Sign in to follow this  
MSpencer

Frontline Commander (MP 2-30)

So, a friend of mine has reached a stage where his dynamic frontline mission is viable and works with very few known bugs.

http://arma.isgreat.org/

So far, we've been testing it at all junctures on the KaoS server, and 88th has it hosted there as well, but the new version is not hosted anywhere so we're always looking for people to upload it.

Essentially the concept of the mission is to have units constantly spawned on both the Coalition side (United States and RACS forces) and SLA side. These forces will fight across the island for control of strategic points. Players will spawn at the player base, and will fight each other with the ultimate goal of defeating the other side. The main version utilizes all of Sahrani and provides a dynamic battle front, while a smaller version utilizes light vehicles and infantry on Rahmadi. I can certify that no two games are ever the same, the AI acts sensibly, but there's no real... homogeneous gameplay like you get with most missions, where one tactic works, the enemy force disposition is usually the same, and the enemy just kinda hangs out waiting for you to kill them. In this mission, it's not surprising to see an SLA Mi-17 drop 10 paratroopers before lighting up your HMMWV with PKT fire, just on a normal run to capture a point.

The mission is also designed with lag in mind. It should work with the weakest of servers as well as the power servers. We've tested this aspect of it from the start, and so far, most of the lag creating aspects have been eliminated.

If you're looking for a good dynamic combined arms combat scenario, one which can be played coop or counter op, please check out Frontline Commander at http://arma.isgreat.org/. I'm truly impressed by the system that was created for keeping the combat going persistently, the AI scripting, and the excellent moddability of the current system, and I consider this to be one of the finest missions out there.

So please, try it out, we've found it's incredibly fun with large amounts of people or with a few people against the inevitable horde of AI. It's not Berzerk or Evolution, it's something different, and I'm hesitant to say it's in the middle of the two. It offers both a persistent and realistic island environment, such as Evolution, and excellent PVP opportunities like Berzerk, but it is decidedly different, and it actually feels like you're fighting in a conflict against an opposing force.

For a list of the features and a general primer on gameplay, check out the website (The URL is listed below). Additionally, the mission is constantly being updated, so you can check here or on the website for news about new versions. You can report any bugs here, and they will be addressed in short order.

In short: It's awesome, download it, put it on your servers.

http://arma.isgreat.org/

tounge2.gif

Can't get the download to work correctly from your site - the mission contents just show in an html window when trying to download. Tried it with both IE & Mozilla.

Can't get the download to work correctly from your site - the mission contents just show in an html window when trying to download. Tried it with both IE & Mozilla.

Do a right click in the link and choose "save as .." that will make it.

I really want to play this looks brilliant if its what it says but i am getting a ctd evry time i put it in my mission folder. I take it out no ctd.

Its says preprocsesserfailed.csv or somthing.

Any idea what this could be? this mission looks like what i have been waiting for.

Quote[/b] ]I take it out no ctd. Its says preprocsesser failed.csv or somthing.

Same

I get the same crash as well ..

It looks like there's a popup ad for an iphone that is embedded in the pbo (I can see it in the html view) ..

I un pbo'd the file and sure enough, there are many unintelligible characters in there causing problems.

Please upload this to rapidshare or megaupload .. it looks like you guys put alot of effort into this and i'd like to check it out!

I also de-pbo it and looked at 2 files...

stringtable.csv first line looks incomplete

ndom 1000]

then I opened the ammobox.sqf in scripts folder and the first lines

look like the are from the end of a different script.

1] setWaypointType "SENTRY";_wp = 1}

#end;************************

crazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gifcrazy_o.gif

Can we please have more information on this game? Tested it and people had trouble respawning

It doesn't seem as though respawn is working at all. Once you die, the camera zooms in on your corpse and just stays there.. no respawn, no ending so you're forced to reset the mission.

Although for the 20 minutes or so I played, it was fun. US side took over control of south sahrani pretty quickly but by the time we reached Corazol the enemy was advancing with 3 or 4 shilka's that unfortunately ripped me and my two squadmates to pieces.

AI was quite good - loading troops into 4x4's and racing to the next flag. Had a few enemy KA-50's flying around attacking stragglers.

One thing I would like to see is markers (a little dot) for every troop on your side like in crCTI - it would be easier to figure out what territories your side is attacking and where the frontline is. I also like the 'teleport' .. really gets you into the action quickly.

Great fixes. Are the AI RAC/US forces supposed to respawn as well? I don't think they are or maybe not aggressive enough and the island gets overrun very quickly with SLA forces.

Good mission, very much like CTI without all the resource management.

Any more news on this one? We have trialled it on a dedicated server, there seems to be some lag issues re desnycs I really like this type of game play

REALCOMBAT, by GC

I have just reworked my mission architecture to release my real combat PVP mission. This mission boast a live environment where Coy sized forces continue to fight over Sahrani. Players can choose to join the east or west side to choose squad members to fight. Roleplaying is achieved through a score ranking system and the ability to change the unit's model as they progress in rank. IE: Become a crewman to drive tanks and a pilot to fly aircraft and helicopters. Command more troops as you progress. Like old CTI, you capture towns, and can actually warp your vehicle from base to your teams town. There are a lot of features, you wont be disapointed, from roving attack helicopters to carpet bombing strike aircraft, this mission has it all. The mission is designed for 24/7 without restart.

I am looking for help to make this mission even better. Please email me from my site. http://arma.isgreat.org/rc/

RC1.jpg

interesting any chance for more player version(s)

(like 18vs18, 24vs24, 32x32)?

Quote[/b] ]interesting any chance for more player version(s)

(like 18vs18, 24vs24, 32x32)?

Yes, my template allows adding of players without adding code, it was designed as a modders dream, being one myself.  Vehicles are also very easy to add as are city locations.  The design is modular.

To add additional multiplayer slots simply add more playable men to the chosen team, note civilian are refarees with a godlike ability to warp around the island.

To add/change vehicles simply copy any of the vehicle spawn points, change the ["easttank"]-example part of the exec array and add an array entry for your vehicle in the build\store.sqs file.  It should be easy to find out where, there are a lot of entry's.

If you want the ai to use your vehicle, put a copy of the vehicle spawn within 150 meters of an ai commander (running the "ai\ai.sqs script), and the ai will man and use your vehicle.

To add additional ai commanders, copy the ones on the map and have nearby vehicle spawns.  This thing gets as big or small as you want.

Every time an ai\ai.sqs script is run on an ai commander, he adds another dynamic self sustaining 12 man squad of troops who will man the self spawning vehicles.  You can run the same script several times on the same commander.  He will only command 1 air unit however, per script run. (heli's etc)

To add additional flags you simply copy the city flag and place it where you want a conquer location, then name the object that locations name, you can add an indefinate amount.

SWEEEEEEEEET!

but one thing though. It says I need an addon: dessert2_buildings.

Do I need Queens Gambit to play Real Combat? sad_o.gif

If not, where can I get these addons which are missin?

I'll repack the mission so that it doesn't ask for the queens gambit stuff, that is exactly what it wants, but no addons are used.  It will be marked on my site, thanks for the heads up. Done, hope that works

Gameplay Pics

Start at the east/west base

arrive.JPG

Recruit ai, get weapons etc.

recruit.JPG

Choose a vehicle and choose to teleport/transport to a given location (the east/west landing zone or captured town)

teleport1.JPG

teleport2.JPG

http://arma.isgreat.org/pics/teleport3.JPG

Capture flags in realtime, changes flag and map marker.

flags.JPG

flags1.JPG

note pics from FrontlineCommander Build, for newer ingame pics visit http://arma.isgreat.org/rc/

Sorry, its still requiring dessert2_buildings....

Please fix it again lol tounge2.gif

I dont have QC, so if this addon is in QC, please make a version for ArmA and one for Arma + QC smile_o.gif

Then all sides will be happy smile_o.gif

Seeing as that didn't work, I have posted the source code on my site, download that and placeit in your my documents\arma\username\missions\ folder. Then load it up in the editor and save it to mp missions. If it wont load, open the mission.sqf file and edit the

addOns[]=

{

"CAMisc",

"CACharacters",

"sara",

"caa10",

"cawheeled",

"catracked",

"caair3_su34"

};

addOnsAuto[]=

{

"cacharacters",

"camisc",

"sara"

};

Remove anything you don't have from that. Once it runs, save to mp missions. Then take the realcombat.pbo and email it to me please, I'll host it. hope this helps,

Thx, GC!

I had to unpbo the mission and remove the "dessert2_buildings" from the mission.sqm, then it worked just great.

Strange that it was there after your fix...anyway, I suggest you unpack your mission again, remove the dessert2_buildings and release a version for the vanilla ArmA.

So you have:

1. Real Combat for Queens Gambit (With dessert2_buildings)

2. Real Combat for Armed Assault. (Without dessert2_buildings)

smile_o.gif

Would you send me a copy of yours? my game is tossing it in there when I pack it, haven't found a good 3rd party packing utility.  I could install a 2nd vesion of arma for that purpose.  I'll have to see what the demand is.  If you look at the source, it doesn't have desert2 buildings in it, however the pbo does, and the source is what I pack.

Well I got to tell you that I unpbo'ed both files (the mission and the source) and they are exactly the same. That means that both files have dessert2_buildings.

However, I have made one version without that addon, so players with only vanilla ArmA can play it.

If you want I can send it to you and you will put it on your site. Remember to update one of the mirriors you have there (named dessert2_buildings patch or something) and overwrite it with the file I give you...

I don't need any credit. I think that when you tried to fix it, you maybe forgot to save your changes or something like that, which made the dessert2_buildings still stay in the mission.sqm. smile_o.gif

If you have MSN or any other E-mail address, please send me a PM with your adress and I will send you the mission. smile_o.gif