Sign in to follow this  
Synide

10-Digit Game Id's?

I surmised that most 10-digit Game Id's are fake, are there legitimate 10-digit Id's around?

'cause i've taken the stance that ALL 10-digit id's are fake and as such whenever I see one I add it to our ban.txt and kick them lock them up and generally are not nice to them.

i assume that all legal ID are in 8 max(since like in OFP there should be shorter like 5 or 7, mine is a 5 in FP), but i might be wrong

Would be nice to get an official statement on this.

I know people will lynch me for this, but to stop people using fake IDs, there should be an online validation process for online play. Like what we have in BF2/2142. It's probably the only thing EA got right.

I do agree on the online validation system. BIS is a good, small company, I could shoot someone for steeling their software.

Quote[/b] ]but to stop people using fake IDs

It´s easy:

You see pirated keys, you hand them to BIS, they put them into their next patch smile_o.gif

It´s been like that all the time. I´m not sure who is responsible for handling that atm though as I always sent them to Placebo.

If someone is stupid enough to post his key along with an image of Arma on some internet pages he shouldn´t be surprised that this is the end of the line for him.

Apart from that....no discussion about copy protection...you know the deal.

I agree on this, and some just think its pathetic.

I believe BIS don't really care about this nor some clans, BIS rader leave it us to decide what to do.

suggestion: don't waste mutch time on this. If "you" are really interested to go forward on this idea/subject (it as my vote) creat a good system that filters all these pirates (illegal ID's), they normally end up destroying our good coop and spirit.

So, its up to the community to solve this issue, not BIS from what i understand.

i dont belive they are fake becuase there is all sorts of sizes and there isnt even a key changer yet wink_o.gif

there isnt even a key changer yet wink_o.gif

I wouldn't be too sure about that.

Just make sure you don't ban people based on guesses.

"It feels... it feels to me like... this ID has to be pirated! BURN IN HELL YOU SCUMBAG! *BAN*"

And at the other end of the line, little Mary, 5 and still wearing diapers, starts to cry as her legal copy of Armed Assault just became impossible to use on her favourite server. Do you feel better now? What?

thumbs-up.gif

"It feels... it feels to me like... this ID has to be pirated! BURN IN HELL YOU SCUMBAG! *BAN*"

And at the other end of the line, little Mary, 5 and still wearing diapers, starts to cry as her legal copy of Armed Assault just became impossible to use on her favourite server. Do you feel better now? What?

thumbs-up.gif

^^ rofl.gif

Nice one. Exaggerated, but essentially correct.

thumbs-up.gif

I totally agree.

~S~ CD

I remember it being discussed a while ago, people saying that players with 10+ digit IDs were using illegal copies and whatnot. However, unless I missed something, BIS have maybe changed this now. We all don't want (I think) people with legitimate copies being banned just because of their ID.

there isnt even a key changer yet wink_o.gif

Actually, there is a key changer. sad_o.gif

thumbs-up.gif

^^  rofl.gif

Nice one. Exaggerated, but essentially correct.

Agreed... wink_o.gif

there isnt even a key changer yet  wink_o.gif

the fact is, i think i have already informed suma

the fact is, i think i have already informed suma

Good smile_o.gif I guess those IDs will now be useless in the next patch, until another bunch of keys comes out sad_o.gif

Still, every little bit helps.

Quote[/b] ]but to stop people using fake IDs

It´s easy:

You see pirated keys, you hand them to BIS, they put them into their next patch smile_o.gif

It´s been like that all the time. I´m not sure who is responsible for handling that atm though as I always sent them to Placebo.

If someone is stupid enough to post his key along with an image of Arma on some internet pages he shouldn´t be surprised that this is the end of the line for him.

Apart from that....no discussion about copy protection...you know the deal.

Having a database of illegal keys in each patch is ineffective if they can generate new keys 100x faster than you can block them.

The time to generate a key is probably much shorter than the patch cycle... it's like putting the time on a newspaper, rapidly out of date!

ummm... thanks for the replys.... cool.

As i said in first post... because there is no definitive answer as to whether there are any legitimate id's >= 10-digit... for ease of managment i'll stick the my current rule of thumb = ban.

Oh I should mention i'm only banning these id's on our server and not global banning... if there is a legitmate (or even a couple) id that is banned from our server well i think i can live with that... and they can contact us if they so desire.

Another Question - BIS, Now that 'ban.txt' is not write-locked in 1.07 does the Engine poll the file for changes?

eg. Can I note an in-game 10-digit ID and alt-tab, add it to ban.txt, alt-tab back in and kick them? And, will they be blocked? - please say yes!! smile_o.gif

ummm... thanks for the replys.... cool.

As i said in first post... because there is no definitive answer as to whether there are any legitimate id's >= 10-digit... for ease of managment i'll stick the my current rule of thumb = ban.

Oh I should mention i'm only banning these id's on our server and not global banning... if there is a legitmate (or even a couple) id that is banned from our server well i think i can live with that... and they can contact us if they so desire.

Another Question - BIS, Now that 'ban.txt' is not write-locked in 1.07 does the Engine poll the file for changes?

eg. Can I note an in-game 10-digit ID and alt-tab, add it to ban.txt, alt-tab back in and kick them? And, will they be blocked? - please say yes!! smile_o.gif

+

Quote[/b] ]I surmised that most 10-digit Game Id's are fake, are there legitimate 10-digit Id's around?

'cause i've taken the stance that ALL 10-digit id's are fake and as such whenever I see one I add it to our ban.txt and kick them lock them up and generally are not nice to them.

=

not to be posted on a platform, where not only adults

getting access.

Sorry, but since noone officially confirmed the guess

which your 'local' bans are based upon and you confirmed

that you don't have a clue wether it's like that or not (in

your first post) i can only: banghead.gif

though it's your server (or at least you rule there) and therefore it's your decision what you're doing there.

Just on a sidenote: if that were a process at the law court,

you'd had no chance to success in acusing one with only

a guess - think about it. icon_rolleyes.gif

~S~ CD

@Chris... I appreciate your desire to not to talk about nefarious activities in the official BIS forums but my concerns are quite legitimate as you are probably well aware.

I have previously taken the stance to just let 'sleeping dogs lie' and wait out the natural evolution of the story of ArmA (as it was with OFP), but due to a recent spate of cheaters on our server I have modified my admin. policy in this regard.

I don't believe my stance is heavy handed. I tend to err on the side of caution. And it is based on some testing by one of our members.

Perhaps I shouldn't have use the word 'surmised' in my first post as that gave the impression that I was asking this question based entirely on a hunch. Where as I should have used the word 'concluded' as that would have given the impression that this question was being asked based on 'some knowledge'... my apologies.

Also, of the 20 odd ids currently in our ban.txt file 14 are 10-digits long and 2 are longer. Not one of the people that used those id's has availed themselves of our process to remove said id's from the ban list.

I find this method of administration of our ArmA server both time consuming and quite frankly annoying.

It would have been solved quite easily with the 'verifySignatures=1;' parameter in the server.cfg file but alas this still does not work as BIS have yet to do a patch that brings all the signature files into line with the given .exe of the day. This will I'm sure happen at some point.

Anyhoo, thanks all for imparting what imformation you have, I'll stick with my current policy until something changes and I can modify it.

Cheers.

9-digit IDs are also pirate copies. I don't know if there are legit ones that are 9 digits, but there are definitely pirate ones.

Longest legal ones I have seen are 8 digits.

Well i cant belive that. Im sorry but in my clan we all have legit copies and all differnt sizes plus 2 10digits.. these guys arnt the guys to download illegal copies, plus when you look around servers there are many differnt sizes. Yeah in OFP there was only a few sizes but this is not OFP.

And unless someone like Suma Tells me differnt i cant belive that 9-10 digid ids are illegal copies.

hmm - i already posted my opinion for both cases

so no need to turn around after every post me thinks. biggrin_o.gif

@Synide: since you now say you know that they're

faked id's;

could you provide any link to an official statement

or anything else that would proove you're right?

Though i know you don't need to do so because you owe

me or anybody else nothing but since you started this

thread it would be a nice move of yours.

Until such a clarification appears i doubt that it would

make any sense to continue a discussion here.

~S~ CD