Sign in to follow this  
NonWonderDog

Realistic Ballistics

Whenever i load up a mission with an Ak74 PSO in it, i get this error "Cannot open object nwd_scopefixwd_pso_1_ak74.p3d"

it is really bugging me

I belive that it is caused by a confliction of the standard recticle, and the recticle that comes in one of the zipped files. Delete the newer of the two and it should work fine smile_o.gif

Actually... it's a missing model. I don't know how it happened, but the latest version is missing the optional PSO scope models. Just don't use the optional 1000 m rangefinder reticle for the AK-74, and you'll be fine. (Delete "NWD_AK74_PSO1.pbo" from your NWD_ScopeFix/addons directory, and you'll have the 400 m rangefinder version without any problems.) The VSS scope models I included as references are mysteriously AWOL as well.

I need to find time to release a hotfix for this, but there have been a grand total of two people who have even noticed. If you can't live without them, the missing models should be in version 2.01--still available at my FileFront page. That version doesn't include GLTD II or Javelin CLU optics, however, and the binoculars in that version are pretty wretched. If you know how, you should be able to just extract the missing models from that version and compile them into v2.2.

Also, just wondering, how difficult would it be to apply these ballistics to the RHS weapons pack?

Also, just wondering, how difficult would it be to apply these ballistics to the RHS weapons pack?

Believe it or not, RHS used NWD's ballistic values for their ammo xmas_o.gif (Well there is a bug with 9x39 ammo there but the rest is ok)

oh thats pretty sweet, so if i get shot with an RHS weapon at range, body armour will still protect me to a certain extent?

i'm looking forward to test it tonight!

I really hope now that more and more modders will integrate some of the cornerstone mods, like this one, in their new addons. RHS is a very good example. Also integration of solus event handlers.

Maybe a higher integration of such improvements, and the people doing it could even help. From what i've seen in the forum before it seemed to me that NWD, MadMatt, Sickboy & PandaPL etc could cooperate quite well so far.

As soon as this got enough momentum addon makers won't be able to neglect those cornerstone addons. Wich will safe the users a lot of work, we got now to edit the configs accordingly, to integrate new addons.

I tried reading the first 6 pages thoroughly, and skimmed the remaining. I also noticed a lack of "Search in this thread" for the forums. Therefor, I apologize if someone asked this already. Just let me know (and optionally the page or date its from).

There are several mods that add new weapons to the game, and I was interested in modifying (for personal use, unless I'd get permission, of course) those mods to be ballistic-ally in line with this mod. I'm not trying to get you, NWD, to do it for me. However, I am wondering what, in summary, would I have to do to bring them to "NWD standards".

I have a background of some experience; with programming and scripting, and have dabbled with Jedi Knight scripts and Battlefield2 scripts/configs. In 1997 I even used to study saved games in a hex editor to make my own saved game editors in Pascal. I have been studying the games files and online command references for about 2 weeks and they seem easy enough to understand/edit (SQS is a little "weird" though).

If online, where do you get your ballistics information? What are the class types I'd edit (are the ballistics defined for the muzzle, the ammunition, or both)?

If anyone else can answer (or point me in the general direction of where it has been answered) I'd appreciate it.

I tried reading the first 6 pages thoroughly, and skimmed the remaining. I also noticed a lack of "Search in this thread" for the forums. Therefor, I apologize if someone asked this already. Just let me know (and optionally the page or date its from).

I appologise in advance for probably not giving the help you wanted, but I wanted to say that you can "print topic" and use your browser to search.

My method is nothing very complicated. I trolled the internet for ballistic coefficients of different ammunition types, and put them in a free ballistics computer. That gave me a curve for each ammo type.

Then I used Kronzky's portable target range script to track the bullet flight paths in game, and tweaked the airFriction coefficients for each bullet (in the ammo class) until the ingame trajectory and real trajectory matched.

I've since figured out the equations of motion for the bullets, which makes things a lot faster. Drag acceleration at any point in time is equal to airFriction*velocity^2. So I've written a MATLAB code that solves the system of differential equations and plots the trajectory.

Real simple:

dx/dt = u

dy/dt = v

du/dt = airFriction*u^2

dv/dt = airFriction*v^2 - g

It's computed discretely ingame with updates every simulationStep, but that's not really important. Or, at least, I don't think it's really important.

I had planned, ever so long ago, to do this for lots of different ammo types not in the stock game. The only ones I ended up doing were the 9x39mm SP-5 and SP-6 bullets. I don't see myself coming back to this any time soon to do the others for several reasons -- not least of which is that the free trial of the ballistic computer I was using expired. I've got a couple others, but they're not quite as easy to use for my purposes.

Did you set your test rifle zero to 0 to achieve perfectly horizontal initial speed? I figure otherwise, even with a horizontal barrel the bullet has some vertical speed component.

Quote[/b] ][...]trolled the internet for ballistic coefficients of different ammunition types, and put them in a free ballistics computer. That gave me a curve for each ammo type.
I'll have to check for free calculators, or simplified equations that I can plug into a simple PERL or even C++.NET program. I imagine ballistics information on non-civil ammunition (silenced bullets, military specialty sniper rounds, etc) is very difficult to find.
Quote[/b] ][...]tweaked the airFriction coefficients for each bullet (in the ammo class) until the ingame trajectory and real trajectory matched.
It would seem that trajectory information (instead of the actual parameters) could be just as viable then.
Quote[/b] ]I had planned, ever so long ago, to do this for lots of different ammo types not in the stock game. [...] I don't see myself coming back to this any time soon[...]

I first plan on fixing (for personal use only) several addons that have overwriting EventHandlers (changing them to use EEH1.1). As well as anything else needed to get them to work together. Then, provided I still have the determination and interest, I'd like to return to tackle this for my own use, as there are some weapon packs that would allow interesting scenarios (M25(SD), m14, P90, 1911, uzi) but looked like they used custom ammo (maybe I saw incorrectly). If I make any future progress, I will PM you; what you'd do with it from there is up to you.

Great work nonWonderDog! All your addons seem very useful.

@everyone: Are addons applied in the order listed on the command line (so that three can override two, which can override one)?

plaintiff1 responded to this last question below, and I thanked him via PM.

I appologise in advance for probably not giving the help you wanted, but I wanted to say that you can "print topic" and use your browser to search.

Thank you! smile_o.gif I didn't realize that. That will come in handy. I still wish the search system was better though; especially since I never seem to search a forum with the right keywords. whistle.gif

@everyone: Are addons applied in the order listed on the command line (so that three can override two, which can override one)?

They're loaded in that order so the latest one will overwrite the previous ones.

This is sort of a cheeky request, but I was wondering if it would be possible to make a version of this mod compatible with CWR. CWR, I guess in an attempt to maximize compatibility with ofp missions, has used class names from OFP instead of ArmA. Usually I look down my nose at addon requests and that kind of stuff, and I'm just putting this 'out there'. The ballistics mod is my favourite mod of all... I've become dependent on it, like some kind of insidious sniping drug. I just noticed that without it, the experience seems quite a lot less rich.

Thank you for your time and for your mod.

P1.

Another Xmas day SADO'

Looks great can't wait to try it out!!! biggrin_o.gif

With all this in mind has or can anyone set up a MOD for airsoft type ballistics. Just that I think it would be a great training aid & I can supply all the ballistics info!

Happy Xmas ALL xmas_o.gif

If you use gmJamez' SightAdjustment mod v0.4beta, installing NWD_Ballistics v1.6 will overwrite the in-game range cards provided by that mod.

<s>I have a mod folder simply labeled 'ballistics' in which I have NWD_Ballistics v1.6, NWD_ScopeFix v2.2, gmJamez' SightAdjustment v0.4b, Q11_Recoils and Q11_RealROF. I have modified GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo to allow it to run in this mod folder and have the NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin.pbo But I don't get range cards for all the stock weapons, still only the two defined in GMJ Rangecard_List.txt (M4SPR & M24).</s>

Disregard, I think I got a corrupt or modified version of NWD_Ballistics_v1.6 because it came with no range cards. Downloaded again and fixed.

are you ever gonna sign these?

are you ever gonna sign these?

i agree. the add-ons are fantastic, but many servers require signed files. so if i want to pvp on another clan's server, chances are that i can't use this mod.