Sign in to follow this  
gmJamez

SightAdjustment (windage+elevation)

I've added the version 0.4beta to the first post - now featuring an ingame range card biggrin_o.gif

Two sample range cards (M24, M4SPR) are included, however keep in mind that the setup will vary depending on the kind of mods you've loaded.

An explanation on how to create your own range card can be found within the first post as well (no modding skills required - all you need is notepad).

Also, since 0.3beta seems to work well, it's linked as latest stable version.

Enjoy!

PS: Unfortunately I've had no luck with the XAM incompatibility yet - it seems the init function just isn't being called confused_o.gif

Hi mate smile_o.gif

I must say, awesome work and the range card, woowww, i love it tounge2.gif

Now we are talking, hehe. I think the biggest threat for an soldier most be snipers now, LOOOOL

Great work gmJamez smile_o.gif

Cheers

I have a few minor bugs to report regarding the in-game range cards, which you may or may not know about:

# When you have an excessively large range card (say, the M107 to 2000m in 50m increments), the list is cut off about halfway down the page. It's scrollable, but the range and adjustment lists scroll independently!

# The first line of the range card text file, the weapon name, is unused. The range card always shows the internal weapon name instead. It would also be nice if it would display the weapon string and the ammo string on separate lines.

# I don't know if there's any way to fix this, but the range card code throws an error if the text files are saved in UTF-8. That's not really important, but it means I can't use Russian for the weapon and ammo names.

Great job on the new version, by the way. I've already set realistic adjustment ranges for all the weapons (including unscoped weapons) for my ballistics mod, and I've made range cards for everything with a scope. It's very cool to be able to set max elevation on the SVD's scope and use the chevrons for extended ranges. biggrin_o.gif (I'll release the next version of my ballistics mod shortly.)

I still have a feature request for some kind of BDC implementation, though. The M24, KSVK, SVD, AK-74 PSO, and even the M16A2's iron sights all have elevation knobs marked according to range instead of mils or MOA. The knobs still click off in 1/2 mil or 1 MOA increments on all of these -- it's just the knobs that are marked in meters. The SPR scope knobs are labeled in both 1/2 MOA and hundreds of meters. The adjustment knobs on the M107 scope should still be adjusted in 1/4 MOA.

I've got a new idea for this, using the range cards. First, add a "GMJ_SA_BDC" integer to the weapon class definition. For "GMJ_SA_BDC = 1", have the code read from the range card file and display the nearest range and the elevation difference from that range. If there is no range card file, it should work as normal.

For example, my M24 range card includes [600, +13MOA, 700, +18MOA]. Changing between these settings should display:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

600m / 0.0MOA

600m + 1MOA / 0.0MOA

600m + 2MOA / 0.0MOA

700m - 2MOA / 0.0MOA

700m - 1MOA / 0.0MOA

700m / 0.0MOA

For iron sights, we need to be able to adjust the elevation in nonlinear increments. You could do this with a "GMJ_SA_BDC = 2" setting. This mode would use the range card settings (if present) to directly determine elevation settings. An AK74 range card might read [100, -4.75MOA, 200, -3.00MOA, 300, +0MOA, 400, +4.00MOA, 500, +9.00MOA, 600, +15.5MOA, 700, +23.5MOA, 800, +33.5MOA, 900, +45MOA, 1000, +58MOA], but running through the whole range should just display:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

100m / 0mils

200m / 0mils

300m / 0mils

400m / 0mils

500m / 0mils

600m / 0mils

700m / 0mils

800m / 0mils

900m / 0mils

1000m / 0mils

You should be able to compare the weapon name with each entry in rangecard_list.txt to determine whether or not a range card exists. You might want a rangecard_list_hidden.txt for the unscoped weapons, though.

It would also be nice to set minimum and maximum elevation separately. The PSO-1 should, if zeroed to 300 m, have a +12.5mil / -2.5mil adjustment range.

(Incidentally, how do you add bullet points to your post? <li>, like other HTML code, does nothing.)

I've download the 0.4 beta version, but when i was playing i've get a error.

Het can't find the rangecard.

I did coppy the sightadjustment.pbo, direct to my addonfolder.

Just like my english, i'm also a bit of a addon noob whistle.gif

I hope some1 can help me.

Hi smile_o.gif

The default Range Card, are made for @GMJ_SightAdjustment as a MOD. If u just only copied the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo into your Addons folder, than u will got that error, becouse inside of the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo\scripts\ and the file SightAdjustmentConfig.h tere can u change the Range Card folder.

I proffered that u use this addon as a MOD.

Just add -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment into your arma.exe shortcut

Hi smile_o.gif

The default Range Card, are made for @GMJ_SightAdjustment as a MOD. If u just only copied the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo into your Addons folder, than u will got that error, becouse inside of the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo\scripts\ and the file SightAdjustmentConfig.h tere can u change the Range Card folder.

Thnx for helping me, but what I said earlyer, i'm a addon noob sad_o.gif

I changed the name of the .pdo file into mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

the error is gone, but i can't find the rangecard now.

EDIT: the hole mod/addon is gone now:crazy:

i don't get the thing with the shortcuts.

I alway put a map in my addon folder, get all the stuf whats inside the map, copy/past it in my addon map.

Hi smile_o.gif

I alway put a map in my addon folder, get all the stuf whats inside the map, copy/past it in my addon map.

Hi.

Don't rename the pbo file, than u will run into lot of problems.

When you packed up the @GMJ_SightAdjustment_0.4beta.zip you got a new folder called Addons, and inside you will find the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo and those txt files...

Just make a new folder inside your ArmA folder.

Make this one @GMJ_SightAdjustment than put the unpacked folder Addons inside the new @GMJ_SightAdjustment

After that... Right Click on your ArmA shortcut and select Properties.

In the TARGET area you will find the location for your arma.exe after arma.exe add this -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

Should look like this allmost: C:\\blablablabla......\arma.exe -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

Cheers

Quote[/b] ]Make this one @GMJ_SightAdjustment than put the unpacked folder Addons inside the new @GMJ_SightAdjustment
You should have all the files in the folder : C:\\blabla..\Arma\@GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons\

Hi smile_o.gif

Hi.

Don't rename the pbo file, than u will run into lot of problems.

When you packed up the @GMJ_SightAdjustment_0.4beta.zip you got a new folder called Addons, and inside you will find the GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo and those txt files...

Just make a new folder inside your ArmA folder.

Make this one @GMJ_SightAdjustment than put the unpacked folder Addons inside the new @GMJ_SightAdjustment

After that... Right Click on your ArmA shortcut and select Properties.

In the TARGET area you will find the location for your arma.exe after arma.exe add this     -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment    

Should look like this allmost: C:\\blablablabla......\arma.exe -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

Cheers

Max. sniper. thnx for having a lot of patient with me wink_o.gif

I still don't get it with the .exe thing.

I made 2 screen shots, maybe this make it more clear (i hope)

vb1wy8.jpg

vb2it3.jpg

It's in dutch, 'eigenschappen' = Properties

Hi clownbassie.

Ok.. your new folder @GMJ_SightAdjustment are correct(picture 1) smile_o.gif

Not sure if you have the "Launch ArmA" or "ArmA" shortcut in your DESKTOP(Schreibtisch).

But Right Click on that shortcut and do that i write on the above post.

Quote[/b] ]

Right Click on your ArmA shortcut and select Properties.

In the TARGET area you will find the location for your arma.exe after arma.exe add this -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

Hope this help you now smile_o.gif

Cheers

at last i know what you meen.

I use the Arma launch, but it is for my fdf sound.

there it sais: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -mod=FDF_Sounds

I put the line you wrote behind de mod=fdfsounds. Maybe it works.

Thnx for now max sniper

Edit: yay.gif many thanx max. sniper. It works. notworthy.gif

at last i know what you meen.

I use the Arma launch, but it is for my fdf sound.

there it sais: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -mod=FDF_Sounds

I put the line you wrote behind de mod=fdfsounds. Maybe it works.

Thnx for now max sniper

Edit: yay.gif many thanx max. sniper. It works. notworthy.gif

Hi.

Yes thats correct smile_o.gif

like this: "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -mod=FDF_Sounds;@GMJ_SightAdjustment

EDIT:

Glad to hear you got it work. .) You can now add mods after that, just use ; after the mods.

Like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe -nosplash -mod=@ArmAEffects;@GMJ_SightAdjustment;@NWD_Ballistics;@NWD_ScopeFix;FDF_Sounds

Cheers

Sadly the enemies of freedom run unchecked over Sahrani, as I cannot get this to work banghead.gif .

I have the new beta 0.4 addons folder, in the @GMJ_SightAdjustment folder.

and

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

as the shortcut. I tried to remove the "quotes", but that gave me an error.

I still get the sound sightadjustmentclick not found error, no rangecards.

No other mods running or even mod folders in my Arma folder.

Geez I've been playing OFP/Arma for years!! For the love of god what is wrong with me?

Sadly the enemies of freedom run unchecked over Sahrani, as I cannot get this to work banghead.gif .

I have the new beta 0.4 addons folder, in the @GMJ_SightAdjustment folder.

and

"C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA\arma.exe" -nosplash -mod=@GMJ_SightAdjustment

as the shortcut. I tried to remove the "quotes", but that gave me an error.

I still get the sound sightadjustmentclick not found error, no rangecards.

No other mods running or even mod folders in my Arma folder.

Geez I've been playing OFP/Arma for years!! For the love of god what is wrong with me?

I made a screen shot for u. this is what i did, and it works for me.

I hope it works for u 2.  smile_o.gif

Hahahaaaaa! Death from afar to the enemies of the revolution!

Everything is working!

I found an old pbo called "sightadjustment" from a previous version, in my addons folder. Deleting it solved the problem. Perhaps a note of this could be included in the next release as it sounds like this was the problem for Python1 on page 12 of this thread.

Just beat me to post! Thanks for helping clownbassie.

yay.gifpistols.gif

Hahahaaaaa! Death from afar to the enemies of the revolution!

Everything is working!

I found an old pbo called "sightadjustment" from a previous version, in my addons folder. Deleting it solved the problem. Perhaps a note of this could be included in the next release as it sounds like this was the problem for Python1 on page 12 of this thread.

Just beat me to post! Thanks for helping clownbassie.

yay.gif  pistols.gif

np, i'm happy for u it works now smile_o.gif

@Chops

Hi smile_o.gif Glad to hear to got it work yay.gif

@gmJamez

Hi mate. It's there any way to make the elevation/windage display to show on upper left corner all the time? It's disappear after 30 seconds.

Cheers

it would be alot easier if you just downloaded ArmA Launcher or you just put the Pbo files into your main AddOns folder?

Hello all,

I'm quite impressed with what this mod is doing, and I use NonWonderDog's realistic ballistics, so I figured I'd use this too. I would like to be able to hit things at a mile while using the Mil-Dots, not the black peg. But I also use XAM 1.3 English. I saw the XAM incompatibility on things to look into, but I was wondering what's going on with that and if anyone else has gotten it to work with XAM and NonWonderDog's addon at the same time.

Thanks for your help, I really like XAM and NonWonderDog's mod, and I'd like to keep using them, but I would like this addon too, so any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Brett

Looking through the topic (probably blind), I've been looking how do I show the range card?

Thanks

Edit, hit behind the other note pad, silly me. The problem now is I can't enter any data. Any ideas?

Looking through the topic (probably blind), I've been looking how do I show the range card?

Thanks

Hi smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

range card configuration

The range cards are stored within the mod's directory. Unfortunately I can't determine the mod's directory or read the files by using relative paths, so the mod assumes that the range card files are found here "your ArmA directory\@GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons". If you want to store them somewhere else, change the following line within SightAdjustmentConfig.h:

#define GMJ_SA_RANGECARDPATH "@GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons"

To create your custom range card:

1) Aim at a target and adjust the elevation until the rounds hit exactly where you aim at.

2) Select the "New" link within the range card.

3) Enter the distance into the edit control next to the "enter distance:" line.

4) Select the "New" link within the range card and push the "add" button. Your current configuration will be added to the range card.

5) Repeat steps 1-4 for all distances you wish to show on the range card.

6) Select the entire text within the text control below the "copy range card data here:" line and copy the text to your clipboard.

7) Create a new text file within the directory where the range cards are stored (default "your ArmA directory\@GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons").

8) Paste the text and save the file as "rangecard_XXX.txt" where XXX can be anything you choose (for example indicate the gun, ammo, ...).

e.g. for an M24 range card you could save it as: rangecard_M24.txt

9) Open the file "rangecard_list.txt" within the directory where the range cards are stored (default "your ArmA directory\@GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons") and add...

, "XXX"

... at the end without adding new lines. XXX is of course whatever you chose when saving the file just before.

10) Within the range card push the "reload" button - the new range card can be selected (no need to restart the game).

And the Range Card will be showed in your map area.

Cheers

I just installed the latest (.4b) version, deleting the old version in my normal "addons" folder, and installing this one cleanly. I have been using the MOA adjustments, since that's the way it's done on a rifle. The previous version allowed me to use quarter-MOA incriments to adjust my scope, but for some reason this version only allows me to use 1 MOA incriments. Is there any reason for this, or should I revert back? I really love the rane card, but it's not worth it to me to loose my quarter-moa adjustments.

I didn't see any change about this in the change log, or on this forum. I wouldn't mind 1 MOA adjustments for the M4 and M-16, since that's the way it is, but for the M24 it should most definitely remain quarter MOA.

Anybody have any advice on how to get it back?

Unless it's been updated without a version change, this mod has everything in 1/4 MOA.

You must have installed is my ballistics mod as well as this one, which includes a "NWD_SightAdjustmentPlugin.pbo" that changes the adjustment intervals and ranges for all weapons. If you really want it back the way it was, you can just delete this file.

But although I've got a few things wrong in the current released version of that .pbo, the M24 adjustment increment isn't one of them. The real M24's scope has elevation adjustments in 1 MOA increments. If you don't believe me, I can link you to Leupold's description of the civillian version of the Leupold Ultra M3 (not the Leupold MKIV M3A, that's got a laser filter). I think the only difference between the civilian and military scopes is the reticle, but it doesn't really matter what the difference is. "M3" in Leupold's designation refers to 1 MOA knobs with BDC range marks.

The adjustment is in 1 MOA increments so the sniper can set 1000m range with one turn of the knob. With 1/4 MOA adjustment, you need 4 turns of the knob, and there is no indication of how many full revolutions you've turned it. In a warzone, that really sucks.

I've 2 problems using this great mod :

1St how to know you exact distance from the target to adjust correctly the sight ??

2nd I have a error msg when I adjust the MOA telling that the "GMJ_SightAdjustmentClick" was not found huh.gif?

Who can help me with that ?

But although I've got a few things wrong in the current released version of that .pbo, the M24 adjustment increment isn't one of them.  The real M24's scope has elevation adjustments in 1 MOA increments.  If you don't believe me, I can link you to Leupold's description of the civillian version of the Leupold Ultra M3 (not the Leupold MKIV M3A, that's got a laser filter).

NWD - You know, for some reason I never checked into the M3 knobs.  I have the Mark 4 with M1 knobs on my rifle, but never bothered to see the difference between the two.  The M1 has 1/4 increment adjustments, the M3 does not, as you've said.  

I was fully aware of the scope used on the M24, I just didn't realize there was a difference in the knobs other than the profile.

Now to consider...do I want a mod accurate to the true M24, or one accurate to my personal rifle...

I appreciate all your work, by the way.  Your mods, accompanied with this mod, is perhaps the best combination of realism mods I have used.  

Off topic, have you been able to find any data on the M118LR yet?  I see in your readme that you haen't used data on it, but feel it's accurate.  If you need some data, I probably have some lying around.

to know the exact range to the target

a laser range finder

lol

actually we need a good range finder as a second weapon slot like the binocs and NV

other than that...

set yourself up a target range (oh wait.... there has been one mentioned many times in this forum.... just read back thru the pages)

shoot at known distance targets and write down the adjustments you need to make

or use the included range card

as to knowing the exact range to a target

hmmm

I have been shooting for over 26 years...

learning and estimating range is a 'learned' ability

other than that...

take a shot....

adjust