Sign in to follow this  
gmJamez

SightAdjustment (windage+elevation)

Good morning NonWounderDog smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Bad news about the windage adjustment: it only works when facing north. When facing south, it's backwards. When facing east or west, it doesn't work at all.

LOOOOL rofl.gif I haven't tested the windage yet so much. But, damn, nice catch wink_o.gif Look likes other haven't tested the windage so much neither,e he since nobody haven't report that error. Good work NonWounderDog.

Quote[/b] ]

It's going to take a lot of trigonometry to fix this, meh. You're going to have to convert the direction into spherical coordinates, add your angle, and then convert it back to vector form. I think I've got a method that will work, hold on...

Wooooow, amazing math knowledge my friend wink_o.gif I shouldn't sleep at the math class at the school, he he

Really nice work. Now I'm gonna do a better test, he he

Quote[/b] ]

This assumes you're using my other tweaks as well. There may be...problems...if you somehow aim straight up or down, but that shouldn't ever happen.

Yes i'm using your other tweaks after release v.0.2 wink_o.gif

And I have converted into my pack. But i goot one problem, I'm using the:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class EventHandlers

{

init = "[] execVM ""\RAST\sc\GMJ_SightAdjustment\SightAdjustmentInit.sqf"";";

};

The problem is that, if i switch to the enemy side, i still got the Sight Adjustment. So i have to remake something that "_This Call or exec ...\SightAdjustmentInit.sqf"

The problem is, I have lot of scripts in this pack that worked perfectly in OFP, but in ArmA they don't work anymore sad_o.gif

I hope my script "master" will fix those problems when he have more time. He did a really good work for me to make it work on OFP. I'm trying to understand how those script are working, but my brain say stop sad_o.gif

Btw NonWounderDog, I'm gonna test your new tweak now smile_o.gif

Hi again smile_o.gif

I think a found a "bug" not sure. But i did some cosmetic sniping here. And figured out, when you have a zoom at 8.5x in my case and do a headshoot, the bullet hit exactly in the head, but if i do the same with 25x zoom the bullet fall down and hit him in the stomach. So you can't set:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

distanceZoomMin = 500;

distanceZoomMax = 500;

If u have adjustable scope like in my case.

so I think i found a way to fix that. tounge2.gif

Let's take a look at my data again:

//distanceZoomMin = 519; // 25x zeroed at 519m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

//distanceZoomMax = 519; // 8.5x zeroed at 519m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

Don't know if this is the right way, but i give it a try, hehe

I did: 519 / 8.5 = 61.05 for 8.5xZoom

and: 519 / 25 = 20.76 for 25xZoom

Than i did this: 61.05 - 20.76 = 40.74 than 519 + 40.74 = 559.74.

Than i chane my data again to:

//distanceZoomMin = 560; // 25x zeroed at 560m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

//distanceZoomMax = 519; // 8.5x zeroed at 519m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

Now it's look more correct when i do the test again tounge2.gif

Not sure if this is the right way, but it's helped for my, he he

If someone have the correct calculation please share it, he he

@NWD

since most of those rifle are using based parts of standard AK they are still in the AK family(AK style), its just that they aint standard AK

types of barrel and ammo takes most part on rifle accuracy

hum......i wonder how many bugs still have to fix

@gmJamez and NonWounderDog

I'm scratching my head off here soon, he he

I was thinking here rofl.gif

This value:

#ifdef GMJ_SA_USEMOA

_val = round(_v0 * 6000) / 100;

That number "100" it's mean 100 yards, correct? Well...ArmA don't operate in yards, so that should be around 91.44 meters.(or 109.36 yards for 100 meters)

So _v0, if this indicate 1 click?? . 1 click is 0.25 MoA, so we need 4 clicks to get 1 MoA, correct? So let's take that calculation again (4*6000) / 100 = 240 what? yards, meters, ft?

If that is in yards,then 1 MoA @ 240 yards (219 meters).

Shouldn't we operate in meters instead of yards?

What is 6000? smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Four (4) clicks of the scope adjustment equals 1.047 inch change @ 100 yards for scopes of 1/4MOA per click.

Ummmm...Has anyone thought that this type of mod project would be perfect for application to Tanks and armour in general?...Ie haveing a rangefinder and balistic adjustment???...THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Been watching this thread with interest. Haven't tried any of the versions/tweaks you guys have posted...I'd rather wait until it's more complete. Just wanted to let you know that I hope you guys work all this stuff out, because I would love to have ultra-realistic ballistics in ARMA, and especially for sniping. Think this would be great, too, for armor/tanks and for mortars.

I'd help out if I knew anything about sniping, rifles, scopes, or geometry in real life, but I don't (I casually play ARMA as a medic or sniper). If I knew anything about editing I would offer to help, but all I can do is offer my encouragement and let you know there are others out there who are anxious to see this mod completely working! Keep up the good work.

Ummmm...Has anyone thought that this type of mod project would be perfect for application to Tanks and armour in general?...Ie haveing a rangefinder and balistic adjustment???...THAT WOULD BE GREAT!!!

morden days tank use laser rangefinder together with ballistic computer and FCS to pinpoint target, so its quite different from what we are talking here

would be a nice add for WWII era tank

Actually... it could be adapted for modern day tanks.

First, we'd need a laser rangefinder. If there's no way to do it explicitly, I've got an idea for this: fire a super-fast bullet or rocket with no graphics, sounds, impact effects, damage, or ballistic drag, and get the range to impact. This is definitely doable. You could either make the action menu fire a "rangefinder bullet," or add a "rangefinder" weapon to the tank with a script that gives ammo back every time you fire (can you do that without the modeling tools?).

Then, I or someone else would need to make a hold-over formula from each tank round's ballistics. Using Kronzky's targetrange script, that should be possible. It would be a heck of a lot of work, though. Does anyone perchance have a link to an artillery calculator that works at low angles? Or a bullet ballistics calculator that works out to 5000 meters or so?

Then the script would just need to plug that range into the formula and set the elevation of the gun, accompanied by a nice "WHUump" sound and a view bob. Heck, you might even be able to find the change in weaponDirection during the half second you're lasing and get a lead adjustment, too!

The problems, as I see them, are (1) how do you know when the player is a tank gunner? and (2) how do you know what ammo is selected?

As for (1), I have no idea. For (2), well, real tanks need you to turn a knob to select the current ammo settings for the rangefinder. Maybe something could be added to the action menu to this effect. (Hmmm.... if you could just add two weapons to each tank: "Rangefinder (HEAT)" and "Rangefinder (APFSDS)", these questions become moot...)

To gmJamez, I have an idea for getting the selected weapon, based on looking at Kronzky's script. He has a function that, when ballistics tracking is turned on, displays the weapon elevation every second or so. This is done with the "weaponDirection" command, which requires that you supply it the name of the weapon. The really interesting thing about this script: if you switch to your pistol, it switches to displaying the elevation of your pistol! (EDIT: Turns out it's actually displaying the elevation of your NVG, which is always equal to the exact elevation of your selected weapon. If you don't have any NVG, it always shows the elevation of your pistol. Who knew?)

Perhaps, if you found the direction of each weapon, and compared each with the direction of the player, you could find the selected weapon? wow_o.gif

EDIT: Who said it was impossible to find the currently selected weapon? biggrin_o.gif This won't work for vehicles of course, but here's some info: "((vehicle player) weaponDirection (primaryWeapon player)) select 2" will never be above 0.9 for a weapon in a player's hands. For a weapon on a player's back, it will always be above 0.9 if the player is standing or kneeling. That goes for secondaryWeapon too. If the player is prone, it will, as far as I can tell, always return 0.0616381 for a primaryWeapon on your back and 0.163204 for a secondaryWeapon on your back. Calling weaponDirection on a weapon the player does not possess will always return [0,0,0], but miscellaneous weapons are goofy.

Since a secondaryWeapon cannot be active while prone, it's simple:<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">if (((vehicle player) weaponDirection (primaryWeapon player)) select 2 > 0.9) then {

// player does not have primary weapon selected

};

That won't tell you whether you have your secondary weapon or something else selected, but pistols, binoculars, and satchel charges don't need elevation adjustment. biggrin_o.gif You won't be able to change the elevation on your secondary weapon while prone, but that's the only downside I see.

Pistol direction is offset by some number of degrees from primary weapon direction when your primary weapon is selected, so if you wanted to handle pistols for some reason it would be a pain.

Man,if you could come up with something like this for tanks it would put arma in a whole new realm...and IMO be Big news.It would effectively make arma a tank sim.Not only that it would make it THE tank sim.

@NonWounderDog

Maybe do something like this:

_adjustmentP = _this select 1

_adjustmentS = _this select 2

_weapon = primaryweapon _adjustmentP

_weapon1 = secondaryweapon _adjustmentS

? _weapon == "m24" : goto "USEMOA"

? _weapon == "SVD" : goto "USEMIL"

#USEMOA

_adj = (1 / 60) / 4;

_mine = GMJ_SA_MINELEVATION / 60;

_maxe = GMJ_SA_MAXELEVATION / 60;

_minw = GMJ_SA_MINWINDAGE / 60;

_maxw = GMJ_SA_MAXWINDAGE / 60;

goto "GMJ_SA_USEMOA"

#USEMIL

_adj = 1 / 10000; // radians

_mine = GMJ_SA_MINELEVATION / 10000;

_maxe = GMJ_SA_MAXELEVATION / 10000;

_minw = GMJ_SA_MINWINDAGE / 10000;

_maxw = GMJ_SA_MAXWINDAGE / 10000;

goto "GMJ_SA_USEMIL"

Not sure if this is the correct way... but just an idea.

This will give max/min adjustment dependent of which weapon the player are using. So the goto "GMJ_SA_USEMIL" and "GMJ_SA_USEMOA" must be that value we set to max/min adjustment (max/min clicks) confused_o.gif

EDIT:

Quote[/b] ]

As for (1), I have no idea. For (2), well, real tanks need you to turn a knob to select the current ammo settings for the rangefinder. Maybe something could be added to the action menu to this effect. (Hmmm.... if you could just add two weapons to each tank: "Rangefinder (HEAT)" and "Rangefinder (APFSDS)", these questions become moot...)

You can set:

irScanRangeMin = 1;

irScanRangeMax = 5000;

In the config.cpp for:

class CfgVehicles

{

/*extern*/ class Tank

{

irScanRangeMin = 1;

irScanRangeMax = 5000;

};

};

Something like that, i think that will override the default setting for all Tanks, but i think AI will have the same value. confused_o.gif

But this will give you possibility for detect the enemy between 1 meters to 5000 meters. You can see that in my last video. I got the distance when i right click(mouse) on the enemy.

_weaponb4 = primaryWeapon _unit

?(_weaponb4 _unit != primaryweapon _unit): goto "reset sights"

primaryWeapon returns the vehicles primary weapon, regardless of whether that weapon is currently in use or not. So even while you run around with your handgun, primaryWeapon will always return your main gun.

Bad news about the windage adjustment: it only works when facing north.

Oh ffs! How could this go unnoticed so far? confused_o.gif

I restarted some of the missions I used for testing an lo and behold, they start with the player facing north... unbelievable...

Fix will be included in next release - thanks NonWonderDog! This was a good one to find smile_o.gif

And I have converted into my pack. But i goot one problem, I'm using the:

class EventHandlers

{

init = "[] execVM ""\RAST\sc\GMJ_SightAdjustment\SightAdjustmentInit.sqf"";";

};

The problem is that, if i switch to the enemy side, i still got the Sight Adjustment. So i have to remake something that "_This Call or exec ...\SightAdjustmentInit.sqf"

The script "SightAdjustmentInit.sqf" only initializes the mod, the functions that control the adjustments are attached to the player by the script "SightAdjustmentLoop.sqf" which checks every 0.25s whether the player or weapons have changed. So all changes must be made within the loop and not the config.cpp.

If you want to the script to become active only for one side, you could do something like this: 1) Within the loop, catch the first time a unit is added to the unitlist and store it's side somewhere. 2) Whenever the script detects a unit-change, determine the side of the current player and allow the script to attach only when the side of the current player matches the side of the original player.

I think a found a "bug" not sure. But i did some cosmetic sniping here. And figured out, when you have a zoom at 8.5x in my case and do a headshoot, the bullet hit exactly in the head, but if i do the same with 25x zoom the bullet fall down and hit him in the stomach.

Hmm. This means that a) we really need a range card feature soon and b) it can only be shared amongst users of the same gun with the same zoom...

Can't image how this mod should correct that behavior...

I'm scratching my head off here soon, he he

I was thinking here rofl.gif

This value:

#ifdef GMJ_SA_USEMOA

_val = round(_v0 * 6000) / 100;

That number "100" it's mean 100 yards, correct? Well...ArmA don't operate in yards, so that should be around 91.44 meters.(or 109.36 yards for 100 meters)

Nope, this is done just for rounding purposes biggrin_o.gif

Mulitply with a number 100 too big, round and finally divide by 100 to scale it back to the correct value.

...laser rangefinder... If there's no way to do it explicitly, I've got an idea for this: fire a super-fast bullet or rocket with no graphics, sounds, impact effects, damage, or ballistic drag, and get the range to impact.

Could be that this also alerts the guys since it probably activates the "someone's shootin at me" trigger...

Who said it was impossible to find the currently selected weapon? biggrin_o.gif

...weaponDirection...

LOL, I've been trying the same method yesterday biggrin_o.gif

It's a troubled approach though, since the values all vary during animations. The assumptions regarding the static values for weapons-on-back hold true only while the unit isn't moving.

It might be possible though to fix it still though... I'm guessing the unit movement is added to the weapon's direction and it might be possible to subtract it to get the weapons relative direction to the unit.

I also tried the animDone event handler - looks promising although I bet just watching for the switch-weapon anim won't suffice and there will be countless exceptions to take care of...

Next release with a couple of bugfixes (including the big one whistle.gif ) will happen later today or tomorrow...

hum how far are we at for this mod to be fully functional?

next release should fix the windage adjustment and then there's mp and vehicle behavior to check. Once that's done, it's functionally complete in the sense that it does what's promised.

Of course, after that's done, there's the wishlist to implement of which I really want the range card to work so that sniper missions can be prepared for properly smile_o.gif

Alright, off to work...

thx for reply, looking forward for any MP test wink_o.gif

I just remembered a function I found a while ago while reading the COMREF, tried it out just now and it's a promising one.

It's possible to read class values from within scripts, so e.g. I can get the players weapon and then query the config.cpp to answer to "is it scoped" question:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">getNumber (configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> (primaryWeapon player) >> "optics")

returns 1 for guns with optics, 0 for those without.

I can also get the scope used...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">getText (configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> (primaryWeapon player) >> "modelOptics")

... which returns e.g. "\ca\weapons\optika_sniperw" for an M24.

It's also possible to get the speed of the ammo used...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">getNumber (configFile >> "cfgAmmo" >> "B_762x54_Ball" >> "typicalSpeed")

returns 900.

All of this should for example allow for selection of MOA/mil settings based on some very general assumption and lot's of other stuff smile_o.gif

HI gmJamez smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

It's also possible to get the speed of the ammo used...

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">getNumber (configFile >> "cfgAmmo" >> "B_762x54_Ball" >> "typicalSpeed")

returns 900.

I don't think you should look after "typicalspeed" You need "initspeed"

typicalspeed is all from 230 - 120, it's mean if the bullet speed fall under typicalspeed, the damage will be less. If an bullet with initspeed of 900 m/s hit a target at 1000 meters, and the speed fall under let's say 230 m/s, the damage are less if the bullet hit with an speed of 450 m/s at 1000 meters from 900 m/s.

NonWonderDog wrote:

Quote[/b] ]

hit * bullet_speed_at_impact^2 / typicalSpeed^2

Iin my case i set my "typicalSpeed" to 500

typicalSpeed = 500; // hit value is valid when projectile moves at this speed. With lower speed the hit caused by the ammo is lower as well.

Right, seems to be initSpeed...

Btw. since reading the config.cpp values is possible, modders could also add parameters like sightadjustment[] = { 140, 100 }; where min windage would be -140/2, max windage 140/2, min elevation -100/2 and max elevation 100/2 into the config.cpp. Or add a sightadjustmentMode = "MOA" to override the mode for a certain weapon or add sightadjustmentAdj[] = { 0.5, 0.25 }; where the adjustment applied by the script would be 1/2 MOA/mil for windage and 0.25 MOA/mil for elevation.

Think this is goin' to the wishlist wink_o.gif

Hi smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Btw. since reading the config.cpp values is possible, modders could also add parameters like sightadjustment[] = { 140, 100 }; where min windage would be -140/2, max windage 140/2, min elevation -100/2 and max elevation 100/2 into the config.cpp. Or add a sightadjustmentMode = "MOA" to override the mode for a certain weapon or add sightadjustmentAdj[] = { 0.5, 0.25 }; where the adjustment applied by the script would be 1/2 MOA/mil for windage and 0.25 MOA/mil for elevation.

Hmmmm, really interesting. SightAdjustment isn't a command. But so far i know, i think u can use SightAdjustement as a command in config.cpp under class cfgWeapon.

Something like this:

class CfgWeapons

{

class Rifle; // External class reference

class M107;

class RAST_M82A1A: M107

{

scope = public;

RAST_OpticsLeupold

RAST_OpticsZoomM82A1A

GMJ_SightAdjustment

class Library

{

libTextDesc="The M82A1A (SASR) is a..........";

};

};

};

Than make an defines.hpp

#define RAST_OpticsZoomM82A1A opticsZoomMin = 0.01000;opticsZoomMax = 0.02941;opticsZoomInit = 0.1000;distanceZoomMin = 560;distanceZoomMax = 500;opticsFlare = 1;opticsDisablePeripherialVision = 1;

#define RAST_OpticsLeupold modelOptics = "\ca\weapons\optika_sniperw.p3d";

#define GMJ_SightAdjustment (and the rest here) hehe

Something like that. I have made my addon that way.

Yeah this should go to wishlist biggrin_o.gif

Actually... it could be adapted for modern day tanks.  

There is a laser rangefinder in ArmA already, right?  When the gunner goes to pulse this, can't the LD be used and the range to the 'laserTGT' or whatever is generated on the obstructing object, be used as the value?  A cross reference to angle offset for range, tied into the world 'Z' axis would allow for compound elevation when the tank is not on level terrain.  Either that or the barrel will lift the offset distance, slewing horizontal due to a non-perpindicular barrel axis.

Edit: What I'm trying to say in that mumbojumbo above, is either the world coordinates can be used (vectors?) or I fear the compound angle calcs would be pretty complex. Someone please prove this wrong.

The angle calculations should be no more complex than what this mod already does (or will do in the next version). That part's already figured out.

The time consuming part would be matching the ballistics of the various tank shells in a artillery calculator and getting elevation curves for range. This could be adjusted for sight elevation for firing down slopes and everything, if someone can find a decent artillery calculator or happens to know the exterior ballistics formulas. (I might be able to write a Matlab or Excel calculator to do it in a pinch.) Heck, it could be just as complicated as the real FCS if we wanted, with windage computed from turret traverse rate (although that might be frame rate dependent and buggy) and anything else you can dream up. We've got at least as much data available as the M1A2's FCS does.

First thing is to implement a rangefinder, though, and I'm not sure how the laser designator works. In fact, I have no idea how it works. I also have no idea how to mount one to a tank. If you could, you'd just need the "...onFire" script to check to see if the weapon fired was a laser rangefinder, and if so, adjust the main gun elevation automatically based on the lased range. If you can add some options to the gunner's command menu that set globals, like "set rangefinder HEAT" and "set rangefinder M240," tanks could be VERY cool. I don't know how to do that, either. Otherwise you'd need to set three fire modes on the rangefinder, which would be a pain to flip through but would still work. I really think it's possible to make a decent tank sim out of this.

gmJamez: as far as I can tell, there are no relevant animations other than prone in which a weapon on your back will have a y weaponDirection component below 0.9. Since the maximum elevation at which you can aim is 60 degrees, there should never be a case where the weapon in your hand has a y weaponDirection component above 0.9. Perhaps if you're sprinting, I haven't checked, but that doesn't really matter. You don't need to adjust weapon elevation when sprinting. One thing, though: the AT weapon ballistics are absolutely atrocious. I've almost fixed the M136 AT4, but the RPG-7 is beyond hope. I've also found that the distanceZoomMin, distanceZoomMax, and dispersion classes do not work for launchers! Your code actually has the capability to fix those three...

I suggest that you just check for weapon elevations above 0.9 when the player presses the adjustment keys. If the primary weapon elevation is below 0.9, add weapon adjustments to the primary weapon variables and ignore the secondary weapon. If the primary weapon elevation is above 0.9, but the secondary weapon elevation is below 0.9, then add weapon adjustments to the secondary weapon variables. If both are above 0.9, forbid any weapon adjustments. You'll always adjust the sights of your primary weapon while prone, but everything else should be fine. Prone would be so hard to handle that I don't know if it's worth it.

Config parameters are grand, but there's one huge thing that belongs on that wishlist: sightAdjustmentMode = "BDC" biggrin_o.gif

I can come up with bullet drop compensation in MOA for my ballistics mod (I hope to release it tomorrow) in about ten seconds. If you can come up with a format for me, I'll add this to my mod right away. It would take me another week to do it for the default ballistics, though, so I'm not going to deal with that.

Here's what I suggest: for sightAdjustmentMode = "BDC", make

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sightAdjustment[] = { 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 } // For AK-74

correspond to ranges in meters. Then, read in

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">sightAdjustmentAdj[] = { -4.88, -3.02, 0, 4.00, 9.05, 15.55, 23.76, 33.69, 45.19, 58.07 } // For real AK-74 ballistics

as adjustment in MOA for each range in sightAdjustment[]. That's probably the easiest way for me to add things in. You might want a sightAdjustmentDefault = 300 or something similar for default range, though, because default elevation might not always be 0 (in the case of AT weapons), and default zero range might not always be equal to distanceZoomMin/distanceZoomMax (since those don't take sight height into account).

(What to do about the SPR scope? It has adjustment both in MOA and as BDC out to 1000 meters...)

Say if an enemy was 750 meters away what would i set my Elevation to....Also the windage does it help in this game as there is no wind?

Yeah really...praying for a realistic tank sim mod for this game.Any progress in this area?

Range card

RangeCard1.jpg

Hi m8 smile_o.gif

I was thinking about your range card. Did you use the last fix in SightAdjustment from NonWonderDog, page 7 and some from page 5?

I think maybe gmJamez have forgot those fix? confused_o.gif

So your range card will be a bit different with the new fix.

I have the fix, and my range card look like this:

M24:Mils

100 =

200 =

300 = 0.0

400 = 0.5

500 = 1.3

600 = 2.5

700 = 3.4

800 = 4.2

900 = 5.2

1000 = 6.6