Sign in to follow this  
gmJamez

SightAdjustment (windage+elevation)

Whoops, I see the problem. Don't change the / 60 in the OnKeyDown file. That's for the conversion from MoA to degrees, regardless of the maximums.

Min/max settings are still made in the header file.

Ok smile_o.gif

This is how it looks now:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

#ifdef GMJ_SA_USEMOA

_adj = (1 / 60) / 4;

_mine = GMJ_SA_MINELEVATION / 60;

_maxe = GMJ_SA_MAXELEVATION / 60;

_minw = GMJ_SA_MINWINDAGE / 60;

_maxw = GMJ_SA_MAXWINDAGE / 60;

#endif

Gonna do a test smile_o.gif

Okay.. i change them to / 60;

and change this in the sightadjustmentconfig.h

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

//#define GMJ_SA_USEMIL

#define GMJ_SA_USEMOA

#define GMJ_SA_MINELEVATION -75

#define GMJ_SA_MAXELEVATION 75

#define GMJ_SA_MINWINDAGE -70

#define GMJ_SA_MAXWINDAGE 70

It's that correct? smile_o.gif

Hi NonWounderDog smile_o.gif

It's work perfect now tounge2.gif

Max/Min Elev are now +75/-75 MoA

Max/Min Wind are now +70/-70 MoA

Thanks again smile_o.gif

Btw.. i change to a new scope from Leupold smile_o.gif

Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1

Length (A) 14.4 in

Tube Length (B) 6.5 in

© 2.6 in

(D) 2.4 in

Eyepiece Length (E) 3.2 in

Objective Length (F) 4.9 in

Objective Diameter (G) 2.3 in

Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.6 in

Tube Diameter (I) 30 mm

Actual Magnification 25.1 (8.2)

FOV @ 100 yds (ft) 4.4 (11.2)

FOV @ 100 m (m) 1.4 (3.7)

Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (5.3)

Eye Relief (mm) 94 (134)

Obj. Clear Aperture 2.0 in / 50 mm

Weight 22.5 oz / 638 g

Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 75

Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 70

And another question, he he

Do you now the exactly ZoomValue to add the correct zoom for the scope?

I use for set 20x zoom ( 0.7 / 20 = 0.03500 ) i set opticsZoomMin = 0.03500;

It's 0.7 correct?

Hmm... now that I think about it, perhaps mils in a sniper scope really should be milliradians? The NATO definition of a mil is indeed 1/6400 of a circle, but NATO doesn't make scopes. I'll bet scope makers use milliradians, regardless of any standard.

I'll update the other post with that in mind.

It's 0.7 correct?

It's field of view, in radians. 2x magnification will decrease your field of view 2x, so it's inversely proportional to zoom.

The standard used by the game seems to be 0.25 radians FOV at 1x magnification, so use (0.25 / ZOOM) to calibrate your scope. A 20x scope should have opticsZoomMin = 0.0125.

It's 0.7 correct?

It's field of view, in radians. 2x magnification will decrease your field of view 2x, so it's inversely proportional to zoom.

The standard used by the game seems to be 0.25 radians FOV at 1x magnification, so use (0.25 / ZOOM) to calibrate your scope. A 20x scope should have opticsZoomMin = 0.0125.

Hmmmm... well i didn't know that. My settings are set to this:

//Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Rifle Scope

//opticsZoomMin = 0.02800; // 25x Zoom

//opticsZoomMax = 0.08235; // 8.5x Zoom

//distanceZoomMin = 500; // zeroed at 25x

//distanceZoomMax = 500; // zeroed at 8.5x

So it should be:

//Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Rifle Scope

//opticsZoomMin = 0.01000; // 25x Zoom

//opticsZoomMax = 0.02941; // 8.5x Zoom

//distanceZoomMin = 500; // zeroed at 25x

//distanceZoomMax = 500; // zeroed at 8.5x

It's that correct? he he

EDIT:

I took a look inside weapons3.pdo and found m107, he he

They use:

opticsZoomMin = 0.025;

opticsZoomMax = 0.025;

distanceZoomMin = 500;

distanceZoomMax = 500;

That should be 10x. How do we know that are 10x Scope?

As far as I know, yeah.

Alternatively, you could set the values to the actual field of view of the scope at minimum and maximum magnification. Leupold lists field of view in meters at 100 meters, so just divide that by 100. (EDIT: Need more work than that. ArmA actually uses half-fov, measured side to side.) You might want to add a bit more to account for the scope ring texture, but I have no idea how much. (EDIT: ~48 pixels. To get scope FOV correct in game, it might be something like actual_fov/2*(1024/720). )

The relationship between scope field of view and zoom is by no means consistent across different scopes, of course. If the ACOG fills the whole screen, sniper scopes should actually fill about half of it. I'm really not sure I'd like that unless the zoomed in view could be rendered on the actual model like in Red Orchestra.

DistanceZoom is not really zero distance, either. It's the distance at which the bullet will cross the plane of the scope, at the height of the barrel. This doesn't mean a whole lot until you're talking about a big sight height (like a sniper rifle) or a short zero distance. The ACOG's 100 meter zero needs a DistanceZoom of 187 meters with the ballistics I've come up with.

If your Barret has its scope 3.5 inches above the barrel (what I've guessed for my upcoming ballistics mod), you'll have to set DistanceZoom to 519 for a 500 meter zero. That's for a airFriction value of 0.00055, like I suggested to you earlier. If you don't your point of impact will be 3.5 inches low at 500 yards. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't really matter, but I like things to be right. tounge2.gif

As far as I know, yeah.

Alternatively, you could set the values to the actual field of view of the scope at minimum and maximum magnification. Leupold lists field of view in meters at 100 meters, so just divide that by 100. You might want to add a bit more to account for the scope ring texture, but I have no idea how much.

This usually corresponds to 0.3 or 0.35 divided by magnification, though, so will give you less zoom than the default optics. I'd actually do this for all the default optics if I didn't think it would mess with the reticles.

DistanceZoom is not really zero distance, either. It's the distance at which the bullet will cross the plane of the scope, at the height of the barrel. This doesn't mean a whole lot until you're talking about a big sight height (like a sniper rifle) or a short zero distance. The ACOG's 100 meter zero needs a DistanceZoom of 187 meters with the ballistics I've come up with.

If your Barret has its scope 3.5 inches above the barrel (what I've guessed for my upcoming ballistics mod), you'll have to set DistanceZoom to 519 for a 500 meter zero. That's for a airFriction value of 0.00055, like I suggested to you earlier. If you don't your point of impact will be 3.5 inches low at 500 yards. Yeah, yeah, it doesn't really matter, but I like things to be right. tounge2.gif

Woow... how do know all this, numbers, info and facts? rofl.gif

My head are spinning around here, to much numbers for me, he he

But how to u now the scope are 3.5 in high from the barrel?

Has the somthing with this nr to do Eye Relief (in) 3.7 (5.3)??

I like to have it 100% correct and realistic, he he

Thanks again smile_o.gif

@ NoWounderDog

Maybe you wanna take a look at all my values now, he he See if everything are correct?

The Scope:

//Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25x50mm LR/T M1 Rifle Scope (new data from NonWounderDog)

opticsZoomMin = 0.01000; // 25x Zoom

opticsZoomMax = 0.02941; // 8.5x Zoom

distanceZoomMin = 519; // 25x zeroed at 500m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

distanceZoomMax = 519; // 8.5x zeroed at 500m since the scope are 3.5 inches above the barrel

Ammo:

//-----------------------------------------------------//

// M33 Ball 12.7x99mm Ammo //

// Against light materiel targets //

// and personnel targets //

//-----------------------------------------------------//

class AMMOM82M33Ball: RAST_Bullet

{

hit = 26; //M33 Ball

indirectHit = 2;

indirectHitRange = 0.05;

airFriction = -0.0005500; // idea from NonWounderDog

tracerColor[] = {0.00000, 0.00000, 0.00000, 0.00000};

tracerColorR[] = {0.00000, 0.00000, 0.00000, 0.00000};

visibleFire = 18; // how much is visible when this weapon is fired

audibleFire = 18;

visibleFireTime = 1; // how long is it visible

typicalSpeed = 887;

timeToLive = 15;

};

Something else I have to adjust to make it perfect? biggrin_o.gif

Found this too:

Quote[/b] ]

airFriction

ArmA Array: 3 separate tokens, airFriction0[],airFriction1[],airFriction2[] that define the X Y and Z component respectively.

airFriction2[] = {25,12,2.500000};

The scope height is a guess. Since you modeled one, you could probably tell me the real answer by measuring the distance between the barrel and the scope on your model. tounge2.gif

The behavior is just a guess, too, and the distanceZoom values are figured with a ballistics calculator with that guess in mind. I might turn out to be wrong, but the zero point seems to be a lot closer to what it should be this way. Using the targetrange script, and firing a weapon with zero dispersion perfectly level, the bullet seems to consistently cross the plane of view too soon.

What I do know is that the M4 with ACOG shoots several meters too low at distance and 2-3 inches too low at 100 meters when the distanceZoom is set to 100 meters. I figured 187 from a ballistics calculator, and at that value my redone ACOG reticle coincidentally started working almost perfectly. Something fishy's going on, and being zeroed to barrel height instead of sight height seems to explain it.

I would take a second look at "typicalSpeed = 887". I think this controls the speed at which the bullet does full damage. I've been fiddling with this, but I can't quite figure out how damage is scaled. The damage formula seems to be something close to:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hit * bullet_speed_at_impact^2 / typicalSpeed^2

I have no idea what to change it to, though. It shouldn't make a huge difference with the .50 caliber ballistics, but it's really screwy when paired with realistic 5.56 ballistics. At normal settings, it was taking me 6-8 rounds to kill someone at 500 meters and ~500 m/s bullet speed.

Hi again smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

The scope height is a guess. Since you modeled one, you could probably tell me the real answer by measuring the distance between the barrel and the scope on your model. tounge2.gif

LOOOL rofl.gifrofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]

I would take a second look at "typicalSpeed = 887". I think this controls the speed at which the bullet does full damage. I've been fiddling with this, but I can't quite figure out how damage is scaled. The damage formula seems to be something close to:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">hit * bullet_speed_at_impact^2 / typicalSpeed^2

I have no idea what to change it to, though. It shouldn't make a huge difference with the .50 caliber ballistics, but it's really screwy when paired with realistic 5.56 ballistics. At normal settings, it was taking me 6-8 rounds to kill someone at 500 meters and ~500 m/s bullet speed.

For me it sound like that typical speed value has something with your hit damage 100%... if the bullet speed hit the target at 887m/s it's give hit=26; But if the speed goes below that the hit value goes below too. So if we set it to typicalspeed=120; than it will give hit=26; on that target too..

Quote[/b] ]

typicalSpeed

ArmA Integer

Description: hit value is valid when projectile moves at this speed. With lower speed the hit caused by the ammo is lower as well.

Can I try aiming with the good ol' Kentucky Windage?

Can I try aiming with the good ol' Kentucky Windage?

Hi smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Examples:

- So let's say you know that your shots hit about half a meter low at a distance of 500m. Easiest way to get the mil-adjustment is to think "0.5m / 0.5km" -> set elevation to 1mil.

- Your shots hit 0.3m low at 600m? Think "0.3m / 0.6km" -> set elevation to 0.5mil.

- On to a more complicated example: Let's say you wish to adjust windage for a vehicle moving in a perpendicular direction to you at about 50km/h and the distance is 300m. First of all keep in mind that 100km/h = 27.7˙m/s, so 50km/h equals roughly 14m/s. We're shooting a 7.62 NATO round so v0 ought to be about 840m/s with an m24 -> it will take the round about 0.35s to reach the target. During those 0.35s the vehicle will have moved about 5m (0.35s * 14m/s). To get the mil adjustment think "5m / 0.3km" -> set windage to about +/-17mil (+ or - depending on whether the vehicle moves from left to right or vice versa). This approximation should be good enough to get a good second hit probability. Want a first hit? Bring a calculator or a range card

by gmJamez

I haven't try that yet tounge2.gif I need some more cosmetic adjustment here on my rifle biggrin_o.gif But you can try that example above wink_o.gif

EDIT: About Enable adjustments only when using optics/sights.

I think I have see somewhere how u can add weapons into a script for checking if that weapon the user are firing with, somehow you can add. M107, M24 ................. Not sure where i did see that.. maybe i have that in my scripts for recognize the ammo for running tracer.

Correct, this is exactly what the script uses - a "fired" event handler where I can get the weapon and ammo used.

However I'd like to know whether the player is actually using the scope, so that the e.g. cursor keys would only work if I'm actually looking through the scope or down the sights.

... The clicks keep playing after you've reached max elevation, too, which is kind of annoying...

Bloody hell - that's what happens when you test a script with the sound turned off whistle.gif

Fixed in next version (had to code it differently though, since otherwise the event handler would pass the key back to the game once the adjustment limits have been reached and the player would suddenly start moving... now we don't want to move once we've set up or shot, right? tounge2.gif )

Regarding the adjustment limits: The idea was, that a max elevation would set the max e. to e.g. 70mil when in mil-mode and to 70MOA when in MOA-mode, not to 70°.

And regarding mil/MOA and conversion to deg: Yup, the code isn't quite right... will work on that after work.

PS: This is turning into some nice teamwork smile_o.gif

Hi gmJamez smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Correct, this is exactly what the script uses - a "fired" event handler where I can get the weapon and ammo used.

However I'd like to know whether the player is actually using the scope, so that the e.g. cursor keys would only work if I'm actually looking through the scope or down the sights.

Not sure if that is possible to recognize if you are using optics or just looking normal. Maybe do something in the script that recognize if a user press the "V" key (optics view) than it will activate the sight adjustment.. just an idea.

Another idea is to block max clicks on different weapons, so not an RPG can adjust to +70 MoA. Not sure how many clicks it's on different wapons. But the rifles with scope and we find out an default max/min adjustment.

So if a user use a M24, than the script will recognize that weapon at give max/min clicks for his scope. But how do we now that. We don't even now, what type of scope the ArmA M24 are using, hmm We just need to figures out what type of scope the army use with an M24. Maybe do a call, he he rofl.gif

Quote[/b] ]

Regarding the adjustment limits: The idea was, that a max elevation would set the max e. to e.g. 70mil when in mil-mode and to 70MOA when in MOA-mode, not to 70°.

And regarding mil/MOA and conversion to deg: Yup, the code isn't quite right... will work on that after work.

NonWounderDog came out with a fix for that limits adjustment. It's work now and i have my limit at +75-75 MoA and +70-70 MoA. smile_o.gif

Now i'm trying to make a range card for my rifle, but i really like to add that into the game as an User Action menu depend of what bullet type you are using biggrin_o.gif

Not sure if it's possible to load a image picture into the game, or maybe make it as an dialog.

Now i really need a new Sniper training map. Only a flat map 4000x4000m and 0.1 m over the sea so we can test our ballistic data, he he

Anyone like to make a map? he he

Quote[/b] ]

PS: This is turning into some nice teamwork smile_o.gif

Yeah..We are "The Realistic & Ballistic Team" It's funny and interesting to make ting more realistic and correct biggrin_o.gif

The settings are not stored by weapon, ie. if you configure an M24 and pick up a SAW later, the windage and elevation settings configured for the M24 will be used. Unfortunately I haven't found a way around the apparent engine limitation of not being able to either figure out which gun a unit is currently using or even finding nearby guns with the nearestObject functions.

_weaponb4 = primaryWeapon _unit

?(_weaponb4 _unit != primaryweapon _unit): goto "reset sights"

Am I out of my own league here? Or..

(Dunno how this goes with the grenade launcher bug (muzzles))?

edit: what happened to my SIG? crazy_o.gifrofl.gif

both the ArmA M24 and M107 is using a fix 10x power scope as in most of them IRL

both the ArmA M24 and M107 is using a fix 10x power scope as in most of them IRL

Thanks 4 In 1 smile_o.gif

But do you now what the max/min elevation and windage is on those scope? Can't see what type they use in ArmA tounge2.gif

Thanks

i will try to find out but only after work, might be a few hours later

update:

offical scope for the M24 Leupold Mark 4 10x40mm LR/T M3

75 MOA each for windage and elevation adjustment

Leupold offical website also say each click adjust 1/2-MOA windage and 1-MOA elevation

i will try to find out but only after work, might be a few hours later

update:

offical scope for the M24 Leupold Mark 4 10x40mm LR/T M3

75 MOA each for windage and elevation adjustment

Leupold offical website also say each click adjust ½-MOA windage and 1-MOA elevation

Thanks i will write it down wink_o.gif

Some info for M24 Scope:

Mark 4 10x40mm LR/T M3

Length (A) 13.1 in

Tube Length (B) 6.1 in

© 2.3 in

(D) 2.2 in

Eyepiece Length (E) 2.7 in

Objective Length (F) 4.3 in

Objective Diameter (G) 2.0 in

Eyepiece Diameter (H) 1.7 in

Tube Diameter (I) 30 mm

Actual Magnification — (10.0)

FOV @ 100 yds (ft) — (11.1)

FOV @ 100 m (m) — (3.7)

Eye Relief (in) — (3.4)

Eye Relief (mm) — (86)

Obj. Clear Aperture 1.6 in / 40 mm

Weight 21.0 oz / 595 g

Elevation Adj. Range (MOA) 75

Windage Adj. Range (MOA) 52

Thanks again for the info smile_o.gif

Need too find out for M21 and those other sniper rifle here in ArmA smile_o.gif

i got a reads about the ART scope used on the M21, sadly its all in Chinese(you got to love those Chinese guns nuts biggrin_o.gif )

M25 is using Leupold VariX-III LR M3 however, info should be all over the place

M14 DMR, USMC choose adjectable Leupold Mk4 M3(3.5~10× 40mm it seems) instead of the Unert 10x fix scope they used to have on the M40A3

Mk-11 uses Leupold Vari-X 3.5-10x(but i might be wrong)

XM110 SASS comes with 3.5~10× 40mm Leupold LR M3

MK-12 SPR have different scope being used,

3.5~10× 40mm Leupold LR M3

2.5~9× 36mm TS-30

3~9× 36mm TS-30 A2

civilian clone are seen using Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 3~9× 36 most of the time

ALL depented on shooter perference

I humbly request that you offer this to the ACE (Advanced Combat Environment) team to be included in the total conversion mod.  This needs to be a standard issue feature.   smile_o.gif

Edit: Does anyone know if variables or labeled values are allowed in the weapons config? It would be nice for all this info, plus more to be placed in the weapon itself for use with scripting.

i got a reads about the ART scope used on the M21, sadly its all in Chinese(you got to love those Chinese guns nuts biggrin_o.gif )

M14 DMR, USMC choose adjectable Leupold Mk4 M3(3.5~10× 40mm it seems) instead of the Unert 10x fix scope they used to have on the M40A3

2.5~9× 36mm TS-30

3~9× 36mm TS-30 A2

Thanks alot 4 In 1 for this usefully info. Now we hope we can get those scripts to recognize those weapons to add a limit of Mil and MoA max/min adjustments smile_o.gif Another problem is to figured out how much adjustment there is in a AK47, RPG and those other weapons without scope confused_o.gif Maybe someone have one of those in the garage, he he rofl.gif

Thanks again smile_o.gif

2.5~9× 36mm TS-30

3~9× 36mm TS-30 A2

Thanks alot 4 In 1 for this usefully info. Now we hope we can get those scripts to recognize those weapons to add a limit of Mil and MoA max/min adjustments smile_o.gif Another problem is to figured out how much adjustment there is in a AK47, RPG and those other weapons without scope  confused_o.gif  Maybe someone have one of those in the garage, he he  rofl.gif

Thanks again smile_o.gif

weapons like AKs sights are using preset range instead of accrate but ulter complex mil-dot system, PSO scope also came with preset rangefinder and stuff which are effective to range above 1k (while if the bullet could hit target at range dead on is another story, a well made AK family rifle could do a 1MOA)

Here are the scopes on the M24, M107, and Mark 12 Mod 0/1 SPR.

The SPR uses a Leupold Mark 4 MR/T 3–9×36 illuminated scope according to Wikipedia, but that scope and the one I linked to are exactly the same scope, with an actual magnification of 3-8.7x. This scope has a BDC knob at the eyepiece instead of parallax adjustment, too, which would be interesting to have in game. Many snipers can, of course, choose their own scopes, but these seem to be the ones in ArmA.

Careful when talking about MOA accuracy of rifles, though. While there are "AK style" weapons that can reach 1 MOA, none of them are AKs. The SVD can only barely shoot 1 MOA with match grade ammo (of which the new Russian sniper ammo is apparently spectacular--better than American M118LR). I wouldn't expect any more than 4 MOA at best from an AK-47 or AK-74 with military-grade ammunition. The M4 shoots 4 MOA, for comparison, and an M16 shoots 2.5 MOA or so. You can buy an AR-15 that will supposedly shoot 1 MOA with match grade ammo, but military-grade weapons and ammo aren't that accurate.

I think, unless I'm reading the value wrong, that all the dispersion values in ArmA are about 2x too high. I'm currently looking into this, but it does seem a bit too hard to hit a 500 meter target with an M16 by default.

Bad news about the windage adjustment: it only works when facing north. When facing south, it's backwards. When facing east or west, it doesn't work at all.

I'm pretty sure that this also means that elevation doesn't work correctly unless you're aiming level with the ground.

It's going to take a lot of trigonometry to fix this, meh. You're going to have to convert the direction into spherical coordinates, add your angle, and then convert it back to vector form. I think I've got a method that will work, hold on...

Cracked it!

SightAdjustmentOnFired:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">#include <SightAdjustmentConfig.h>

private ["_bullet", "_speed", "_dir", "_dirang", "_vel", "_w", "_e"];

//player sideChat (format ["%1, %2, %3, %4, %5", _this select 0, _this select 1, _this select 2, _this select 3, _this select 4]);

if(primaryWeapon (_this select 0) != (_this select 1)) exitWith { false };

_bullet = nearestobject [_this select 0, _this select 4];

#ifdef GMJ_SA_USEMIL

_w = GMJ_SA_CURWINDAGE * 180/pi;

_e = GMJ_SA_CURELEVATION * 180/pi;

#endif

#ifdef GMJ_SA_USEMOA

_w = GMJ_SA_CURWINDAGE;

_e = GMJ_SA_CURELEVATION;

#endif

_speed = (speed _bullet) / 3.6;

_dir = vectorDir _bullet; // (x,z,y) components on a sphere of radius 1, treat as (y,x,-z)

// convert to (bearing,elevation) coordinates, zero as (north,down)

_dirang = [(_dir select 0) atan2 (_dir select 1), sqrt((_dir select 1)^2+(_dir select 0)^2) atan2 -(_dir select 2)];

_dirang = [(_dirang select 0) + _w, (_dirang select 1) + _e];

_dir = [sin(_dirang select 1) * sin(_dirang select 0), sin(_dirang select 1) * cos(_dirang select 0), -cos(_dirang select 1)];

_vel = [(_dir select 0) * _speed, (_dir select 1) * _speed, (_dir select 2) * _speed];

_bullet setVelocity _vel;

_bullet setVectorDir _dir;

// sync mp

_bullet setPos getPos _bullet;

This assumes you're using my other tweaks as well. There may be...problems...if you somehow aim straight up or down, but that shouldn't ever happen.