Sign in to follow this  
suma

Hotfix for Vista related to out of memory errors

@Victor; If you only got the pc for ArmA, you might want to make use of ur 'downgrade' right on Vista license that allows you to get XP and install it genuine.

On the other hand, im wondering what your exact problem is.

You can't actually install XP over the top of Vista. A newer OS wont allow you to overwrite with older boot files.

You could try a dual boot, but that is a pain as you need to partition, format the partition, install from CD. Then insert the Vista DVD and run 'Bootsect.exe' to replace the 'old' XP files to allow the dual boot (if you don't do this bit you can only boot into XP).

Or you’d have to wipe the whole lot and start again.

That’s what i think I might try...

@stegman, you can simply format ur windows drive and install XP, there is no problem in doing so.

@stegman, you can simply format ur windows drive and install XP, there is no problem in doing so.

I had a quick look at doing so, but i think the sata / raid is causing an issue.

I need to sit down and have a fiddle with it.

I had a quick look at doing so, but i think the sata / raid is causing an issue.

hi,

why would the sata/raid prevent you from doing this if you already considered it?

just make sure you get all the xp drivers for your hardware and from the chipset driver package extract the plain sata/ide/raid drivers to a separate floppy. most chipsets even have their own makedisk tool for that.

i just downgraded a brand new vista machine down to xp home for a m8 this way and it worked like a charm.

most sata setups work out of the box with any sp2-patched xp install disk. some rare chipsets and most raid setups just need the floppy disk and require pressing f6 during the inital boot.

anyway, sounds like im lucky or something since i run xp+vista on a dualboot machine and i can play arma on either os (nforce 570sli, 8800gts running xp home sp2 and vista home premium 32bit with the microsoft hotixes and latest nvidia drivers)

hi,

why would the sata/raid prevent you from doing this if you already considered it?

just make sure you get all the xp drivers for your hardware and from the chipset driver package extract the plain sata/ide/raid drivers to a separate floppy. most chipsets even have their own makedisk tool for that.

i just downgraded a brand new vista machine down to xp home for a m8 this way and it worked like a charm.

most sata setups work out of the box with any sp2-patched xp install disk. some rare chipsets and most raid setups just need the floppy disk and require pressing f6 during the inital boot.

anyway, sounds like im lucky or something since i run xp+vista on a dualboot machine and i can play arma on either os (nforce 570sli, 8800gts running xp home sp2 and vista home premium 32bit with the microsoft hotixes and latest nvidia drivers)

like i said i havn't really looked into it yet, but thanks for the pointers.

I only have XP without SP2, I'll see how it goes.