Sign in to follow this  
NonWonderDog

Realistic Ballistics

great... this is the best thing I've seen in ArmA yet...

question about the binoculars though;

the american M22s are zoomable... not exactly sure at which magnifcation (i'm talking in terms of fully zoomed in or fully zoomed out as there is no way to tell what exactly where you're at) i should be measuring for distance offsets... or exactly what equation i should be using...

ie as far as I know at 7x magnification on the real deal;

Distance = known size/mils on reticle x 1000

so for example we'll assume a man in arma is approximately 1.8metres tall and through the binoculars he's about 2.5 mils tall, so 1.8/2.5 = 0.72, x 1000 = 720 metres away...

is that correct on these binoculars?

it doesn't seem to work out with the M22s at full zoom (which I'm assuming is 7x magnification)

i'm guessing it might have something to do with the binoculars with higher magnifications also increasing the size of the mil reticle for some reason... is this an engine limitation? i'm guessing that inaccurate mil measurements in the reticle would be to blame for completely throwing off measurements... in which case there's not much use for them...

also, for some reason when using an OPFOR unit that by default has binoculars in their inventory (for example the Officer), pressing 'B' will not get out the binoculars with this mod running... you have to manually select them from the action menu... it seems to work for BLUFOR units though.

in addition, if you manually add the binoculars to a unit that doesn't have them (for some CRAZY reason, the OPFOR sniper has NO BINOCULARS!wink_o.gif , they will automatically get the M22s every time... so in short you can't manually add the BPOs to a unit in the editor...

so... i'm assuming I'm probably doing somethign wrong in all of the above circumstances wink_o.gif

On the first post at the bottom, there is some mention of fields of view and such. There is an optional pbo with some different fields of view / magnification power for some of the optics, including the m22s.

yes i tried with the 7x magnification versions, but for some reason it also expands the size of the measuring reticle (cutting off everything above 4), throwing off all measurements because the mil sizes are no longer accurate.

still not sure at which zoom level the american binos are actually 7x... or why exactly they zoom at all

yes i tried with the 7x magnification versions, but for some reason it also expands the size of the measuring reticle (cutting off everything above 4), throwing off all measurements because the mil sizes are no longer accurate.

still not sure at which zoom level the american binos are actually 7x... or why exactly they zoom at all

Hi smile_o.gif

Did you do this:

Quote[/b] ]

These are provided in the "extras" folder. To install any of these, move them to the "addons" folder and move the corresponding pbo your chosen extra replaces to the "extras" folder for safe keeping. Don't have two G36 reticle mods, two binocular mods, or two AK-74 mods in the addons folder at the same time.

EDIT.

I see there is a problem with the BIO's for the OFOR side

@NWD

If u change in your @NWD_ScopeFix\Addons\NWD_xxBinoculars.pbo\config.cpp

for the East side, change the "EastBinocular" to just "Binocular"

Cheers

Yuck, I didn't test the "b" key. I assumed it called up the first weapon with "useAsBinocular = 1" in its config, like any sane person would have coded it to do. It sounds like it's hardcoded to call the "Binocular" weapon instead. As far as I'm concerned, that's a bug in ArmA.

The BPO binoculars are weapon "EastBinocular" in the config. I didn't try adding them in the editor, but it should work.

What unit is missing binoculars? SoldierESniper should have a pair of "EastBinocular" in his inventory.

The 7x zoom version of the binoculars has the reticle clipped off by design. The problem is, the real binoculars have a 7 degree field of view in addition to 7x zoom. There is no way to do that in ArmA unless you have a 4 foot tall monitor. If you want the full 7 degree field of view, you need to use the 4x version. The 5x zoom version of the binoculars is provided as a compromise between the real 7 degree field of view and the real 7x zoom, and is probably the best choice.

The mils should be correct for all the binocular versions, and the rangefinding formula you've referenced is correct. Keep in mind that the binocular reticles are marked in tens of mils.

The large ticks on the M22 are 8 mil tall, and extend 3.625 mil above the crosshair. The small ticks are 4 mil tall, and extend 1.625 mil above the crosshair. All the lines are 0.75 mil thick. I don't know if this is accurate, but that's how I did it.

The large ticks on the BPO are 10 mil tall, while the small ticks are 5 mil tall. The crosshair is 4 mil across. All the ticks are 1 mil thick, while the crosshair is 0.5 mil thick. This is most likely accurate.

ArmA soldiers are 1.75m tall with helmets on, so are 17.5 mil tall at 100m, 3.5 mil tall at 500 m, and 1.75 mil tall at 1000 m. Those ranges and measurements are shown in the screenshots.

I've never, ever, heard of variable power binoculars in use in any army. The US Army M22 binoculars are Steiner 7x50s.

I actually found a couple bugs in the sight adjustment definitions, so a fix is uploaded as a v1.51 patch. You don't need this if you're not using GMJ_SightAdjustment.

Yuck, I didn't test the "b" key. I assumed it called up the first weapon with "useAsBinocular = 1" in its config, like any sane person would have coded it to do. It sounds like it's hardcoded to call the "Binocular" weapon instead. As far as I'm concerned, that's a bug in ArmA.

The BPO binoculars are weapon "EastBinocular" in the config. I didn't try adding them in the editor, but it should work.

What unit is missing binoculars? SoldierESniper should have a pair of "EastBinocular" in his inventory.

The mils should be correct on the binoculars, and the rangefinding formula you've referenced is correct. Keep in mind that the binocular reticles are marked in tens of mils.

The large ticks on the M22 are 8 mil tall, and extend 3.5 mil above the crosshair. The small ticks are 4 mil tall, and extend 1.5 mil above the crosshair.

The large ticks on the BPO are 10 mil tall, while the small ticks are 5 mil tall. The crosshair is 4 mil across.

ArmA soldiers are 1.75m tall with helmets on, so are 1.75 mil tall at 100m, 3.5 mil tall at 500 m, and 1.5 mil tall at 1000 m. Those ranges and measurements are shown in the screenshots.

I've never, ever, heard of variable power binoculars in use in any army. I think you're mistaken there, because the US Army M22 binoculars are Steiner 7x50s.

I actually found a couple bugs in the sight adjustment definitions, so a fix is uploaded as a v1.51 patch. You don't need this if you're not using GMJ_SightAdjustment.

@NWD

The hole East side missing Bio.

If u change in your @NWD_ScopeFix\Addons\NWD_xxBinoculars.pbo\config.cpp

for the East side, change the "EastBinocular" to just "Binocular"

So far as i know. i don't remember to have seen "EastBinocular" in any unit for East side, they still call it just "Binocular" as a weapon.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

{

weapons[] = {

"AK74", "EastBinocular", "NVGoggles", "Throw", "Put"

};

Change all to "Binocular"

Think that should work.

That would work, but then everyone would be using the M22 binocs. I added the "EastBinocular" weapon for the BPO binoculars. The Binocular and EastBinocular "weapons" are identical except for their scope models, and both share the "Binoculars" display name.

I had loaded up a few eastern units in the editor, and all the ones that were supposed to have binoculars did. I'll look into the loadouts tomorrow. I probably have to add the BPO binoculars to some loadout list somewhere.

argh i found out what was wrong... i usually load up @Truemods, and it, for some reason, gives binoculars the power to zoom in and out... retards.

now that i've got rid of that, my rangefinding is spot on with your binoculars. really, really great work, can't tell you how much i appreciate this mod.

not sure what was going on with the SoldierESniper binoculars... they're definitely there, my mistake.

but yeah unfortuantely 'B' doesn't work with the East Binoculars...

That would work, but then everyone would be using the M22 binocs. I added the "EastBinocular" weapon for the BPO binoculars. The Binocular and EastBinocular "weapons" are identical except for their scope models, and both share the "Binoculars" display name.

I had loaded up a few eastern units in the editor, and all the ones that were supposed to have binoculars did. I'll look into the loadouts tomorrow. I probably have to add the BPO binoculars to some loadout list somewhere.

Hi.

Ok... but it's there any EastBinocular class in the config under class Weapons?

Not sure if this is right, but you maybe have to add a new Binocular class under the class Weapons?

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class EastBinocular: Binocular

{

displayName = "$STR_DN_EASTBINOCULAR";

nameSound = "eastbinocular";

showEmpty = 0;

value = 5;

opticsZoomMin = 0.085;

opticsZoomMax = 0.085;

model = "\ca\weapons\dalekohled_proxy";

modelOptics = "\YOUR MODEL OPTICS";

picture = "\CA\weapons\data\equip\w_binocular_ca.paa";

class Library

{

libTextDesc = "$STR_LIB_BINOCULAR";

};

};

Not sure if this example is correct, but i think that's the way... hmm

I really like your new update smile_o.gif Keep up the good work mate.

Cheers

Yep, scroll down a bit in the cpp. tounge2.gif

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class cfgWeapons

{

class Default;

class Binocular : Default

{

modelOptics = "\NWD_ScopeFix\NWD_M22_5x"; // American M22 binoculars

opticsZoomMin = 0.056970; // 7° horizontal field of view

opticsZoomMax = 0.056970; // 5.2x power instead of 7x power for full horizontal FOV

};

class EastBinocular : Binocular

{

modelOptics = "\NWD_ScopeFix\NWD_BPO_5x"; // Russian BPO binoculars

opticsZoomMin = 0.056970;

opticsZoomMax = 0.056970;

};

};

The problem is that someone at BIS quite stupidly decided that the "b" key would call up weapon "Binocular", instead of calling up whatever weapon filled your binoculars slot. It's a bug in ArmA. I'd report it if I had a bug tracker account, but it might get ignored for violating the "no mods" rule.

It's probably possible to work around this with a script, but I don't really think it's worth it. Especially since I don't know how to load a script without conflicting with other mods.

Forgot to answer this:

Quote[/b] ]If i hit a man in his head at 1000 meter, will he die or do i have to put 8 bullets in his head?

Not sure about the effective range for M24, but i'm sure i bullet will do the job if u hit him in the head.

Please correct me if i thinking wrong here.. smile_o.gif

And the M107, pretty sure you need just one bullet to kill a man at 1000 meter, even if u hit him in the chest. Not sure how tick the body armor for the soldier is, but i know the M33 ball penetration:

I think headshots are instant death, no matter how little damage is done. Your chances of a 1000 meter first-round headshot with an M24 are somewhere between nil and hell-freezing-over, however. It will take 2-3 rounds of 7.62 in this mod to kill someone at 1000-1300 meters, I think, and about 15 rounds of 5.56 if you miraculously managed to hit someone that far out. Body armor would probably stop 7.62 at 1000 meters anyway.

The M107 will kill as far out as I can shoot. Don't worry about the .50s.

awesome.

this mod should become stickied.

because:

1 it's a step to getting a more realistic Arma experience.

2.it's also one of the first BIG steps that can help ensure different mods can fit in with each other. ie. West mod Vs East mod. it's a whole different level of scale and ambition that can happen here.

great work. smile_o.gif

Yep, scroll down a bit in the cpp. tounge2.gif

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, damn i'm so stupid biggrin_o.gif

Hmmm... okay.. so that's the BINO problem,hmm

I'm not a scripter, but maybe use some ideas from gmJamez scrip. Like he did with the key buttons. Maybe use "SHIFT + B" for east binoculars.Not sure if this work.. hmm just a idea.

Let's hope BIS will do something with that in "next" patch.

I see XAM v.1.3 are using the Action Menu to call the rangefinder(binoculars) for the observer.

Can someone report his impressions with this mod? (Does this mod really being capable to bring back more RLife to the game?)

What about Multiplayer?

this mod is a must have and should be implemented in the default game by BIS!!!!! thumbs-up.gif

Coz this is no arcade game - THIS IS A WAR SIMULATOR!!!!!

Can someone report his impressions with this mod? (Does this mod really being capable to bring back more RLife to the game?)

What about Multiplayer?

yes, it brings an entirely new scope of realism to the game, i'd recommend it to anyone and would definitely call it (combined with the elevation/windage adjustment addon) the best thing that has ever been put into arma...

if, once JAM gets sorted out and releases something it can be combined with that it will be even more amazing.

Im certain I've got this installed correctly...

I first installed

@GMJ_SightAdjustment

I then extracted

@NWD_Ballistics, @NWD_ScopeFix and then overwrote @GMJ_SightAdjustment

my shortcut line says

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;@GMJ_SightAdjustment

I keep getting a "sound sightclickadjustment not found" error and no range cards banghead.gif Heeeelp me please! I want to shoot people in the head from a long way away pistols.gif

Got the beta for @GMJ_SightAdjustment too huh.gif

have you tried different orders?

too bad i have to remove the binoculars fix so the game could work with True mod confused_o.gif

Im certain I've got this installed correctly...

I first installed

@GMJ_SightAdjustment

I then extracted

@NWD_Ballistics, @NWD_ScopeFix and then overwrote @GMJ_SightAdjustment

my shortcut line says

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;@GMJ_SightAdjustment

I keep getting a "sound sightclickadjustment not found" error and no range cards banghead.gif Heeeelp me please! I want to shoot people in the head from a long way away pistols.gif

Got the beta for @GMJ_SightAdjustment too huh.gif

Hi Chops

Did you try to remove the " in front of your shortcut and after arma.exe ? Like this:

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe -nosplash -mod=@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;@GMJ_SightAdjustment

My shortcut look like this, and no problems:

E:\ArmA\arma.exe -nosplash -mod=@ArmAEffects;@GMJ_SightAdjustment;@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;FDF_Sounds

I prefer you should delete your old @GMJ_SightAdjustment folder and make new one with gmJamez beta version.

Cheers

Thanks for your help mate. I'll give it a try. Even though I just finished watching "Shooter" and have a fearsome digital bloodlust, I'll have to wait till morning.

Cheers

Chops

Thanks for your help mate. I'll give it a try. Even though I just finished watching "Shooter" and have a fearsome digital bloodlust, I'll have to wait till morning.

Cheers

Chops

No problemo mate smile_o.gif

Hope it's help for you. Yeah the movie "Shooter" it's a damn good movie, he he So you are ready for some sniping soon, hehe

I'm pretty sure you just need to reinstall the @GMJ_SightAdjustment

No overwrite smile_o.gif

Cheers

@ NonWonderDog

Hi m8 smile_o.gif

Did yoy made a new update that will fix back the Binocular for the east side? Until you figured it out how to use different Binocular for each side.

Cheers

Great job NWD notworthy.gif  

Though I was looking through the dispersion config and found this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class G36C : G36a

{

class Single : Single

{

dispersion = 0.001750;

};

class Burst : Burst

{

dispersion = 0.003000;

aiDispersionCoefY = 5.000000;

aiDispersionCoefX = 4.000000;

};

class FullAuto : FullAuto

{

dispersion = 0.003000;

};

};

Since you stated you made dispersion values equal for all modes of fire, this must be a bug?

Great job NWD notworthy.gif

Though I was looking through the dispersion config and found this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">class G36C : G36a

{

class Single : Single

{

dispersion = 0.001750;

};

class Burst : Burst

{

dispersion = 0.003000;

};

class FullAuto : FullAuto

{

dispersion = 0.003000;

};

};

Since you stated you made dispersion values equal for all modes of fire, this must be a bug?

Whoops, thanks for the catch. I was testing something and forgot to set it back. All the dispersion values for the G36C should be 0.003000.

The real dispersion of the weapon in radians is about 6MOA, or 0.001750 radians, but player weapons seem to have 50% or less of the dispersion listed. I still haven't quite figured it out, but all the default dispersions listed in the config were 2x the real values for player weapons and that seems to work.

I upload another patch for that soon.

I've also realized that the scope model on the in-game SPR is a 3.5-10x power scope, rather than the 3-9x power scope I've simulated (the 3-9x doesn't have a parallax knob). I'm probably not going to change it until I manage to make illuminated reticles.

I've given this thing a pretty thorough looking over and I'm totally blown away. There's no way I could play ArmA without this now. You've ruined me.

Something you may want to check out... in the couple of shoots that I set up with the ksvk, the rounds seemed to be landing more to the left of the reticle than the right. It may just be random chance, but I wanted to propose that that sight may not be totally lined up. The windage 'knob' was neutral.