Sign in to follow this  
NonWonderDog

Realistic Ballistics

ScopeFix v2.0 Released

The first post is updated with the download link and details. The new version has illuminated reticles, binocular views that work in wide aspect ratios, bigger ACOG reticles, and new mil dot reticles.

All the parts that aren't MP-safe should be out of the mod by default. You can still give troops extra binoculars with an optional pbo.

The file size is also smaller in this version because several textures are reused between optics models.

I was recently trying to approximate the longest combat sniper record with the m107 if ArmA. I noticed that the range card you published goes up to 2000m at 91.25 MOA elevation, but the GMJ scope mod only goes up to 87.25, which is just over 1950m. I don't know if this is proper or even your problem, but you seem to like to know this stuff so I thought I would tell you in case you didn't!

With regards to the ammo choice for the KSVK, I would just like to mention to you in passing that since this is a fictitious army with fictitious access to weapons and ammo, perhaps they also have fictitious means to acquire or manufacture match grade 12.7mm ammo. If you are looking for an excuse to level the playing field a little, or to provide an option for those who are.... If not, carry on!

Also, for your 9mm soviet scope, I believe the Groza OC-14 also uses that ammunition. I thought I would mention it, if you didn't already know. It seems semi-relevant.

Argh. I converted everything to use one scope ring texture, scaled to whatever FOV I needed, but I apparently forgot to change the texture on the wide-angle G36 reticle. I've uploaded v2.01 to fix this. The first post includes the link.

I've fixed a couple little bugs in SightAdjustmentPlugin in my "internal" version (87.25 max MOA instead of 100, for instance), but it's really pretty minor. I'm still trying to find data on sight adjustment ranges, though. The ranges I've provided wouldn't be quite right even if they were exactly as intended.

I don't really know how much adjustment from mechanical zero the M107's scope should have when mounted, for example. I just know that the scope has a total adjustment range of +/- 100 MOA when you zero it. I have no idea how much adjustment would be left over once it's zeroed to whatever range it's supposed to be zeroed to, although it can't possibly be more than +115/-85 when zeroed to 500 m since it's got a 27 MOA base standard. (I do know all this for the M24, though, and will adjust it in the mod eventually...)

I probably won't release any little tweaks to adjustment ranges unless it's part of a bigger patch on my part or it's mandated by an update to gmJamez' mod. I'd really like it if minimum and maximum adjustment could be set separately in his mod, for instance...

These mods might take back seat for a while, since I'm about six lines of code away from a working rangefinder script for the SOFLAM. Once I get that working, I'll try to put rangefinders on the tanks. Once I get that working, I'm going to start coding fire control computers. Those are going to take an age and a half to code even if everything goes perfectly smoothly.

There's a problem with the PSO as well in the new 2.1 i'm afraid... (bloody fantastic work otherwise!wink_o.gif

I get the following error picking it up:

Cannot open object nwd_scopefix

wd_pso-1-1-ak74.p3d

Also, is there a way in future to make the illuminated reticles display uncoloured through the night vision goggles? Currently they still show up coloured while everything else is green. I noticed though that the BIS vanilla Aimpoint CompM2 on the M4 seems to react properly to night vision goggles; the red dot turns green like everything else. I'm not complaining though, just a possible thought for a future update!

About NWD_RealDispersion, and specially about mounted weapons (on vehicle and static), I would suggest to not match dispersion values with the theoretical values. Because ArmA doesn't manage recoil for vehicle/static (exept tank gun or grenade-launcher).

So a greater dispersion setting for vehicle (as that was in vanilia game?) could compensate that.

Really? when i've fired off mounted guns there has been a little bit of recoil for me always.

No, mounted weapons in ArmA have no recoil at all.

There's a problem with the PSO as well in the new 2.1 i'm afraid... (bloody fantastic work otherwise!wink_o.gif

wd_pso-1-1-ak74.p3d

It's a problem on your side. Seems that you just overwrote the previous version of NWD_scopefix.pbo with the new one, and left other pbo's in the @NWD_Scopefix\Addons folder. What you need is to delete everything old from the Addons folder, so that it would only contain NWD_scopefix.pbo. It's one of the old pbo's that causes this trouble.

wd_pso-1-1-ak74.p3d

Also, is there a way in future to make the illuminated reticles display uncoloured through the night vision goggles? Currently they still show up coloured while everything else is green. I noticed though that the BIS vanilla Aimpoint CompM2 on the M4 seems to react properly to night vision goggles; the red dot turns green like everything else. I'm not complaining though, just a possible thought for a future update!

Your problem is due to not deleting the old version first. I merged all the default options into the main pbo, so you don't need the pso-1-1-AK74 pbo at all. The old option pbos, if you don't delete them, will refer to models and textures that no longer exist. (I replaced the dashes with underscores so I could attempt to add bones and animations to the reticles. As it turns out, ArmA ignores all animations specified in optics models, and there would be no way to control them with a script even if they weren't ignored.)

Illuminated reticles are colored through NVG because that's how ArmA handles optics through NVG. Any dedicated optics model (the aimpoint is not a dedicated optics model) will show full color through NVG. It may be possible to color the reticles white or green and make them glow red at night with .rvmat files whenever Oxygen 3 is released, but there's no way to fix it until then.

BIS' default PSO-1 reticle is supposed to glow red, though, and has a bit of illumination specified in its .rvmat file. It doesn't really work. The reticle shows up white instead of green through NVG, too, since the texture color is white.

Just pretend you're looking through a night scope when you have NVG on, and that that night scope has a red reticle. It's not easy to look through optics while wearing NVG, anyway.

I've just found a high resolution photo of the view through US Army M22 binoculars, and it appears that the military reticle actually has 0.1 mil wide lines. Apparently the knock-offs and old M19 reticles I'd seen didn't have a laser-etched reticle like the new binoculars. I'll update this eventually.

ah thanks for that... i've got your and gmjamez stuff all in one addon folder called @RealisticBallistics to reduce the amount of addon folders when i play...

any chance you can include the trueview optional pbos in the sight adjustment extras folder within the zip?

made a BW version for myself (i only have a laser printer) with shaded lining for better readability

ballistics-mil070825_greylined.png

Heh, good idea. I'll do the next one that way, when I update the range cards.

But, this post is mainly to say:

New versions of both mods released!

I've redone the M22 optics model to match photos, and it's now 99% accurate (the font for the number 7 is a guess tounge2.gif). I've also redone the scope ring for the binoculars, and I quite like the results.

I've also added new optics models for the laser designator and the Javelin. The Javelin CLU display is based on the field manual available at globalsecurity.org, while the laser designator display is based on the GLTD II described at this page. They aren't based on photos, obviously, so they may be slightly inaccurate. All the indicator lights are off, for compatibility with any future mods that may want to animate these. whistle.gif

The ballistics update is really tiny, and for compatibility more than anything. I'd inadvertently left opticsZoom settings for the Javelin in the rocketBallistics mod.

The ballistics update does include an updated sightAdjustmentPlugin.pbo, that should provide slightly more accurate adjustment ranges. The biggest difference is a smaller, more realistic adjustment range for the M24 scope.

It seems that SixTracers are gone with this update. Do you've disabled them in anyway or the update conflict with them?

I use the SIX_Tracers mod, and they work fine for me with everything but the M249. I didn't do anything to the M249 that would have disabled them, so I don't know what's up there.

The only thing I've done with respect to the tracers is add SIX_tracers to the M136 and RPG-7. Both show up just fine on my PC.

With your latest previous version I haven't probs me too, not even with the 249. But now only M2, Dkshm and tank guns have tracers. Did you have disabled/not disabled tracers in difficulty settings?

-------------------------

My apologizes, isn't your mod. I've removed the extendedInitEventhandler from ArmAEffects folder and solved the prob.

Thanks anyway.

hmm i love this mod!

i wonder, there is only one type of bullet for the light fifty.

isn't it possible to create other types of ammo, like the armored piercing, matchgrade or Full Metal Jacket? or is this the FMJ that's ingame?

All the indicator lights are off, for compatibility with any future mods that may want to animate these. whistle.gif

Thanks for leaving it clear biggrin_o.gif! I already had a rangefinder overlay script that I made up the layout for, so I thought I'd modify it to fit over your nice optics. I've taken some liberties with the layout to make it look nicer with a non-proportial font (Specifically, by centre justifying the numerals), and used degrees rather than mils (I'll add a mils config option when I get around to it, but any sane/non-military person would probably prefer degrees anyway). Still, I'm torn between clarity and realism. Any comments?

SPON rangefinder overlay WIP screenshot

EDIT: Oooops, I didn't realise you were making a rangefinder overlay too, though I've pretended that azimuth and elevation are calculated and displayed by my rangefinder and there are a few more differences in implementation tounge2.gif

@NonWonderDog:

first: your mod is kickass awesome, i love it.

but if i play online and use it in connection with sightadjustment i get an errormessage when picking up a m107.

Telling me that the mission is based on content that has been removed or something regarding NWD_sightadjustmentplugin... well. if i click "ok" im still able to continue...

is it a bug, or a issue on my side?

Quote[/b] ]based on content that has been removed or something regarding NWD_sightadjustmentplugin

I get that error (pop-up screen) aswell sometimes with the M4 acog. Strange, for me at least, is in some missions it works and in some not.

Quote[/b] ]While the default ScopeFix binoculars provide a realistic 7° horizontal FOV, they are only 5.25x power. The real binoculars are 7x power. If that makes you feel slighted, this mod is for you. As you can see, however, these binoculars have a restricted 5° horizontal FOV in a 4:3 resolution. If you have a widescreen monitor, you may prefer NWD_7xBinoculars_Widescreen.pbo instead. This mod provides nearly the full 7° field of view if you have a 16:9 monitor. You can use this on 4:3 monitors, too, but it doesn't feel like looking through binoculars at all.

Why don't you allow zoom from 5.25x (right fov, better situation awareness) to 7x (right power) with accurate optics marking for 7x (or 5.25x, gameplay issue)?

Your NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin gives me an error (click ok and it go through) in mp each time I play a mission (You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. nwd_sightadjustmentplugin) and if the addon is on the server, no mission can be launched at all.

Can you change your cfgpatches?

original

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches

{

class NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin

{

units[] = { };

weapons[] = { };

requiredVersion = 0.108000;

requiredAddons[] = { }; // won't work without GMJ_SightAdjustment, but won't cause problems

};

};

modified

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class CfgPatches

{

class NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin

{

units[] = { };

weapons[] = { };

requiredVersion = 0.108000;

requiredAddons[] = {"CAweapons", "CAweapons3" }; // won't work without GMJ_SightAdjustment, but won't cause problems

};

};

(just added proper requiredaddons and it's ok both client and server sided, "won't work without GMJ_SightAdjustment, but won't cause problems" => but will cause problem wihout bis weapons wink_o.gif )

Do you plan to tweak tanks ammo? Abrams sabot for example, it's get out of the gun at 1638m/s (ingame value) and 1000m further it's only around 1000m/s (it's should slow down to something like 1200m/s), flight time and vertical adjustment are completely wrong.

ps : btw, I love your mod :P

Hmm, didn't know I had to list those as required if I was only adding classes instead of overwriting them. I'll upload that as a patch.

I'd love to do tank shells, but I just don't know what the trajectories should look like. If you have any firing tables I'd love to see them.

I didn't make the binoculars zoomable because no army in the world uses variable power binoculars, and I wanted the reticle to be accurate all the time. I can understand variable player FOV for situational awareness, but I don't like adding zoom to fixed-power optics. And, as you can see, the 7x reticle is very, very big. I had to clip off a lot of the reticle to make it fit, and I don't really like that. I just use the default 5.25x mod, even though I have a widescreen monitor.

"Zoom power" is relative, anyway. I've defined opticsZoom ~= 0.30 (34 degree FOV) as unity power, but it really doesn't make a difference. You can actually zoom in further than that with your naked eye in ArmA, to 1.4x power or so, if you're aiming a rifle (this is true without my mod, as well, but to a lesser extent). All the optics fields of view are accurate (other than the G36 -- I didn't want it to look like a 6x optic), and that's the important part.

Hmm, didn't know I had to list those as required if I was only adding classes instead of overwriting them. I'll upload that as a patch.

thanks smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]...

I'd love to do tank shells, but I just don't know what the trajectories should look like. If you have any firing tables I'd love to see them.

I'll try to find something, I know a few people ...

Quote[/b] ]...

I didn't make the binoculars zoomable because no army in the world uses variable power binoculars, and I wanted the reticle to be accurate all the time. I can understand variable player FOV for situational awareness, but I don't like adding zoom to fixed-power optics. And, as you can see, the 7x reticle is very, very big. I had to clip off a lot of the reticle to make it fit, and I don't really like that. I just use the default 5.25x mod, even though I have a widescreen monitor.

Well, at least something which I don't agree with :P

On OFrP vector binoculars ( link ) there will be x4.45 to match the correct horizontal fov (6.75°) on 4:3 screen and up to x7 max zoom (and x10 on tripod) with calibrated marking for x4.45 zoom.

Quote[/b] ]...

"Zoom power" is relative, anyway. I've defined opticsZoom ~= 0.30 (34 degree FOV) as unity power, but it really doesn't make a difference. You can actually zoom in further than that with your naked eye in ArmA, to 1.4x power or so, if you're aiming a rifle (this is true without my mod, as well, but to a lesser extent). All the optics fields of view are accurate (other than the G36 -- I didn't want it to look like a 6x optic), and that's the important part.

Well I defined it as 0.25 (0.25/zoom = arma fov) (30° fov) :

bis ironsight max zoom (right click) is 0.22, but g36 x3 arma fov 0.0833 correct, m24 x10 arma fov 0.025 correct and acog x4 arma fov 0.0625 correct (I can translate my topic if you want, but I think you've already done yourself what I did).

Maybe a test which would allow to make zoom more accurate compared to reality, print a page with a big number (something like that)

recreate the same page in arma (dimensions), measure the distance that a man (with normal eyes) is able to read it without any help, then with binoculars and try to recreate it the same test in arma on classic 17" 1280px screen adjusting the zoom value.

Your NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin gives me an error (click ok and it go through) in mp each time I play a mission (You cannot play/edit this mission; it is dependent on downloadable content that has been deleted. nwd_sightadjustmentplugin) and if the addon is on the server, no mission can be launched at all.

Can you change your cfgpatches to

requiredAddons[] = {"CAweapons", "CAweapons3" };

GREAT HINT xela89!

Thank you very much, that solved my problem!

OpticsZoom is not a multiplier of 120 degrees, though. It's the half-field in radians. Field of view in degrees is thus approximately opticsZoom * 114.6 degrees. I've confirmed this with a big box marked in meters and custom optics models, with everything uv-mapped by hand. It's in radians.

I didn't really define opticsZoom = 0.30 as unity power, either, that's a simplification. I defined 4x power reticles as 7 pixels per mil on a 1024x1024 image since it was the nearest whole number that fit (mostly) the whole field of an ACOG scope on the screen. I could have done 8 px/mil to make unity power equal to opticsZoom = 0.256, but the ACOG field have been clipped off pretty severely (this was the first optic I did, remember). I scaled all the other magnifications to the nearest whole number based on that, and then worked backwards to find the opticsZoom values. Unity power varies between 0.28 and 0.3 radians half-FOV for all the optics.

I did it this way because field of view and reticle dimensions are much more important than perceived magnification. You can't tell that something is strictly 4.25x instead of 4x, but if the BDC reticle and rangefinder are completely off, you will notice eventually.

If you want to know exactly what unity power "should" be, use this formula:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">opticsZoom = atan( (horizontal screen size)/(2*distance from monitor) )

This assumes a 4:3 monitor, and you'll have to adjust the horizontal size if you have something else. For a decent sized monitor (anything bigger than a 17" CRT), this will be anywhere between 0.25 and 0.30. I chose the high end of that range, so I could fit more of the wide-FOV optics on the screen.

I found some firing tables for Swedish ammo out of the 120mm Rheinmetall L44 (in Swedish...) on the Steel Beasts website, so that's a help. I don't know how this compares to US ammo, but "120/95 slpprj 95" seems to be comparable to M829A2 according to info here.

None of the rounds listed seem to have any relation to M830, though.

And, just now, I found all the data I need for the US 120mm shells. I get the distinct impression that whoever unclassified this wasn't doing their job, but hey. Works for me.

I don't see your range cards in the ballistics file, how do I get them into the game?

Oops, I completely forgot to include them in the new version. I've uploaded v1.53 that includes the in-game range cards again. Sorry about that.

The online error message should be fixed, as well, and I've changed the M1A1 loadout to 27 APFSDS-T and 13 HEAT-T because that's the standard combat load. HEAT muzzle velocity is slightly tweaked, but I haven't done the ballistics for tank shells other than that.