Sign in to follow this  
sputnik monroe

Airshows

Ok two MiG 21 Fishbeds blew over my apartment. This is beyond unusuall this is like once in a life time for where I live.

Shin Raiden I know you live in western Washington as well, do you know if there is a air show going on some where this week?

It was very strange I mean I heard loud roaring jet engines and could tell by the sound it was military so I ran out on the balcony looked up and squinted expecting to see an F18 or F16 and what do I see? Two MiG 21s it made me do a double take.

I know this is very offtopic but please I implore you, please don't close this until Shin can answer it.

Also I'll try to get some photos with my digital camera if they fly by again and post him here if it is not closed.

You know, I have a funny feeling that this is what PMs were made for...

Well, if it's closed, we DO have a photography topic. tounge2.gif

Here's a rather good list of airshows, and here's another one. Most notable fitting th time scheme seem to Fairchild AFB Open House and Arlington EAA Fly-in.

A pair of Fishbeds... damn you. Damn you. DAMN YOU. huh.gif

Fairchild is on the other end of the state from me and across a mountain range heh heh.

Thanks for the airshow links I'll check through them.

Quote[/b] ]A pair of Fishbeds... damn you. Damn you. DAMN YOU.

I thought you guys still flew some in Finland? Have you completely replaced them now?

Quote[/b] ]You know, I have a funny feeling that this is what PMs were made for...

Yeah you are probably right, I was a bit excited at the time.

Perhaps a moderator could rename the thread to "The Airshow thread" or "MiG 21 thread"?

Edit*Thanks Scorpy thanks to the site with the calendar it would seem there is a airshow in Arlington starting today and ending Sunday. That's about 100 mile drive but I might try to check it out. There is supposed to also be a large classic military vehicle gathering as well so it could be fun. I haven't been to an airshow in years I miss them.*

Nah, we retired them in the late 90s. I've only seen static examples. From very close though, but still, static.

Sorry, I moved out of commie-land. Most likely Arlington, it's the only airshow of any size on the mossy side. Fairchild used to have some until a nutter sideslipped a B-52 into the pavement. There's also a genuiney ex-CZ MiG-21 parked at Jet Chevrolet off I-5 between Fife and Federal Way, just north of Wild Waves.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF....19&om=1

Quote[/b] ]Sorry, I moved out of commie-land. Most likely Arlington, it's the only airshow of any size on the mossy side. Fairchild used to have some until a nutter sideslipped a B-52 into the pavement. There's also a genuiney ex-CZ MiG-21 parked at Jet Chevrolet off I-5 between Fife and Federal Way, just south of Wild Waves.

Yeah I'm pretty sure they must be from the airshow in Arlington. Thanks to the two links scorpion posted I found out they have an airshow starting today and ending on the 14th.

I've seen the Chevrolet dealers Czech MiG-21 a few times to heh heh.

So you left the "left" coast or just Seattle?

Went to Duxford at the weekend, got some great videos of the b17 flying 40ft overhead tounge2.gif

I've been to duxford befor.The only place in england you'll see US "flying boat" actualy in the air. I give that place 10/10.

Went to Duxford at the weekend, got some great videos of the b17 flying 40ft overhead  tounge2.gif

Alway's wanted to go there, just too far away. Closest airshow to me is RAF Leuchar's near Dundee, pity it isn't on this year. I have a few photo's from RAF Leuchar's 2005, I may put some of them up in the photography thread but they are not great quality. However there is one good photo that I took by accident of a Harrier hovering over the Union Jack.

I went fishing along the Shrewsbury Canal today when some sort of Russian WW2 fighter plane flew over, really low; little over tree-top level. It was a pretty spectacular sight to be honest.

I'm not sure exactly what type it was though, from the wing-profile I reckon it was one of the Lavochkin series of fighters.

I know RIAT was on at Fairford today, anyone know of a similar aircraft that attended and could tell me exactly what it was? Or if there was such a type at Duxford since it probably attended that, given it's era.

Just returned from RIAT at Fairford today - rather spiffing If I say so - bit of an airshow virgin, so was a good treat - alot of very interesting aircraft on show and flying around, the red arrows were spectacular, especially as the weather broke a little while before they came on, turning fairford into a 30 degree sauna for a while (my face is a wee bit red now)

the chinook display was incredible as always - the fact that you can throw something that big around with such agility is beyond me - amazing stuff.

too much to go on about, but was a great day smile_o.gif

I went fishing along the Shrewsbury Canal today when some sort of Russian WW2 fighter plane flew over, really low; little over tree-top level. It was a pretty spectacular sight to be honest.

I'm not sure exactly what type it was though, from the wing-profile I reckon it was one of the Lavochkin series of fighters.

I know RIAT was on at Fairford today, anyone know of a similar aircraft that attended and could tell me exactly what it was? Or if there was such a type at Duxford since it probably attended that, given it's era.

Given the plante list, Yak-52 is my best guess. They use them as aerobatics stuff, and they bear quite close resemblence to i.e. La-11. Saw a pair of them some weeks ago... amazing stuff.

A few weeks ago a group that has a B17 and the last flying B24 were flying around my hamlet and I took a few pictures. (There is another flying B24 but it's a transport version)

Sorry it's a bit of speck, I had to shrink the photo size to post. That and my camera doesn't have the worlds best zoom.

b244wf7.jpg

Here is a croped version from original size of the photo.

b242fa6.jpg

Later that day flying back from his bombing mission.

b243tn6.jpg

Here is the B17

b171lh5.jpg

Once again cropped from the original size of the photo.

b172ce1.jpg

On his way home later in the day.

b173ty5.jpg

It was very surprising when it happened. I heard those distinct Prat & Whitney engines and knew a vintage warbird had to be flying over, those old planes just have a soul to their sound that new turbo props don't have. I ran out on the balcony and there it was B17. I didn't have my camera on that first pass which is too bad as he flew very close.

Later I heard motors again and this time had the camera ready and ran out and saw the B24 and then shortly later the B17 passed by again.

One of my mom's best friend's is the daughter of the guy who kicked off the 'Candy Bombing' in the Berlin Blockade. He came up to visit his grandkid's for show and tell at their elementary school, except he showed up overhead in a DC-3 iirc. I don't think my mom got any pics though. crazy_o.gif

Just back from RIAT, was a good day, bit rainey at the start but it cleared up.

The Red Arrows put on thier best display I think, trying to beat the ThunderBirds( Who were rather..boring)

Went to Duxford the next day to have a look around the museam.

Quote[/b] ]I've been to duxford befor.The only place in england you'll see US "flying boat" actualy in the air. I give that place 10/10.

I got a flight in it when it was at my towns airshow. nener.gif

I got a flight in it when it was at my towns airshow.

Likewise, I done my work experience many years ago at duxford so I got a good showing inside and out of many aircraft, I gotta say the scariest point of it all was sitting in the Tornados cockpit and thinking that switching buttons in a "deactivated" aircraft was fun, until lights started blinking and I shat a brick.

Still, going to duxford in Semptember, got afew friends who pull security up there so I can blag a DX pass smile_o.gif

Just back from RIAT, was a good day, bit rainey at the start but it cleared up.

The Red Arrows put on thier best display I think, trying to beat the ThunderBirds( Who were rather..boring)

Went to Duxford the next day to have a look around the museam.

Quote[/b] ]I've been to duxford befor.The only place in england you'll see US "flying boat" actualy in the air. I give that place 10/10.

I got a flight in it when it was at my towns airshow. nener.gif

thunderbirds were boring as sin on saturday as well - bit of a flop, although the low clouds may have limited what they could do.

red arrows stole the show, but credit to the Italian guys with a formation take off and landing

I personally believe the italians put on a better display than the reds.

Thats the 2nd time I've seen the thunderbirds fly, same display. Except this time they obeyed the crowd line rules, in salthill they done fast passes right over the crowd and a split above the crowd...

Went to Lentäjien Juhannus on... juhannus (21st June), very nice display. Still haven't uploaded most of the pics, think I posted some though... Extra 300L, F-18 solo, 2 F-16 solos (Belgian and Dutch demo teams), some... other stuff. Group display was 4 Vinkas (light trainer... think of something between PC series and Cessna 182), a Hungarian Alpha Jet pair (saw them also practising... cool to have 4 jet engines roaring over at 15 m with smokes! biggrin_o.gif), Midnight Hawks (FAF display team, 4 Hawk Mk. 51s), Romanian Yak-52 pair and finishing the actual show but, Patrouille de France with their 25 min (IIRC) show. crazy_o.gif

Was supposed to visit RIAT/Duxford this year but partly money, partly no fun to go alone, so... confused_o.gif

Speaking of airshows...I would love to see this guy perform at an airshow.

Jet-man

I have seen people use rockets, but this guy seems to have strapped 4 model jet engines on some light-weight stubby wings. I can imagine the military would see great SF insertion possibilities with this.

Coolest thing I have seen in a while.

Hey maybe ill upload some pictures of the F-22 flying with the P-51 and the F-15 in formation. smile_o.gif

EDIT - Here's the pictures -

f22f15a10p51.jpg

DSCF3467.JPG

Except that the 2nd pic is hotlinked from here, atleast... the 2nd is an official USAF one, shot at Alaska.

Finnish style of celebrating Midnight Summer... F-18 with 4xHawk Mk. 51 in the form of Midnight Hawks. Pic taken at midnight with kit lense so...

kaukok1pe3.jpg