot of people can go learn to fly these aircraft and really feel good about taking out other vehicels and transporting infantry because this time it will take skill......... And please o please let there be SAM launcher in the orriginal release... But i think i'm asking to much now LOL

Let the flying be something Like Lock On Modern air combat.... But 25% less diffecult

F22A, F18s, F16s, F15s, Eurofighter, Tornado, Migs.

i want the AA warning stuff and ability to drop flares on choppers and aircraft. I hate it that my A-10 and others dont got anything to shield themselves against pesky little AA soldiers. tounge2.gif

Know why you shouldn't get any missile warning? They are IR missiles. Passive seeking ones, and thus your plane can't detect them. A-10s and Harriers aren't equipped with the launch flash-detectors that some more expensive and often bigger planes has.

I do agree however that you should have flares. The Stingers and Strelas should be faster, less agile, and one should be able to launch dozens of flares to keep them off one's ass.

I honestly think ArmA 2 would be better off if they ditched playable fixed wing aircraft. As mentioned by imkompetent, the speed and engagement ranges of modern air combat are outside the scope of the ArmA (and I imagine ArmA 2) engine. Have them there, but make them operate more as a script, ie, the ability to call in an airstrike on an area, with a random number of enemy units destroyed, or a precision strike on a particular building or unit. if enemy AA units are in the area, there could be a chance the strikes don't come through. It sounds simplified but I think it would end up being more realistic from the ground perspective.

I would still like to see choppers though, with ai acting in a less "stop and go" manner, improved flight characteristics and more emphasis on the fact your flying a hi-tech piece of equipment.

I honestly think ArmA 2 would be better off if they ditched playable fixed wing aircraft. As mentioned by imkompetent, the speed and engagement ranges of modern air combat are outside the scope of the ArmA (and I imagine ArmA 2) engine. Have them there, but make them operate more as a script, ie, the ability to call in an airstrike on an area, with a random number of enemy units destroyed, or a precision strike on a particular building or unit. if enemy AA units are in the area, there could be a chance the strikes don't come through. It sounds simplified but I think it would end up being more realistic from the ground perspective.

I would still like to see choppers though, with ai acting in a less "stop and go" manner, improved flight characteristics and more emphasis on the fact your flying a hi-tech piece of equipment.

That would completely take away from the principles of the entire series. Thats like putting monster truck tires on a F1 series car.

I understand your view and think it will look great but it is also a great stride towards scripted gameplay which I don't think most if any here are playing opf/arma for.

Snipped For Brevity

I agree that fixed-wing aircraft that are capable of supersonic flight is a bit too much to be asking for in a battlespace without demanding too much of the computer. Thus, it would perhaps be wiser to ditch most air-to-air craft and focus on air-to-ground support craft such as the AC-130 Gunship. THAT is an absolute must!

Additionally, I would like it if Bohemia would add a conceptual version of the V-22 Osprey with a forward-fixed cannon that can swing in a 45-degree cone in the forward azimuth direction. I am a big fan of flying support/transport craft such as the Blackhawk, and with the Osprey's poor combat repellent capabilities (only a rear fixed MG), it would be nice if Bohemia took a little bit of creative license and installed a limited-concept GAU-19 turret with just FLIR and laser designation for communication to precision strike craft.

The reason the GAU-19 was omitted was due to the military wanting it to be more sophisticated - driving up the cost and eventually killing it off. It wouldn't hurt to have it included so that pilots flying the Osprey in combat-heavy missions don't have to fly back to base, switch craft, and then fly back in order to provide general air support.

A sticking point I had with ARMA (the first), was the severe lack of a launch flash-warning indicator, as well as a target-lock warning indicator (I'm deaf, so these are absolute musts).

Another sticking point with ArmA was the complete lack of a countermeasure system against missiles and target locks out of the box. I'm aware that BIS likes to let the modders flesh out their games, but since ArmA 2 is going to be made available on the console platform, it would be wise to include these functions.

And finally, the lack of a rope-pulley system for the support craft. What would be a fantastic use with the V-22 Osprey is its medium-lift capabilities. Giving heavy-lifters (C-130, C-141 Starlifter) and helicopters the ability to transport vehicles will increase the logistical capacity of ArmA 2 in a long-term campaign scenario. Additionally it would also give players the option for rope rappelling onto a rooftop or drop zone right out of the game's box, without having to wait excessively long for a modder to produce it.

And finally, I'd also recommend finding a way to streamline the way characters board and disembark aircraft. At present it feels rather not-smooth. It would be a better idea if the player or character has to STEP INSIDE the vehicle first, or interact with the vehicle to open the door before actually clicking on the necessary function to be seated in it. That way, players and characters don't end up having what seems to be a time-limited queue (each individual member of an AI squad takes their sweet-ass time boarding in ArmA).

Just a post response to the first post made.

Well they tried that in Arma from the start but about a million people responded that they wanted it like ofp, which imo is very unrealistic. And when people find that in ARMA II if they did make it very realistic and those that couldn't fly would comes to these forums and spam and beg and be they kind of person who is spoilt and they wont stop. But they have already done a good job of arma? don't you think?