Sign in to follow this  
CoriolisForce

Does wind effect ballistics in ArmA?

Unless I am mistaken, the wind value is for smoke, trees and grass, but not for bullets or aircraft.

I personally have never noticed wind making the ballistics of my bullets any different in ArmA. They all go in the same relative place and its more about limitations of the weapons actual range than wind which I find is the contributor to where a bullet will land. smile_o.gif

Ive heard rumours that high in the mountains wind affects the trajectory of bullets but I have never confirmed this.

BIS came out and said that, ever since OFP:E, wind did effect bullet trajectory (though it's probably not very noticable anyway). Why would they lie?

BIS came out and said that, ever since OFP:E, wind did effect bullet trajectory (though it's probably not very noticable anyway). Why would they lie?

Where abouts? I would like to see this. Don't take this as me calling you a liar, but I sure would like to read it from the horses mouth. This is good news if it is true!

Quote[/b] ]BIS came out and said that, ever since OFP:E, wind did effect bullet trajectory (though it's probably not very noticable anyway).

Actually, it's not noticeable at all. Just make a 1000m sniper range, test in different wind conditions and voila: Myth Busted.

Where abouts? I would like to see this. Don't take this as me calling you a liar, but I sure would like to read it from the horses mouth. This is good news if it is true!

Never seen it either sad_o.gif

BIS did mention something about wind on mountain tops, but

whether that means there is a mathematical model of wind

actually running in the simulation or if it means they just play

a "whooo...whooooo" soundfile when you are "up high" I have

not been sufficiently motivated to ascertain.

I have never felt the need to hold off for wind in either OFP

or ArmA, any variation in fall of shot I've just put down to the

randomized "dispersion" of the toy guns.

The way ArmA chooses its recoil and where the bullet goes is randomly scripted in the game engine I believe. It changes it's direction very slightly after a certain perious of time to different locations. This is to effect the realistic ballistics in ArmA, but it's not actually real.

If you shoot in the same point, and have the gun in the same place (hard because or recoil) you can see the bullets fly in different directions. I checked before with the MP5 from when It had no recoil. 2 shots was about a foot apart at a few hundred meters away.

That's the only thing that effects the bullets ballistics (AFAIK).

I have no idea what you are trying to describe but at least there is gravity, which was in OFP too of course.

The way ArmA chooses its recoil and where the bullet goes is randomly scripted in the game engine I believe. It changes it's direction very slightly after a certain perious of time to different locations. This is to effect the realistic ballistics in ArmA, but it's not actually real.

If you shoot in the same point, and have the gun in the same place (hard because or recoil) you can see the bullets fly in different directions. I checked before with the MP5 from when It had no recoil. 2 shots was about a foot apart at a few hundred meters away.

Bullets disperse is real life, they are not lasers. ArmA seems to disperse its bullets quite a lot, though.

Don't forget that bullets also bounce off the ground in ArmA. Doubtless what you are describing is seeing a bullet hit the ground somewhere then hit the ground somewhere else having bounced.

I checked before with the MP5 from when It had no recoil. 2 shots was about a foot apart at a few hundred meters away.

Which is pretty damn good for an SMG! biggrin_o.gif

I checked before with the MP5 from when It had no recoil. 2 shots was about a foot apart at a few hundred meters away.

Foot? I meant a few meters lol. Anyway it was obviously random.

Foot? I meant a few meters lol. Anyway it was obviously random.

MP5 is not really the most precise weapon you can find. I guess its dispersion is quite high, compared to M16 for example. I wouldn't use it for shooting hundred meters away.

...effective range of an MP5 is not nuch more than 150m. "CQB-sniping" biggrin_o.gif

For "real" sniper in ArmA it would be interesting to have wind effects.... but they only few guys. The majority plays at close range.

lol MP5 is a Close Combat weapon, just imagin trying to snipe with that thing rofl.gif

hk94sg1.jpg

.561 mils, baby. That's a 276mm group at 500 meters.

lol MP5 is a Close Combat weapon, just imagin trying to snipe with that thing  rofl.gif

hk94sg1.jpg

.561 mils, baby.  That's a 276mm group at 500 meters.

Yeah, if it was fixed to a bench. In the hands of a tired soldier who's been running about for half the day...... it's not going to be the same.

That assessment was performed by someone shooting it. This person was not employed by H&K. Also, the same can be said for any firearm. Do you think they got their 1 MOA when testing the m16a2 by waving the gun around with one arm while dancing a jig after 6 martinis?

The ballistics are actually surprisingly accurate in ArmA, given decent airFriction data (which ArmA does not have by default). The ballistics are as good as anything you can get out of a G1 ballistics calculator until the bullets fall to transonic speed. Bullets follow continuously computed curves defined by air friction and gravity, just like they're supposed to.

Wind has no effect, though. I could probably attach a script to each bullet that periodically changes the flight direction depending on the wind vector and any ballistics variables I decide to add to the bullet config--and I may fact in fact try this if I can find the relevant formulas--but I expect the performance and fidelity to be wretched.

Dispersion can be changed in the config, though. It's a bit too high for handguns, MP5s, and Gatling cannon, too low for sniper rifles, and about right for everything else. But dispersion quite stupidly depends on fire mode in the default configs, so your MP5 will magically be less accurate if you put the selector on "F". The engine seems to apply some kind of dispersion modifier based on stance, too, but I don't know what it is, where it's stored, or how to change it.

I really wish ArmA would do more with weapon sway instead of just deciding that "prone + single fire mode = match grade ammo" while "standing + automatic fire mode = handloads made by an arthritic octogenarian with no tools but a teaspoon and a C-clamp." That kind of thing annoys me.

.561 mils, baby.  That's a 276mm group at 500 meters.

That's hardly relevant. The MP5 was always known for its

single shot accuracy but that thing isn't an ordinary,

"straight off the production line" SMG and I'll bet it isn't firing

ordinary govt. issue ammo either. The long barrel alone makes

a huge difference. 100 yards is pushing it with an ordinary

SMG - which is why they are obsolescent nowadays.