Sign in to follow this  
gmJamez

SightAdjustment (windage+elevation)

Sorry to dig this up, but I have found that when using this addon 6thSense tracers stop working for small arms confused_o.gif

Tracers still work with things like miniguns, vehicle MGs, etc but M4s, M240, M249, etc stop working. Has anyone noticed this and does some skilled person have any idea how to fix it?

Cheers.

Don't have that problem myself. Neither does anyone in my clan that I know of. We do have a few issues that I'm still working out, but nothing game breaking.

The extended eventhandlers question above is probably the source of the problem.

Edit:

Oh, make sure that you're using the sight adjustment autoinit which comes with the extended eventhandlers package.

Guys sorry for being a complete noob, but is there anywhere a finished rangecard_XXX.txt that only has to be put in @GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons and viola.....

@CSL: thanks mate, seems the sight adjustment autoinit from the extended eventhandlers package works perfectly but the seperate download doesn't, or something I had in the mod folder was conflicting - all fixed now.

@www2: if you are using NWD_Ballistics I can give you a link to my range cards if you want.

Mate I would apretiate (sp) that allot, since I am a noob when it comes to Arma and am not even certain how would i go on by creating my own rangecards.

Another bugfix:

In the config.cpp, remove this line:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

sounds[] = {};

It should look like this:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">

class CfgSounds {

class GMJ_SightAdjustmentClick {

name = "";

sound[] = {"\GMJ_SightAdjustment\sound\click.ogg", 1, 1};

titles[] = {};

};

};

Having that line in there in an addon breaks the sounds of any other addon that uses the CfgSounds section. Example, the attach satchels to vehicle mod.

Another bugfix:

In the config.cpp, remove this line:

sounds[] = {};

It should look like this:

class CfgSounds {

class GMJ_SightAdjustmentClick {

name = "";

sound[] = {"\GMJ_SightAdjustment\sound\click.ogg", 1, 1};

titles[] = {};

};

};

Having that line in there in an addon breaks the sounds of any other addon that uses the CfgSounds section. Example, the attach satchels to vehicle mod.

The config I have already has the CfhSounds section in.

I know, you're removing a line, not adding a new one.

Yea but it didn't have "sounds[]={}" either.

That's interesting. Mine did, and I'm positive I'm running the latest version. Maybe someone else did this bugfix and distributed it previously, I dunno.

That's interesting. Mine did, and I'm positive I'm running the latest version. Maybe someone else did this bugfix and distributed it previously, I dunno.

I think this version may have come with one of NWD's things

@CSL:

Is there a chance to see a new PBO with all the fixes?

/KC

How hard would it be to have the 20mm bullets fired from the M197 on the Cobra to be affected by this addon?  Also, is anybody designing a FCS for the Cobra, along the same lines as NWD's FCS for the Abrams?    pistols.gif  nener.gif

if you're making a new release with XEH support and all, maybe you should add my displayeventhandler into it aswell, so it won't conflict with other key binding addons?

once i get it made, probably by some time next week

How hard would it be to have the 20mm bullets fired from the M197 on the Cobra to be affected by this addon?

It would be pretty easy. The thing is that a cobra's guns don't work quite like that, so it wouldn't be right at all. A dedicated attack helicopter FCS addon would be the way to go.

The incorrect zeros are due to the NWD ballistics. I don't care to speculate on what caused the error on his end, but he obviously put more effort into zeroing the sniper rifles than he did the other rifles. Still, the spr and 107 zeros are off by about 50 meters.

Huh?

The M16 should be zeroed at 300 m. The M16 with an ACOG scope should be zeroed at 100 m.

The raw values I used are 322 m for the naked M16 and 189 m for the M16 with an ACOG. These are corrected for sight offset, since ArmA zeros weapons with respect to the barrel instead of with respect to the sights.

I'm 100% positive that the M16+ACOG combination is zeroed correctly, down to nearly the inch at every distance marked on the sights. The naked M16 might be a bit off, but it's not zeroed to 100 m.

This is what I've got in my spreadsheet. This is from range test data I found online:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Range (m) Offset (in) Correction (MoA)

0 -2.5

50 1.62

100 4.51 -3.94

150 6

200 5.94 -2.59

250 4.01

300 0 0.00

350 -6.31

400 -15.52 3.39

450 -28.15

500 -44.33 7.74

550 -64.98

600 -91.12 13.26

650 -123.12

700 -162.29 20.24

750 -209.37

800 -265.06 28.93

850 -329.71

900 -403.9 39.19

950 -488.23

1000 -582.68 50.88

Here's the data I recorded in ArmA with my ballistics. This is from one shot, not averaged. ArmA has trouble simulating very-high velocity bullets, so it's a bit high past 600 m. I assumed that the ~0.8 inch error at 300 meters was dispersion (which I forgot to disable), but even without correcting for that the data matches to better than 1 MoA out to 600 m:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Range (m) Path (m) Offset (in) Correction (MoA)

0.00 0.52 -2.50

56.00 0.63 1.83

109.00 0.70 4.59 -3.67

158.00 0.73 5.77

203.00 0.72 5.37 -2.31

268.00 0.64 2.22

309.00 0.54 -1.71 0.48

368.00 0.33 -9.98

409.00 0.12 -18.25 3.90

466.00 -0.25 -32.81

502.00 -0.55 -44.63 7.76

553.00 -1.06 -64.70

601.00 -1.65 -87.93 12.78

661.00 -2.55 -123.37

704.00 -3.32 -153.68 19.06

756.00 -4.43 -197.38

806.00 -5.67 -246.20 26.67

852.00 -7.04 -300.14

906.00 -8.89 -372.97 35.95

958.00 -10.94 -453.68

1005.00 -13.13 -539.90 46.91

1051.00 -15.54 -634.78

1102.00 -18.62 -756.04 59.90

1158.00 -22.58 -911.95

1202.00 -26.18 -1053.68 76.53

1252.00 -30.70 -1231.63

1304.00 -36.23 -1449.35 97.03

1354.00 -42.19 -1684.00

1400.00 -48.60 -1936.36 120.72

1455.00 -57.14 -2272.58

1501.00 -65.36 -2596.20 150.93

To be perfectly honest, I didn't check the iron sights for alignment. It might be that the sights are pointing a bit high. I used weaponDirection to align the barrel with the x-y plane and fired when I took this data, so if the iron sights are correct, this is what should happen.

Anyway, since you're working on this... do you have any will to add ranges to the adjustment text? My idea a while ago was to make the mod read from the range card files and show adjustment as

300 m

300 m +1 MoA

400 m -1 MoA

400 m

400 m +1 MoA

400 m +2 MoA

500 m -1 MoA

etc...

instead of the current behavior. This would be ideal for just about everything but the M107, since the M16, KSVK, SVD, SPR, and M24 all use adjustments that are graduated in MoA or mils but marked in meters.

Separate min and max adjustment ranges would be good, too, but I'd probably have to put out a new version of my ballistics mod to keep compatibility. I need to figure out how to put out a signed version anyway, so don't worry about that.

I'm not sure about the zero on the ACOG scope, as it's not adjustable, I didn't test it for elevation adjustment purposes. I am positive about the m-16 with ironsights though

To be perfectly honest, I didn't check the iron sights for alignment. It might be that the sights are pointing a bit high. I used weaponDirection to align the barrel with the x-y plane and fired when I took this data, so if the iron sights are correct, this is what should happen.

This is probably exactly what caused the error. Alignment to the barrel is irrelevant. Well, it could be used, except that you have to know the distance from the barrel to the sights and do some fancy trig. As far as ironsights go, this is especially going to be a problem on the m-16 and m-4 family, because the sights are just so high off the barrel.

What I think what I'm going to do is add an offset property to the BI weapons and zero them on this end. It would probably be a lot easier than modifying the ballistics. Basically, it would be like taking a weapon to the range and zeroing it. The only real difference is that I've got to do it with code. As far as releasing this though, I'm not entirely sure how to go about it, as the offests are for your ballistics in conjunction with this addon. Maybe I'll see about sending a modified version of your addon along to you with the new properties already attached? I'm not sure.

As far as graduating the weapons differently, I think I can do that. It would be kind of a pain in the ass though, but I don't mind that too much. The current bugfixed version is basically ready for release. I just need S_Hole to send me the the stuff for the key eventhandler, implement that, and release. Once there's actually a stable version released that won't crash your computer, and glitch out, I'll see about doing some requests in this vein.

Also, since I've got your attention, I'd like to bring up the point of accuracy for the machine guns. IMHO, single shot accuracy is way too low on these weapons. Their dispersion at 500m is incredible, considering that they're supposed to be good for a point target out to 600-800 meters. With the current dispersion, they're good for an *area* target in the vicinity of 500 meters, while a point target is largely luck based at that range. Currently, it feels like your barrel badly needs to be replaced.

BTW, signing is easy wink_o.gif.

Anyways, I'll PM you my contact info here.

I've just tested the M16, and it seems to be zeroed to 300 meters to me. How are you framing the target? The sights don't seem to be lined up quite correctly in the aperture (and it's not using the right aperture, either), but if I align a 300 meter target with the top of the center post, I hit it.

[EDIT]

Aligning to the barrel and aligning to the sights is irrelevant in ArmA if the sights are centered correctly. The view direction while aiming is the same direction used by the firing code for every weapon I've looked at (although the bullet direction is modified by zero distance). The sight offset doesn't make a difference, either, since I corrected for that when I zeroed the weapons. (Hence the 322 m zero distance instead of 300 m--when zeroed to the barrel at 322 m, the bullet is 2.5 inches above the barrel at 300 m. The sights on an M16 are 2.5 inches above the barrel, so this is the proper zero.)

The only thing that would make a difference is if the iron sights model isn't properly centered in the screen while aiming. I just checked the model BIS released, and... yeah, it's a little bit off. The eye level is set to halfway between the top of the front post and the center of the the aperture. But that should mean that the gun shoots high if you use the top of the front post to aim, like I do...

I could actually tighten up the aperture, move the camera closer to the sights, and center the front post if I wanted to. I just wish ArmA allowed custom weapon animations.

but if I align a 300 meter target with the top of the center post, I hit it.

What this tells me is that you're probably not aiming at a small enough target. If you aim at the base of a popup target (the white part), you will keep hitting the dirt until you dial in +2 moa on an m-16 A2. This is with the expected aim point right on the tip of the front post.

Aligning to the barrel and aligning to the sights is irrelevant in ArmA if the sights are centered correctly. The view direction while aiming is the same direction used by the firing code for every weapon I've looked at (although the bullet direction is modified by zero distance). The sight offset doesn't make a difference, either, since I corrected for that when I zeroed the weapons. (Hence the 322 m zero distance instead of 300 m--when zeroed to the barrel at 322 m, the bullet is 2.5 inches above the barrel at 300 m. The sights on an M16 are 2.5 inches above the barrel, so this is the proper zero.)

The only thing that would make a difference is if the iron sights model isn't properly centered in the screen while aiming. I just checked the model BIS released, and... yeah, it's a little bit off. The eye level is set to halfway between the top of the front post and the center of the the aperture. But that should mean that the gun shoots high if you use the top of the front post to aim, like I do...

I could actually tighten up the aperture, move the camera closer to the sights, and center the front post if I wanted to. I just wish ArmA allowed custom weapon animations.

I'm going to take a look at something here, as your current description I think reveals exactly what the problem is. I'll post back when done.

How is it going CSL, still beta testing?

/KC

I use gmJamez' "Sight Adjustment" with add on files:GMJ_SightAdjustment.pbo & SghtAdjustment_AutoInit.pbo and the Solus' and Killswitch's "Extended Event Handlers (XEH)" Extended_Eventhandlers.pbo.

When I start a new mission the Sight Adjustment option is available. When I load a saved mission the Sight Adjustment option disappeared.

The same thing happens with s_Hole's "Fixed Range Nightvision" with add on file S_NVG.pbo. In a new mission, no problem but when reloading a save game the NVG option is gone.

Other MOD's no problem so far.

Weird!!

Any ideas?

I use ArmA plus QG and the latest Patch 1.14

Windows XP SP3

weapon configuration

The weapons can be configured by changing a few parameters within the weapon's class by editing the file "config.cpp" of this mod ("GMJ_SightAdjustment\config.cpp") or any other mod. To do that, you have to unpbo the mod, edit the file and pbo it once again.

Two setups are included - using mil mode (= mil dots) and MOA mode (= minute of angle).

[*] Switch between mil and MOA mode by changing the GMJ_SA_mode parameter. Supported values are "MIL" and "MOA".

e.g. GMJ_SA_mode = "MOA";

I can't get it to work - can't switch from MOA to MIL. I did excactly as per instructions but still no effect. Can someone help me with this?