Sign in to follow this  
NonWonderDog

Realistic Ballistics

sorry i just use 6thSense.eu Pack1 v0.2...

Quote[/b] ] so u need to delete them from @6thSenseMod/Addons and just make @NWD_Ballistics as a mod.

i didn`t got it - what do i need to delete exactly?

sorry i just use 6thSense.eu Pack1 v0.2...
Quote[/b] ] so u need to delete them from @6thSenseMod/Addons and just make @NWD_Ballistics as a mod.

i didn`t got it - what do i need to delete exactly?

Hi.

If u only use 6thSense.eu Pack1 v0.2, than u don't need to delete anything. Only if u use his Mod Pack.

6thSense.eu Mod PUBLIC BETA Release!

Tryed everything but dont get both addons run at same time(tracers are not visible with GMJ_SightAdjustment).

just have six_pack1, balistics and GMJ_SightAdjustment running. huh.gif

why is it running on your system? banghead.gif

Tryed everything but dont get both addons run at same time(tracers are not visible with GMJ_SightAdjustment).

just have six_pack1, balistics and GMJ_SightAdjustment running. huh.gif

why is it running on your system? banghead.gif

Hi

hehe.. not sure why it works here.

Ok.. are u using any ArmA Launcher? I use ArmA-Launcher 1.0.0 not ArmA Launcher v1.11 from Kegetys. Than i run into some problems with mods.. don't know why. But ArmA-Launcher 1.0.0 from sir_hC aka [uNA-C]Dark. That Launcher the work for me.

I haven't started all my mods right from ArmA shortcut, but i can try and see if it works that way too.

EDIT: It's works with standard ArmA shortcuts too.

My shortcut: "E:\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=@6thSenseMod;@GMJ_SightAdjustment;@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;FDF_Sounds

But.. i can try six_pack1.

i dont use any arma launcher.

Hi.

Okay, i did a test with SIX_Pack1 and no tracer with GMJ_SightAdjustment, hmmmmmmmm

But.. it's work in MP. confused_o.gif

I think I've got a set of files that will work with the TrueView mod, uploaded here.

If you use TrueView and it's interfering with the binocular calibration, use a binocular pbo from this set instead of the normal ones. I haven't really tested these, but they should work.

These are configured as a patch to the TrueView mod, so they should take priority. They will also throw an error if you do not use the TrueView mod.

What do I do with these? Use all three or pick one? New Mod folder or just throw em in with the old Binoc pbo?

@NonWonderDog

First let me say I love your mod a lot, and I think ArmA should have had proper "exterior ballistics" included in the first place.

In your first post you wrote the following regarding the changes made in:

NWD_RocketBallistics.pbo

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

This pbo includes redone rocket and missile ballistics, including the AT4 and RPG-7. These are not as well developed as the bullet ballistics, and may cause AI problems.

Anyway, I was curious to see what kind of AI problems I might find, and how the AI would handle firing RPG's/AT4's so I did some quick tests. Here are my findings:

Note: In the below tests an AI soldier voluntarily fired at the armored target, a script determined the distance between the Anti-Tank AI soldier and the target when the AI fired, and I simply recorded if the AI hit or missed. I ran each test 18 times.

RealisticBallistics (meters)

Mod(ON/OFF): Soldier Type: Target: AI to Target Distance: Hit/Miss:

------------------- ------------- -------- ------------------------- ---------

OFF WestAT4 T-72 187 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 187 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 182 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 191 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 191 Miss

OFF WestAT4 T-72 190 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 188 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 172 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 172 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 186 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 167 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 162 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 193 Miss

OFF WestAT4 T-72 179 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 179 Miss

OFF WestAT4 T-72 188 Hit

OFF WestAT4 T-72 188 Miss

OFF WestAT4 T-72 183 Miss

---------

13/18(Hit/Total)

ON WestAT4 T-72 189 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 167 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 167 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 189 Miss

ON WestAT4 T-72 166 Miss

ON WestAT4 T-72 166 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 178 Miss

ON WestAT4 T-72 165 Miss

ON WestAT4 T-72 154 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 193 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 175 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 176 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 191 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 169 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 169 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 191 Miss

ON WestAT4 T-72 179 Hit

ON WestAT4 T-72 176 Hit

---------

13/18(Hit/Total)

OFF EastRPG M1A1 186 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 185 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 185 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 193 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 192 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 190 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 193 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 181 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 179 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 193 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 193 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 186 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 194 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 191 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 191 Hit

OFF EastRPG M1A1 194 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 194 Miss

OFF EastRPG M1A1 192 Hit

---------

12/18(Hit/Total)

ON EastRPG M1A1 194 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 179 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 177 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 195 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 194 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 192 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 193 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 181 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 169 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 196 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 183 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 176 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 193 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 181 Hit

ON EastRPG M1A1 153 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 192 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 190 Miss

ON EastRPG M1A1 190 Hit

---------

8/18(Hit/Total)

My Summary: If you look at the AT4 Soldier data you will notice that I found no difference between having the "Realistic Ballistics" mod on or off. However if you look at Opfor's RPG Soldier data you will notice a difference. With the mod off the RPG soldier hits its target 12/18 times or 66.66667% of the time, and with the mod on the hit rate is lowered to 8/18 or 44%. Is this decrease in accuracy(or hit ratio) caused by this mod or is it just a random chance that it is lower. You could easily argue that there simply is not enough data here to get accurate results, the more testing that is done the more accurate the data. I could run more tests but rather than relying on only my data, it would be better if someone... anyone could do the same thing I did, and post their results for everyone to decide, if we see a similar pattern with other people data then we know what to assume.

Thanks

Ah, thanks. I didn't really have a clue if it was worse than normal. I hadn't done many runs, but I put that disclaimer there because I thought I'd noticed an increased tendency for the AI to fire RPGs into the dirt.

I think I'll decrease the "maxSpeed" a bit and see if it gets any better. Then I'll decrease it a lot and see if they start missing high every once in a blue moon.

Question: were these moving targets, or static targets? I'd only tested the AI against static targets out to 300m or so.

Update news:

I've finally figured out how to use O2 (i.e. GateBuilder, since O2 is a nightmare), so I'm currently fixing the reticle offsets the proper way with custom models for each scope (scaled so that the crosshair is in the exact center of the screen). I'd been using copies of the stock ACOG model with hex-edited texture references before, and it had some minor UV-mapping issues--the crosshair in this model was offset a couple pixels to the right. This might be too minor a change to release alone, but it's a big step towards illuminated reticles. The next version of ScopeFix should have a greatly reduced file size because of this, too.

I've also made some new equipment icons for the binoculars, so you can tell the M22 and BPO binocs apart. These still need a bit of cleaning up. I still don't know how these relate to loadouts.

The biki says something about creating custom animation controllers/sources, but it's unclear. Am I right in thinking that binding animation phase to a script variable would be really impossible? The PSO scopes should actually have moving reticles instead of the moving lenses of western scopes, but I guess the current behavior will have to do.

I can't really join in with all the mathematical and technical side to this thread but I'd like to say that this is one amazing mod and I hope that scripters find a way to enable varying wind in ArmA smile_o.gif

Absolutely great work NonWonderDog & contributors.

@NonWonderDog

Quote[/b] ]Question: were these moving targets, or static targets? I'd only tested the AI against static targets out to 300m or so.

The targets were not moving, they were empty tanks, and I forgot to mention the AI skill level was at default, I did not change it. I assume skill level affects the AI's accuracy, but it was the same for every test I did. Also, I decided to do the RPG-7 vs static tank test with your mod on 72 more times and the AI hit 38/72 times which is a 52.8% hit rate. Which is a little better than the 8/18 or 44% hit rate I posted above.

Great mod, it's nice to see someone this dedicated to realism.

Anyway, I was curious. I see the .303 British is on the list as a round to find out information for, I was just wondering what you would use the ballistic info for? Is there an addon that puts in a 303 British into ArmA?

.303 British is included in the game as B_77x56_Ball, for the guns on the Sopwith Camel. I haven't tested the ballistics I've given it at all, because it's not very important and I won't be able to find any data anyway.

Good news for the scopes: I've got illuminated reticles working for everything but the ACOG TA31F (I've found a workaround for this one, but it will take a lot of texture tweaking). Reticles will be illuminated from dusk to dawn in the next release. CfgMaterials seems to be ignored for optics models, but the "shining" attribute works just fine.

BUG:

There are Problems with the Config. The Binocular gets into the Mission.sqm and prevents everyone without this addon to join the Game.

I'll try this again.

What do I do with those Binoc files for TrueMod. I read your first post and I wasn't sure still. I don'[t think I'm using em right. They dont zoom in/out and it looks like part is cut out. The number on x and y axis only go up to 3 or 4, not 7 as the did before.

Do I not use the M19 binoc pbo anymore? Or do I use it with all 3 trueview binoc pbo's, just 1 or none? And what about the existing 4x pbo, I believe it is in scopefixv1.51 at least that's where I have it now. Please advice, I can't find a readme anywhere.

I will be releasing an update for TrueView very shortly that will get rid of the binoc change, so there will be no conflicts with NonWonderDog's mods. If you can hold out for a little longer, this issue will be resolved.

Don't use anything from the old version. The old M19 mod and new 4x binocular mod should have the same field of view, but I don't know which one would take precedence. The old reticle was a guess based on drawings, while the new one has a couple of photos to back it up. I don't think you'll prefer the old one.

The TrueView fix is a stupid kludge. Those mods are exactly the same as the other ones, they just list "TrueView" as a required addon. That forces them to take priority over anything in TrueView. Use one of these pbos instead of the 4x, 5x, or 7x mods in the main archive. Have only one of these mods in the addons folder at once, or I don't know which one will take priority.

If you use the 7x magnification mod, the scale will only go to 40 mils. You'd need to play on a 36" screen to see the whole field of view with proper reticle calibration. (And if you played on a 36" screen, I'd have to make all the other scopes smaller to keep them in scale.) If you want to see the whole reticle, you need to use the 4x magnification version. I use the 5x version as a nice compromise.

The next version will work a lot better with widescreen monitors, though, and you'll be able to see most of the horizontal FOV of the 7x binoculars if you play on a 16:9 screen. In other words, the field of view will no longer be clipped off to fit a 4:3 screen. I hope to use this same technique to make some panoramic NVGs for A10 pilots, but I don't know if ArmA will allow two different NVG types.

Great job NWD,

just 3 questions :

- Is there any way to see in game if the NWD_Ballistics mod is enabled ? I think I've made a good install but the M24 range cards is not accurate (>1,5m at 500m).

- Same question for the NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin; what are the modifications ? Doesn't seem to be enabled for me.

Is there any way to be sure that the mod is enabled ?

By a script testing the presence of your mod ?

- The NWD_ScopeFix is OK for me, easy to check whistle.gif

But the reticle is not focused for me. Your's screenshots show good focused reticle, how ?

The M24 Mil-dot scope (and the binocs) is now accurate for distance evaluations !! inlove.gif

Thank you

About NWD_RealDispersion, and specially about mounted weapons (on vehicle and static), I would suggest to not match dispersion values with the theoretical values. Because ArmA doesn't manage recoil for vehicle/static (exept tank gun or grenade-launcher).

So a greater dispersion setting for vehicle (as that was in vanilia game?) could compensate that.

I noticed while playing that the M16A4 ACOG has the correct calibrated scope that was added in with the scope fix mod. However, the M16A4 w/ GL does not have the correct ACOG reticule, It still has the original stock scope.

About NWD_RealDispersion, and specially about mounted weapons (on vehicle and static), I would suggest to not match dispersion values with the theoretical values. Because ArmA doesn't manage recoil for vehicle/static (exept tank gun or grenade-launcher).

So a greater dispersion setting for vehicle (as that was in vanilia game?) could compensate that.

Really? when i've fired off mounted guns there has been a little bit of recoil for me always.

I noticed while playing that the M16A4 ACOG has the correct calibrated scope that was added in with the scope fix mod. However, the M16A4 w/ GL does not have the correct ACOG reticule, It still has the original stock scope.

Just noticed this myself...

I'd have sworn the M16A4_acg_gl worked at least once before the release. It's a dependency issue I don't really understand, and somehow the game was loading the stock config after mine for this weapon only.

Anyway, I think I've fixed that for real now, and the fix will be included in the next ScopeFix version. I'll release it tonight after I take some screenshots and write a description of the changes.

If you use the Chammy Sound Mod beta, however, the M16A4_acg_gl is broken. The grenade launcher doesn't work, and it's impossible to change the optics. That's a bug on their part, that I've already reported to them.

As to the machineguns, I would be quite surprised if quoted dispersion values for mounted machine guns did not take at least a bit of recoil into account. Dispersion implies automatic fire, and they have to test the gun to get a value. There shouldn't be very much recoil for a rifle-caliber weapon mounted on a tank, anyway.

I can say with much certainty that the Gatling cannons had too much dispersion. The GAU-8/A in particular was ridiculous.

The .50 caliber machine guns might be on the low side for dispersion, though. I might increase the dispersion a bit just because they're in so many different mountings. Not for a while, though.