Sign in to follow this  
Sennacherib

climatic changes, what do you think about that?

i don't know what do you think about that? but for me, this is a real problem, not only for us but also for the other species.

I agree it is an issue, and all sides of politics should embrace it.

global warming is a fucking lie made up by stoopid redneck democrats like al gore and hilary clinton

they just make this BS up so they can say bush isn't doing jack shit bout it but it doesnt even exist

AND DONT TELL ME ABOUT THE POLAR BEARS

they prolly went to antartica with a blow dryer and melted some iceburgs

I just think its the earths natural cycle of stuff.

The world has gone through Ice ages and warm spells before.

The world is getting warmer, but Al Gore can't save you.

ok, first, do not use profanities.

second, don't turn this into a politics thread. I've seen enough of this discussion and how they ended up in other forums so don't try it. I will come down hard.

band.gif

Quote[/b] ]ok, first, do not use profanities.

second, don't turn this into a politics thread. I've seen enough of this discussion and how they ended up in other forums so don't try it. I will come down hard.

Unfortunate as it is, this has become a political issue. Nearly everything is political any more.

I've put forth my two cents on the issue already in my previous post and shall simply sit this one out and watch from the side line. I too have seen enough of this discussion to know it will turn ugly real soon, alas everything political does, and everything is political.

global warming is a fucking lie made up by stoopid redneck democrats like al gore and hilary clinton

they just make this BS up so they can say bush isn't doing jack shit bout it but it doesnt even exist

I wouldn't say they made it up or are using it to get into power, the theory of global warming has been around for 40 years, it's just today it's become an . Issue.

Climate change is inevitable. Continental drifts, solar radiation, and our orbit around the sun, all impact the environmental conditions we live by. It's not all human invoked, although our activities certainly have some impact upon climate and biodiversity.

We are all, merely temporary guests to this planet. The mentality of let the next generation deal with it is wrong. Instead, the current generations, should be investing in looking at how we can minimise, the footprint we are likely to leave, so that future generations, aren't impacted upon by short-sighted decisions of the past.

I agree with this smile_o.gif

While scientits don't agree on what is causing the warming, they agree its occuring to some extent.  Another point from our friends in thick glasses is that we cannot do anything do stop it.  Al didn't mention that part...

crazy_o.gif

Yes politics has become an unfortunate part of this issue...and frankly has ensured there will be no rational or decisive debate on it.

My favorite example is how legislators want to outlaw the old fashioned light bulbs and force the use of the new, "energy saving" CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) bulbs.  

Only problem is they take more energy to produce and make sure you check the disposal warnings on the packaging.  They contain levels of mercury powder that are hazardous.  A broken bulb in the home could cost you $2,000 for environmental cleanup to remove contamination.  Not to mention what this means for landfills.

Yay eco-green-itarianism!

I agree with this smile_o.gif

Sure, it's partially natural, but does that make it sensible for us to aid the process, as well as our own destruction by emitting masses of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere?

Nope.

Hubert Reeves is also a stupid redneck? icon_rolleyes.gif

and it's true, the polar bear is in danger. if this specie disappears, that would be a huge loss for us.

but animals are not the only ones to be in danger. i take an example; the people of the Tuvalu islands undergo increasingly violent floods, and the level of water goes up in an alarming way. this is the same thing for the Kiribati islands.

2030 if nothing change 28% of the species (plants and animals) will have disappeared.

2100: maybe our specie.

With the current models that are being made, there is something we can do to prevent this. Not forever, though, as the planet has it's natural kinda thing, but it can be slowed down to it's natural rate.

Right now we are on the express train to global warming and then eventually another iceage.

It's good to see countries like China is doing something about it. Europe have done it in many years - now Russia is picking up as well. Now we only lack one large country. Too bad the majority of it's citizents believe that Jesus will come down and save them before his father will destroy the planet - so theres no winning situation for them.

The whole "Global Warming " farce is the biggest attempted armed robbery in the history of the world. Who was the biggest US supporter of the Kyoto Treaty? Enron, because they positioned themselves as the king of energy trading.

All this BS about save the planet etc is just a cover for moving it around - and charging a fortune for the moving - not actual reductions. Cases in point :

1) Ethanol : This has nothing to do with reducing per-capita consumption, this is just about shifting markets. Corn diversion to Ethanol has already had catastropic effects on the corn markets, with the result that people in Mexico have been hit with an exponential rise in the cost of their daily bread.

2) Carbon trading : Again, nothing to do with reductions. There is an entire industry devoted to destroying profitable jobs-producing businesses for divestment and tax writeoffs, idling the factories, and selling the lack of pollution credits to those who can't be bothered to support basic public sanitation in third world countries.

3) NIMBY'ism : Congratulations Naples, Italy, your efforts in combating the 'scourge' of polluting landfills means that your city is now backfilled with an epic Vesuvius of poopy diapers, McDonalds wrappers, and Starbucks Latte cups. Start shoveling what you've been dishing out to others.

4) Commie coddlers : You want to know why people are dieing in Dafur and Iran is building nukes and oil's going through the roof? Who's paying the bills of the people doing that? It all goes back to one place, Beijing. The rest of the world, we may have our nigglies and annoy each other, but we all accept that we all need oil, as much for Cuba and Bolivia as for the US and France. Beijing doesn't think that way, the world beyond the wall doesn't exist, and if it did there's only barbarians anyways. When you put yourself in a sandbox like that, it's going to make for a big mess for a long time to come.

5) Nuke n00bers : Name one messup that wasn't operator error or stupid engineering. There's nothing wrong with nuke tech, it's the n00bers at Chernobyl who didn't read the manual for a system that would never have been authorized outside the Dear Leader's gulag. Instead the luddites hopped up on shrooms want us all back at a hunter-gather state, and blame humans as being a cancer on the world. Last I recall, Osama bin Laden has similar opinions about infidels like them.

I am generally not a person to go with fate.

But this thing with global warming makes me chuckle

While I agree we have a responsibility to the planet the climate isnt gunna do a 180 and comply with our needs..

Sadly I believe we are screwed, mother nature will do what it wants.. we simply have to tow the line  smile_o.gif

The whole "Global Warming â„¢" farce is the biggest attempted armed robbery in the history of the world. Who was the biggest US supporter of the Kyoto Treaty? Enron, because they positioned themselves as the king of energy trading.

All this BS about save the planet etc is just a cover for moving it around - and charging a fortune for the moving - not actual reductions. Cases in point :

1) Ethanol : This has nothing to do with reducing per-capita consumption, this is just about shifting markets. Corn diversion to Ethanol has already had catastropic effects on the corn markets, with the result that people in Mexico have been hit with an exponential rise in the cost of their daily bread.

2) Carbon trading : Again, nothing to do with reductions. There is an entire industry devoted to destroying profitable jobs-producing businesses for divestment and tax writeoffs, idling the factories, and selling the lack of pollution credits to those who can't be bothered to support basic public sanitation in third world countries.

3) NIMBY'ism : Congratulations Naples, Italy, your efforts in combating the 'scourge' of polluting landfills means that your city is now backfilled with an epic Vesuvius of poopy diapers, McDonalds wrappers, and Starbucks Latte cups. Start shoveling what you've been dishing out to others.

4) Commie coddlers : You want to know why people are dieing in Dafur and Iran is building nukes and oil's going through the roof? Who's paying the bills of the people doing that? It all goes back to one place, Beijing. The rest of the world, we may have our nigglies and annoy each other, but we all accept that we all need oil, as much for Cuba and Bolivia as for the US and France. Beijing doesn't think that way, the world beyond the wall doesn't exist, and if it did there's only barbarians anyways. When you put yourself in a sandbox like that, it's going to make for a big mess for a long time to come.

5) Nuke n00bers : Name one messup that wasn't operator error or stupid engineering. There's nothing wrong with nuke tech, it's the n00bers at Chernobyl who didn't read the manual for a system that would never have been authorized outside the Dear Leader's gulag. Instead the luddites hopped up on shrooms want us all back at a hunter-gather state, and blame humans as being a cancer on the world. Last I recall, Osama bin Laden has similar opinions about infidels like them.

Nuclear power is very cheap, but as you said it yaself - it's too dangerous, as humans are bound to f*ck up. Also, what do we do with the waste?

Radioactive waste is a very troublesome area, as the waste have to be deployed safely in thousinds of years. How did the world look like 3000 years ago? And now, with development so much faster, how do you believe the world will look like in 3000 years from now?

You can't even understand how it will look like in 300 years! So how in the world can you guarentee that the world civilisations can store radioactive waste in 3000 years?! You can't. Plus nuclear waste facilitates will be targets in future wars, as the enemy doesn't have to bring their own chemical weapons as they are already stored in the invaded country.

Nopes - the only real possibility is to use natural energy, such as water, the sun and wind.

In denmark, 25% of all energy is created by wind, and by 2020 this number is expected to be 75%. Even though Denmark also have oil drillings in the Northsea, the wind-enery is a very costeffective way to gain energy - and no pollution after manufacture. It has also been good for Denmark as export. 40% of all wind-energy created on the globe is coming from a Danish windmill.

Another way to create energy is using turbines driven by the tide. This is extremely powerfull, as you can calculate how much power it will create at which time. The problem with lasting natural energi, is to store it properly. We all know that windmills doesn't produce electricity when theres no wind. It is so much of a problem, that Denmark annually gives electricity to Norway, Sweden and Germany, as our country simply doesn't have the ressources to store that energy, and is forced to give it away (or simply flush it out - but that serves no purpose).

Germany are having an experiement where instead of storing the energy from the windmills in batteries etc. They use all of the surpluss energy from the mills to pump water from a low destination to a high positioned lake. Whenever theres no wind, a dam is opened and turbines will start producing electricity. When the mills is up running again, the dam is closed and water is pumped right back up. The system is capable of producing energy 24/7.

AnothAnother interesting way of using the wind energy, is by kites. An italien project are researching a kitedriven horisontally wheel, 2 kilometres in diameter. This 'powerplant' will be able to produce as much energy as your average nuclear powerplant and the energy will cost 1/30 of the average European price of electricity. That project is not a reality yet, but they do claim that they will be ready with the plant in 2 years. I do see some technical difficulties, but if the plant will only be 1/10th efficient as they have calculated - the electricity will still be 1/3 of the price right now. Check out an article about it here:

http://www.sequoiaonline.com/blogs/pdf/metro_uk.pdf

The company behind it is located here:

http://www.sequoiaonline.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3

We cannot change how mother nature reacts completely, but we can alter or minimalize the effects that we ourself has created. We have to take care of our planet.

The earth is trying to kill us. The only option is to kill it first and prepare for any counter attacks from the rest of the solar system.

Even if global warming did exist, the apathetic teenagers of today that would be the adults of tomorrow wouldn't give six shits... sad_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

It's real and it'll force us to adapt, sooner or later. Probably in our own life time. Too bad, but mankind is known for it's destructive nature eh? -.-

I agree with this  smile_o.gif

Sure, it's partially natural, but does that make it sensible for us to aid the process, as well as our own destruction by emitting masses of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere?

Nope.

It would of happned anyways even if we wernt here, its our own fault we are making it happen sooner, look back into time theres always Extinction on the Massive scale, Its only a matter of time untill it will be the end of the human race and it will all start over again from square 1. smile_o.gif maybe some creatures will live.

The whole "Global Warming â„¢" farce is the biggest attempted armed robbery in the history of the world. Who was the biggest US supporter of the Kyoto Treaty? Enron, because they positioned themselves as the king of energy trading.

Nuclear power is very cheap, but as you said it yaself - it's too dangerous, as humans are bound to f*ck up. Also, what do we do with the waste?

Radioactive waste is a very troublesome area, as the waste have to be deployed safely in thousinds of years. How did the world look like 3000 years ago? And now, with development so much faster, how do you believe the world will look like in 3000 years from now?

You can't even understand how it will look like in 300 years! So how in the world can you guarentee that the world civilisations can store radioactive waste in 3000 years?! You can't. Plus nuclear waste facilitates will be targets in future wars, as the enemy doesn't have to bring their own chemical weapons as they are already stored in the invaded country.

Nopes - the only real possibility is to use natural energy, such as water, the sun and wind.

In denmark, 25% of all energy is created by wind, and by 2020 this number is expected to be 75%. Even though Denmark also have oil drillings in the Northsea, the wind-enery is a very costeffective way to gain energy - and no pollution after manufacture. It has also been good for Denmark as export. 40% of all wind-energy created on the globe is coming from a Danish windmill.

Another way to create energy is using turbines driven by the tide. This is extremely powerfull, as you can calculate how much power it will create at which time. The problem with lasting natural energi, is to store it properly. We all know that windmills doesn't produce electricity when theres no wind. It is so much of a problem, that Denmark annually gives electricity to Norway, Sweden and Germany, as our country simply doesn't have the ressources to store that energy, and is forced to give it away (or simply flush it out - but that serves no purpose).

Germany are having an experiement where instead of storing the energy from the windmills in batteries etc. They use all of the surpluss energy from the mills to pump water from a low destination to a high positioned lake. Whenever theres no wind, a dam is opened and turbines will start producing electricity. When the mills is up running again, the dam is closed and water is pumped right back up. The system is capable of producing energy 24/7.

AnothAnother interesting way of using the wind energy, is by kites. An italien project are researching a kitedriven horisontally wheel, 2 kilometres in diameter. This 'powerplant' will be able to produce as much energy as your average nuclear powerplant and the energy will cost 1/30 of the average European price of electricity. That project is not a reality yet, but they do claim that they will be ready with the plant in 2 years. I do see some technical difficulties, but if the plant will only be 1/10th efficient as they have calculated - the electricity will still be 1/3 of the price right now. Check out an article about it here:

http://www.sequoiaonline.com/blogs/pdf/metro_uk.pdf

The company behind it is located here:

http://www.sequoiaonline.com/blogs/index.php?blog=3

We cannot change how mother nature reacts completely, but we can alter or minimalize the effects that we ourself has created. We have to take care of our planet.

We could just send the nuclear waste into space for the aliens to look at, no where to put it onto the plant ship it off into space lol

but if another nuke plant explodes [could be terroism] we will be fucked. just look at russia. Cy

I agree with this  smile_o.gif

Nope.

It would of happned anyways even if we wernt here, its our own fault we are making it happen sooner, look back into time theres always Extinction on the Massive scale, Its only a matter of time untill it will be the end of the human race and it will all start over again from square 1.  smile_o.gif maybe some creatures will live.

as we are so smart we should send lots of people into space so when all out plant dies in hundred million yeahs are spaceship will crashlasn onto the new earth. with our history so we will live on.. hehe [sience fiction] anyways the plant is already screwed as when the sun explodes.