Sign in to follow this  
suma

Hotfix for Vista related to out of memory errors

Vindicated! I posted this http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....t=67011 a few hours ago, but your post just gives this fix the credibility it deserves.

Is it a problem that I also posted download links to the hotfix via 3rd party means? (Since MS is currently only taking these requests on a per call/email basis?) If so, I'll remove the download links, unless a mod beats me to it.

Thanks Suma! Further proof that you guys do care and aren't "brushing off Vista just because...".

Also, for the record: (even though I use my XP partition to play) I no longer require the -maxmem command in order for vista to be stable, using the above hotfix.

over 2 hours of playing and not one CTD. Ran sluggish as all heck compared to XP, but no crashies. So for what it's worth, that's a nice step in the right direction.

My Setup:

C2D 6400 o/c'd to 3.2ghz

2GB (2x 1GB sticks) of Geil PC2-6400 C4

8800 GTX running 163.44 drivers

X-fi sound card

Vista Ultimate 32bit / XP SP2 partition

For those who don't like to read so much:

NO MORE  -MAXMEM in VISTA !!!! (from my experience anyhow)

Well this has some strange effects. Instead it locks up every so often for a good 30 secs or so before recovering. Without the Hotfix that would have meant instacrash. I'll have to put the maxmem on again, but it does appear that Vista is handling resources better. smile_o.gif

Micro$oft released a patch for Vista which improves stability and performance of 3D Applications.

Maybe this solves some of the problems Vista users have, can't check it by myself since I don't have Vista installed.

Download and more information @ Micro$oft

I have been following this for a few weeks. I'll give it a try.

Possibility windows users won't have to use "maxmem"?

Second line in article...

Quote[/b] ]The article describes potential problems that may occur when you run applications in a modern operating system such as Windows Vista.  rofl.gif

I couldn't deny myself to post that...  smile_o.gif

Topics merged. This is the same KB article as already posted, this time with official Microsoft download links.

My spec:

Vista Home Premium 64bit

Core Duo 2 E6700

4gb DDR2 800 Corsair

nVidia 8800GTS 640mb (163.44 beta)

After added 2gb (2 + 2) ArmA doesn't start anymore... after this fix ArmA still not work.

Vista compatibility patch needed.

After i installed this MS Patch, ArmA doenst even start!

It crashs just after securerom loading box (that with checkboxes).

I don't know if this correct, but is this strictly for Nvidia users? I have an ATI 1950XT 512mb card with Vista Home premium. Wasn't really able to gage it too much but, with alittle play time in some games including ARMA(My favorite.) Things are lookin alot more smoother than before. Not great, but better. Thanks for the link Suma. Keep up the great work that you do. smile_o.gifpistols.gif

Wow! This hotfix and the beta nvidia driver (163.44 for vista 32 bit for my 8800gtx) improved my performance from 30 fps to 70fps!! Thanks a lot for this guys!

Wow! This hotfix and the beta nvidia driver (163.44 for vista 32 bit for my 8800gtx) improved my performance from 30 fps to 70fps!! Thanks a lot for this guys!

It's like getting a new game ehh?

I'm taking a weeks vaca this week, so I can put another multi days test in. We played several missions last nite (about 5+hrs)..and all these hotfixes/new drivers have made me a happy man now that SLI is working as it should w/ArmA.

i see on that list, it says:

1) Hotfix for GeForce customers running DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 applications:

2) Hotfix for SLI customers running DirectX 10 applications:

okay.. so which one shall i download? i got SLI, but i play both dx9 and dx10 games.. do i have to download both of those hotfixes or what?

okay.. so which one shall i download? i got SLI, but i play both dx9 and dx10 games..  do i have to download both of those hotfixes or what?

Try them all...they will tell you (upon installing) if it's for your particular system or not....i.e= it either installs, or prompts you with a "This is not for your system".

Hope that helps.

For once Microsoft actually did something to fix a 'painful' problem for ArmA.(At least the DXT5 problem. Maybe the ctd's too ... who knows) I ve been using this Hotfix for 4 hours straight and still no crash whatsoever.

Pick ur version ...

Vista 32. Here !

Vista 64. Here !

Enjoy !

P.S.: Big thanx to ixnay for the Knowledge Base reference number. I knew that MS was working on it , but could nt bare to read all the KB ref numbers to find 'the' one we needed.

smile_o.gif Thanks for posting this here! It helped fix my problem (or so it seems), and now I'm playing ArmA with no issues biggrin_o.gif

Abs

I would just get all the hotfixes listed here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

and get the latest ATI Driver package from www.guru3d.com smile_o.gif

Nice cheers fella.  wink_o.gif

I'll let you all know how it goes...

[EDIT] sorry to be a tool, but what does this -maxmem do?

I take it goes on the end of your shortcut right?

I installed this hotfix and all the latest drivers and no joy. banghead.gif

Back to 128.54 for me.

I would just get all the hotfixes listed here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/windows_vista_hotfixes.html

and get the latest ATI Driver package from www.guru3d.com smile_o.gif

Nice cheers fella.  wink_o.gif

I'll let you all know how it goes...

[EDIT] sorry to be a tool, but what does this -maxmem do?

I take it goes on the end of your shortcut right?

Well, I didt it. But nothing seems any different at all.

never mind eh? no harm done.

Sorry didn't work.

With the compatibility issues with not only Quad Core CPUs, I have an 8800GTX + Vista... 3 factors that cause problems with ArmA... I've already spent <span style='color:#FF0000'>hours</span> trying to figure this out.. even though BIS should be accommodating to their patrons instead of their patrons accommodating to BIS.

Thanks though Suma for the thread and the support. I appreciate anything you guys are doing that we currently don't know about. I don't mean to pre-judge. It's just that ArmA (was) the only game I played. Now I cannot even play it. So this new PC I just bought is completely worthless until ArmA's fixed.. Until then, the thousands of dollars I spent have gone to waste as it was only for ArmA.