Sign in to follow this  
Saden

Physics

Will ArmA ever have any sort of a physics engine, or will OFP2 have one? I don't mind the animated deaths, it's just that it looks really weird after seeing a bomb dropped on a squad of soldiers, having them all just fall over similarly.

For Arma i doubt it and for Arma 2... i think there are much more important things to waste CPU on, for example... the damage model smile_o.gif .

Well is this supposed to be a next generation game or what? It should be pretty standard to have some sort of physics engine. It just ruins the immersion seeing somebody explode, land on the ground in an animation that I've seen a hundred times, still holding his rifle.

The animated deaths when getting shot are fine, although there could be more of a variety and improvements. Ragdoll should only be used when falling, explosions, getting ran over, ect.

I like the way they adopt their "death pose", fly a

hundred feet in the air and glide gracefully back to the

ground (well, not really).

It's not a "next generation game", but I don't think it was

ever advertised as such. It's just the old Op. Flashpoint

with some lipstick on and a new hairdo.

erhmm.. did you take a look at the football addon?

or the DBO_brick stuff....   it uses arma's internal physics...

will arma ever... damn it it HAS a physics engine!

so, whats the problem here?

the way u die? - then DONT! whistle.gif

It's not the way I die, it's the way people die when I kill them, using your logic, I shouldn't kill anyone.

It's not the way I die, it's the way people die when I kill them, using your logic, I shouldn't kill anyone.

Every game has a some physics, including ArmA. But anyway you're confusing your vocabulary, you're talking about a more specific part of physics called ragdoll. No ArmA does not use it (thank god), and I doubt Game 2 will because for a game of its size and scope it's just too much extra CPU to use.

I get it.... He wants to do mass killing with exploding bodies splattering on to his goggles.

Physics, the excuse for visual appetite, frustration? Indeed, I am sick of hearing about physics, a game needs to be smoothed out (Gameplay wise) before getting panties bunched up over physics.

I find this game to be purely game-play friendly (When it gets patched..soon...Better be..) with mods, addons, and user-made missions. As for physics; I feel like smashing my keyboard across the faces of the people who created GRAW (Grin) and that fat bastard who made HL2 (Gabe Newell...and company) for coining the term physics (making it the primary basis for games...); they basically spun a protocol for new 'top of the chart' type of games, with physics this, and etcetera there...and yadda yadda yadda.

I just want a game like ArmA but less buggy, and heavily moddable!! (I made that word up...Moddable..try it out sometime guys.)

Nonetheless..I lurk these forums thinking of something cool to say, its 1030pm on a friday night..and I have no friends.

-Enven

lol well said enven biggrin_o.gif

I agree that Arma is all about the gameplay and physics, or ragdolls, are not really important and really are most effective in arcade shooters where you can appreciate the dying masses over and over and over again.

But then again ragdoll physics have been around for quite some time and the way I understand it is that they are only initiated when an event such as death occurs so technically it wouldn't hamper a game like Arma all that much. Thing is that Arma isn't really all that next gen even tho it does look it in some ways IMO and if they couldn't include other more crucial elements to a realistic simulation then I guess they couldn't afford to bother with ragdolls.

Ragdoll affects are pretty cool in games like RavenShield....but thats just a 16 player game, I don't think I could last with 1000 ragdolls.

Bah ragdoll. It's not even that impressive. You have to overdo it to actually see it work. Ever seen BF2 charaters getting shot? See how they fly 10-15m after getting shot? And how their arms flail and fly as if they have no mass at all? That's the only time I ever noticed ragdoll in BF2. That and when it screwed up and left a dead body hanging in the jesus pose in the middle of the street.

However I do agree that it does kill it a bit when you see a body fly through the air and do his death animation. But then again it also kills the immersion when you see somebody fly 150m up into the air when an RPG hits just at their legs.

Bit sick but maybe a slice and dice effect will be a bit better then biggrin_o.gif Man goes Kabooom and bits of him go everywhere! Pretty sure a model can be broken into bits without too much extra polys for the cpu to work with.

Does it really chew that much more cpu power? - Is this something that can happen but wont? - Or is everyone just speculating?

The rag doll effect on Americas Army is really good, personally I think it adds alot to the game. Games have come a long way and to have a different effect depending where you hit the guy is great, and not uncommon

Well Americas Army does have a nice ragdoll effect, but still at some points overdone. However Americas Army doesn't support up to 64 players on screen and on map and it also doesn't include the AI. And a huge island.

Does it really chew that much more cpu power? - Is this something that can happen but wont? - Or is everyone just speculating?

The rag doll effect on Americas Army is really good, personally I think it adds alot to the game. Games have come a long way and to have a different effect depending where you hit the guy is great, and not uncommon

It does, if a small number of models "die" at the same time. AA is a tiny game compared to Arma.

Launch the editor and make a 50 vs 50 a.i. infantry battle with some waypoints, now imagine if it had ragdolls.. ofcourse there is always a way, they could make it not work if more than 5 models die at the same time but then it would look silly and still add nothing to the game.

I rather imagine BIS working on the a.i, damage model and much better/realistic vehicle and weapon simulations smile_o.gif .

Or maybe you want more ' Blood'nGore ' in ArmA, something that doesnt make you feel soldier, but instead makes u feel like a butcher?

Duhh...   its all there in the game, waiting to be discovered.

now kiddo's, the lesson you gonna learn today is :

WAR KILLS!  

http://www.armedassault.eu/Comical....de.html

It does, if a small number of models "die" at the same time. AA is a tiny game compared to Arma.

Launch the editor and make a 50 vs 50 a.i. infantry battle with some waypoints, now imagine if it had ragdolls.. ofcourse there is always a way, they could make it not work if more than 5 models die at the same time but then it would look silly and still add nothing to the game.

I rather imagine BIS working on the a.i, damage model and much better/realistic vehicle and weapon simulations smile_o.gif .

O I see. But I really cant wait for maps to shift away from using AI PvP FTW!

Totally agree with the damage model. In quakewars, whichever part of the vehicle is hit and by what will get damaged and/or fall off. I saw this vid where a dude shot out the tyre and the vehicle flipped and skidded down the road on 3 wheels.

The armor hit points are quite good but the hummers need work imo

Really simple explanation; you want rag-dolls or really funny physics...IMO; this game isn't for you if thats the case, why? A lot of reasons why, you need a game that has a smaller map, close range fighting, pretty standardized (its now a protocol from what is seems..) fps.

Someone mentioned bf2; how friggen hilarious to see the wacky arm flailing inflatable arm flailing tube man get shot, its like seeing the wacky arm flailing inflatable arm flailing tube man...do stuff? rofl.gif I can't think of much more to say about that...except for.. the wacky arm flailing inflatable arm flailing tube

Anyway; physics, ragdolls...I think its cool, yes, but it imagine this game with them, it would be kind of absurd, the amount of processing the game would have to do solely for that would be immense, especially when you have an island this big.

If I had a choice, I'd drop the idea and stick with what they have in that aspect, for the time being...that is.

Why? Basically, ArmA needs a patch, and actual things smoothed out before people wanting more items in game...Just an opinion I guess.

-Back to my coffee.

Am I the only one who got lost here:

Quote[/b] ]to see the wacky arm flailing inflatable arm flailing tube man get shot

huh.gif

No hablo espanol. xmas_o.gif

si, no entiende :O

and LOL at your videos jerryhopper :P

For Arma i doubt it and for Arma 2... i think there are much more important things to waste CPU on, for example... the damage model smile_o.gif .

haha, ArmA 2, thats a first, I wish we did have a better physics engine, no flying tanks...

I hate how somtimes you hear a high pitched rev of an BMP engine, then notice this flying tank falling back to earth, it really ruins everything...