Sign in to follow this  
Yossarian

Rifles as Secondary Weapon

Have you played Number 2 or 3!!!!! You must be kidding me. COD 2/3 are one of the most realistic games I've played for PS2.

Thats all well and good, except for the fact the purpose of this topic isn't discuss whether COD1/2/3/4/17 are good games or whether or not they are infact realistic. The topic is about discussing the implementation of being able to carry two rifles (or one rifle and a submachinegun - whatever). The point is you guys are dragging an otherwise worthy idea towards the city of locked topics.

So, it might be an idea to try and examine how Kyle Sarnik added the second rifle scripts etc into OFP (check out THIS PACK).

Excellent! Thank you very much Jackel. I will have a look at that for sure. biggrin_o.gif

I will also go through some configs and see if I can add a new weapon class to ArmA.

guys, I'm just trying to add something to this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my question:

Anybody have any thoughts about adding a new "Class" of weapon? Has this ever been done? Does anybody know where the weapon classes are defined in ArmA?

I know where you're heading with this but I dunno the answer

as yet. I intend to look into this too before very long as a

way of having more "weapon holding anims".

In the meantime you could look for some of the "two rifles"

schemes that were released for OFP - they might be easily

converted for use in ArmA. Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice that

others have suggested this already (great minds think

alike! wink_o.gif )

Having two weapons opens up lots of useful possibilities and

the arguments about when/where/by whom it is done are not

really relevant to the thread topic. however, I must say that

the notion of WW2 combat infantrymen (not snipers) carrying

both an M1 rifle and a Tommy gun is hilarious..more

please    rofl.gif  I might have to disabuse this by posting an

itemised list of the typical bollox they had to carry if this

goes on much more.

Have you played Number 2 or 3!!!!! You must be kidding me. COD 2/3 are one of the most realistic games I've played for PS2.

I based my post off COD2 for the PC, as I havn't played the others in a long time. From what I understand COD3 is just a glorified COD2 put on the consoles, with different levels and not much else.

The point is still the same. If you source whether WW2 soldiers carried 2 weapons or not on COD games, then surely that means that in reality you can run forever without getting exhausted, kill someone with a single strike of your rifle butt, and recover from any type of wound in the space of 5 seconds if you hide round a corner during a fire fight.

Aswell as carry a 4.32 kg Garand, 200 rounds of 7.62mm ammo, a 8.8 kg BAR, and a further 200 rounds of 7.62mm, this time in box mags. Added onto that the seemingly endless supply of TNT, 4 hand grenades, 4 smoke grenades, and all the gear you would be carrying in reality. Oh, and binoculars.

They may be the most realistic games you've played for PS2, but that doesn't nessesarily make them realistic. The most realistic game I've ever played for the GameCube was Super Monkey Ball. See my point?

guys, I'm just trying to add something to this game. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my question:

Anybody have any thoughts about adding a new "Class" of weapon? Has this ever been done? Does anybody know where the weapon classes are defined in ArmA?

I know where you're heading with this but I dunno the answer

as yet. I intend to look into this too before very long as a

way of having more "weapon holding anims".

In the meantime you could look for some of the "two rifles"

schemes that were released for OFP - they might be easily

converted for use in ArmA. Edit: Sorry, I didn't notice that

others have suggested this already (great minds think

alike! wink_o.gif )

Having two weapons opens up lots of useful possibilities and

the arguments about when/where/by whom it is done are not

really relevant to the thread topic. however, I must say that

the notion of WW2 combat infantrymen (not snipers) carrying

both an M1 rifle and a Tommy gun is hilarious..more

please rofl.gif I might have to disabuse this by posting an

itemised list of the typical bollox they had to carry if this

goes on much more.

@Greg: That isn't the topic of this thread. Continue it elsewhere please. threadjacked.gif

Thanks Faulkner. I downloaded the mod for OFP which made 2 guns possible. There's a lot in there to get my head around, but I think I'm making sense of it. Let me know if you find out where the weapon Classes are defined.

@Greg: That isn't the topic of this thread. Continue it elsewhere please. threadjacked.gif

Sorry, went off topic a bit there.

Anyway, I think it would be a good idea overall for a modern setting.

Like i said i made one just after 1.08 but i could not add half mags so i did not release it.

The problem is when you start you have say 3 m107 mags and 3 m14sd mags . 3 for each gun, when you switch from m14sd to m107 ,but you must remove the real gun each time in order to place the fake and so take the magazine inside the gun too ,so the unit loses a mag everytime , its easy to add a mag everytime but that way the unit gets a full mag instead of the half shot one.

if there is a nice easy counttype or similar script i would add it but i am too busy in rl.

Here is a video of how it looked

Greg, you could always start a new thread in the offtopic bit. It might be fun to dissect these other games a bit.

OFP2: Very Impressive!!! notworthy.gif

How did you manage to do that? PM sent. wink_o.gif

Very impressive indeed, though I'm noticing the apparnetly mandatory switch to the kneeling stance to switch weapons. A side affect of using the secondary weapon slot I imagine.

Is it worth submitting this as an enhancement request to BIS,

I wonder? They did increase the number of inventory slots in

response to "community prompting". A feature like this would

open up lots of interesting new options.

Like i said i made one just after 1.08 but i could not add half mags so i did not release it.

The problem is when you start you have  say 3 m107 mags and 3 m14sd mags . 3 for each gun, when you switch from m14sd to m107 ,but you must remove the real gun each time in order to place the fake and so take the magazine inside the gun too ,so the unit loses a mag everytime , its easy to add a mag everytime but that way the unit gets a full mag instead of the half shot one.

if there is a nice easy counttype or similar script i would add it but i am too busy in rl.

Here is a video of how it looked

This is really good stuff.

It's a shame you can't finish a good addon..

It would be great in *all* missions...

smile_o.gif

Very impressive indeed, though I'm noticing the apparnetly mandatory switch to the kneeling stance to switch weapons. A side affect of using the secondary weapon slot I imagine.

The kneeling is my fault ,i added wrong anim it can be fixed easily now the biki has been updated .

Quote[/b] ]OFP2: Very Impressive!!! notworthy.gif

How did you manage to do that? PM sent.

I shall clean up the config and scripts send it to you sometime today , you can see if it is posssible to fix the magazine loadout problem and maybe workout a way to config a new weapon (highly doubted) .

from the wiki

Quote[/b] ]

The amount of weapons (and magazines) that can be carried by the 'man' is deternmined by #weaponSlots

The names M21, Carhorn etc are external references to the cfgWeapons / cfgMagazines classes

Soldier: 1 + 4 + 12*256 + 2*4096 + 2 + 8*16; // all soldiers/civilians

Medic : 1 + 4 + 8*256 + 2*4096 + 2 + 4*16;

weaponSlots = ;

1 = primary weapon

2 = handgun slot

4 = secondary weapon (launcher)or (fake rifle)

16 = handgun magazines (8x)(or grenades for M203/GP-25)

256 = magazine slots (12x / 8x for medics)

4096 = goggle slot (2x)

Quote[/b] ]Like i said i made one just after 1.08 but i could not add half mags so i did not release it.

The problem is when you start you have say 3 m107 mags and 3 m14sd mags . 3 for each gun, when you switch from m14sd to m107 ,but you must remove the real gun each time in order to place the fake and so take the magazine inside the gun too ,so the unit loses a mag everytime , its easy to add a mag everytime but that way the unit gets a full mag instead of the half shot one.

Funnily enough I've been playing around with a scripted variation of this the last few days and hit the same issue, the only thing I could think of was to ammo count the rounds left and add this to an array then when the number gets to the same as a full mag remove a magazine, it does require a number to begin with though of how many rounds should be there and will fall over if the player picks up a different gun but it should stop the player getting infinite ammo and for my purposes it's fine. Shame you can't add partial magazines though...

Great news OFP2. Thanks very much! Can't wait to see how you did it. banghead.gif

Hi, when i bought the ArmA, i though that we could carry a side

weapon (pistol/revolver), a support weapon (SMG/Shotgun), a

heavy weapon (Stinger/AT4/Javelin) and the main weapon (whatever).

But i was wrong... even when in the real life you can see the machinegunner

carrying his M249, an AT4 and the M249 ammo & the patrol pack.

I don't know why we can't, for me there's no reason of such thing;

but i think that we should be able to at least, carry a SMG or a

Shotgun, as many marksmen do in the real life, and like many entry

units and SRT units do; even the combat divers. We should bore BIS

with this request and maybe someday we could have this usefull thing

in our game. Let's C ya

would be a nice feature, i loved the secondary rifle script in ofp, used it a few times too in missions smile_o.gif my friend loved being a sniper but now he even liked being a sniper when he got to carry a mp5 too biggrin_o.gif for when he ran out of sniper ammo and the enemies got closer n closer pistols.gif

Looks exactly like my old OFP 2nd rifle thing, no doubt you're using the same method. However OFP's scripting was a lot less capable than ArmA's, I think it might be possible to take it a few steps further than what was possible in ArmA. Here's a question for you though, did you have to edit the models to get them to be positioned correctly when placed in the launcher proxy, because if not then it makes things so much easier.

hmm was yours the version with logics ?

no positioning needed . just created new custom launcher in config and pathed the model to the sniper rifle Then same for m14sd and switched them around with 2 addactions primary1 select weapon m14sd and primary2 select weapon m107 .

If you made one in ofp and this sounds similar to your method are going to make now KS can you say because i have a lot of rl stuff and you obviously know the score would be better if just one version comes out and saves me messing about, also did you manage to sort the magazine problem in your ofp version ?

Looks exactly like my old OFP 2nd rifle thing, no doubt you're using the same method. However OFP's scripting was a lot less capable than ArmA's, I think it might be possible to take it a few steps further than what was possible in ArmA. Here's a question for you though, did you have to edit the models to get them to be positioned correctly when placed in the launcher proxy, because if not then it makes things so much easier.

Well, that wouldn't be possible without reverse engineering the models to MLOD format (unless he went through the log-ass procedure of using 3DX Ripper to "rip" the models and made a config for them as well as added the missing lods etc), so maybe its possible without editing the models themselves?

if the weapons arent positioned correctly on the back using the law slot he just simply used the path to the original model for the dummy weapon....

you know you can also reconfig vbs1 p3ds if you know ther pbo path...

Well, that wouldn't be possible without reverse engineering the models to MLOD format (unless he went through the log-ass procedure of using 3DX Ripper to "rip" the models and made a config for them as well as added the missing lods etc), so maybe its possible without editing the models themselves?

Maybe he spoke to bxbx, IIRC he was able to decode the M16A4.

No I just tried it myself and the weapon models are indeed positioned so that they work correctly in the secondary weapon proxy, the only question I have is how he got rid of the muzzle flash. There are still problems with using this method that might be impossible to fix, for example still being able to fire the weapon while it's on your back, and switching the weapons automatically reloads them.

Quote[/b] ]If you made one in ofp and this sounds similar to your method are going to make now KS can you say because i have a lot of rl stuff and you obviously know the score would be better if just one version comes out and saves me messing about, also did you manage to sort the magazine problem in your ofp version ?

It's possible that I might pick it up again since it works better in ArmA than it did in OFP, but I do have real life commitments too. If you want to start a cooperative project or something feel free to contact me, or if I start another 2nd rifle project you're welcome to help me, but who knows when that will be. Anyway, if I were to create an addon it would be like the one I did in OFP where any other addon maker could use the scripts with their own addons and create weapons and units compatable with the system (so you could combine weapons from different addons, etc...).

m24_secondary.jpg

After a bit of messing around, I got this. I know it has probably been done before. I made a new version of the m24 in AimPoints' DesWeapons addon and a new magazine type. The m24 takes the secondary weapon slot, while the m4 takes the primary. Disadvantage is that you now can't take a pistol also.

As far as I can see, it's works perfectly. Only problem is that it is in the wrong position.

So is there any way to bring the position of the model down a bit from the config?