Sign in to follow this  
jerryhopper

Placebo Radio interview

ofpforum you would even find an excuse if you even would not get an empty paper box for your money.

Well, I had my thoughts, but always when in this forum the fears were expressed it could be like that, I was almost killed by the fanboys.

And that is MY knowledge, and I expressed a OFP 1.5 would be ok from feature point of view, but NOT totally bugged.

But the usual geek going into a shop does not read this forum and it is not his duty to read this forum - he is a consumer - hence an easy victim - they were counting on this.

I bought it - months before it came out, without having the chance to test it as a demo.

This is just guessing, but they do not released a demo on purpose cause nobody would have bought it after testing ArmA 1.00.

I expressed it in previous threds: Clean and fair business behavior would have been to release an early demo and several public betas as they do today and later a commercial release with a solid version.

Today we know that just bridging (German release date til 1.05 = 6 months) half a year would have been required to maintain a clean business behaviour. I do not know how BIs payroll looks like. As an example: keeping 15 telco engineers happy for 12 months cost in average 6.300.000,-€ assuming they are fixed employees, no contractors, no leading role. I am not sure if it is necessary and worth to damage BIs reputation for those peanuts. Of curse that would mean 6,3M€ or a part of it further away from break even, but the resources they have to throw now into bug fixing and PR they could have invested in development.

ofpforum you would even find an excuse if you even would not get an empty paper box for your money.

I would have known if it was a turd in a box, and then decide wether to buy it or not.

The reason i didnt buy BF2 was because i tried the demo, i didnt just run to the shop the day it came out because it claims to be realistic, and then complain afterwards it isnt.

Ofcourse its discussable if its fair or not to release a game in whatever state, but in the end its up to the consumer to buy it or not. whistle.gif

I&C why does every thread in the General forum collapse on you?

Sorry you didn't find your 'Virtual manhood' in this "Virtual Military Simulator"

I&C, I've tried to hold my tongue for weeks now, but lost it here.  For the love of God, please stop acting like you're a 'victim', a 'control freak' and an 'arse'.  I can't take the smear campaign you are doing across the forum.. Everywhere I go are your remarks (some snide, some just negative, few neutral or better) that are dropping the forum morale and creating anger and open hostility.  Blame and critique are something even a baby can do because it only takes personal opinion and no objective thought.  Get some facts.  

1- As OFPforum stated, most any early ArmA review, if you read it through, stated 'beware', 'unfinished', 'rushed' and 'buggy'. The community was warned by 2nd party, non-BIS gamers before release.  Fact.  

2- BIS is not done with development, and it is improving by leaps and bounds.  The 1.02, 1.05, 1.05beta, 1.06, 1.07beta versions prove this.  Fact.  (though some are blinded by desire and too impatient to be satisfied with such progress, forgetting the bugs and patches of the titles they played before ArmA)

3- *deleted* more rude than factual

4- 8800 is not just BISs' issue here, known problems plague the card series with quirkyness, so don't go there.  Fact.

And yes it is the usual crowd that crucifies you because either by language barrier or intent, you come off as a spoiled child that is not getting his way, many here can't believe someone can be so full of themselves.  Do you have some good ideas?   Yes, you do.  Who wants to implement them when you give such ideas in a scornfully negative -or as I have seen earlier- even insulting manner? ...

My $0.02.

Whatever you say, how is this related to the Placebo interview and what he said?

Quote[/b] ]

Blame and critique are something even a baby can do because it only takes personal opinion and no objective thought. Get some facts.

Yea, Placebo committed some facts.

1.) Sorry, I talk about November 2006, they called it GOLD. At that time I could not imagine that BI would release such a ****. And I ordered long time ago on amazon and the SE for a sentimental reason. Again, the street shopper does not read any forum, he just buys trusting the cover.

2.) I agree, there is nothing wrong in general with the current process, I talk about 2006 and early 2007. For the late buyers 1.05/1.07 is just after release, for me as one of the first 6 months are gone and that thing improved, but still unacceptable buggy.

3.) I can stand it, send me as PM if it is to rude

4.) I agree, I recognized that the issues I had with 8800 and 1.05 are gone with 1.05+ and Suma gave a short hint what they have done to make ArmA less sensitive against some other oddities.

But that is gone, I just recommended recently to upgrade to 160.03 since the returned BSODs in 1.07beta gone with that. So it was a driver issue.

Quote[/b] ]you come off as a spoiled child that is not getting his way, many here can't believe someone can be so full of themselves. Do you have some good ideas? Yes, you do. Who wants to implement them when you give such ideas in a scornfully negative -or as I have seen earlier- even insulting manner? ...

As I tried to explain in older replies: The nice and gentle way lead into being ignored by BI. I never got a working communication channel only nice and sometimes rude "NO"s.

The " spoiled child " way works better, even if I do not like to be like that - it helps.

My 08.15€

The interview with Placebo was very compelling and anyone who've ever moderated a gaming forum understood the toll Placebo paid. I&C underlines Placobo's suttle comments, about the constant nagging he had to put up with, with big letters written in the sky. Placebo handled this as he should, when you invite the griefers in under your skin, you have to go away. Because their consistancy is unrelentles and will carve you out like waterdrops on a rock. It's takes time to come to such a decision, to adandom a community for it's and ones own sake.

It was clear that Placebo had enjoyed this great oppotunity, but that he also needed to recharge his batteries. It's a shame though, that someone with a through-and-though negative attitude, can hijack the genral forum and poison every toipic. I guess wishing these 48 hours of heavenly silence never to end, was to much to ask for.

I support BIS for everything there doing and im sure others do too. I even bought Czech, German, Atari Download, and USA version from Amazon.

I look at it as an investment in Entertainment. Bis is fixing things very quickly and im gratefull for this. These forums were not designed to have arguments in every thread that is open.

Like I said on page 4 these negative comments do not help the development of ArmA... They might do the opposite...

I&C plzz stop your complaining and turning everything in these forums into a debate.. Its getting old...

OnTopic: Jerry I hope possibly one day maybe you can interview some big wigs in the BIS company. That would be nice... Maybe Maruk or Suma... or even some 3d modelers...

I know this is a long shot but it could happen........

@ Dallas:

As I said, he was the right guy....at the wrong position. If he can not stand it, he should not take such a job.

He had to stand much less then the usual girl in a call center in a telecom operator has to stand DAY BY DAY ON THE PHONE.

I mean I would be also the right guy in the wrong position if I would be the the head ambassador for Russia in US or visa versa.

You can imagine, WW3 would be just few days ahead...

Quote[/b] ]I have a tree in my backyard you'd look great hanging from.

That is not fair since I can not reply.

You are allowed to say that, I would get immediately a week holidays.

But hey...binkster I know you are brain-dead you are excused.

I have not heard any real argument against mine, except they are negative.

Considering the utter crap from incurably self-centered and insatiably whiny people like I&C dish out on a regular basis, is it any wonder the rest of us say "thank you" from the bottom of our hearts to Placebo in sympathy for the massive amount of crap he had to put up with for the sake of BIS?

I&C : Your lack of due diligence in both your hardware and software fetish obsessions does not obligate BIS or the community in anyway to grovel at your malcontented feet. You heap abuse on BIS left and right and insult the generous leniency extended by the moderators. You furthermore fail to entertain the notion that your bleeding edge 8800 card of a prototype level product may well be as flawed as the software you claim is crap. Both of those abject failures in judgement are yours alone, and does not obligate the community to extend any unreasonable courtesy that they have not done so already.

I guess Debate was the wrong word... Your bitching on every thread is getting old, I think everyone understands your view and your reasons for being here... I read post everyday and If i can help someone with something I try and do something helpfull.. I have not once bashed anyone on these forums and I dont intend to bash you... But reading your post in every thread about how you think the game is crap is again getting old.... If you hate it so bad then move on and bash some other game or develop one yourself...

This topic among others are now OFFTOPIC because of your negetive bashing of BIS. Dont get me wrong, this is off topic because of me and others as well trying to defend BIS, so another words, try and not start arguments even though its not against the rules...

I&C i find it funny that everyone here that is posting against your main point. BIS released Armed Assault before it was ready for the whole point of getting money for a game that was a least a year away from being done. I guess alot of you are ok with the bait and switch that took place, good for you that you want to be Beta testers.

If BIS needed money so bad they should have come up with a community program that for those that wanted to send them $20.00 dollars to become part of a beta testing group with them getting a final release copy of the game for free i bet we here in the forums would have a whole different look and feel.

The market will take care of BIS , not a bunch of yes men.

Alright. lets get a few things straight.

INNOCENT&CLUELESS: freedom of speech is limited here - Thank god for that!

why? it prevents useless insults and endles looping conversations.

now, this topic is on the virge of being closed by moderators, so i suggest you cool down and start complaining thru mail or PM.

btw , i do this for fun, and what i really dont like? - people that spoil my fun and effort such as you in this thread.

Whatever the moderator's decision is, your no longer a friend in my book.

band.gif

anything else:

This thread is about the interview with placebo.

any constructive critics will be taken in consideration in a possible followup.

note that the critics/replies should not be provocative or insulting.

Ok this thread isn't about bitching about BIS and the early release. We've all been through that, if you want to complain there are several posts for complaints. I&C move on you've made your views known, its getting a bit tiresome and your not contributing much to thread.

Move this thread back on topic please or it will be shutdown.

/moderators hat off...

I really enjoyed the interview, I thought Placebo spoke very passionate about the community, OFP and ArmA. Its not often you come across someone who really puts alot of effort into making a community a better place.

On the TrackIR side of things, I hate that I can't walk into a store and purchase the damn thing. But sadly enough I think I'll be buying one.

trackIR...eh....neat technology, I wish I had it sometimes. Probably wont get it though, not interested in a "hundred dollar mouse"

I enjoyed the Placebo interview. It was good to put a "face" to the name. I have communicated many times with Placebo, most good, some bad. I respected him, and wish he was still apart of the community, rather then the "ghost" he appears to be now.

On the TrackIR side of things, I hate that I can't walk into a store and purchase the damn thing.

Yeah, it would be nice and probably beneficial to both Naturalpoint and us (profit/cost) if it were so.

i brought it from a locat dealer smile_o.gif

nice piece of HW, price is a bit high and surely needs some getting use to, but i would not go into a chopper or plane or a town without turning it on

160€ + 40€ for the clip is not cheap. But worth every euro.

I just tested it and could not get used to it, but once you are familiar I assume you can not live without.

But the ArmA users above 25 spending already a fortune for the rig can not tell me that they do not find those 200€ for this excellent gear.

well after all you have to be sure that you can affort it b4 getting it isnt it? confused_o.gif

@ 4 in 1: Right.

But my philosophy: no savings on Mouse, keyboard, game-controller, screen, reason is that I will reuse it with 2-3 rigs. If there is a need to save money for a new rig, search for the best HW and then go back 1 or 2 generations, that could save easily 20-50% per item by dropping less then 20% performance usually. So in this case if I have the choice to get the TrckIR or the next bigger CPU, I would go for the TrackIR and buy the CPU when it is cheaper.

@ jerry:

Quote[/b] ]Whatever the moderator's decision is, your no longer a friend in my book.

I was not aware that we are friends already, missed that point.

Or maybe friend in English is the same as a mate.

But maybe you could still consider some Qs:

- Assuming Placebo could choose his working place and cut his responsibility area: What would he like to do in this case? Again Community manager or rather PR manager giving general advises to the community manager or something totally different?

- What would he suggesting if he would be the CEO of a company with a similar product as BI has? How would he approach the market. The point regarding missing advertisement was valid, also that it needs to evaluated if it would return the investment. But there are cheaper ways to publish short movies, and there are well known guys out there making excellent ArmA movies. Would Placebo agree that this should be used more proactive by BI?

What kind of pricing structure he would suggest?

- The basic idea of the products OFP and ArmA are unique in the market. Would he (as the CEO of a virtual game dev) change something or stress some aspects like better or less tool support,

more or less documentation etc. Basically the mix and priority of what he would offer.

- If he would be the PR manager, how would he basically sell his product and via which channels and how would he select the publisher (if he doesnt prefer to do the publishing alone).

Jerry I'd also want to adress the side comment you made to Placebo about interviewing someone from TheKowardClan(or whatever their initials stand for). I don't know quite how to put it nicely, but without doubt, I feel this is poor judgement. First you establish Sahrani as a community platform and use this platform to promote their terrorist like agenda and destructive downloads. Do you really want Sahrani radio, to allow them access to the community, which they are trying to ruin? This would be something you should give serious thought.

I would have great difficulty having to support anyone who allowed themselves to be used as their messenger. These guys is that they have no ethics at all, they'll say one thing, while doing the direct opposite. They'll use this as an recruitment oppotunity and they'll hurt your exelent reputation and the radio's. Don't go for the easy scoop points, think through the consequences, think through their community motives and their reason to exist.

They thrive on wrecking servers, causing grief,  what could they possible have to say, that I want to hear on Sahrani radio? I've dealt with them for three years as a moderator on the Pterodon Vietcong boards, I've put up with their ****, lies and banned them over and over for promoting their downloads.

Don't do it to yourself and your radio. confused_o.gif

Jerry I'd also want to adress the side comment you made to Placebo about interviewing someone from TheKowardClan(or whatever their initials stand for). I don't know quite how to put it nicely, but without doubt, I feel this is poor judgement. First you establish Sahrani as a community platform and use this platform to promote their terrorist like agenda and destructive downloads. Do you really want Sahrani radio, to allow them access to the community, which they are trying to ruin? This would be something you should give serious thought.

I would have great difficulty having to support anyone who allowed themselves to be used as their messenger. These guys is that they have no ethics at all, they'll say one thing, while doing the direct opposite. They'll use this as an recruitment oppotunity and they'll hurt your exelent reputation and the radio's. Don't go for the easy scoop points, think through the consequences, think through their community motives and their reason to exist.

They thrive on wrecking servers, causing grief,  what could they possible have to say, that I want to hear on Sahrani radio? I've dealt with them for three years as a moderator on the Pterodon Vietcong boards, I've put up with their ****, lies and banned them over and over for promoting their downloads.

Don't do it to yourself and your radio. confused_o.gif

dallas, theres something on this world called joke confused_o.gif

dallas, theres something on this world called joke confused_o.gif

Cool, I missed it, the joke. If it was a joke, then the joke's on me. smile_o.gif